• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kholdstare

Would anyone be interested in trading their inferno code for my terminus code?

I've realized the value of sniper rifles and the importance of looking like Iron Man.

I see they're stll using vignetting. Sigh. Am I the only one who's bothered by this? I love Mass Effect, and part 2 is great so far, but what is the point of blacking out the corners of the screen? Whats the reasoning behind it? Killzone 2 did the same thing. Sigh.

probune

Kholdstare101 said:
Would anyone be interested in trading their inferno code for my terminus code?

I've realized the value of sniper rifles and the importance of looking like Iron Man.

The DLC sniper rifle is terrible. The starting sniper and the upgrade are awesome enough on their own.

If I could give you back the code, I would. :(

Kholdstare

probune said:
The DLC sniper rifle is terrible. The starting sniper and the upgrade are awesome enough on their own.

If I could give you back the code, I would. :(

I'm glad I could help. I just wish I could have held off a few days though and given you the other armor instead. Oh well.

I'll find someone eventually.

Meus Renaissance said:
What do you fellas reckon

lmao. looks like kelly. Is she romance-able? I would think so, you can flirt with her and have dinner with her,
but when you get the opportunity to actually have the sex, kelly is abducted, so.....

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just finished the game today, absolutely loved it. Samara really took me by surprise, I enjoyed both her quests a lot, especially the ending of her loyalty one. Thane had my other favorite loyalty quest. I didn't import a save (I lost mine) and the default choices they give you are absolutely awful. The final save from Mass Effect doesn't tie the level you finished each playthrough with with the decisions right? I can take a Paragon playthrough 1 into ME2 and get the level 60 benefits if I had done a Renegade playthrough 2 to get the same character to 60?

Sebulon3k said:
Go to the load menu and you'll see the option to retry the mission, assuming it was the last mission you did

Has anybody tried Restart mission on a planet where you've completed the missions a while ago? It's always an option in the load screen, even after you finish the game, but I imagine it just rewinds you to when you last landed. It would be kind of cool if the game had a sort of mission mode for extra credits.

Kholdstare

Meus Renaissance said:
Read your PM

It's already been used, but thanks for the thought anyway. :)

And that Shepard looks exactly like mine. Well except mine has red eyes as well... and red eyebrows. :lol

SundaySounds said:

Wow. This is exactly why I try to avoid forums about games like this. NeoGaf is the only place where I trust the members enough to read the official threads. :/

Started another playthrough as a soldier, thinking I'd have fun tearing shit up with the AR while still being able to use sniper rifles.

People really think this is a better shooter than Mass Effect? I'd say just about every aspect of it is worse. The AR you start with at least feels less accurate than the ARs you started with in the first game, and the only weapon mods I ever came across were to increase damage. I can't even crouch to be more accurate either, since they removed crouching.

I also liked being able to whip out a weapon even if I wasn't trained in it; I always used a shotgun with Hammerhead rounds on Thorian Creepers no matter what my class was. Now you can't even carry them, so if you don't know what you're in for you could go into a level filled with Husks and not have any way of keeping them at bay (as I found out the hard way).

The auto-sticking cover from ME1 was preferable, too. It was snappy, quick, and other than sticking to cover on occasion when you didn't want to there wasn't much to complain about. Now I often find the opposite in ME2 - because the sprint key is also the cover key, sometimes I'll sprint to cover and - whether because I hold the key too long or let go too soon, I fail to go into cover and stand there taking damage while mashing the key. It feels clumsy and slow in comparison.

As far as I'm concerned the only actual improvement has been adding locational damage.

Kholdstare

Confidence Man said:
... so if you don't know what you're in for you could go into a level filled with Husks and not have any way of keeping them at bay (as I found out the hard way).

Easiest way to deal with husks that I've found is using a biotic character. At least on hardcore you can one show them with either pull or throw.

It's actually kind of comical when you hit them with pull since their legs sort of just fall off.

What's the major spoiler SundaySounds posted? I don't think the fact that
you can romance Kelly
is a huge spoiler, but I'll put it in spoiler tags because some people apparently think it is. Unless I'm missing something.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Dax01 said:
you can romance Kelly
is a huge spoiler, but I'll put it in spoiler tags because some people apparently think it is. Unless I'm missing something.

That
she gets abducted
. I'm over 25 hours in the game and haven't come to that yet.

probune

Dax01 said:
you can romance Kelly

kelly is abducted

Vamphuntr said:
I think he got confused between the two threads since a lot of people are posting in both.

Ironically, it's one of those things that is less of a spoiler than most people who think it is a spoiler think it is, not that they have any way of knowing.

I'm proud of that sentence.

Cep

Banned
Confidence Man said:
Started another playthrough as a soldier, thinking I'd have fun tearing shit up with the AR while still being able to use sniper rifles.

People really think this is a better shooter than Mass Effect? I'd say just about every aspect of it is worse. The AR you start with at least feels less accurate than the ARs you started with in the first game, and the only weapon mods I ever came across were to increase damage. I can't even crouch to be more accurate either, since they removed crouching.

I also liked being able to whip out a weapon even if I wasn't trained in it; I always used a shotgun with Hammerhead rounds on Thorian Creepers no matter what my class was. Now you can't even carry them, so if you don't know what you're in for you could go into a level filled with Husks and not have any way of keeping them at bay (as I found out the hard way).

The auto-sticking cover from ME1 was preferable, too. It was snappy, quick, and other than sticking to cover on occasion when you didn't want to there wasn't much to complain about. Now I often find the opposite in ME2 - because the sprint key is also the cover key, sometimes I'll sprint to cover and - whether because I hold the key too long or let go too soon, I fail to go into cover and stand there taking damage while mashing the key. It feels clumsy and slow in comparison.

As far as I'm concerned the only actual improvement has been adding locational damage.

Boo this man!

I just realized, (voice actor spoilers, character backstory stuff)
Jacob's dad is voiced by the Hulu advertising guy. "This program is brought to you by X"

MegaKungFuRadio said:
Ironically, it's one of those things that is less of a spoiler than most people who think it is a spoiler think it is, not that they have any way of knowing.

I'm proud of that sentence.

Yeah, I mean, You don't know it's coming... But when it happens, it's not a big deal.

That being said I still apologize. mah bad.

How anyone can think GRAW-style snap cover is better than button-toggle cover defies logic.

I must say though, that I think squad combat have taken a step back in ME2. In ME1 I was constantly using the wheel to que attacks and positioning my squad.

In ME2 I just solo. Which is rather disappointing. Still and epic fucking game that is much improved over ME1.

Though perhaps it's that I'm playing ME2 on PC whereas I played ME1 on 360. And while aiming is so much nicer with a mouse, I have to say the analog stick and wheel made queuing multiple party members abilities easier that doing the keyboard dance.

AndersTheSwede said:
How anyone can think GRAW-style snap cover is better than button-toggle cover defies logic.

I must say though, that I think squad combat have taken a step back in ME2. In ME1 I was constantly using the wheel to que attacks and positioning my squad.

In ME2 I just solo. Which is rather disappointing. Still and epic fucking game that is much improved over ME1.

Though perhaps it's that I'm playing ME2 on PC whereas I played ME1 on 360. And while aiming is so much nicer with a mouse, I have to say the analog stick and wheel made queuing multiple party members abilities easier that doing the keyboard dance.

Playing the game on Insanity is destroying my right bumper. I'm using my squad powers every cooldown. Switching up weapons way more than I did in ME1, too, which was never.

MegaKungFuRadio said:
Playing the game on Insanity is destroying my right bumper. I'm using my squad powers every cooldown. Switching up weapons way more than I did in ME1, too, which was never.
Same, I think I've damaged my poor right bumper in all the crazy holding it down for Warp.
Especially in the final segment.

Jintor

Metroidvania said:
See, that's the only one to happen that I know of, other than some squad member making random comments on others' loyalty missions, (the only one I can recall off hand is Jack's, where the other squad mate will make a comment about "storing children here"), or Tali with
Legion
and vice-versa.

While I admit that most of the time in ME2, you're in combat anyways, so this doesn't really have as much of a chance to happen, I still would have liked to see more of it.

That would certainly be cool. I noticed a lot of the time your third party member is a third wheel in loyalty quests. Oddly enough the only time I didn't notice this happened was Zak accompying me with Subject Zero's quest - Zak was chattering away pretty much the entire quest.

Zeliard

AndersTheSwede said:

What "keyboard dance"?

Patryn

Jintor said:
That would certainly be cool. I noticed a lot of the time your third party member is a third wheel in loyalty quests. Oddly enough the only time I didn't notice this happened was Zak accompying me with Subject Zero's quest - Zak was chattering away pretty much the entire quest.

"Zak"???

AndersTheSwede said:

The button-toggle in ME2 is pretty clunky and unresponsive. It's a lateral move from the snap cover in ME1.

Setreal

I've been searching all over google for this answer, so maybe someone here can help me. I just beat the game and want to start a new file with my ME1 import to try a new class (not a new game+ with my ME2 file). Do you get all the same bonuses from new game+ (xp, resources, etc.) by doing this?

Patryn

Setreal said:
I've been searching all over google for this answer, so maybe someone here can help me. I just beat the game and want to start a new file with my ME1 import to try a new class (not a new game+ with my ME2 file). Do you get all the same bonuses from new game+ (xp, resources, etc.) by doing this?

Yes to all except that you do not have access to all your heavy weapons the same way you would if you did a standard NG+.

Plus, you get to select an Advanced Training Power right at the start.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
AndersTheSwede said:

I've actually found in ME2. That i haft to rely on my squad-mates far more than i did in ME1.
But that's probably because i played a vanguard, in both games.

Setreal

Patryn said:
Yes to all except that you do not have access to all your heavy weapons the same way you would if you did a standard NG+.

Plus, you get to select an Advanced Training Power right at the start.

Ah excellent, just what I was hoping for! Thanks a bunch.

Alucrid

Banned
Lafiel said:
I've actually found in ME2. That i haft to rely on my squad-mates far more than i did in ME1.
But that's probably because i played a vanguard, in both games.

Eh, I'm playing Insanity now and I find my squadmates dead half the time. I'll position them here and there, then five seconds into the fight they're jumping over cover, changing the enemy and then they're dead. So I have to sit back with my sniper and spam tactical cloaking and reave to get through.

Won

Thinking about stopping my Paragon playthrough already. Paragon is so damn boooooooring.....or maybe it's just male Shepard. Probably both. :(

Cep

Banned
Alucrid said:
Eh, I'm playing Insanity now and I find my squadmates dead half the time. I'll position them here and there, then five seconds into the fight they're jumping over cover, changing the enemy and then they're dead. So I have to sit back with my sniper and spam tactical cloaking and reave to get through.

Part of the problem, they are taking the heat meant for you.

AndersTheSwede said:

I'm actually the exact opposite. Mass Effect 1 difficulty is embarrassing...there is really no reason for teamwork. It's extremely easy to solo there.

ME2 on the otherhand at least on harder difficulties requires combined powers of warp, overload...anything that can take down shields, barriers or whatever. If my teammates are dead I'm in trouble. Normal difficulty is soloable in both games.

Macmanus

Holy shit the
Collector's Ship
was awesome.

Holy shit the claymore shotgun is incredible. It makes the vangaurd good again.

Alucrid

Banned
Cep said:
Part of the problem, they are taking the heat meant for you.

Nah, they're already dead. I do that just so I can pop out quickly, snipe one in the head for what's usually a 1 hit KO and get back into cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom