• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurarian

Anyone have any idea why I get an error saying that the connection to the servers are timing out? I've tried everything to get Cerberus working again. I bought a new PC a couple of months back but forgot to take the saves from my old PC to this one. I've reset my router, flushed dns, re-logged into my social account on Bioware's website, and even registered the game which I apparently hadn't done so when it was released. It worked fine that day in case anyone asks.

Eccocid

Hey can someone tell me...
Is there a way to see weapon stats?
How do i know which shotgun is better etc?
When i go to weapon rack at ship to equip my party i can't see any stats on weapons.

LogicStep

Sorry if it has been posted already but, if I buy the PC game at retail (why is it $50 in Steam???) can I add it to Steam and get all the perks as if it was bought from Steam? The disc based game sells for $20...

Yeef

zazrx said:
Sorry if it has been posted already but, if I buy the PC game at retail (why is it $50 in Steam???) can I add it to Steam and get all the perks as if it was bought from Steam? The disc based game sells for $20...
It's $20 on Steam for the normal game and
$40 for the deluxe edition. If it's more in your territory try finding someone with a US account to gift it to you. Buying the retail version won't get you the Steam version. Here's a complete list of unlockable games: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-wusf-3601#which

LogicStep

Yeef said:
It's $20 on Steam for the normal game and
$40 for the deluxe edition. If it's more in your territory try finding someone with a US account to gift it to you. Buying the retail version won't get you the Steam version. Here's a complete list of unlockable games: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-wusf-3601#which
Damn what bullshit is that!? Thanks for the info. Can I give credit to someone as a gift on steam?

Insanity seems to get easier as you progress and get better weapons / upgrades. Though it take me several trials to get through the derelic ship ....

Just bought the PS3 version. 30 min, 5GB mandatory install, plus you have to download like 700MB worth of "Cerberus Network" DLC.

I put the disk in over an hour ago and I'm still not playing. Sigh...

esbern

Alright ME2 noob here, trying to construct a decent party on the difficulty level below insanity (my first playthrough) before I jump into the omega red warp.

I've been running through everything and really really like using Grunt and Legion, since they both have tanking skills from their loyalty missions and I love throwing a drone out for distractions. My main dude is a Soldier and I have Adrenaline Rush fully maxed and I stay back and sniper everything I see while the other two tank everything for me, and its going really well.

So the point is, does anybody else use this setup and have any tweaks they recommend, or am I just awful at the game and these two kinda suck?

Sai

Man, I never let my squadmates get ahead of me, no matter what defensive powers they have, because they're stripped too easily on Insanity. I always keep fire concentrated on Shepard.

sam27368

Banned
Right so I just started another playthrough and after the first mission noticed something.

When you're reading through the end of mission reports, the first one (I can't remember the others) appears to be written by the Illusive Man. Who is he reporting to? I thought he was the leader of Cerberus?

Patryn

sam27368 said:
Right so I just started another playthrough and after the first mission noticed something.

When you're reading through the end of mission reports, the first one (I can't remember the others) appears to be written by the Illusive Man. Who is he reporting to? I thought he was the leader of Cerberus?

They're supposed to be the Illusive Man's personal notes. So he's writing them for himself.

Patryn

K.Jack said:
Isn't he just the head of this one cell of Cerberus?

Nope, he's supposed to be in charge of all of Cerberus. The whole cell thing was just to sweep all the bad stuff they did in ME1 under the carpet.

anddo0

NG+, Insanity = screw this shit. The spike in difficulty is BS! I had no idea the enemies scaled. I hit lvl 30 with my Vanguard. So, I think I'll do insanity run with a new Shep. I'm thinking Infiltrator.

anddo0 said:
NG+, Insanity = screw this shit. The spike in difficulty is BS! I had no idea the enemies scaled. I hit lvl 30 with my Vanguard. So, I think I'll do insanity run with a new Shep. I'm thinking Infiltrator.
It's to bad all the upgrades you got the first time around don't carry over to a NG+ (just heavy weapons). Yeah it is better to do an Insanity run on a new game.

sam27368

Banned
You have not experienced Shakespeare, until you have heard him in the voice of Elcor.

Pahaha why have I not discovered this before!

EDIT:Also, has anyone heard if BioWare will finally add in 360 controller support for ME3? I'm sick of using hacks that half work

sam27368

Banned
Arrghh, has anyone experienced this issue -

Playing on PC on Illium, when you open the doors to the shipping district you can get about 3/4 of the way down the corridor then the game just crashes on me, black screen with audio in the background.
Help please!

The Chef

Just beat the 360 version and thoroughly enjoyed it. However the love story with Miranda is incredibly unsatisfying to me. The pacing of your relationship is so off and your attitude is extremely odd. There is never any real build up to love, its more like Shepard just wants to tap some ass.
After the love scene I expected there to be a strong bond between the two of you for the final mission. What I got was Miranda stumbling in a room after an intense fire fight and you running to her where she says "Im ready for a fight Commander" and you promptly give her a pat on the shoulder. To top that off I am eagerly awaiting a last hoorah between the two of you as you grief over your fallen comrades, but nothing happened. She wasn't even in the final scene of the game. Extremely disappointed and unsatisfied by this.

So after beating the game if I chose option 1 to continue the game - will i be rewarded with a more thorough relationship development with Miranda? If not then I guess I'll start a new game for the hell of it.

God I sound like such a psycho talking about craving a video game character relationship hahah.

IoCaster

sam27368 said:
Arrghh, has anyone experienced this issue -

Playing on PC on Illium, when you open the doors to the shipping district you can get about 3/4 of the way down the corridor then the game just crashes on me, black screen with audio in the background.
Help please!

Tha happened to me recently and I'm not sure of the cause. I did change vid cards from 4870 CF to GTX 580 so it may be an Nvidia driver problem. Using DRDOverrider seems to help so you can try that.

The Chef said:
So after beating the game if I chose option 1 to continue the game - will i be rewarded with a more thorough relationship development with Miranda?

Nah, it's pretty much all you get other than she'll ask if you want to continue or break off the so-called relationship. If you choose to continue you'll get the second terminal in your cabin to activate and use it to invite her up for a cuddle.

The Chef said:
Just beat the 360 version and thoroughly enjoyed it. However the love story with Miranda is incredibly unsatisfying to me. The pacing of your relationship is so off and your attitude is extremely odd. There is never any real build up to love, its more like Shepard just wants to tap some ass.
After the love scene I expected there to be a strong bond between the two of you for the final mission. What I got was Miranda stumbling in a room after an intense fire fight and you running to her where she says "Im ready for a fight Commander" and you promptly give her a pat on the shoulder. To top that off I am eagerly awaiting a last hoorah between the two of you as you grief over your fallen comrades, but nothing happened. She wasn't even in the final scene of the game. Extremely disappointed and unsatisfied by this.

So after beating the game if I chose option 1 to continue the game - will i be rewarded with a more thorough relationship development with Miranda? If not then I guess I'll start a new game for the hell of it.

God I sound like such a psycho talking about craving a video game character relationship hahah.

No.

Like it or not, the most fulfilling romance in the series is with Jack. It's worth it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Darth Tigris said:
No.

Like it or not, the most fulfilling romance in the series is with Jack. It's worth it.

Jack's romance was terrible in my opinion, as it went down the most cliche, boring path possible;
tough chick with attitude and a broken past breaks down and becomes an emotional girly girl, begging for love and acceptance.

On another note, can a mod please lock this or something like they originally intended to?

sam27368

Banned
The Chef said:

It's not just the love it's the pacing of the entire game. I love ME2 don't get me wrong it's one of my favourite games but to keep up with the audience and hollywood you can see what they've had to do.

Point in question - Samara, the Justicar. Her oaths that go back pretty much since the Asari's inception, they are her life and she would kill everyone and herself if it meant she'd have to break them.

Shepard "Hey Samara you've never met me, I could be some pirate or just like to get funky with some old aliens but do you fancy joining me on this epic mission to save the universe. I'm not going to show you any proof of who I am or where we're going or what we're fighting for"

Samara - "sure why not"

Shepard - "oh and you can forget the oath and all that rubbish"

Samara - ".... okay"

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
sam27368 said:
Shepard "Hey Samara you've never met me, I could be some pirate or just like to get funky with some old aliens but do you fancy joining me on this epic mission to save the universe. I'm not going to show you any proof of who I am or where we're going or what we're fighting for"

Samara - "sure why not"

Shepard - "oh and you can forget the oath and all that rubbish"

Samara - ".... okay"

I didn't like Samara, but I thought she joined Shepard because he helped her out of having to kill her way out of prison. She probably knew about the Collectors, at least the kind of creatures they are, and agreed that Shepard's mission was important. She doesn't disregard her oath, mind you. Im pretty sure she says that her oath is to protect the innocent, and thus in joining Shepard is staying true to that oath, but once the mission is over will no longer be bound to Shepard's objective.

Regardless, its probably a cheap way for BioWare to write her off for ME3. "Samara is done with Shepard, so she left, like she said she would".

sam27368

Banned
EatChildren said:
I didn't like Samara, but I thought she joined Shepard because he helped her out of having to kill her way out of prison. She probably knew about the Collectors, at least the kind of creatures they are, and agreed that Shepard's mission was important. She doesn't disregard her oath, mind you. Im pretty sure she says that her oath is to protect the innocent, and thus in joining Shepard is staying true to that oath, but once the mission is over will no longer be bound to Shepard's objective.

Regardless, its probably a cheap way for BioWare to write her off for ME3. "Samara is done with Shepard, so she left, like she said she would".

Intially she says it's because she can see he's honest or some rubbish, the detective gets her into custody for questioning and then releases her

She says it's the third pillar of the oath or something that allows her to follow another oath instead of her own. After the build up of the Justicar oath I thought that was pretty cheap

esk1mo420

Just finished up my first playthrough on PS3. Loved the game but never played ME1 and I dont have an 360 and prefer to skip the PC version. I figured to live with the default choices and read up to fill in the gaps.

So in the end Jack died most likely as my paragon wasn't that high and I sided with Miranda in the argument. I also didn't realize that after I started the IFF mission if I wanted to save the crew I had to get going quickly and instead went out mining/exploring...lol

In short I dont like how it turned out so i plan to replay in a month or two and do all exploring and character loyalty missions carefully to make sure my paragon gets where it needs to be.

Sidenote - Shadow Broker DLC - Aces!

EatChildren said:
Jack's romance was terrible in my opinion, as it went down the most cliche, boring path possible;
tough chick with attitude and a broken past breaks down and becomes an emotional girly girl, begging for love and acceptance.

On another note, can a mod please lock this or something like they originally intended to?

Love stories ARE cliches. Even in the real world. But its all in the execution and her's is the most well executed one the entire series whether you like the character or not (for the record, I sure hated her at first).

Baron

The PSN store update lists:

Grace Chen said:
Mass Effect 2 – Appearance Pack 2 ($1.99)
Grunt draws attention (and incoming fire) in his high-tech armor with a dual visor array. Tali’s envirosuit features a reinforced chest-plate, and an interior heads-up-display. And for battle-heavy missions, Miranda steps out in Cerberus armor.
File size: 60 MB

suppose this will be coming out for 360 soon too, no? Or am I out of the loop - is it already out for 360?

I've been replaying ME2 on my PS3 and I went through the comic book and picked the decisions I made in 1 on 360 so I could carry them over to the PS3 version. I picked Liara as my love interest like I did in the first one(as female Shep) but when i go to my quarters, Kaiden's picture shows up.

What's the deal? Did the comic not load properly? I feel like it did because all the other choices seem to have been carried over, like an all human alliance, plus Udin as chancellor, and Wrex is still amongst the living and I don't think those are default choices.

Anyway, will Liara not show up until i meet with her again?

BladeoftheImmortal said:
I've been replaying ME2 on my PS3 and I went through the comic book and picked the decisions I made in 1 on 360 so I could carry them over to the PS3 version. I picked Liara as my love interest like I did in the first one(as female Shep) but when i go to my quarters, Kaiden's picture shows up.

What's the deal? Did the comic not load properly? I feel like it did because all the other choices seem to have been carried over, like an all human alliance, plus Udin as chancellor, and Wrex is still amongst the living and I don't think those are default choices.

Anyway, will Liara not show up until i meet with her again?
Did you download the patch? Kaidan showing up in the picture frame is a glitch, the patch rectifies it.

No, I guess I haven't... I thought I did, though. I DLed the DLC and that was about 2 weeks after the game dropped, so I would assume i got it. is there a way to check?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Wow, the DLC is expensive.

Ran into Ashley, what a bitch. Still jealous I picked Liara, I guess. Speaking of Liara, wow those hacking tasks were annoying. Now I have some loyalty missions to do.

Dice said:

Ran into Ashley, what a bitch. Still jealous I picked Liara, I guess. Speaking of Liara, wow those hacking tasks were annoying. Now I have some loyalty missions to do.
The DLC may seem pricey, but the story driven ones are completely worth it. Easily worth the money, in my opinion. I'm pretty biased for Mass Effect, though, but you should download Lair of the Shadow Broker or Overlord if you're wondering if they're worth it. Fantastic experiences, and I wish other games had dlc of this caliber to offer.

Oh, Alan Wake, why did you do this to me? I thought what we had was special!

Darklord

Banned
How do I know who is loyal or not? I came back to this game to play Shadow Broker and redo the ending but I can't remember who is loyal or not.

Dice said:

Buy Shadow Broker. The rest are expendable.

Arjen

Darklord said:
How do I know who is loyal or not? I came back to this game to play Shadow Broker and redo the ending but I can't remember who is loyal or not.

It should tell you who's loyal or not in the squad selection screen

Dice

I got Shadow Broker because I'm keeping Liara as my girlfriend. You'd think a 108 year old would have more baggage than the others, but when you're set to live to 1000 I guess you know when to just let shit go. Plus, I'd think that once you have ultimate nerve-sharing space sex that anything else would be a letdown. Maybe I'll find some Prothean way to extend my lifespan in ME3.

Anyway, Dragon Age Ultimate didn't go on sale, so if it doesn't this week I may go ahead and get more DLC for this.

So I finished it and all the DLC last night (bought the game two weeks ago). Loved it. Every minute of it. I made sweet sweet blue love to Liara in ME1 and somehow she found out about my love affair with a certain tattooed freak in ME2, but she ultimately forgave me. I'm confused about one part of the story though. It involves the choice regarding Samara. I won't say anymore so as to not spoil, but somewhere along the dialogue path to that decision, I missed why it was even a choice. And unfortunately I didn't have a game save just prior to doing it so that I could re-do it.

Darklord said:
Dunno if this has been posted but it's a pretty awesome song about Shepard. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHseWNr7iKk
I ended up buying it the other day because I couldn't get the song out of my head, haha!
Time to go listen to it again on repeat...

Kinspiracy said:
I won't say anymore so as to not spoil, but somewhere along the dialogue path to that decision, I missed why it was even a choice. And unfortunately I didn't have a game save just prior to doing it so that I could re-do it.

I assume you mean her loyalty mission...
You're given the option to kill samara or her daughter. The daughter is extremely powerful and tells you that she'll join your team if you don't kill her. I kept Samara because I didn't like the idea of giving her up before learning anything about her, but there are other people who enjoy playing with her daughter on the team instead.

I want the Paramour Trophy but also want the keep Liara as my Love Interest so that when I transfer the game over to ME3. Any Suggestions?

mrseaves

Banned
I love Mass Effect 2 to bits but I hope the next game has less combat and exploration (I always play on Easy and cheat my way through fights) and focused more on plot, dialogue choices and romance instead.

Dice

From what I have read, you just have to get with somebody then reload and turn them down. Achievements must save separately from the storyline saves. Apparently, so long as you don't give your sweet lovin to anyone, things with Liara will be unaffected. If her picture in your cabin is still up, things are still good with her. All the romance scenes happen
just before you take the Omega 4 Relay,
so save just before then.

With Shadow Broker
it seems assumed that it is after the main story, and apparently if you were with someone, you get the chance to go back on that when Liara asks you if they are what you're fighting for or something like that.
Whether that really affects things in ME3 is still pure speculation and guesswork, but I'm still going to take the safe route and reload. I think the fact they even made the Shadow Broker DLC shows that they have Liara-lovers in mind and won't ruin their experience. Especially with her prominent role in the story canon and
talking about marriage and babies and whatnot
, she almost seems like the "intended" love interest.

Dice said:
From what I have read, you just have to get with somebody then reload and turn them down. Achievements must save separately from the storyline saves. Apparently, so long as you don't give your sweet lovin to anyone, things with Liara will be unaffected. If her picture in your cabin is still up, things are still good with her. All the romance scenes happen
just before you take the Omega 4 Relay,
so save just before then.

With Shadow Broker
it seems assumed that it is after the main story, and apparently if you were with someone, you get the chance to go back on that when Liara asks you if they are what you're fighting for or something like that.
Whether that really affects things in ME3 is still pure speculation and guesswork, but I'm still going to take the safe route and reload. I think the fact they even made the Shadow Broker DLC shows that they have Liara-lovers in mind and won't ruin their experience. Especially with her prominent role in the story canon and
talking about marriage and babies and whatnot
, she almost seems like the "intended" love interest.

Appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom