• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Patryn said:
Re: "Secret" character:
If you pick Morinth, yes, Samara dies. And, yes, you can get her if you're enough of EITHER paragon or renegade. Don't ask me why being a paragon helps you get a sociopathic killer, but whatever.

you can get killed by Morinth later on too :p that was hilarious

Won

Can't decide on a class for my second playthrough. Since I played as Soldier on my first go, everything seems so damn interesting. :lol

:(

Samara

Is there a way to know what the teamates classes are? in Me1 you could see if one was 50% tech and combat, but here I have no idea. it sucks! oh and I'll download the dlc tomorrow, but I think its too late too go back now

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
sweetwasabi said:
Is there a way to know what the teamates classes are? in Me1 you could see if one was 50% tech and combat, but here I have no idea. it sucks! oh and I'll download the dlc tomorrow, but I think its too late too go back now

You can look at their "skills" on the squad selection screen. It gives you an indication of their class.

Patryn

Unlike in the first game, your teammates don't have the same classes as offered to the player. They're all weird hybrids.

In fact, the only unique class ability that any party members have is the drone, so don't expect to see a squad member with charge or tech armor or what have you.

notworksafe

So I'm a little confused on some of late game recruitment/loyalty quests (Tali and
Legion
)

I don't want anyone to die on my Paragon playthrough (on Renegade I'll just let it play out however). I've also read that Tali's loyalty quest has extra dialogue if you take Legion. But you don't get Legion until the IFF mission and you don't have much time after that. So my question is...is it possible to get Legion and do both his and Tali's loyalty missions without losing anyone or should I just do Tali's before and just rush to the end once I get Legion? Do I even have time to do Legion's loyalty mission?

dralla

I started a second character. I thought it said it would carry over my heavy weapons, I was really tired so I might have misread it. Now, if I pick Advaned Training again in the Lab area, will that over write the one I got to pick when I created my character or will I be able to learn a new one, making for 2 bonus bowers? Last, can I ever learn to use a new gun? I picked Adept and all I can use is SMG/Pistol, I'd like to try the AR.

Metroidvania

dralla said:
I started a second character. I thought it said it would carry over my heavy weapons, I was really tired so I might have misread it. Now, if I pick Advaned Training again in the Lab area, will that over write the one I got to pick when I created my character or will I be able to learn a new one, making for 2 bonus bowers? Last, can I ever learn to use a new gun? I picked Adept and all I can use is SMG/Pistol, I'd like to try the AR.

If you picked adept, you should have been able to learn a secondary weapon skill on your first playthrough while on the
Deserted Collector ship

And I recall reading that you can get a "starting" bonus power AND a new secondary power, yes. But I'm not certain.

Doodis

Question about the end of the game:

Without revealing spoilers (since I'm not there yet), does it matter where you've built up your squad members' skills pertaining to whether or not they stay alive? I'm noticing several of them have talents you can invest in to build up their health, and I'm just wondering if this has any effect on their survival.

Metroidvania

Doodis said:
Question about the end of the game:

Without revealing spoilers (since I'm not there yet), does it matter where you've built up your squad members' skills pertaining to whether or not they stay alive? I'm noticing several of them have talents you can invest in to build up their health, and I'm just wondering if this has any effect on their survival.

Nope.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Can somebody explain to me how I'm collecting rare metals off of gas giants? :lol

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Enosh said:
The Legacy of Kain series also has amazing VA, Kain, Raziel and the Eldar God in particlural

speaking of which Kain is in ME2 :D

edit: wtf imdb says Claudia Black is in ME2 o_O
as who?
She was one of
the Quarian admiralty

Theres a few other Dragon Age voices in that scene for the observant

Patryn

notworksafe said:
So I'm a little confused on some of late game recruitment/loyalty quests (Tali and
Legion
)

I don't want anyone to die on my Paragon playthrough (on Renegade I'll just let it play out however). I've also read that Tali's loyalty quest has extra dialogue if you take Legion. But you don't get Legion until the IFF mission and you don't have much time after that. So my question is...is it possible to get Legion and do both his and Tali's loyalty missions without losing anyone or should I just do Tali's before and just rush to the end once I get Legion? Do I even have time to do Legion's loyalty mission?

For some people, yes. But it's risky. The nature of the timer is unpredictable.

Samara

someone help a girl out ; at the suicidal mission start
So how do I make my people live. i sent garrus and legion at the first team, second, I made Samara come with me for the biotic shield, and Thane for the rest of the capitain...and he died! did I pick the wrong person, if so who should i choose at each path.

notworksafe

Patryn said:
For some people, yes. But it's risky. The nature of the timer is unpredictable.

