• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT2| The Den Of Xenophiles

Dany

Banned
Huh, you all know space racist Ashley Williams and her famous quote "I can't tell the Aliens from the Animals"
I just played through a section on it citadel and on the galactic news, turians and salarians were posthumously rewarding Williams (she died in this save) for her efforts to save the citadel and they TOTALY misqoute her as saying "We're all just a bunch of animals." Was this a gaf or are they trying to change ashely to no longer be a space bigot?

Anyways, I finished my renegade shepard where only Mordin, Morinth, Miranda and Garrus lived and half my crew died. I wanted to keep jack but ME forums told me it would be kinda impossible to keep her and mordin at the same time with so many others dying.

Dany M said:
Huh, you all know space racist Ashley Williams and her famous quote "I can't tell the Aliens from the Animals"
I just played through a section on it citadel and on the galactic news, turians and salarians were posthumously rewarding Williams (she died in this save) for her efforts to save the citadel and they TOTALY misqoute her as saying "We're all just a bunch of animals." Was this a gaf or are they trying to change ashely to no longer be a space bigot?

Probably a joke about how Ashley's heroic death makes her like an outer space folk hero. So there's already myths and exaggerations spreading about her life.

All of a sudden, I started wondering...

What is the point of the three Normandy crew quests besides feeling warm and fuzzy? Was XP given without notice? Non squad moral doesn't seem to matter in the fight against the Collectors...

Purchasing better food for the mess hall, getting Chakwas her brandy, acquiring engine parts for engineering to improve maintenance cycles...

Patryn

Mammothtank said:
All of a sudden, I started wondering...

What is the point of the three Normandy crew quests besides feeling warm and fuzzy? Was XP given without notice? Non squad moral doesn't seem to matter in the fight against the Collectors...

Purchasing better food for the mess hall, getting Chakwas her brandy, acquiring engine parts for engineering to improve maintenance cycles...

To help create tension and up the stakes when they are abducted. Think about it: If you didn't connect with them, you wouldn't care that they were taken.

Patryn said:
To help create tension and up the stakes when they are abducted. Think about it: If you didn't connect with them, you wouldn't care that they were taken.

True, and it's not like they were hard to accomplish. I greatly enjoyed working with Cerberus crew-members...shame I'll be killing them in the next game, but I guess there isn't any choice about that.

Hey all. My fiance is currently playing through ME2, probably 75% done at this point. I can't help but wonder, we both went through as an all Paragon character, but a lot of the alternate choices it gave me are inaccessible to her. For example:

for Zaeed's loyalty mission, I chose to save the people, allowing Vito to get away. He still became loyal to me, but when my fiance did the same, he was unloyal

For the Samara vs. her daughter fight, it gave me the option to allow Samara to die and recruit the daughter instead. It did not give my fiance this option

When Miranda and Jack were bickering, it made Shepard choose which one to shut up. For me, it gave me a blue/charm option "stop it both of you!" but for her, this was not lit up; she had to choose one causing the other to become unloyal.

I truly cannot see why this is happening though, she is making pretty much all the same exact choices that I made. Is it because she is playing a female Shep and I played male? Or maybe the amount of times you actually use these characters in your party has an effect on the choices it gives you?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Gryphter said:
Hey all. My fiance is currently playing through ME2, probably 75% done at this point. I can't help but wonder, we both went through as an all Paragon character, but a lot of the alternate choices it gave me are inaccessible to her. For example:

for Zaeed's loyalty mission, I chose to save the people, allowing Vito to get away. He still became loyal to me, but when my fiance did the same, he was unloyal

For the Samara vs. her daughter fight, it gave me the option to allow Samara to die and recruit the daughter instead. It did not give my fiance this option

When Miranda and Jack were bickering, it made Shepard choose which one to shut up. For me, it gave me a blue/charm option "stop it both of you!" but for her, this was not lit up; she had to choose one causing the other to become unloyal.

I truly cannot see why this is happening though, she is making pretty much all the same exact choices that I made. Is it because she is playing a female Shep and I played male? Or maybe the amount of times you actually use these characters in your party has an effect on the choices it gives you?

The only reason is because her Paragon meter isn't as high as you. You almost always have to choose the top option to get Paragon points. Choosing the middle option is bad and she probably used it more than you think or missed some optional sidequests that can give more points.

There is also your class talent at rank 4 that can give you 100% Paragon/Renegade points instead of 70%. Maybe she's missing that too.

Yeah, I figured it was the Paragon points but her meter is at like 70%. Can't remember how high mine was at those points, but I'm sure it was similar.

Bisnic said:
There is also your class talent at rank 4 that can give you 100% Paragon/Renegade points instead of 70%. Maybe she's missing that too.

that could be it. We're both Vanguards but I don't think she maxed out any of her stats

Complistic

Dany M said:

Anyways, I finished my renegade shepard where only Mordin, Morinth, Miranda and Garrus lived and half my crew died. I wanted to keep jack but ME forums told me it would be kinda impossible to keep her and mordin at the same time with so many others dying.

Bioware's just making fun of how everyone blew the original quote way out of proportion.

Bisnic

Gryphter said:
Yeah, I figured it was the Paragon points but her meter is at like 70%. Can't remember how high mine was at those points, but I'm sure it was similar.

that could be it. We're both Vanguards but I don't think she maxed out any of her stats

Yeah i'm still unsure how the game works with how they make choices available. I had a Shepard who was mostly "neutral"(choosing the middle option has much as possible), but even with 80% Paragon near the end of the game, some Paragon options were still blocked. Yet, another pure Paragon Shepard always had the Paragon options available, no matter if i was at 20, 40, 60 or 80%.

I thought at first that levels and paragon/renegade meter had to be in "balance" or something, but i'm not so sure anymore after transfering a Shepard and starting the game at lvl 30 with an empty meter.

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Morality
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/105/index/2907273
Note: The morality system of Mass Effect 2 works on percentages rather than the total points earned. There is a set number of morality points available in the game. Shepard's current "effective" morality score at any given point is the number of points earned out of the number of points available from the areas the commander has explored so far. It is possible to have Shepard's Paragon/Renegade scale(s) maxed out, but still not have the percentage required for certain dialog options

LosDaddie

Banned
So, I'm still going through my full-paragon Vanguard playthrough and I was all worried about losing either Miranda's or Jack's loyalty during
doing Jack's loyalty mission
, but I ended up having enough Paragon points to difuse the situation. :lol

I'm doing pretty much everything (all sidequests and loyalty missions) before doing the Reaper IFF mission, since I want to keep all my crew alive. I was thinking about doing the Shadow Broker DLC before doing the IFF mission, but I think I'll wait until I've finished the game. Same with the Arrival DLC.

And I finally got the helper chick by the Galaxy Map in the NOrmandy to go back to my cabin with me. :lol It's cool though. Miranda still wants me to smang that thing.

Great game so far. :)

Niblet

Which DLC, if any, is worth purchasing? Things that extend the story / add missions. Please, no spoilers (haven't played yet).

Side question: has the DLC ever been on sale?

Woorloog

Banned
Niblet said:
Which DLC, if any, is worth purchasing? Things that extend the story / add missions. Please, no spoilers (haven't played yet).

Dunno if they've been on sale but Lair of the Shadow Broker is best DLC ever (at least one i know). Good mission, fun, adds game breaking Stasis power. It is suggested you do LotSB after the ME2 main quest, can be done at any point, ties to ME3 and ME3 assumes LotSB happens, EVEN IF YOU DIDN'T DO IT in an imported save.
Arrival ties to ME3 as well and ME3 assumes it's done regardless whether you did it or not, so i suggest you get it and play it even though it is pretty generic shoot everything (without squad, solo mission).

Zaeed and Kasumi DLCs are ok, KasumiDLC is better and is pretty fun mission with good music.

Overlord is great DLC but it seems to be a side story and somehow i doubt it has any impact to ME3. Driving around Hammerhead in open zone is fun, it is as Mako/Uncharted worlds in ME1 should've been done.

Niblet

Woorloog said:
Dunno if they've been on sale but Lair of the Shadow Broker is best DLC ever (at least one i know). Good mission, fun, adds game breaking Stasis power. It is suggested you do LotSB after the ME2 main quest, can be done at any point, ties to ME3 and ME3 assumes LotSB happens, EVEN IF YOU DIDN'T DO IT in an imported save.
Arrival ties to ME3 as well and ME3 assumes it's done regardless whether you did it or not, so i suggest you get it and play it even though it is pretty generic shoot everything (without squad, solo mission).

Zaeed and Kasumi DLCs are ok, KasumiDLC is better and is pretty fun mission with good music.

Overlord is great DLC but it seems to be a side story and somehow i doubt it has any impact to ME3. Driving around Hammerhead in open zone is fun, it is as Mako/Uncharted worlds in ME1 should've been done.

Maybe, I'm better off watching a video playthrough of the arrival DLC then as it doesn't sound too fun. Do we know if any choices made in arrival DLC will carry over when you import your save to ME3?

Reuenthal

Banned
I am looking at replaying this with most DLC and I am wondering if there are any really good mods that add content to install as well before playing.

Woorloog

Banned
Niblet said:
Maybe, I'm better off watching a video playthrough of the arrival DLC then as it doesn't sound too fun. Do we know if any choices made in arrival DLC will carry over when you import your save to ME3?
There's one choice that may affect ME3. Might. I doubt dialogue choices does, how you speak to Admiral Hackett.
If you choose to watch playthroughs, be sure to watch both paragon and renegade ones to see that one choice.
Reuenthal said:
I am looking at replaying this with most DLC and I am wondering if there are any really good mods that add content to install as well before playing.
There are no user made mods that add content as far as i know, only mods that modify existing stuff (weapons, armor colors, additional ship clothes).
http://www.moddb.com/mods/flashs-mass-effect-2-mod1
Check that out, if it suits you.
EDIT i don't have ME2 PC version and i have no idea how the changes actually work, check the other ModDB listed ME2 mods.

Reuenthal

Banned
Woorloog said:
There's one choice that may affect ME3. Might. I doubt dialogue choices does, how you speak to Admiral Hackett.
If you choose to watch playthroughs, be sure to watch both paragon and renegade ones to see that one choice.

There are no user made mods that add content as far as i know, only mods that modify existing stuff (weapons, armor colors, additional ship clothes).
http://www.moddb.com/mods/flashs-mass-effect-2-mod1
Check that out, if it suits you.
EDIT i don't have ME2 PC version and i have no idea how the changes actually work, check the other ModDB listed ME2 mods.

Yeah a no scanning mod is certainly a necessity for me. These changes seem good I guess but I will browse some more.

Gvaz

Banned
Niblet said:

Guns, lair of the shadow broker

skip the rest.

Niblet

Been playing ME2 the past 3 days. Holy shi- is this real life? In regards to mass effect 1, when I was at the end of that game, I remember thinking "this game is amazing. It has its flaws, but I love it." It was firmly entrenched as my favorite current generation game until Bayonetta took to the throne.
ME2 blows ME1 out of the water from what I have played so far. No contest. I can see why it was GAF GOTY. I. LOVE. THIS. SERIES.
6f428754.gif

Enough wanking, I have a question. I have LotSB and I am on the planet Ilium to do Miranda loyalty. I was instructed by an asari to go see the information broker. I presume this starts the LotSB mission, yes? I was told by EDI to seek out this person to get information on 2 more squadmates. So should I go speak to her? Will it trigger the mission or can I decide to do it later? Should this REALLY be done later?

Niblet said:
Enough wanking, I have a question. I have LotSB and I am on the planet Ilium to do Miranda loyalty. I was instructed by an asari to go see the information broker. I presume this starts the LotSB mission, yes? I was told by EDI to seek out this person to get information on 2 more squadmates. So should I go speak to her? Will it trigger the mission or can I decide to do it later? Should this REALLY be done later?
The information broker should have their dialogue set in such a way that choosing a specific option will set you down that quest road. If you're worried about doing one accidentally, just do a manual save before talking to them. It should be fairly clear what option does what, though. Be sure to take a good look around Illium before talking to them, though. Nice to get acquainted with the locals!

Also, I personally recommend waiting on LotSB until after you beat the game, but it doesn't matter in the long run. Just go for it whenever you feel like you're ready. You might want to level a bit more before heading out on it, but it should be doable at most any point.

Niblet

Typographenia said:
The information broker should have their dialogue set in such a way that choosing a specific option will set you down that quest road. If you're worried about doing one accidentally, just do a manual save before talking to them. It should be fairly clear what option does what, though. Be sure to take a good look around Illium before talking to them, though. Nice to get acquainted with the locals!

Also, I personally recommend waiting on LotSB until after you beat the game, but it doesn't matter in the long run. Just go for it whenever you feel like you're ready. You might want to level a bit more before heading out on it, but it should be doable at most any point.

Thanks for the answer. I'll do it later then.

Ellis Kim

Banned
So I'm playing through this for the first time... and I'm at odds with what advanced weapon training to choose for Engineer. Do I go assault rifle, shotgun, or sniper? My natural inclination is to go sniper... but are the sniper rifles any good in this game? I have no idea. Assault rifle seems redundant seeing as how my SMG does all the work I need it to, while a shotgun sounds kind of nice, as I do like to get pretty close to the front lines and blast people away.

MaddenNFL64

Ellis Kim said:
So I'm playing through this for the first time... and I'm at odds with what advanced weapon training to choose for Engineer. Do I go assault rifle, shotgun, or sniper? My natural inclination is to go sniper... but are the sniper rifles any good in this game? I have no idea. Assault rifle seems redundant seeing as how my SMG does all the work I need it to, while a shotgun sounds kind of nice, as I do like to get pretty close to the front lines and blast people away.

Never played the engineer class myself, but if you do advance train the sniper, you get the widow. Everyone wants the fucking widow. So do that.

Woorloog

Banned
Ellis Kim said:
Asssault rifles doesn't make SMGs redutant, especially if you have have DLC. Vindicator (burst firing AR)+Tempest offers medium-range and short range options. Mattock+Tempest as well. Vindicator/Mattoc+Locust. Burst fired Avenger works as well due ARs being more accurate and poweful than SMGs.
Of course if you happen to have Tungest Ammo+fully upgraded Tempest, ARs are useless. Ridiculous volume of fire plus bonus damage makes short work of any enemy...
BTW, Mattock works extremly well even in close quarters if you have quick trigger finger and you're accurate.

Shotguns work if you have CC/Drone centric build. Disable/distract enemies and blast them away...

Snipers are a safe choice, just don't dismiss Viper outright. Engineer is a support class and coupled with semi-auto sniper which is useful for stripping defenses you can leave finishing enemies to your squad mates (preferrably manually targeted powers or high damage weapons, snipers and shotguns though the squad AI sucks at using shotguns.

I don't think there's any one one weapon above others in ME2, SMG+Pistol is more than enough for any encounter really, even on Insane. Pick what suits your build and playstyle.

MaddenNFL64 said:
Never played the engineer class myself, but if you do advance train the sniper, you get the widow. Everyone wants the fucking widow. So do that.
False. Only Infiltrator and Soldier can get Widow. A waste of point on easier difficulties due Mantis being almost as good.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
As an Infiltrator I found the sniper rifles incredibly overpowered on Normal. And once I unlocked the homing flare attack? The game was just easy from then on, everything went down in one headshot supplemented with maybe one to two fireballs.

MaddenNFL64

Woorloog said:
False. Only Infiltrator and Soldier can get Widow. A waste of point on easier difficulties due Mantis being almost as good.

But if he can advance train the sniper, what does he get? Never playing the engineer, I have no idea. The Vanguard never got the option to upgrade the sniper on the Collector ship (if I remember right), the Adept never got to use one, and like you said, infil & soldier got it.

Woorloog

Banned
MaddenNFL64 said:
But if he can advance train the sniper, what does he get? Never playing the engineer, I have no idea. The Vanguard never got the option to upgrade the sniper on the Collector ship (if I remember right), the Adept never got to use one, and like you said, infil & soldier got it.
If you have a class capable using, say, snipers, they get option to choose the unique weapon. If they don't have a class of weapons, they can unlock it. Infiltrators can unlock the Widow, ARs or Shotguns. Vanguards can unlock the Claymore, ARs or snipers etc...

MaddenNFL64

Woorloog said:
If you have a class capable using, say, snipers, they get option to choose the unique weapon. If they don't have a class of weapons, they can unlock it. Infiltrators can unlock the Widow, ARs or Shotguns. Vanguards can unlock the Claymore, ARs or snipers etc...

Oh now I remember, you get to use a sniper. Shit, ya my memory is hazy lol.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Woorloog said:
Asssault rifles doesn't make SMGs redutant, especially if you have have DLC. Vindicator (burst firing AR)+Tempest offers medium-range and short range options. Mattock+Tempest as well. Vindicator/Mattoc+Locust. Burst fired Avenger works as well due ARs being more accurate and poweful than SMGs.
Of course if you happen to have Tungest Ammo+fully upgraded Tempest, ARs are useless. Ridiculous volume of fire plus bonus damage makes short work of any enemy...
BTW, Mattock works extremly well even in close quarters if you have quick trigger finger and you're accurate.

Shotguns work if you have CC/Drone centric build. Disable/distract enemies and blast them away...

Snipers are a safe choice, just don't dismiss Viper outright. Engineer is a support class and coupled with semi-auto sniper which is useful for stripping defenses you can leave finishing enemies to your squad mates (preferrably manually targeted powers or high damage weapons, snipers and shotguns though the squad AI sucks at using shotguns.

I don't think there's any one one weapon above others in ME2, SMG+Pistol is more than enough for any encounter really, even on Insane. Pick what suits your build and playstyle.

hmmm

I might go shotgun... but using sniper to strip defense sounds like a nice idea. And yes, I do use the drone alot for distracting.

I wish I could have my cake and eat it, lol. Hmmm.

I just bought this for U$20 bucks at walmart. Does the PS3 version include all DLC or is there some DLC that's not there? I don't want to keep it if they're gonna release an Ultimate version in 3 months or something.

Melchiah

AranhaHunter said:
I just bought this for U$20 bucks at walmart. Does the PS3 version include all DLC or is there some DLC that's not there? I don't want to keep it if they're gonna release an Ultimate version in 3 months or something.

Arrival is the only DLC not included, and there might have been some weapon/armor DLCs that weren't included.

Woorloog

Banned
AranhaHunter said:
How is the Arrival DLC? Is it worth it?
Well if you have everything else, you just might grab it aswell...
It ties directly to ME3. In fact, it is the reason ME3 starts the way it starts and ME3 assumes you've done it regardless of whether you have done it or not. Or have it.
Solo shooting (no squad mates in this mission), nothing special, there are no big choices and i doubt the small ones (mostly dialogue) affect ME3 but they just might.

MaddenNFL64

The Arrival isn't the best one, but it's worth it imo. The music is pretty good, and the ending is fucking crazy to see. Nice eye candy. Not Shadow Broker level, not even close, but good times for me anyway.

Bisnic

The only thing i really liked about the Arrival was the last part with the
Mass Relay getting closer and closer until it went boom
. Everything else wasn't anything special compared to Shadow Broker and Overlord. Just boring corridors after boring corridors with maybe some stealth at the beginning if you wanted to do it.

Melchiah

^ I think you should spoiler tag that, as AranhaHunter clearly hasn't played it.

And like everyone else said, Arrival isn't the best of the DLCs but it's worth it if you have all the rest, and want to experience the whole of the story.

Melchiah

Just noticed the auto update function on PS3 had patched ME2. Anyone know what the patch included? I tried to google it, but didn't find anything.

EDIT: Just realized it was probably an old patch, as I haven't played the game after Arrival, and I just had subscribed to Plus service with its auto updates.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I stopped playing this near the end... just got too repetitious and the story didn't keep me interested like the original. Boring, samey game. Kind of curious how it ends but more hallways filled with the repetitious (mediocre) combat is too high a price.

This game tries to do a lot and doesn't really do any of it very well. Worst offense is that it's just boring as shit. Highlight was the aesthetics.

Pass on ME3... just don't care anymore.

I thought ME1 was really awesome.

Slermy

How close were you?

I thought the pacing of the final mission was really well done, great sense of "oh shit, my friends could die". Incredibly awesome up until the final battle.

Gvaz

Banned
I didn't like ME2's story either but the story elements were the best parts imo, it was the recruit missions that had to go.

Top Bottom