• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
JoeBoy101 said:
CRITICAL: I may be losing my mind, but in the din of battle with my Vanguard (biotic charge FTW!), Tali let loose with one of her combat drones and I thought I heard:

"Go for the optics, Drone!"

Any confirmation?
Yes. She also named her drone and says "Nobody is faster than Chikiti Fastpaws!" which is a Baldur's Gate reference

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
ElectricBlue187 said:
Yes. She also named her drone and says "Nobody is faster than Chikiti Fastpaws!" which is a Baldur's Gate reference

whoa, that's pretty cool. I have to use Tali in more battles.

neojubei said:
I won't go as far as saying the game has the best voice acting but it is one of the best and yes femshep is the better voice actor than maleshep

Bioware should get more talent from BSG alumni.

Bloodlines is another good choice, from what I remember. I haven't played it since 2004 or whatever.

But I can't think of many other recent games with the amount of dialog ME/ME2 has that's delivered so well throughout the entire game.

Just out of curiosity, what would you consider the best? I'm having trouble coming up with many other options when you consider the size of the script, which may or may not be fair.

LiK said:
Is it me or does ME2 have more cursing than ME1?

"No one fucks with Aria."

EDIT: aaaand I didn't realise that was Carrie Ann Moss. :lol I need to check the voice cast for this game. There's way more non-video game actors than I originally thought.

I freaking love this game so much. SO MUCH. I played the first five or six hours, getting my first four or five squadmates on Omega, and I just want to go home and play it some more. I have to go on a business trip for three days and it infuriates me. I JUST WANT TO PLAY MORE ME2, GOD DAMMIT!

Lucius86

Banned
This is the game of the generation so far. I think I am about half way through and it continually impresses. I am really digging the writing here, and the characters. Tali takes it for me - the voice acting is great for her, as before, but she has evolved beautifully - more mature, wiser and less care-free to ME1.

I have had one or two minor bugs, but otherwise this game is awesome.

gregor7777 said:
I feel pretty comfortable in saying ME2 has the best voice acting of all time.

You can write that of as hyperbole if you like, but IMO the quality of the actors and the consistency throughout the massive amount of dialog put it above any game I've ever played.

Note: I always play FemShep.
One of the best, but not the best.

gregor7777 said:
I feel pretty comfortable in saying ME2 has the best voice acting of all time.

You can write that of as hyperbole if you like, but IMO the quality of the actors and the consistency throughout the massive amount of dialog put it above any game I've ever played.

Note: I always play FemShep.

For video games? Sure, I'd probably agree to that.

Steve Blum does play too many people, though.

LiK

gregor7777 said:
"No one fucks with Aria."

EDIT: aaaand I didn't realise that was Carrie Ann Moss. :lol I need to check the voice cast for this game. There's way more non-video game actors than I originally thought.
Holy shit, I need to check the voice cast. :lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I don't know if it's a common view or a "meme" but I love the VA as well, but hate Shephard's VA. Almost wish they took the DA route of a silent protagonist as his monotone Q&A just ruins some scenes for me. Then again he can be pretty good when I'm busting out Renegade lines so I dunno what the deal is. Mordin is my favorite though.

Dax01 said:
One of the best, but not the best.

Same question for you as for neojubei(sp), what do you consider the best then? It's probably what I enjoy most about the ME series, and I'd like to compare.

Darklord

Banned
I'm doing Tali's side mission. Wow, did they just drag over Dragon Age's voice cast to do the Quarians? In about 5 minutes I've come across Claudia Black(Morrigan) and Simon Templeman(Loghain). Weird.:lol

Solo

Problem with Mark Meer's male Shep is that he cant emote for shit. When hes just shooting the shit with someone, hes fine, but if its a scene that calls for sadness or rage or a rousing speech, he fails miserably.

LiK

Solo said:
Problem with Mark Meer's male Shep is that he cant emote for shit. When hes just shooting the shit with someone, hes fine, but if its a scene that calls for sadness or rage or a rousing speech, he fails miserably.
Get Nolan North as male Shep in ME3 :lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Solo said:

"I have to go."

Edwood

Played as a Soldier for first playthrough. Going for Adept for the next one.

Having played Soldier to use all the weapons, I'm quite disappointed in the very few weapons in Mass Effect 2 compared to ME1.

Yeah, MaleShep is completely foreign to me. It's so odd hearing/seeing him in videos. It's such a funny game when you think about it like that.

Patryn

AstroLad said:
I don't know if it's a common view or a "meme" but I love the VA as well, but hate Shephard's VA. Almost wish they took the DA route of a silent protagonist as his monotone Q&A just ruins some scenes for me. Then again he can be pretty good when I'm busting out Renegade lines so I dunno what the deal is. Mordin is my favorite though.

Your problem is you did not go femShep. Jennifer Hale kicks Meer's ass so bad it's scary.

Solo

Darklord said:
I'm doing Tali's side mission. Wow, did they just drag over Dragon Age's voice cast to do the Quarians? In about 5 minutes I've come across Claudia Black(Morrigan) and Simon Templeman(Loghain). Weird.:lol

Dont you mean Uncharted 2's cast? :lol

Cep

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
For video games? Sure, I'd probably agree to that.

Steve Blum does play too many people, though.

True.

I think DA(and maybe Uncharted 2) may edge out ME2

LiK

gregor7777 said:
Yeah, MaleShep is completely foreign to me. It's so odd hearing/seeing him in videos. It's such a funny game when you think about it like that.
Same, I only played as femshep. I might start ME1 as male shep to start a dude adventure

gregor7777 said:
Same question for you as for neojubei(sp), what do you consider the best then? It's probably what I enjoy most about the ME series, and I'd like to compare.
I'd probably have a hard time saying what's the best. Half-Life 2 and episodes, BioShock has an amazing set of voice actors and BioShock 2 seems it will maintain that level of quality.

Solo said:

I don't know I love it when MaleShep starts working someone over and when gets really pissed. Then again I've never felt or understood any of the MaleShep. I really enjoyed Mark Meer's voice work.

Like I said earlier one thing I like about Shepard as a lead is that s/he is a normal human being, with a family, and not someone who is the reincarnation of a god, merged with some mythical spirit (DAO), or genetically created (like Deus Ex). I just like that in theory anyone one of us could be a Shepard.

For some reason the 1st didn't click with me and I'm so glad I was convinced to give ME another shot. This game has been one helluva ride.
EDI -
"I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees... That is a joke."
:lol

Cep

Banned
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
I don't know I love it when MaleShep starts working someone over and when gets really pissed. Then again I've never felt or understood any of the MaleShep. I really enjoyed Mark Meer's voice work.

Like I said earlier one thing I like about Shepard as a lead is that s/he is a normal human being, with a family, and not someone who is the reincarnation of a god, merged with some mythical spirit (DAO), or genetically created (like Deus Ex). I just like that in theory anyone one of us could be a Shepard.

Say what?

Cep said:
True.

I think DA(and maybe Uncharted 2) may edge out ME2

Yeah, I will never get the Nolan North gets too much v/o work when Steve Blum is still working or Cam Clarke (not that I dislike either of them, I really love Cam Clarke). I just wish v/o directors would let actors use different voices more often. I mean look at all the great role Mel Blanc did, can you imagine today he would be told to just do one voice. Fred Tatasciore is one of thew guy these days that I'm always surprised to find he's doing a voice for. He really has quite a range.

v0yce

gregor7777 said:

Uncharted. Its not a fair comparison since everything in Uncharted is scripted, but plenty of the lines of conversion in ME don't really mesh too well. Its really obvious they were all just recorded lines, as opposed to actors playing off each other.

And yeah, male Shepard isn't so hot. Its not just the lack of proper emotion at times, he just doesn't have a a good voice. I don't need Michael Ironside or something, but he needs to have a little more girt and gravitas to his voice to be a badass space commander. At least for me.

ianp622

Even though I wouldn't say Male Shepard's VA is the best, I think the other characters have amazing voice acting, and I would probably say they're the best I've seen in a video game.

For example, even though I don't like Jack that much based on her personality, I loved how there was this mix of sadness with trying to stay tough when I told her I wasn't interested in her. Similarly with Zaeed, I found it amazing that I could appreciate the character even though I don't like the personality of that character. Thane's voice actor has a great sense of timing, and just a cool voice in general. Tali's "Boy is it hot in here" was so adorable, and her voice is just hot. Archangel had a perfect delivery of the sparring talk. And Mordin was superbly voiced during his loyalty mission.

Vlightray

Just basically started the game just got to the omega relay looking for archangel at what point in the game is point of no return.

Dan Yo

Banned
Has anyone else been picking up random renegade points when trying to play a pure paragon? I seem to have just picked up some simply just for recruiting someone, even though I've chosen all paragon actions. Glitch or is it like this by design?

Enosh

AstroLad said:
Almost wish they took the DA route of a silent protagonist as his monotone Q&A just ruins some scenes for me.
no just no

I hate that in every game

having the main character talk is way better than the silent protagonist, I like ME a lot more as a RPG beacose the main character actualy speaks it ads that extra something to a dialog, it just looks stupid when you just stand there while every else is talking

speaking of which:
http://kotaku.com/5460737/tacit-dissent-why-great-characters-must-speak

oh and the "suicide mission" song is simply awesome

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I prefer the silent dude to if they used the male Shephard in DA. If the guy is silent I just speak his lines myself but you can't do that in ME.

v0yce said:
Uncharted. Its not a fair comparison since everything in Uncharted is scripted.

Yeah, if we're talking UC1 (haven't played 2 yet) I'd respectfully disagree. The VA is excellent in UC, way above average, but there just isn't anywhere even close to the massive amount of above average lines you find in ME2. It's a difficult question in my mind because of the huge script.

As an example, I consider Portal to have amazing VA, but it's basically just one actor and a limited amount of lines.

Enosh

The Legacy of Kain series also has amazing VA, Kain, Raziel and the Eldar God in particlural

speaking of which Kain is in ME2 :D

edit: wtf imdb says Claudia Black is in ME2 o_O
as who?

Cep

Banned
Enosh said:
The Legacy of Kain series also has amazing VA, Kain, Raziel and the Eldar God in particlural

speaking of which Kain is in ME2 :D

Definitely agreed with LoK, also has a pretty well written script.

Draft

Vlightray said:
Just basically started the game just got to the omega relay looking for archangel at what point in the game is point of no return.
You will get a mission later on involving something call the "IFF." Once you begin that mission, you will be strongly encourage to finish the game as quickly as possible. So do not do the "IFF" mission until you are satisfied with your crew, ship upgrades, number of side quests done, etc.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Solo said:
I know theres no way Bioware WONT have new squadmates (seems to be a big marketing bullet for them), but Id prefer it if we just got to choose from our ME1 and ME2 teams. Then your chosen squad members could each have a couple of missions.

Your choices are important, even if they will all be trivialized in the sequel!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom