• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vlightray said:
Just basically started the game just got to the omega relay looking for archangel at what point in the game is point of no return.

There really isn't one. You can continue the game after the main mission is over, assuming you survive of course.

Why is everyone bashing poor male Shepard's voice actor? He did fine. Voice fits the way my character looks just fine.

MMaRsu

HK-47 said:
Your choices are important, even if they will all be trivialized in the sequel!

:lol So true. I´d rather take Thane & Mordin, Jack, and some ME1 squadmates with me.. Garrus. But oh well..

I did Tali's loyalty quest yesterday and noticed a character gave a blessing at one point that sounded an awful lot like this blessing from Babylon 5:

"May the Gods always stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk"
(found it through google and it's apparently an old Egyptian blessing)

I can't remember the precise wording of the ME2 blessing but it pretty much paraphrased that.

Am I imagining very nerdy shit or is this real?

soldat7

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
Why is everyone bashing poor male Shepard's voice actor? He did fine. Voice fits the way my character looks just fine.

He's just not that great as Shepard. I'm very tired of his voice, to the point where I probably won't do a NG+ with him. I think I'll go through ME1 and ME2 with as a female Shepard instead.

Doodis

Dan Yo said:
Has anyone else been picking up random renegade points when trying to play a pure paragon? I seem to have just picked up some simply just for recruiting someone, even though I've chosen all paragon actions. Glitch or is it like this by design?
Yup, I've picked up renegade points several times while trying to be full paragon. At least there's no real repercussions if you gain a few renegade points here and there. But strange, nonetheless.

Palette Swap said:
I did Tali's loyalty quest yesterday and noticed a character gave a blessing at one point that sounded an awful lot like this blessing from Babylon 5:

"May the Gods always stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk"
(found it through google and it's apparently an old Egyptian blessing)

I can't remember the precise wording of the ME2 blessing but it pretty much paraphrased that.

Am I imagining very nerdy shit or is this real?
That's from the episode where Sheridan's friend, captain of an exploration ship, arrives at Babylon 5 then later almost gets lost in hyperspace.

I think Neural Shock is really underappreciated. It has a really short recharge time and freezing someone in place is really useful for an Infiltrator. Its also an instant kill on Husks so if you get the AOE version, those Husk rushes get snuffed quick.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ShockingAlberto said:
I think, pound for pound, all the characters in ME2 are better than ME1. I kind of hated everyone who wasn't Wrex or Tali in that game. The problem is that there was probably too many of them.

In ME1, Wrex factored pretty majorly in to the actual story. Tali's civilization was at war with one of the antagonists in the game. Garrus wanted to take Saren down because he was a cop with a strong sense of justice and was being stonewalled, Liara's mother was a major villain, and then there were the two humans.

In ME2, it's Shepard's Space Adventure. Everyone had motivations, but they were basically just "This is bad, we should stop it!" They all had backstory and were mostly interesting characters, but I just never bought their involvement in the actual main story.

ME2 felt more like a set of vignettes connected by Shepard, which may have been the actual intention. I just liked how cohesive the first game felt.

Dude, this is Bioware. We cant have the whole crew actually make sense a la MotB or have a real reason why these people would follow you to certain death like Torment. They just do! We gotta construct the most badass crew of social outcasts and random character archetypes we can find. I mean half these people probably would hinder your mission instead of help but fuck common sense.

I'm being a bit harsh here, but sometimes I think the qualification for being a party member is being/looking cool or having a crazy character trait.

HK-47 said:
Your choices are important, even if they will all be trivialized in the sequel!

Trivialized? I don't think I've been on more than one or two quests that didn't call back to ME1 and/or a decision I made there.

Dan Yo

Banned
Doodis said:
Yup, I've picked up renegade points several times while trying to be full paragon. At least there's no real repercussions if you gain a few renegade points here and there. But strange, nonetheless.
Do you suppose it's for taking (stealing) things from apartments or homes such as wall safes?

I'd think if that were the case, though, I'd receive the renegade points immediately upon ending the hack.

wRATH2x

Banned
Wanted ask a couple of questions without getting spoiled.

So I'm pretty far a long in the game,
I beat the Collectors on Horizon and met up with ashley
. I was wondering will I get to meet all my old crew mates? Are they all side quests? And how many can am I able to recruit(new and old)? And how of those are side missions?

gregor7777 said:
Same question for you as for neojubei(sp), what do you consider the best then? It's probably what I enjoy most about the ME series, and I'd like to compare.
Uncharted 2's voice-acting is superior. Everyone in that game is perfect, whereas there are some duds here (Male Shepard, Jacob)

Patryn

I think in this game, if you pick ANY choice on the bottom half of the dialogue wheel, regardless of if it's on the left or the right, it will give you Renegade points, unlike in ME1.

