• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thermite

Metroidvania said:
I've encountered this glitch as well, which is why I switched to import my vanguard as well.

Is it right when the screen changes to show the "head"/brain?

Yep, exact same spot for me.

Got one more squad member to go. Do I get him/her before or after IFF?

If its before do I just scan planets randomly or will Illusive man give me the dossier?

jergrah

A snippet from the blog posted on Assortment of Geeks - My Wish for Mass Effect 2 DLC

What I do want is origin story DLC packs for the various playable characters. I want to play as Jack
leading up to the point she was captured, with the DLC ending at the point when she meets up with Shepard
. I want to play as Jacob Taylor when he was a
part of the Alliance or even his early days with Cerberus
. Thane Krios would be a great origin story as well, we find out in Mass Effect 2 that
his wife was murdered by a group of mercenaries in earlier years. Let us experience that, understand why Thane couldn't prevent it
. I think playing any of these origin stories would only make the player care much more about each of the party members when progressing through Mass Effect 2 as Commander Shepard.

Bioware could offer the content up as individual downloads or offer a discount for players willing to pay up front for all of origin stories. Ideally each episode would contain approximately an hour of play time and story. Launching any characters origin story could happen from the main menu screen or as an option from within the Normandy. For example if you go into the Lab to strike up a conversation with Mordin, an additional option is listed to launch his origin story DLC.

vhfive

ExtraKr1spy said:

If its before do I just scan planets randomly or will Illusive man give me the dossier?
at the end of that mission

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
ExtraKr1spy said:

After.
During I guess.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Thermite said:
Yep, exact same spot for me.

Yeah, I dunno what to do, other than go to the ME technical forums http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/category/107/index/P/1 and post about it. :/

I might do it later, wanna redo my decisions on some things

edit: Someone apparently had the same issue, and just brute-forced it after restarting 3 times, he got it to work on the 4th, lol.

Bioware could offer the content up as individual downloads or offer a discount for players willing to pay up front for all of origin stories. Ideally each episode would contain approximately an hour of play time and story. Launching any characters origin story could happen from the main menu screen or as an option from within the Normandy. For example if you go into the Lab to strike up a conversation with Mordin, an additional option is listed to launch his origin story DLC.

Bump it up to an hour+ per and we can talk.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
After hearing Wrex talk about his fight with Aleena in ME1 and then Aria talk about her fight with the Patriarch now in ME2, I really wish that we had a squad member who was originally an adversary of some kind and we had a big ass fight with them that just reigned havoc on the entire area in a back forth kind of fight.

Does someone has unused Inferno or Terminus armor? I know it's LTTP, but I would gladly give GoW 3 demo code for it. Please PM if interested.

Jintor

There's still some 'o dat. When I was wandering around the Citadel with
Garrus and Tali, one was all "Hey, do you ever miss those conversations we had in those elevators?" and Tali was all "NO."

Mindlog said:
Gripe.

So Insanity is actually pretty hard this time. Annoyingly hard sometimes.

but...

Insanity + enemy spawn checkpoints is just... damnit. I am playing on insanity trying to be all tactical and whatnot. Why would I ever want to advance to a point where I have no cover on one side? However, if I don't advance to that point (leaving myself completely vulnerable) the enemies won't stop advancing. counter-intuitive

I find Insanity much much easier this time. Nothing will kill you in less than three hits unlike the multiple ways you could die in a single hit on ME1. Then again, the only time I tried Insanity from level 1 was with an Adept, and that sucked. If you mean NG+ Insanity with a level 50+, then maybe it's a bit harder in the beginning, but it will get much easier when your upgrades turn you into an armored damage dealing machine.

The three phases of the final area of Horizon took me 90 minutes to get through on Insanity (well, about an hour to realize I should reload an earlier save and go back with some medi-gel, half an hour after), but considering I've spent far longer on far shorter encounters on NORMAL difficulty in certain games (albeit, usually the final encounters) this was nothing. Horizon is also the most difficult part of the game for most people too, followed by IFF.

bran

Is it possible to edit the appearance of my Shepard after initial creation?

Can I edit the save file somehow?

PC Version

bran said:
Is it possible to edit the appearance of my Shepard after initial creation?

Can I edit the save file somehow?

PC Version

Officially? No, but I'm sure someone will figure out some PC voodoo (aka mod) that will let you sooner rather than later.

Swag

Alucrid said:
Um. GAF, I...I think I miss the elevators.

I kinda wish they went the DA: O route and had the awesome squad interaction that game had, was anticipating the
Tali Legion
interaction. Too bad the way they did it fucken sucked.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Jintor said:
There's still some 'o dat. When I was wandering around the Citadel with
Garrus and Tali, one was all "Hey, do you ever miss those conversations we had in those elevators?" and Tali was all "NO."

See, that's the only one to happen that I know of, other than some squad member making random comments on others' loyalty missions, (the only one I can recall off hand is Jack's, where the other squad mate will make a comment about "storing children here"), or Tali with
Legion
and vice-versa.

While I admit that most of the time in ME2, you're in combat anyways, so this doesn't really have as much of a chance to happen, I still would have liked to see more of it.

You know what the Normandy needs? A Danger Room in the vein of the X-Men similar to the Pinnacle Station DLC from ME1. With so many characters and abilities it would be nice to be able to quickly fire up an encounter to test things out.

Doing my first play through and quite enjoying it but I do have a major concern, not real spoilers but i will spoiler them anyway

Ive collected the first bunch of crew mates and suddenly ive got 5 loyalty missions to do. In the first game, you had to talk to them and get to know their character before these missions popped up. I think Ive only had one conversation with garrus and the other crew, so it feels kinda rushed. Is there a bit more interaction with the crew after these missions are over? I liked the do major quest/have a new conversation format in the last game.

Nemesis_

Metroidvania said:
See, that's the only one to happen that I know of, other than some squad member making random comments on others' loyalty missions, (the only one I can recall off hand is Jack's, where the other squad mate will make a comment about "storing children here"), or Tali with
Legion
and vice-versa.

While I admit that most of the time in ME2, you're in combat anyways, so this doesn't really have as much of a chance to happen, I still would have liked to see more of it.

I wish they used the "Dragon Age" model for party interaction. I don't think I ever heard a repeat conversation between my party members and they were pretty entertaining too.

Sir Hamish said:
Doing my first play through and quite enjoying it but I do have a major concern, not real spoilers but i will spoiler them anyway

Ive collected the first bunch of crew mates and suddenly ive got 5 loyalty missions to do. In the first game, you had to talk to them and get to know their character before these missions popped up. I think Ive only had one conversation with garrus and the other crew, so it feels kinda rushed. Is there a bit more interaction with the crew after these missions are over? I liked the do major quest/have a new conversation format in the last game.

Sadly, there's very little real character interaction aside from the loyalty missions.

Red Blaster said:
Sadly, there's very little real character interaction aside from the loyalty missions.

well thats disapointing :( theres very little party banter either. and the soundtrack isnt as good and the combat isn't as deep.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Sir Garbageman said:
You know what the Normandy needs? A Danger Room in the vein of the X-Men similar to the Pinnacle Station DLC from ME1. With so many characters and abilities it would be nice to be able to quickly fire up an encounter to test things out.

That would be an excellent idea.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Metroidvania said:
I've encountered this glitch as well, which is why I switched to import my vanguard rather than play through the soldier again.

Is it right when the screen changes to show the "head"/brain?

My game froze for me here when I JUST started the game. :lol

Made me redo the whole intro part and wasn't exactly a good start, but it's the only bug I've had so far.

AniHawk

ShockingAlberto said:
I think, pound for pound, all the characters in ME2 are better than ME1. I kind of hated everyone who wasn't Wrex or Tali in that game. The problem is that there was probably too many of them.

In ME1, Wrex factored pretty majorly in to the actual story. Tali's civilization was at war with one of the antagonists in the game. Garrus wanted to take Saren down because he was a cop with a strong sense of justice and was being stonewalled, Liara's mother was a major villain, and then there were the two humans.

In ME2, it's Shepard's Space Adventure. Everyone had motivations, but they were basically just "This is bad, we should stop it!" They all had backstory and were mostly interesting characters, but I just never bought their involvement in the actual main story.

ME2 felt more like a set of vignettes connected by Shepard, which may have been the actual intention. I just liked how cohesive the first game felt.

I have to agree with this. I really loved that everyone in ME1 was working together to stop Saren because they personally had a stake in it (except Kaiden/Ashley kinda). Also, every one of the missions involved Saren in some way, so you were taking him down bit by bit throughout the game. In ME1, you also talked with the council a lot. The dialogue choices there made me feel a little more connected to the game world than when talking to the Illusive Man. I think the structure of ME2 should have been 1. Build your team and then 2. Systematically take down the Collectors like you did Saren. Otherwise, outside of recruiting people, missions felt like they just happened to come up during the game. The only sense of urgency was at the very end.

I also don't feel it mattered if I went Paragon or Renegade. It was awesome to make Saren shoot himself in the head. Nothing like that happens in ME2. You max out Paragon or Renegade just because you can, I guess, and that certain sidequests are worth it.

Finally, ME1 felt like it was a sci fi movie as a video game. The ending was better and made me want the sequel, unlike ME2's which just kinda stops at some point for some reason (the final mission was nicely done though). ME1 might be A New Hope, but ME2 is not Empire Strikes Back. There's no real cliffhanger or huge twist you didn't see coming
(human Reaper doesn't count since we still don't know the reason for human Reaper)
. To top everything off, having that Faunts song at the end of ME1 felt well-placed. It's a minor thing, but for me it made the game feel more cinematic than ME2's orchestrated credits music.

I think the focus of ME2 was the gameplay/shooting stuff. They tried to streamline it so much, the story likely got put on the backburner for the finale. I'm not particularly a fan of corridor shooters, but it was okay. Miss the powers and all that stuff though, and I wish leveling up affected charm like it did in the first game. I dunno. ME1 and ME2 are both mixed bags. Good ones, but still mixed.

If later DLC doesn't include some store where you sell resources for credits, even at a ridiculously low rate, I'm going to be disappointed. I hate leaving stuff in the stores.

Swag

MegaKungFuRadio said:
It's a factory, what do you expect!

I think that's what you guys are talking about.

Yeah but that was annoying, I must have died like 10 times trying to progress through that maze area. I would kill 4 mechs then have to cover to regain my health / shields, I'd look behind the corner and 4 more mechs would be there. Not to mention they seemed to do tons of damage

george_us said:
Anyone know when Amazon's giving out the $10 credit? I haven't seen it applied yet.
Just add a game to your cart and go to checkout. I pre-ordered Bad Company 2 for $46.99. It said that it only works on games shipping by Feb 28th but BC2 worked and I tried it with GoW3 and that worked as well.

Sebulon3k said:
Yeah but that was annoying, I must have died like 10 times trying to progress through that maze area. I would kill 4 mechs then have to cover to regain my health / shields, I'd look behind the corner and 4 more mechs would be there. Not to mention they seemed to do tons of damage

I didn't die, but I was only on Hardcore when I did it, and I did run out of ammo, which is what made me finally move forward and stop the stream. I actually thought it was pretty fun because they were really easy to kill.

george_us

striKeVillain! said:
Just add a game to your cart and go to checkout. I pre-ordered Bad Company 2 for $46.99. It said that it only works on games shipping by Feb 28th but BC2 worked and I tried it with GoW3 and that worked as well.
I tried with God of War 3 and Heavy Rain but the credit wasn't applied to those. Maybe I'll have to email them.

Swag

MegaKungFuRadio said:
I didn't die, but I was only on Hardcore when I did it, and I did run out of ammo, which is what made me finally move forward and stop the stream. I actually thought it was pretty fun because they were really easy to kill.

I got frustrated, which made me get impatient, which made me get reckless. Then my Shepherd got recked, oh and I had Grunt and Mordin with me. Shouldn't have brought those two :lol

Psy-Phi

Sebulon3k said:
Assault Rifle + Disruptor on one of your characters, sniper rifle with disruptor if possible but incendiary works too, and you won't have any trouble in there. Just mow them down and laugh maniacally as you do so.

Oh yeah, get Barrier. Any time you're about to die, smack that and run for cover. That goes for any point in the game.

george_us said:
I tried with God of War 3 and Heavy Rain but the credit wasn't applied to those. Maybe I'll have to email them.
Yeah, shoot them a quick email. This is what I got in an email from them:

Dear Amazon.com Customer,

Thank you for purchasing Mass Effect 2 from Amazon.com. It is our pleasure to let you know that you have earned $10 toward the purchase of any video game product shipped and sold by Amazon.com until 02/28/10. You will receive your award when your product ships. To redeem your reward, simply visit http://www.amazon.com/games, add a video game item to your shopping cart, and the discount will be automatically applied in your cart during checkout. Please note, the discount will not be visible until a Video Game product is added to your cart and you have begun the checkout process. Offer valid for one Mass Effect 2 purchase per customer.

The promotion code must be used by February 28, 2010. This offer is subject to Terms and Conditions.

Thanks again for shopping with us.

Also. I purchased the regular edition, not CE.

Swag

Psy-Phi said:
Assault Rifle + Disruptor on one of your characters, sniper rifle with disruptor if possible but incendiary works too, and you won't have any trouble in there. Just mow them down and laugh maniacally as you do so.

Oh yeah, get Barrier. Any time you're about to die, smack that and run for cover. That goes for any point in the game.

I ended up just abusing the shit out of Wide Pull / Shockwave. Once I started using Barrier game play got really weird. I would be seeing the Red Veins but still have a shield, took my mind a couple minutes to adjust.

SundaySounds said:
depends on how many side quests/loyalty quests you plan to do/have done.

Dang I still have the two team members to get on Illium. The IFF mission just became available. I still haven't slept with anyone. Once I go to the IFF is that the beginning of the end of the game?

On the bright side, I've got Kelly doing shit for me. She's making sure all my fish are well fed when I go out.

AniHawk said:
I have to agree with this. I really loved that everyone in ME1 was working together to stop Saren because they personally had a stake in it (except Kaiden/Ashley kinda). Also, every one of the missions involved Saren in some way, so you were taking him down bit by bit throughout the game. In ME1, you also talked with the council a lot. The dialogue choices there made me feel a little more connected to the game world than when talking to the Illusive Man. I think the structure of ME2 should have been 1. Build your team and then 2. Systematically take down the Collectors like you did Saren. Otherwise, outside of recruiting people, missions felt like they just happened to come up during the game. The only sense of urgency was at the very end.

I also don't feel it mattered if I went Paragon or Renegade. It was awesome to make Saren shoot himself in the head. Nothing like that happens in ME2. You max out Paragon or Renegade just because you can, I guess, and that certain sidequests are worth it.

Finally, ME1 felt like it was a sci fi movie as a video game. The ending was better and made me want the sequel, unlike ME2's which just kinda stops at some point for some reason (the final mission was nicely done though). ME1 might be A New Hope, but ME2 is not Empire Strikes Back. There's no real cliffhanger or huge twist you didn't see coming
(human Reaper doesn't count since we still don't know the reason for human Reaper)
. To top everything off, having that Faunts song at the end of ME1 felt well-placed. It's a minor thing, but for me it made the game feel more cinematic than ME2's orchestrated credits music..

Right on the money. The story in ME2 just feels completely inconsequential at the end. I believe you mentioned earlier how it feels like a series of DLC missions tied together.

Swag

striKeVillain! said:
Yeah, I fucked up Samara's loyalty mission. Anyway for me to redo that?

Go to the load menu and you'll see the option to retry the mission, assuming it was the last mission you did

Patryn

Solideliquid said:
Dang I still have the two team members to get on Illium. The IFF mission just became available. I still haven't slept with anyone. Once I go to the IFF is that the beginning of the end of the game?

On the bright side, I've got Kelly doing shit for me. She's making sure all my fish are well fed when I go out.

I'd advise leaving the IFF mission until you've accomplished everything you want to accomplish. But it's not the point of no return.

What do you fellas reckon

icoh6v.jpg

2hdo3e8.jpg

2rf6cue.jpg

2m7u7es.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom