• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT2| The Den Of Xenophiles

AAK said:
-Planet Scanning for Resources is so fucking tedious... and there are 100's of planets :/
-Is it just my PS3 crapping out or is the sound always having an off sync delay during cutscenes where some action scene is taking place (gun shot/physical strike/etc)?
-Frame rate is also ass when rotating the camera
-I went with a female Shephard, am I missing out on anything really special that would have been unique with male Shephard?
Planet scanning tip- I suggest stopping scanning for certain things once you hit like 100,000. You should pretty much be clear the rest of the game with that in each (or less). Only scan on super rich planets when possible, to save your time and money. I scanned EVERY PLANET that was moderate or higher on my first run and finished with next to no money and TONS of extra resources.

The other things, I can't comment on. I never had that happen on 360, so I assume it is a ps3 issue.

The only difference between male and female are your romance options. So, yeah. You missed out on Tali. You need to restart your game.

AAK said:
Damn... this game is so addictive... I'm loving it. This is honestly the first RPG I've ever enjoyed this much.

Couple things:

-Planet Scanning for Resources is so fucking tedious... and there are 100's of planets :/
-Is it just my PS3 crapping out or is the sound always having an off sync delay during cutscenes where some action scene is taking place (gun shot/physical strike/etc)?
-I went with a female Shephard, am I missing out on anything really special that would have been unique with male Shephard?

The audio thing is a well known bug that they never fixed. It's prevalent throughout the game so be prepared for that : /

Melchiah

I really hope they somehow fix the loading times when you're moving from one floor to another in Normandy. That was my major gripe with the game, as it made the interaction with the crew between the missions a tedious process.

Fry

Gaf, can someone give me a little help?

I got back to this game today, after about a year. But for my surprise, it's asking me to redeem code to have the Cerberus Network. The thing is, I did it the first day I bought the game. And now I don't have the code anymore.

Same thing happened when I started Dead Space 2 yesterday. It asked me for the online pass code, and fortunately I kept it. What's all that about? Is this EA's problem?

Foxix Von

AAK said:
Damn... this game is so addictive... I'm loving it. This is honestly the first RPG I've ever enjoyed this much.

Couple things:

No issues for me with framerate yet but there have been some weird audio delays on the PS3 version. Also had a weird glitch in which the sound of a ships gunfire in the background got swapped out for the main audio of the game and amplified by 3 times it's normal volume. About damn near blew my speakers out hahaha.

Don't worry about male shep too much... everyone knows that femshep is the real shep.

Also.... Something, something ME2 isn't an RPG something, something.

Fry

Typographenia said:
Have you tried to login to your account on the forums? Maybe there was some password thing or some new something you have to agree to on your account?

I tried to do that but I couldn't find anything. Then I went to the EA support live chat, gave some infos about my account, and the guy automatically activated Cerberus Network for me again.

I was very surprised at how quick and easy it was, because the last time I tried to get help from EA, they did the opposite.
Thanks for the trying to help me though. :)

Fry8 said:
I was very surprised at how quick and easy it was, because the last time I tried to get help from EA, they did the opposite.
Thanks for the trying to help me though. :)
I'm glad you were able to get it worked out, at least.
Any idea what the problem was? Did he happen to mention what was causing you to be locked out?

I haven't touched ME2 in several months, so I'm hoping this isn't an across the board issue...

Rokam

So since it appears Bioware won't be releasing a ME/ME2 combo pack with all dlc, so is there any DLC that's necessary for the storyline that I should pick up when I buy the games?

Rokam said:
So since it appears Bioware won't be releasing a ME/ME2 combo pack with all dlc, so is there any DLC that's necessary for the storyline that I should pick up when I buy the games?
As far as the story goes, the only ones you "need" are Lair of the Shadow Broker and The Arrival or whatever that last one was.
However, the most recent DLC in ME2 will be covered at the beginning of ME3, if the initial talk is to be believed.

Lair of the Shadow Broker likely won't tie-in directly to the main story, but who knows?

Honestly, I recommend just playing Lair of the Shadow Broker and maybe watching a Let's Play of the Arrival.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Typographenia said:
As far as the story goes, the only ones you "need" are Lair of the Shadow Broker and The Arrival or whatever that last one was.
However, the most recent DLC in ME2 will be covered at the beginning of ME3, if the initial talk is to be believed.

Lair of the Shadow Broker likely won't tie-in directly to the main story, but who knows?

Honestly, I recommend just playing Lair of the Shadow Broker and maybe watching a Let's Play of the Arrival.

Lair of the Shadow Broker is pretty good yeah, storywise you learn another side of Liara which i guess could be important to ME3, not to mention the whole Shadow Broker thing, but dont waste money on Arrival, its pretty mediocre.

Rokam, the only thing you need to know about Arrival is that Shepard
destroyed a Mass Relay and a whole Batarian system in the process to delay the Reapers invasion. And people aren't happy about it.

coldfoot said:
I realized it's only $20 on PSN now. Does that include all the DLC that comes with the disc?
I can't find anything on the page that says it does include it, but I would assume it does include the DLC since it's in the retail release.
Don't take my word on it, though! The lack of info regarding that is disappointing.

Yeah, Bisnic, I agree. I'm just not holding my breath on LotSB events to carry over in any real capacity, unfortunately.
Plus, the Arrival took me like... 30 minutes or so my first time playing it? It's crazy short, and it doesn't do much except set up some ridiculous scenario for the intro to ME3.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Typographenia said:
I can't find anything on the page that says it does include it, but I would assume it does include the DLC since it's in the retail release.
Don't take my word on it, though! The lack of info regarding that is disappointing.

Yeah, Bisnic, I agree.
Plus, the Arrival took me like... 30 minutes or so my first time playing it? It's crazy short, and it doesn't do much except set up some ridiculous scenario for the intro to ME3.

It's not THAT short unless you just rush through it and skip all dialogues. And surely
Liara being the Shadow Broker
will be of some importance in ME3.

Maybe an hour? All I know was it was the shortest of the DLC, by far.
At least they had that section where you were
sneaking around.

Fun doing something different, but too bad it didn't really work that well, haha.

Hehe.

I don't know if everyone knew this or not, but in ME1 after you've gotten the option to dance alongside Doran in Flux, make sure the option to dance is within sight, hold the trigger, and press the A button. Shepherd now dances with gun drawn and firing wildly.

To me personally this is awesome. I will do it a lot.

Now that they aren't making anymore DLC for the game, they should have released a GOTY edition with all the DLC included. I would have bought one.

Got the game awhile back and have been enjoying my progress so far. A little under 10hrs in. Just made it to the reveal of
Collectors[/spoilers]. Really enjoying all the different characters. I'm still pretty early in the game so I kinda just pick different random characters for each mission just to mix it up. Only issue with the game I have(ps3 version) is that sometimes the audio doesn't sync well with certain cutscenes. especially the really action heavy ones. Other than that, I don't have many other issues. Love the music in the game. Pretty fantastic.

Rokam

Now that they aren't making anymore DLC for the game, they should have released a GOTY edition with all the DLC included. I would have bought one.

I'm honestly suprised they didn't put out a ME/ME2 combo pack with all available DLC to draw in new players for ME3. Come on Bioware.

GSR

I've always kicked myself for buying Arrival and not Kasumi or Overlord. Lair of the Shadow Broker tricked me, I suppose.

I wish we could get some confirmation on how Zaeed and Kasumi tie into ME3. If Kasumi was a full squad member in ME3 if you had her DLC, I'd buy it in a heartbeat, but right now I'm not that inclined to go buy a party member for a game I don't have much of any intention to fully play through ever again.

AAK

I realized it's only $20 on PSN now. Does that include all the DLC that comes with the disc?

What!!! Damn, I should have waited. Honestly, the disc version has horrendous load times and crashes a little more than satisfactory levels. Things like these I assume would have been somewhat alleviated in the PSN version.

I've always kicked myself for buying Arrival and not Kasumi or Overlord. Lair of the Shadow Broker tricked me, I suppose.

I wish we could get some confirmation on how Zaeed and Kasumi tie into ME3. If Kasumi was a full squad member in ME3 if you had her DLC, I'd buy it in a heartbeat, but right now I'm not that inclined to go buy a party member for a game I don't have much of any intention to fully play through ever again.

Kasumi DLC is better than Overlord. I enjoyed it more because it's a great take at the universe as a background and even if Overlord is much longer, it feels less packed and more like a drag through multiple environement that screams deja vu.

Plus, Kasumi had a great art direction and music

CrazyDude

Kasumi DLC is better than Overlord. I enjoyed it more because it's a great take at the universe as a background and even if Overlord is much longer, it feels less packed and more like a drag through multiple environement that screams deja vu.

I loved looking out at the city in the background.

Mechazawa

Does anyone know where I can find the "Mass Effect Story Recap" that was on Bioware's site? The link in the OT doesn't work because it looks like Bioware's taken stuff down and slapped on some promotional ME3 videos.

Just finished up my playthrough on PS3. 32 hours as an Engineer. I kinda wish I would have played as a Soldier to have access to better weapons. It was nice though when I started to get assault rifles which made it much more enjoyable. Enjoyed the game a lot though.

Story was really interesting. I didn't have the opportunity to play ME1 but hope to have a chance to play it someday. I much more enjoyed the story elements regarding all the characters you meet and get to join with. Tali and Thane were probably my favorite characters, sadly I wasn't able to have them survive the end. :( I lost a lot of my team actually so I'm probably gonna play again hopefully getting everyone to survive this time.

Gameplay was pretty good. Like I mentioned, I probably would have enjoyed Soldier more. Using pistols for most of the game wasn't all that fun. I hit some tough spots later on, but once I learned to use talents more often I came out pretty good.

Other stuff:
-I guess I should have made more upgrades to the ship. Mainly focused on things like armor and weapons and didn't expect that to have an effect on the final mission.
-Was able to get everyone "loyal" except for 2 of my characters, Zaeed and Miranda-who was loyal but I messed it up and wasn't able to get it back. I thought having everyone loyal would protect them but still ended up losing most of them.

I definitely feel like playing through it again. Wondering if I should just new game + this time or try out a new class.

Joe Molotov

I think the Kasumi loyalty mission is probably the best in the game.

Quick question here: Does the PS3 version come with the ME1 "decision comic" so choices done in ME1 will be brought over to ME2 on the disc, or is it DLC?

I own ME2 on 360 and have bought a friend ME2 for his PS3 you see :)

Trey

Just finished up my playthrough on PS3. 32 hours as an Engineer. I kinda wish I would have played as a Soldier to have access to better weapons. It was nice though when I started to get assault rifles which made it much more enjoyable. Enjoyed the game a lot though.

Story was really interesting. I didn't have the opportunity to play ME1 but hope to have a chance to play it someday. I much more enjoyed the story elements regarding all the characters you meet and get to join with. Tali and Thane were probably my favorite characters, sadly I wasn't able to have them survive the end. :( I lost a lot of my team actually so I'm probably gonna play again hopefully getting everyone to survive this time.

Gameplay was pretty good. Like I mentioned, I probably would have enjoyed Soldier more. Using pistols for most of the game wasn't all that fun. I hit some tough spots later on, but once I learned to use talents more often I came out pretty good.

Other stuff:
-I guess I should have made more upgrades to the ship. Mainly focused on things like armor and weapons and didn't expect that to have an effect on the final mission.
-Was able to get everyone "loyal" except for 2 of my characters, Zaeed and Miranda-who was loyal but I messed it up and wasn't able to get it back. I thought having everyone loyal would protect them but still ended up losing most of them.

I definitely feel like playing through it again. Wondering if I should just new game + this time or try out a new class.

There's a rather handy guide on the Bioware forums on how to make sure you survive with all members. It's rather easy once you know what's what, too. Although, it's more personal to go into it blind and make decisions on the fly. More intimate.

AAK

Ah ok, my bad. That makes sense. My whole disc size is 12 GB so it would make sense to install the whole 12 GB onto your PS3 for the PSN version. If you don't mind me asking, did the cutscenes have a major sound delay during some of the action scenes? Also how was the framerate during intense moments that also involved a lot of camera rotations and such. These things were really bad in the disc version and I'm wondering if it was any different for the PSN version.

rozay

Banned
Ah ok, my bad. That makes sense. My whole disc size is 12 GB so it would make sense to install the whole 12 GB onto your PS3 for the PSN version. If you don't mind me asking, did the cutscenes have a major sound delay during some of the action scenes? Also how was the framerate during intense moments that also involved a lot of camera rotations and such. These things were really bad in the disc version and I'm wondering if it was any different for the PSN version.
Judging by a post of his in a different thread, it was the same. Sucks that Bioware didn't at least try to fix the problems during development or with a patch, hopefully ME3 fares better.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

Haven't played in a while... your first question I'm not sure. I don't usually pick up on audio stuff unless it's really glaring. If there was any problem like that, I probably just attributed it to regular console jank. Someone more sensitive to it than me might be able to answer better. I mean, nothing was out of synch, and that's about the extent of my ability to comment.

Framerate, however... (and again I'm not hugely sensitive to FR unless it drops down below the 30's) this game is pretty framey. It was occasionally annoying even for someone like me, but I wouldn't call it obnoxious.

I remember playing ME1 on 360, and the last mission was horrendous for framerate... I've not encountered anything even approaching that in all of ME2, and I'm nearing the end.

Although there are a lot of bugs... but it's mostly friendly AI behavior. I imagine this is a problem across all platforms. Probably the worst friendly AI I've experienced in a long time.

Judging by a post of his in a different thread, it was the same. Sucks that Bioware didn't at least try to fix the problems during development or with a patch, hopefully ME3 fares better.

If you're referring to me... I'm kind of wondering in what regard. Because I rarely comment on tech issues, since I don't have the background for it. I only speak up when something seems really glaringly broken. My issues with ME2 have more to do with design decisions. Things like repetitiveness, general gameplay -- where they put their development priorities/focus.

There are some things about these games I absolutely love. And things I really don't like one bit.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Shit... wrong video. OOps, my bad:

this is what I was referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QY2_FWusnY

I honestly don't remember... it's interesting that yesterday I started playing this again after a long break hoping to finally finish it up and clear HDD space.

So maybe I'll play some more later and specifically watch for this audio problem. I'll post if I encounter it.

There's a rather handy guide on the Bioware forums on how to make sure you survive with all members. It's rather easy once you know what's what, too. Although, it's more personal to go into it blind and make decisions on the fly. More intimate.

Yea I'm gonna follow a guide my next playthrough. Half my team was dead at the end lol. I also ended up not having any love interest my first time through. Hopefully I can this time around. You're mine Tali!

Top Bottom