Which sucks, because I prefer following nearly every dialogue tree and finishing off everything with the paragon choice.

....except when it comes to Conrad. I just can't help but be an asshole to him. I shoved my gun in his face in ME1 and
shot him in the foot
in this one.

Majmun

One of the best games I've played this gen. It took me 41 hours to finish the game.

Can't wait for ME3 more LDC.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
BenjaminBirdie said:
Trivialized? I don't think I've been on more than one or two quests that didn't call back to ME1 and/or a decision I made there.

None of them really affect the game in a meaningful way. Its just the nature of trying to have decisions matter over multiple games.

Hari Seldon

The problem I have with Male Shephard is that he smiles like a creepy ass child molester. I'm def going with female shephard for my second play through.

Dan Yo

Banned
Patryn said:
I think in this game, if you pick ANY choice on the bottom half of the dialogue wheel, regardless of if it's on the left or the right, it will give you Renegade points, unlike in ME1.

Which sucks, because I prefer following nearly every dialogue tree and finishing off everything with the paragon choice.

....except when it comes to Conrad. I just can't help but be an asshole to him. I shoved my gun in his face in ME1 and
shot him in the foot
in this one.
I have chosen all of the dialogue options at the top. Didn't get any renegade to my knowledge until recruiting Mordin. I didn't say anything wrong or act unsavory unless they're giving some renegade at the end for looting wall safes. Especially after I spoke down to the couple of looters earlier.

Either way I'd like to know exactly what results in what in terms of alignment. If picking things up that aren't necessarily yours or using med stations when you don't need them results in renegade points, it would be interesting to know.

Otherwise, I can't fathom why I'd have received any at this particular part.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Patryn said:
shot him in the foot
in this one.

They totally screwed that up, by the way. Conrad's reaction in ME2 is always in line with the Renegade response in the original. He always states you stuck a gun in his face, and his line doesnt change regardless of your previous decision.

Doodis

Dan Yo said:
I have chosen all of the dialogue options at the top. Didn't get any renegade to my knowledge until recruiting Mordin. I didn't say anything wrong or act unsavory unless they're giving some renegade at the end for looting wall safes. Especially after I spoke down to the couple of looters earlier.

Either way I'd like to know exactly what results in what in terms of alignment. If picking things up that aren't necessarily yours or using med stations when you don't need them results in renegade points, it would be interesting to know.

I don't think you're penalized for wall safes, because those are all over in the game.

It may just be that some of the dialogue options are a bit misleading. Normally the bottom of the screen is renegade, but usually only the bottom right, and only occasionally the bottom left. So if you're just trying to be thorough in your conversations, you could potentially choose a renegade dialogue option unknowingly on the bottom left.

It's a little annoying, but again, you're not penalized for it so it's not really that big a deal if you pick up some random renegade points. As long as you keep building up your paragon points, you'll be fine.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
did everyone figure out how to unlock the secret character that's about halfway through the game? If you haven't, all I have to say is that you have to go full renegade to retrieve the member.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Caspel said:
did everyone figure out how to unlock the secret character that's about halfway through the game? If you haven't, all I have to say is that you have to go full renegade to retrieve the member.
dude wut.

pics.

Caspel said:

Start talking buddy.

I can't for the life of me find who to give the
forged ID to on the Citadel.
I've been running around the entire place, but I can't find who to give it to. Do I have to come back later or something?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Caspel said:

If you're talking about the one I'm thinking of, you can actually obtain the option with being full paragon up til the unlock point.

Do I have to come back later or something?

You might, apparently, some citadel quests don't show up til later in the game.

The person in question is between
The stairs from level 27 to level 26, it's an asari

Doodis

Caspel said:
Are you talking about
choosing between Samara and her daughter? I stuck with Samara (doing a paragon runthrough). What happens if you pick her daughter? Does Samara die?

LiK

Caspel said:
If I guessed correctly, you dont need to be full renegade to recruit anyone. Even a little works

AniHawk

Ultimo hombre said:
Sam L. doing male sheperd in ME3 would make it the greatest game ever made.

Also, Infiltrators, what extra skill(s) are you guys training?

AI hacking and disruptor ammo.

Plus you get the ultra sweet sniper rifles hell yeah.

Metroidvania said:
You might, apparently, some citadel quests don't show up til later in the game.

The person in question is between
The stairs from level 27 to level 26, it's an asari
Alright thanks. I'll try heading back then.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Buttonbasher said:
I can't for the life of me find who to give the
forged ID to on the Citadel.
I've been running around the entire place, but I can't find who to give it to. Do I have to come back later or something?
Yeah, I think I found it later in the game. Forgot where.

But I don't think I did anything with it. My
crew got kidnapped
and I wasn't going to fuck about for a while before getting them back.

Dan Yo said:

In ME1 top right was always obviously paragon and bottom right was obviously always renegade (which in my mind removed the role-playing from the game because you'd get into a mode where you automatically pick a choice whereas you had to think about your choices in KOTOR since there was no pattern to them). Maybe I'm wrong but I get the impression not everything at the top is paragon and not everything at the bottom is renegade anymore in ME2.

sdornan

DevelopmentArrested said:
Uncharted 2's voice-acting is superior. Everyone in that game is perfect, whereas there are some duds here (Male Shepard, Jacob)

I agree with male Shephard, but I thought Jacob was great - sounded very natural.

Dan Yo

Banned
Doodis said:
I don't think you're penalized for wall safes, because those are all over in the game.

It may just be that some of the dialogue options are a bit misleading. Normally the bottom of the screen is renegade, but usually only the bottom right, and only occasionally the bottom left. So if you're just trying to be thorough in your conversations, you could potentially choose a renegade dialogue option unknowingly on the bottom left.

It's a little annoying, but again, you're not penalized for it so it's not really that big a deal if you pick up some random renegade points. As long as you keep building up your paragon points, you'll be fine.
No the part I'm talking about didn't even have any dialogue options at the bottom of either side. Just a middle and a top, and I chose top. Right after recruiting Mordin if you know the part I'm speaking about.

AniHawk said:
AI hacking and disruptor ammo.

Plus you get the ultra sweet sniper rifles hell yeah.

I got some sniper rifle from the Collectors ship which is very powerful, it only has about 12rounds but it can ruin anything. Is there one better than that?

Doodis said:
Are you talking about
choosing between Samara and her daughter? I stuck with Samara (doing a paragon runthrough). What happens if you pick her daughter? Does Samara die?

You can do that? Wow, something to check out for when I do a renegade run of the game.

infinityBCRT said:
In ME1 top right was always obviously paragon and bottom right was obviously always renegade (which in my mind removed the role-playing from the game because you'd get into a mode where you automatically pick a choice whereas you had to think about your choices in KOTOR since there was no pattern to them). Maybe I'm wrong but I get the impression not everything at the top is paragon and not everything at the bottom is renegade anymore in ME2.
No, the structure is still exactly the same.

sam27368

Banned
It shows the games strength when people are nitpicking at the tiny stuff that doesn't affect the experience. This game hasn't just risen the bar for modern RPGs, it's blown it away.

BobsRevenge said:
Yeah, I think I found it later in the game. Forgot where.

But I don't think I did anything with it. My
crew got kidnapped
and I wasn't going to fuck about for a while before getting them back.
Yeah I'm at the point where
The Illusive Man wants me to go to the Collectors Ship
but my Shepard has such a dislike toward Cerberus that it wouldn't be odd for her to say something like "We have to go to the Citadel so I can hook this Asari up with a Fake ID first!":lol

Enosh

Caspel said:
no full paragon works too, you just need something like 90-95% of the bars full to get the choice in the first place

if we are talking about the same character that is

Samara

haven't been here for a week (busy and no internet) oh God, this game has to be the most beautiful thing on the 360, or that I have ever seen. simply amazing. got a little teared up too. almost at the end too. omg.OMG!!!!

Patryn

Re: "Secret" character:
If you pick Morinth, yes, Samara dies. And, yes, you can get her if you're enough of EITHER paragon or renegade. Don't ask me why being a paragon helps you get a sociopathic killer, but whatever.

Draft

Haha, for real? The only big bug I've had in my entire ME2 playthrough occured during Samara's loyalty quest.
While she was having a crazy fight with her daughter, the sound cut out completely. I had no idea what they were saying to each other (subs off), though it sure looked cool. And then a prompt pops up and asks if I want to kill Samara or her daughter. That's crazy that you can recruit the daughter instead.

wRATH2x

Banned
Wrath2X said:
Wanted ask a couple of questions without getting spoiled.

So I'm pretty far a long in the game,
I beat the Collectors on Horizon and met up with ashley
. I was wondering will I get to meet all my old crew mates? Are they all side quests? And how many can am I able to recruit(new and old)? And how of those are side missions?
^^Yo

Wrath2X said:
the only old squad members you can recuit are Garrus and Tali. Liara is busy with her job, Ashley turned into a bitch, Kaiden is dead (at least for me), and I haven't run into Wrex yet

Darklord

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Wasn't that Adam Baldwin in Tali's recruitment quest? Weirdest casting evah.

I thought Carrie Ann Moss was the biggest "WTF" casting voice. Great voice acting but really surprising seeing her in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom