• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT2| The Den Of Xenophiles

mauaus said:
If i start a separate game just to watch the comic would I be missing something?
The comic allows you to make 6 choices (from the first game's story and actions) which play small parts and twists to ME2, might be worth watching the comic just so you know the back story and why you were worthy of being revived from death, and so on.

The choices are like who your love interest was, who died out of ashley and kaiden, did wrex die or not, ect.

Default ME2 is classed as renegade choices so it's like you were bad.

Patryn

mauaus said:
If i start a separate game just to watch the comic would I be missing something?

If you choose not to watch the comic, the game will assume you made all the renegade choices from ME1 (i.e. council, Rachni and Wrex are all dead) and saved and romanced the human crew member (so Ashley is alive for MaleSheps and Kaiden is alive for FemSheps).

delirium

Something about the new Mass Effect comic doesn't make sense.
How the fuck are the humans and turians speaking to each other? It's set during the First Contact War
Also, finally great to see a female turian.

delirium said:
How the fuck are the humans and turians speaking to each other? It's set during the First Contact War

They discovered Prothean Plot Devices on Mars powered by disbelief suspension.

I haven't read any of the comics. Are they any good?

Charles

I might get this tomorrow, but does the comic do a good enough job of recapping the first game? I know that actually playing the first game would be preferable, but my PC is on it's last legs and I won't get a new one for a couple of months.

scarybore

delirium said:

Yeah, I dunno. Then again, Vigil learned a lot of languages in a tiny amount of time. Problem is, you would think they would be able to broker some kind of agreement if that was the case, before the Citadel got involved.

Can't say I like em, not a lot of thought put into their designs.

Charles said:
I might get this tomorrow, but does the comic do a good enough job of recapping the first game? I know that actually playing the first game would be preferable, but my PC is on it's last legs and I won't get a new one for a couple of months.

It's pretty shallow and it skips over an entire main story mission from the first game but it covers the most important events. If you want to any amount of depth, I suggest you read some of the Mass Effect wiki and specifically this section . Be careful not to read ME2 spoilers. Obviously, it doesn't replace playing the original, which is by far the best way to catch up, but it should fill in the huge gaps in the comic and give you a better appreciation for the great universe they created.

Charles

Felix Lighter said:
It's pretty shallow and it skips over an entire main story mission from the first game but it covers the most important events. If you want to any amount of depth, I suggest you read some of the Mass Effect wiki and specifically this section . Be careful not to read ME2 spoilers. Obviously, it doesn't replace playing the original, which is by far the best way to catch up, but it should fill in the huge gaps in the comic and give you a better appreciation for the great universe they created.

Thanks, I intend to play the original once I get a new PC, but I'm usually pretty good at piecing together gaps in stories.

Charles said:

yeah in a very quick sense. best thing is that if you want to have multiple playthroughs of ME 2 - eg renegade vanguard, paragon soldier etc, you can pick the various combinations of choices in ME1 without having to play through the game. Its harder to play ME1 after ME2 as the core mechanics are improved so much (albeit with big reductions in RPG elements like stats and loot)

Well, looks like there IS a way to transfer saves from 360 to PC. That means that I'll be going PC only for ME3. Sorry 360, love you to death but the game looks and plays so much better on PC, it's like night and day.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
delirium said:
Now I need this. Going to the store tomorrow...

darkjedi187 said:
I'm a bit confused. Where do you get the comic. I don't see it on PSN.
At least on 360 downloads were offered under the Extras menu. I thought after DAO things would be on PSN again, but ehh. :\

DSmalls84

Not sure if this has been answered but is there dlc on the disc? I downloaded the Cerberus Pack and the free Terminus gear, but didn't see a download for Shadow Broker or any other dlc.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
DSmalls84 said:
Not sure if this has been answered but is there dlc on the disc? I downloaded the Cerberus Pack and the free Terminus gear, but didn't see a download for Shadow Broker or any other dlc.
What you've downloaded should be all you need. Kasumi, Overlord and Lair are on disc because they were paid DLC originally.

Ed: Can't believe PS3 gets Terminus armour. :(

bishopcruz said:
Well, looks like there IS a way to transfer saves from 360 to PC. That means that I'll be going PC only for ME3. Sorry 360, love you to death but the game looks and plays so much better on PC, it's like night and day.

Looks better? Hell yeah it does! Better framerate too.

Play better? Hell noooooo! Keyboard and mouse can fuck right off. Mass Effect is just sooo much better with a joypad. Mass Effect is not a twitch shooter. Meaning your increased mouse aiming dexterity is wasted and running around The Citadel or anywhere else with W/S/A/D sucks.

mauaus

Well just started again for the comic and i was not dissapointed, its quite a story im officially intrigued, are the books any good, i see they are $5 on the kindle store :)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Omg... another freeze while trying to save. wtf.

Yeah, thanks, cause I really want to have this long ass conversation one more time... hopefully this is just this section of the game. If it's a recurring thing I'm gonna be so pissed.

mauaus said:
Well just started again for the comic and i was not dissapointed, its quite a story im officially intrigued, are the books any good, i see they are $5 on the kindle store :)
They are ok. They try to expand on the story some more. But if you don't feel like playing through the first game you probably shouldn't bother reading the books either.

Edit: Thematically the first books ties in pretty well with the first game so both are completely different from ME2 and the difference can be a bit jarring so I wouldn't bother with it. The 2nd one might be a bit better because its closer to the direction that ME2 takes but still none of it makes its way into the game in any real way.

mauaus said:

I liked listening to the audio CD in the car as a change from NPR. Krogans make a nice change

Ledsen

ukresistance said:
Looks better? Hell yeah it does! Better framerate too.

Play better? Hell noooooo! Keyboard and mouse can fuck right off. Mass Effect is just sooo much better with a joypad. Mass Effect is not a twitch shooter. Meaning your increased mouse aiming dexterity is wasted and running around The Citadel or anywhere else with W/S/A/D sucks.

You can use the 360 pad on PC...

AlStrong

ukresistance said:

Joke? Sniping is a helluva lot better with a mouse. And generally, I wouldn't say it was wasted just because the game isn't 100% combat. WASD is fine. :s

Ledsen said:
You can use the 360 pad on PC...

I haven't tried 3rd party software, but there is no native support for the 360 gamepad in either ME1 or ME2 PC. Pretty odd considering the work is already done, and it was even more work to build the hot-key UI. I wouldn't have minded the option at all if I could use my PC with the TV, higher graphics settings and whatnot.

Cardigan

recklessmind said:
Omg... another freeze while trying to save. wtf.

Yeah, thanks, cause I really want to have this long ass conversation one more time... hopefully this is just this section of the game. If it's a recurring thing I'm gonna be so pissed.
Just press Square to skip the voice acting.

Evolved1

Just a warning... DD PS3 version seems to be one massively buggy piece of shit.

Freezing when you try to save... getting hung up on loads moving arounf the Normandy (as I type this, they game is caught on the loading screen again trying to move around the ship).

I've never had some many issues with a game before... and I'm only 5-6 hours into it.

Fair warning.

Cardigan said:
Just press Square to skip the voice acting.

Yeah I know... it's just I have to go through all the million conversation options to get full paragon credit... it's bothersome doing it more than once.

And with all these random freezes I'm doing things a lot more than once. :/

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
ukresistance said:
2ezpjc7czpn.gif

Hotkeys completely change the flow of combat (completely removing the need to pause every 3 seconds to access more than 2 of your powers) which makes the game significantly more entertaining.

Stallion Free said:
2ezpjc7czpn.gif

Hotkeys completely change the flow of combat (completely removing the need to pause every 3 seconds to access more than 2 of your powers) which makes the game significantly more entertaining.

console has access to 3 powers, 2 custom and the class power. Thats usually fine.

people, the game was optimized for both pc and console platforms. everyone wins.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
cleveridea said:
console has access to 3 powers, 2 custom and the class power. Thats usually fine.

people, the game was optimized for both pc and console platforms. everyone wins.
On PC you can use your teams powers as well seamlessly. I'm not gonna lay down and let someone try to shit on PC when it has some severe advantages control wise.

Manus

Man load times seem to be longer on PS3 than it was for me on 360 and I didn't even have it installed on 360. Oh well, at least the loading screens are beautiful.

Stallion Free said:
On PC you can use your teams powers as well seamlessly. I'm not gonna lay down and let someone try to shit on PC when it has some severe advantages control wise.

right like I said BOTH are optimized, its down to preference. which is better mouse/keyboard or controller - its subjective, personal choice.

Evolved1

How do you unequip the heavy weapon? I don't want to use it...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
recklessmind said:

You cant I dont think.

recklessmind said:
You always enter the field with all usable weapons, just don't switch to it if the weapon is unwanted, or change it to another heavy weapon as you find new ones, and there are some sweet replacements.

It won't waste your overall ammo or thermal clips so don't worry about it.

Evolved1

Thanks... I think they look pretty dumb... just wanted to take it off.

I got this for PS3, have not started yet. I have not played the first, so I am relying on the comic to fill me in.

Is there anyone that has played ME1 that watched the comic? I want to know how good a job the comic does to fill in that story. What areas might I need to research more to get the full effect of the story in ME2.

Manus

MiamiWesker said:
I got this for PS3, have not started yet. I have not played the first, so I am relying on the comic to fill me in.

Is there anyone that has played ME1 that watched the comic? I want to know how good a job the comic does to fill in that story. What areas might I need to research more to get the full effect of the story in ME2.

Comic does a good job of filling you in on what you missed from the first one.

masterkajo

recklessmind said:
Thanks... I think they look pretty dumb... just wanted to take it off.
One of my complaints... They did a better job in ME2 so you only carry weapons you can use. But still, I would have prefered to unequip the heavy weapon and look at my Shepards beautiful back.

Neki

Going to go Adept next on either Hardcore or Insanity (Insanity might be too hard for a brand new Adept, so dunno.) But I can't decide what bonus power to get. It's either Barrier, Warp Ammo or Energy Drain. I think I could run one of my squadmates for either Warp or Armor Piercing, so it's down to Energy Drain or Barrier. Tough decision, Barrier has saved my life a lot with my Vanguard, but I'll be a lot more passive as Adept, so dunno.

X-Frame

Ultimoo said:
Going to go Adept next on either Hardcore or Insanity (Insanity might be too hard for a brand new Adept, so dunno.) But I can't decide what bonus power to get. It's either Barrier, Warp Ammo or Energy Drain. I think I could run one of my squadmates for either Warp or Armor Piercing, so it's down to Energy Drain or Barrier. Tough decision, Barrier has saved my life a lot with my Vanguard, but I'll be a lot more passive as Adept, so dunno.

I'd go with Stasis personally.

Top Bottom