Yes to which?
Tali and Legion or just Legion?
I suppose I could just make a save before and see what happens. I can't wait til my Renegade play through so
I can just let everyone die. :D

I'm always low on credits. Any suggestions? I'm almost done with all the loyalty missions and I generally don't have a lot of credits to buy all the upgrades from shops. How can I get more? I've been doing side missions and such also.

Maybe I need to stop buying hamsters and shit?

Whelp...I decided to make a alternate character starting from ME1 that I will carry over to ME2 and eventually ME3 after beating the game with my main.

And I decided to go with Han solo shepard. A guy who is a renegade but still does the right thing in the end....for example...he will disconnect/hang up on the council whenever they talk to him...but he will save them in the end. Cause while he is an asshole...he still does the right thing in the end.

han-solo.jpg

hanshep.jpg

hanshep2.jpg

what's funny is shepard's voice sounds a tiny bit like harrison ford's

Enosh said:
no just no

I hate that in every game

having the main character talk is way better than the silent protagonist, I like ME a lot more as a RPG beacose the main character actualy speaks it ads that extra something to a dialog, it just looks stupid when you just stand there while every else is talking

speaking of which:
http://kotaku.com/5460737/tacit-dissent-why-great-characters-must-speak

oh and the "suicide mission" song is simply awesome
Agreed with the silent protagonist part. In FPS it's okay with me, when it's done like in Half Life 2 where you usually don't actually see yourself. But when you play in 3rd person all the time it's awkward.
I also prefer the female Shepard's voice acting but I don't think the male one is bad at all. The delivery is sometimes a little too unemotional, that's all.

So I just realized that I'm nearing completing my squad points and I fucked up my Miranda (Put too many in Slam, I got hasty when I unlocked it and dumped lots of points into it thinking it was going to be awesome and it really isn't). In my newgame+ will it let me re-allocate skill points to the squad?

Kraut

Draft said:
Haha, for real? The only big bug I've had in my entire ME2 playthrough occured during Samara's loyalty quest.
While she was having a crazy fight with her daughter, the sound cut out completely. I had no idea what they were saying to each other (subs off), though it sure looked cool. And then a prompt pops up and asks if I want to kill Samara or her daughter. That's crazy that you can recruit the daughter instead.

Had this exact same isssue. I thought at first it was my headphones or a plug got loose.

I also had a bug with the mission delivering stuff to Ish. I went and talked to him, took the boyscout route and told him off, but the mission is still active, telling me to go and talk to him (but he's not there).

Patryn

notworksafe said:
Yes to which?
Tali and Legion or just Legion?
I suppose I could just make a save before and see what happens.

Both. Some people have been able to do two missions before the attack on the ship, some people (like me) only get a single mission.

MisterAnderson said:
So I just realized that I'm nearing completing my squad points and I fucked up my Miranda (Put too many in Slam, I got hasty when I unlocked it and dumped lots of points into it thinking it was going to be awesome and it really isn't). In my newgame+ will it let me re-allocate skill points to the squad?

in ur newgame+ u start over....unless ur talking about continueing the same game ur playing now...

but yea, if u carry shepard to a brand new game...u keep all ur stuff (upgrades/exp on ur character) but ur squad all start from scratch

So that skill where you can learn specialties? I got the grenades. How the hell do I learn something else with that and whats the requirements to learn said other abilities?

notworksafe

Patryn said:
Both. Some people have been able to do two missions before the attack on the ship, some people (like me) only get a single mission.

Okay. Well I'll just make a save before
I even start the IFF mission so I can go back in case of a screwup.

Solo

Goddamn. It sucks that after finally getitng to sink a lot of time into the game this weekend, I wont have much time to pick it up again until next weekend.

Im gonna go through withdrawel this week.

Samara

Doodis

Fixed2BeBroken said:
in ur newgame+ u start over....unless ur talking about continueing the same game ur playing now...

but yea, if u carry shepard to a brand new game...u keep all ur stuff (upgrades/exp on ur character) but ur squad all start from scratch
Does new game+ let you choose a different class for your character, or are you stuck with what you were on your first playthrough?

I've been debating what route to go with my second playthrough (currently male paragon vanguard, original I know) and all the femShep love is making me think its the only way to go. Renegade femShep infiltrator to mix things up.

v0yce

Draft said:
Haha, for real? The only big bug I've had in my entire ME2 playthrough occured during Samara's loyalty quest.
While she was having a crazy fight with her daughter, the sound cut out completely. I had no idea what they were saying to each other (subs off), though it sure looked cool. And then a prompt pops up and asks if I want to kill Samara or her daughter. That's crazy that you can recruit the daughter instead.

Same thing happened to me. Luckily I had subs on.

Another bug I ran into was happened was when I was
interrogating that guy during Thane's mission, I couldn't get the Paragon option to work. Both good cop and bad cop led me to renegade interrupts. I even tried the "what plan?" option and it didn't work either.
It sucked because even if you save right before starting that part, you have to sit through about 10 minutes or so of cutscene before you can start over.

And another glitch that happened was in the
big room with the Geth Collossus right before you rescure Tali I died a few times there but restarted and took my time and killed the Collossus and mopped up the straglers and was done, only to find one lone scrup geth standing there doing nothing. The red box would appear on him and my squads mates would shoot him but he wouldn't fight back, no health bar would appear and he wouldn't die. Which meant I couldn't open the door to get Tali. I shockwaved him all the way across that arena and nothing would happen.
Had to reload the autosave and do the fight all over.

And I've flown to the ceiling twice in the game. I would walk close to a wall and then all of a sudden I would start floating up and get stuck.

BobsRevenge said:
The game needed less squad-mates imo. The game really didn't have much of a core story because of trying to fit too many people in.

Gather squad, get IFF, destroy ship. That's it. There's no intrigue or betrayals or anything.

I could've done without Jack, Grunt, and the justicar. Could've done without Thane too, actually.

Miranda was okay. Garrus was boring.

I really only cared about Jacob, Tali, and Mordin.

Garrus was boring? Garrus is the fucking man. He had reach, she had flexibility, damnit!

Goddamn, Vanguard is so fucking fun if you go the Champion route. Your power cooldown bonus lets you bounce around the battlefield wreaking havoc. Max charge + Champion is highly recommended by me.

Doodis said:
Does new game+ let you choose a different class for your character, or are you stuck with what you were on your first playthrough?

same class dude....sucks....so only point of new game+ is to get higher level

Digital Limit said:
Garrus was boring? Garrus is the fucking man. He had reach, she had flexibility, damnit!

:lol best story in the game!

Einbroch

Banned
Sir Garbageman said:
I've been debating what route to go with my second playthrough (currently male paragon vanguard, original I know) and all the femShep love is making me think its the only way to go. Renegade femShep infiltrator to mix things up.
It's her voice, man.

<3

Patryn said:
Really? I kept accidentally killing my fish, but whenever I went back, I could always buy more. Had you cleaned out the dead fish? You have to have a totally empty tank for them to reset I think.

...oh SHIT! There they are! Bioware redeemed! :lol

It's interesting to read about Vanguards. Curious if they nerfed them because of how it seemed like EVERYBODY played one in ME1.

The second day I was playing, clicked the button for "Friends Playing Mass Effect 2," and literally every single person was a Vanguard or Infiltrator. :lol

Patryn said:
They definitely need more weapons. Having generally two in each category is horrible. Makes me wonder why they even bothered having more than one.

Well, there's actually three: your starting weapon, the upgrade you find on a mission, and then the extra-powerful class-upgrade weapon. But I agree, it's still not enough.

I actually have no problem with the research system for weapons entirely replacing finding individual guns as loot, but I'd really prefer it to be much beefier. Maybe 4-5 guns to choose from for each category, all with different stat qualities that are explicitly listed (clip size, firing speed, armor penetration, damage, etc.) It'd be great if they could bring back weapon-upgrades like the first game too, either researched or looted, so I could pick whether I wanted to use pistol X with extra damage or extra clip size or whatever.

If they did that for ME3, I'd be totally happy.

Cep said:
Easy fixes:

-At least 5 different weapons in each weapon class. Each handle differently, each useful throughout the game.

-Each NPC gets a special weapon.

-Armor stats completely disassociated from looks

-Each NPC's class works significantly different than those of others (Tali and
Legion
are too similar).

-Weapon and armor load-outs customizable from the menu

-NPCs get several costumes(3 or 4), each with a different bonuses.

-2-3X as much "loot"

Wow. Yeah. Actually. Exactly this, pretty much.

MegaKungFuRadio said:
Pistols are actually incredibly strong in this game.

Insanely so.

I'm really happy with almost every other weapon option (pistols are powerful and fun to use, the second submachine gun is extraordinarily useful, the sniper rifle is fun as hell) but I'm really pissed that the shottie is so nerfed. :(

Inferno313 said:
I don't understand why this is a problem with so many people. Plenty of great stories are Character-driven. Why can't a video game be?

Well... we're not talking about "a" video game, we're talking about Mass Effect 2.

I think generally speaking the ME2 squad is awesome (way better than the team in the first game), the loyalty missions are quite excellent, and the character-driven aspect of the game is a success, but it comes at the expense of a far more anemic plot than the first game. In ME1 you meet your primary antagonist early on, build a personal grudge against him, and are always running up against his negative actions in every plot mission you do. In ME2 it's really hard to care in comparison. Weaving the Collectors into the story of the recruitment/loyalty missions or inserting more plot missions into the game would've helped tremendously.

Draft said:
My vanguard build has max charge, that shotgun, and I favor gear that buffs my shields. I charge, I melee, I shoot, and that kills almost every normal enemy, regardless of shields/barriers, on advanced.

Oh man I've gotta try this on my second playthrough. I looked at the options, remembered how crappy my regular shotgun was, and audibled into the Use Pull And Sniper Rifle From A Distance build.

Palette Swap said:
Am I imagining very nerdy shit or is this real?

No, that was definitely on purpose. There's also a Firefly reference in the Zaeed DLC, and other references to big sci-fi works sprinkled throughout the game.

And in ME1 the scientists at the beginning say "thank the Maker." Although that didn't prepare me for the biggest reference to Babylon 5 in Mass Effect which is the entire universe design and plot. :lol

BenjaminBirdie said:
Trivialized? I don't think I've been on more than one or two quests that didn't call back to ME1 and/or a decision I made there.

I don't think 90% of the decisions from ME1 called for anything more than what they did in ME2 to call back to them (and several of them, like the reporter and Conrad are actively awesome) but I'd say some of the big decisions -- especially the council and who survives the first game -- are trivialized.

Sir Garbageman said:
Yup; after finding the combat medicore with Vanguard on Normal I went Renegade Female Shepard Infilitrator on Second Playthrough. It's a thousand times more rewarding and enjoyable. The only caveat being that I'm scared to be Renegade towards my squad-mates for fear of disloyalty.

MisterAnderson said:
Goddamn, Vanguard is so fucking fun if you go the Champion route. Your power cooldown bonus lets you bounce around the battlefield wreaking havoc. Max charge + Champion is highly recommended by me.
Any difficulty over Veteran and Charge might as well not be in the game.

notworksafe

v0yce said:
And another glitch that happened was in the
big room with the Geth Collossus right before you rescure Tali I died a few times there but restarted and took my time and killed the Collossus and mopped up the straglers and was done, only to find one lone scrup geth standing there doing nothing. The red box would appear on him and my squads mates would shoot him but he wouldn't fight back, no health bar would appear and he wouldn't die. Which meant I couldn't open the door to get Tali. I shockwaved him all the way across that arena and nothing would happen.
Had to reload the autosave and do the fight all over.

That's funny. The bug I had for that was that it didn't react at all when I attacked it. I killed it right away before
I even talked to the Quarian guy. I went down and had the conversation about him not throwing his life away anyway. Didn't make much sense.
.:lol

v0yce said:
Same thing happened to me.

Yeah, I think it's universal.

Another bug I ran into was happened was when I was
interrogating that guy during Thane's mission, I couldn't get the Paragon option to work. Both good cop and bad cop led me to renegade interrupts.

That's not a bug. You
only have a renegade interrupt option because the only way to interrupt is to hit the guy. However, if you have Thane be the Bad Cop (at least, it might work the other way too) you can use the Paragon dialogue options and eventually intimidate the guy enough that he spills.

Samara

Wait, wait, wait! garrus is a romance option?!?!:lol

holy shit, who else? cause everytime I go speak to him, he tells me another time, Im busy doing something.

actually, these people don't speak much do they.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Patryn said:
Re: "Secret" character:
If you pick Morinth, yes, Samara dies. And, yes, you can get her if you're enough of EITHER paragon or renegade. Don't ask me why being a paragon helps you get a sociopathic killer, but whatever.

This is what I was talking about =) glad I wasn't the only one to test the character out.

DevelopmentArrested said:
Yup; after finding the combat medicore with Vanguard on Normal I went Renegade Female Shepard Infilitrator on Second Playthrough. It's a thousand times more rewarding and enjoyable. The only caveat being that I'm scared to be Renegade towards my squad-mates for fear of disloyalty.

I found Vanguard to be not that great early on but extremely rewarding later on. Having a fucking blast with my Vanguard, but planning on Infiltrator next. Actually considering playing through ME1 again as a female renegade Shepard since unfortunately ME2 doesn't let you choose your past choices if you start from scratch. Maybe I'll just use a female save game from that website.

v0yce

notworksafe said:
That's funny. The bug I had for that was that it didn't react at all when I attacked it. I killed it right away before
I even talked to the Quarian guy. I went down and had the conversation about him not throwing his life away anyway. Didn't make much sense.
.:lol
:lol

charlequin said:
That's not a bug. You
only have a renegade interrupt option because the only way to interrupt is to hit the guy. However, if you have Thane be the Bad Cop (at least, it might work the other way too) you can use the Paragon dialogue options and eventually intimidate the guy enough that he spills.

Oh, I assumed that
Thane would start beating on the guy and I'd use Paragon interrupt to stop him and be the Good cop. I didn't notice there being any difference in the two options, but again, I had to sit through a good 10 minutes or so before I could do it over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom