• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Is it possible to do a Renegade playthrough (so I can look like the Terminator :lol ), but still get loyalty for all your crew members and not being a dick to your crew?

any pics?

Patryn

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Is it possible to do a Renegade playthrough (so I can look like the Terminator :lol ), but still get loyalty for all your crew members and not being a dick to your crew?

Depends on your definition of being a dick to your crew is, but you can be a renegade and still have full loyalty. You just have to realize that being a renegade is all about being a dick.

You can also generally be either a paragon or a renegade and still make the occasional opposite choice. I was a total paragon and I still
jammed the prod the guy's back, kicked the other guy through the window, blew the Krogan up, and shot Conrad in the foot.
Still hit 100% paragon with plenty of game to spare.

Of course, I imported a 100% paragon, so I had a leg up to start with.

IoCaster

Oh man, my Infiltrator with maxed out Disrupter Ammo, Incinerator Blast and Heavy Reave just tears shit up. Throw some Cloak & Snipe into the mix and "I am Krogan Shepard!"

Tell me I'm not the only one who noticed Miranda's horrible teeth. She's genetically designed to be the perfect woman, but they forget to get her braces? Everyone else's teeth are perfect! tha fuck?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
selig said:
Nah, i thought the company president from I robot looked a lot like the illusive man:

pike pic

He's talking about the VA.

You can also generally be either a paragon or a renegade and still make the occasional opposite choice. I was a total paragon and I still jammed

I love the interrupt system for this reason. You can still experience renegade moves while being paragon overall.

Unfortunately, though, it seems to be that most paragon interrupts are only loyalty-mission based, while renegades had more impact game-wise.

Patryn said:
Depends on your definition of being a dick to your crew is, but you can be a renegade and still have full loyalty. You just have to realize that being a renegade is all about being a dick.

You can also generally be either a paragon or a renegade and still make the occasional opposite choice. I was a total paragon and I still
jammed the prod the guy's back, kicked the other guy through the window, blew the Krogan up, and shot Conrad in the foot.

I know, I just meant being a dick to everyone not on the ship or will it require too many paragon points. However, as long as I can get their loyalty hat should be enough.

I also love the renegade interrupts. They are so ridiculously fun.

Effect said:
Sorry if this has been asked before but this thread is huge.

Do the romance options from the first game still carry over and can you further them?

Are the team mates from the first game in ME2 as well?

Thanks

All romance-able team members from ME1 can not join your party in ME2. That's not to say that they're not in this game. (If they survived)

Pretty much everything you do in ME1 will have some affect on ME2. And later, ME3.

Jonsoncao

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
That whole Bachelor Party discussion in eclipse was really great.
also the retro RPG vs visceral shooting RPG chat at the video game store
also the interracial sex chat between a Turian and a Quarian

Dresden

Dagless M.D. said:
What are good powers to concentrate on for an engineer? I've been upgrading Combat Drone, but it doesn't seem to be as useful as I'd like.

Been playing on Insanity with mine, and explosive drone has been pretty useful. Pop one in a crowd of enemies and they'll be occupied trying to kill it. The Attack drone can damage with its laser, but the damage it deals is too low and the area of effect damage from the explosive drone is far more useful, imo.

I just focused on drone-reave-tech mastery, for now. Just finished
Horizon
. You can abuse the fuck out of YMIR mechs and such with drones, since they seem to make it a priority to take out the drones first. So you can spam drones and they won't target you at all while your squad takes them out.

Lakitu

st5fu
Doodis said:
Actually, the menu music in ME1 is "Vigil," which is the theme of the Prothean V.I. on Ilos, and plays as you speak to him.

Definitely my favourite track and moment in the whole series. I've got a save just before that conversation so I can go through it again.

Solo

Need some clarification, guys, with respect to love interests and savegames. I want to get back with Ashley in the final game, but Ive already began warming things up with Tali.

So Im wondering if I can get with Tali, then do a secod playthrough with the same Sheperd and get with nobody, and use that Shepard for ME3.

Basically the question boils down to: can you beat the game several times with one Shepard and have access to each unique playthrough for importing your character into ME3?

KAOS

Loving the game soooo much! Playing with my Vanguard using the shockwave to go bowling for foes. I hurl one over my head not realizing he was cloaked he lands behind me and shoots the crap out my back making me go red eye. Just as I'm about to die my squad mate levitates the enemy into the air and I proceed to unleash the tempest and incinerate him into oblivion! Bliss!!!

Metroidvania

Solo said:
Need some clarification, guys, with respect to love interests and savegames. I want to get back with Ashley in the final game, but Ive already began warming things up with Tali.

So Im wondering if I can get with Tali, then do a secod playthrough with the same Sheperd and get with nobody, and use that Shepard for ME3.

Basically the question boils down to: can you beat the game several times with one Shepard and have access to each unique playthrough for importing your character into ME3?

I believe the save system is like ME's import, where yes, each individual completion of the game should create a new end-game save file.

However, I'm not certain, as I haven't tried the 'import ME2 character' yet.

Patryn

Dagless M.D. said:
What are good powers to concentrate on for an engineer? I've been upgrading Combat Drone, but it doesn't seem to be as useful as I'd like.

Incinerate. Incinerate. Incinerate.

Did I mention Incinerate?

Seriously, Incinerate and Overload should be your bread and butter.

You can pretty safely ignore Cryo Blast (only affects enemies with no protections whatsoever and takes way too long to take effect....you've probably already killed them by the time they're frozen). It might have been more useful if you totally upgraded it and made it an area attack, but that seems to me to just be points that could be better spent elsewhere.

AI Hacking is also useful.

The drone is extremely useful early on, but I found myself using it less and less the further I went. I'd definitely recommend Explosive Drone over Attack Drone. The drone's attack is just way too slow to actually make too much of a dent.

Metroidvania

Patryn said:
Seriously, Incinerate and Overload should be your bread and butter.

You can pretty safely ignore Cryo Blast (only affects enemies with no protections whatsoever and takes way too long to take effect....you've probably already killed them by the time they're frozen). It might have been more useful if you totally upgraded it and made it an area attack, but that seems to me to just be points that could be better spent elsewhere.

AI Hacking is also useful.

Anythign that affects enemy shields or barriers or armor is what you want most.

Combat drone is underpowered, from my experience, and cryo, as was said, takes too long.

IMO, AI hacking got nerfed since it requires enemy shields to be down before you can hack in the first place.

Granted, it'd be OP as all hell otherwise with the reduced cooldown times, but it just seems like too much work (at least on non insanity) when you can just kill them faster with overload or incinerate.

Plus, there are a lot more non-geth enemies in this game, and I dunno if hacking a mech would be worth it.

Dunkelgrau

glowe.jpg

Do you have this "glow-effect", too (7x64, ATI 4850, 4xAA)?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Solo said:

When you start a NG+, you basically get a brand new character to play with, so I would imagine so.

Mindlog

Do all the armor upgrades apply to DLC armor as well?

or just the base N7 armor

The medigel upgrade seems to be working for my inferno armor.

DevelopmentArrested said:
There aren't enemy closets in this game though (apart from that one mission where you have to closet the gates near the beginning).. there's a set amount of enemies and sometimes on Insanity it's A LOT (aka 6+ Shotgunning Krogans).

I was thinking of one mission in particular. I was on an N7 mission looking for a downed freighter. I get assaulted by (functionally) infinite mechs. I can stop/start their spawn point on a side of the map, but to do that I have to charge the other side and leave myself exposed until I'm out of the trigger zone.

I also just cloak dashed to the shuttle at the end of the map.

Patryn said:
All armor. Think of them as character upgrades, not armor upgrades.

Thank you!
yes!

Patryn

Mindlog said:
Do all the armor upgrades apply to DLC armor as well?

or just the base N7 armor

The medigel upgrade seems to be working for my inferno armor.

All armor. Think of them as character upgrades, not armor upgrades.

JoeBoy101

selig said:
Nah, i thought the company president from I robot looked a lot like the illusive man:

You guys DO realize that the more famous voice-overs have their character models based off them. Miranda, Illusive Man, and Joker have all be brought up, but...

250px-ME2_Aria.png
1771.jpg

Helped the nose a bit on that one.

JoeBoy101

ExtraKr1spy said:
Should I respec my soldier remove all points I put into disruptor and incendiary since I have Warp ammo now?

Bear in mind that Warp gives an overall bonus, but the bonus itself is not very large. Disruptor is more specialized, Incendiary a little less, but they give higher damage bonuses respectively. I found the two ammo types of the most use was Shredder and Incendiary. Shredder is nice against the Collectors.

Just don't sink any points into adrenaline rush. A waste of a skill.

JoeBoy101 said:
Bear in mind that Warp gives an overall bonus, but the bonus itself is not very large. Disruptor is more specialized, Incendiary a little less, but they give higher damage bonuses respectively. I found the two ammo types of the most use was Shredder and Incendiary. Shredder is nice against the Collectors.

Oh really, why's that? Is it just bullet time, and adding points extends it?

I imagined it slowed down the world, but not you, which means you'd get much higher damage output when it's on.

spidye said:
I let the people die just to get him to be loyal :(

You can
choose to save the guys in the plant, let Zaeed's target get away, let Zaeed pwn himself, then be mean to him (in a well-earned way), and still get his loyalty if you've got even a slightly decent Paragon score.

Metroidvania

JoeBoy101 said:

Wat.

Adrenaline Rush once you get either of the heightened versions can save your ass when trying to get to cover or set up a sniper shot.

Granted, it's not perfect, but as a Soldier, you only need 2 ammo types and the max soldier passive bonus. concussive shot is fun, but far from really being useful.

IMO, Disruptor ammo isn't AS good as Incendiary because you face more "people" enemies as opposed to mechs.

I used Warp ammo and incendiary with the Assault Rifle/LMG, and did just fine.

Digital Limit said:
Oh really, why's that? Is it just bullet time, and adding points extends it?

I imagined it slowed down the world, but not you, which means you'd get much higher damage output when it's on.

Adding points only lessens the recharge iirc, Don't know if theres added bonus if you max it out.

Edit:
Also the Asari you meet in ME2 just shows how disappointingly plain Liara(looks/design) was in ME1 imho.

Solo

Metroidvania said:
I believe the save system is like ME's import, where yes, each individual completion of the game should create a new end-game save file.

Awesome. If they did it for ME2, theres no way they'll remove it for ME3....right, Bioware?

Since that is the case, time to show Tali my biotic powers.

ExtraKr1spy said:
Adding points only lessens the recharge iirc, Don't know if theres added bonus if you max it out.

Edit:
Also the Asari you meet in ME2 just shows how disappointingly plain Liara(looks/design) was in ME1 imho.

Yeah, when I met up with
Liara on Illium
I was like, uhh plain Jane.

Miranda's ass is a relationship-killer.

Digital Limit said:
Yeah, when I met up with Liara on Illium I was like, uhh plain Jane.

Miranda's ass is a relationship-killer.

In her loyalty mission theres an Asari that makes a comment about Mirandas clothes :lol :lol

Asari Commando: "I was waiting for you to finish getting dressed. Does Cerberus let you whore yourself around?
:lol :lol

JoeBoy101

Metroidvania said:
Wat.

Adrenaline Rush once you get either of the heightened versions can save your ass when trying to get to cover or set up a sniper shot.

Granted, it's not perfect, but as a Soldier, you only need 2 ammo types and the max soldier passive bonus. concussive shot is fun, but far from really being useful.

The duration of it was so short, that I just went ahead and pumped my ammo powers and put some points into concussive shot for a quick higher damage shot. Combined that with fortification as my bonus.

Metroidvania said:
IMO, Disruptor ammo isn't AS good as Incendiary because you face more "people" enemies as opposed to mechs.

I used Warp ammo and incendiary with the Assault Rifle/LMG, and did just fine.

I'm not saying Warp sucks. On the contrary, because it has a larger umbrella of targets that makes it more useful. And disruptor is not as used as the other two, but is awful nice to have around when fighting mechs/geth. BTW, any idea where Husks fall into that category? I think its synthetic, but I don't know. Used incendiary for them usually.

Thermite

For some reason, whenever I go to load up my level 30 Vanguard for new game+, the game freezes on me during the Lazarus Project cutscene. It does it at the same exact spot over and over again (I've tried it 3 times, and it's froze at the exact same spot all 3 times).

Has anyone else encountered this?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
ExtraKr1spy said:
In her loyalty mission theres an Asari that makes a comment about Mirandas clothes :lol :lol

Asari Commando: "I was waiting for you to finish getting dressed. Does Cerberus let you whore yourself around?
:lol :lol
Jack to this said:
I like this one. Are we still recruiting?

Red

Ugh- any tips for beating
the Collector ship
on insanity? My allies die within seconds regardless of where I place them and I can't survive the second wave. It seems there's no safe cover. I've spent so much time just chipping away at these guys with warp, but I can't make it through. I'm at level 17, for reference. Decided to take Mordin and the hot chick. I'm an adept and I
trained in assault rifles,
but that doesn't help me at all. I can't stay alive long enough to fire a shot.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Damn. Samara loyalty spoiler

How high does my Renegade have to be to resist Morinth? I'm at 80% and still can't. That bitch crazy.

Metroidvania

Thermite said:
For some reason, whenever I go to load up my level 30 Vanguard for new game+, the game freezes on me during the Lazarus Project cutscene. It does it at the same exact spot over and over again (I've tried it 3 times, and it's froze at the exact same spot all 3 times).

Has anyone else encountered this?

I've encountered this glitch as well, which is why I switched to import my vanguard rather than play through the soldier again.

Is it right when the screen changes to show the "head"/brain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom