• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT2| The Den Of Xenophiles

masterkajo

Ultimoo said:
Going to go Adept next on either Hardcore or Insanity (Insanity might be too hard for a brand new Adept, so dunno.) But I can't decide what bonus power to get. It's either Barrier, Warp Ammo or Energy Drain. I think I could run one of my squadmates for either Warp or Armor Piercing, so it's down to Energy Drain or Barrier. Tough decision, Barrier has saved my life a lot with my Vanguard, but I'll be a lot more passive as Adept, so dunno.
A friend of mine played through Insanity with an Adept and choose Reave as his special power. It's similar to warp but you still get healed. Helped him a lot.

scarybore

MiamiWesker said:
I got this for PS3, have not started yet. I have not played the first, so I am relying on the comic to fill me in.

Is there anyone that has played ME1 that watched the comic? I want to know how good a job the comic does to fill in that story. What areas might I need to research more to get the full effect of the story in ME2.

It's alright for what it is but it's not full of depth. I suggest reading the Mass Effect Wiki's Storyline page while the game is installing if such things don't bore you.

Going to go Adept next on either Hardcore or Insanity (Insanity might be too hard for a brand new Adept, so dunno.) But I can't decide what bonus power to get. It's either Barrier, Warp Ammo or Energy Drain. I think I could run one of my squadmates for either Warp or Armor Piercing, so it's down to Energy Drain or Barrier. Tough decision, Barrier has saved my life a lot with my Vanguard, but I'll be a lot more passive as Adept, so dunno.

You can always change it later but barrier is quite helpful at the low levels. Not a big fan of energy drain and I tend to leave the ammo powers for squadmates, so if I were to suggest anything I would go with masterkajo and say reave.

Neki

Only problem with Reave is that if they're unexposed organics, I'd rather use a Throw/Pull on them to immediately eliminate them, instead of boosting my defenses. Shields aren't a problem early in the game and you're right, I could always switch.

Mindlog

Ultimoo said:
I always recommend stasis, for every class. Stasis only needs 1 point to be 100% effective. No other power comes close to that kind of efficiency.

My skill glitched Adept had a full barrier for a while.

Warp Ammo is a nice passive, but Adepts don't shoot much.

You can make a case for many different bonuses. Just play the adept accordingly :] ME2 letting you use Element 0 to swap out powers is a great feature.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
10 hours in... I just deleted my career. Why? Because I can't stand looking at that heavy weapon. Haha.

:/

Why can't you pick the weapons you want to use? They have a weapons locker, but you still can't do it. And yet you can customize every aspect of the armor. There are fish tanks! But I can't drop this fucking giant gun. It's head scratching. Their character design in Mass Effect is just phenomenal... extremely high quality stuff, but they always do something (stupidly simple) to mess it up.

Like in ME1 when adepts had to carry weapons they couldn't even use. That was dumb, and so is this.

edit: ahahaha that was quite the backfire. I just restarted my entire game to play as an adept and I'm still stuck with this fucking grenade launcher. fuck you bioware. It'd take a miracle for me to buy another one of these games.

Neki

Not sure why you'd deleted your career instead of starting a new one. Why not just make a new career without the deleting? Also, is the gun on the back annoying you that much? :p

X-Frame

Errr .. well there's several heavy weapons you can purchase throughout the game if you don't like the GL -- but yeah deleting a career over that makes sense ..

Wow. I didn't realize the heavy weapon could be so aggravating. They are pretty useful against some of the more powerful enemies. There are a few to choose from but they all mount on Shepard's back. I never really thought much of it.

Neki

Felix Lighter said:
Wow. I didn't realize the heavy weapon could be so aggravating. They are pretty useful against some of the more powerful enemies. There are a few to choose from but they all mount on Shepard's back. I never really thought much of it.
I personally just run the Arc Projector unless there is a lot of heavy armor in the mission, then I'll run Collector Beam.

kai3345

Banned
recklessmind said:
10 hours in... I just deleted my career. Why? Because I can't stand looking at that heavy weapon. Haha.

Why can't you pick the weapons you want to use? They have a weapons locker, but you still can't do it. And yet you can customize every aspect of the armor. There are fish tanks! But I can't drop this fucking giant gun. It's head scratching. Their character design in Mass Effect is just phenomenal... extremely high quality stuff, but they always do something (stupidly simple) to mess it up.

Like in ME1 when adepts had to carry weapons they couldn't even use. That was dumb, and so is this.

edit: ahahaha that was quite the backfire. I just restarted my entire game to play as an adept and I'm still stuck with this fucking grenade launcher. fuck you bioware. It'd take a miracle for me to buy another one of these games.
really? You deleted a 10 hour save, created a new character and now you youre saying you arent going to buy the next entry in one of the best games of the generation because of a fucking grenade launcher?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
kai3345 said:
really? You deleted a 10 hour save, created a new character and now you youre saying you arent going to buy the next entry in one of the best games of the generation because of a fucking grenade launcher?

Yep. Though "one of the best games of the generation" makes me laugh. Mass Effect does some things really well, but it's a hallway shooter that cut back even more on the RPG elements since ME1 and 8 of my 10 hrs in ME2 felt like the game was on autopilot.

Not to mention the serious bugs I've experienced during that relatively short period of time.

It's not particularly fun as a shooter imo... what I've always loved about ME was primarily the aesthetics and production value. Nothing else is terribly compelling about the games. So if something is really distracting to me in that area, it's significant.

But whatever dude you don't have to agree... I really don't care and I wasn't asking you to. I spent about $70 on the game yesterday. I'll complain in a post or two in the OT if I feel like it. And I happen to, atm... but I'm pretty much done with that too, so no worries.

recklessmind said:

your going to want to use in a few spots, but ...

It should be possible to not have a heavy weapon for the PS3 version (PC360 there is a save editor / Coalesced editor to remove it). I haven't tried this but in theory it should work. First make sure you dont have any DLC that has a heavy weapon in it, that means no Cerberus network (arc projector), Terminus Pack (Blackstorm) because this adds it to your inventory. Now, on your new game don't pick up any heavy weapon or research any. This should work, give it a try :)

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
I deleted my career about an hour in because I screwed up my shepard and he looked like he was starving to death with weird cheek gaunt. I didn't want to look at his dumb face for 50+ hours and all of ME3. I swear he looked normal on the creation screen, but in game he looked like a retard.

So I'm just using vanilla, box cover Shepard now, tailored as an infiltrator, but no custom face.

kai3345

Banned
TeethMummy said:
I deleted my career about an hour in because I screwed up my shepard and he looked like he was starving to death with weird cheek gaunt. I didn't want to look at his dumb face for 50+ hours and all of ME3. I swear he looked normal on the creation screen, but in game he looked like a retard.

So I'm just using vanilla, box cover Shepard now, tailored as an infiltrator, but no custom face.
Good idea, usually anything but the default (especially for FemSheps) usually look like garbage.

Neki

kai3345 said:
Good idea, usually anything but the default (especially for FemSheps) usually look like garbage.
I stole some FemShep from one of the threads on here, besides her huge mouth, she didn't look bad, but I love blonde female shepard though. :p

Mr_Zombie

kai3345 said:

At least my Shepard doesn't look creepy when he's smiling >_>

But yeah, I dunno why BioWare doesn't allow the player to manipulate the camera freely during character creation. I had the same problem with ME1 - my female Shepard looked ok during CC, but an hour or so into the game I noticed how sickly thin she looked (not to mention, she had duck lips :/), but I didn't want to restart the game so I stayed with her for the next 30+ hours. Thankfully ME2 allowed me to change her face.

The same goes with Dragon Age. I couldn't make a decent character in the in-game character creator; things changed when I used DA Toolset (not to mention, there were many options not available in the in-game creator).

Arjen

recklessmind said:

Wow..

IoCaster

recklessmind said:

Holy crap this is hilarious. Bravo! *two thumbs up*

AAK

recklessmind said:

This post most definitely warrants a tag

masterkajo

MrTroubleMaker said:
your going to want to use in a few spots, but ...

It should be possible to not have a heavy weapon for the PS3 version (PC360 there is a save editor / Coalesced editor to remove it). I haven't tried this but in theory it should work. First make sure you dont have any DLC that has a heavy weapon in it, that means no Cerberus network (arc projector), Terminus Pack (Blackstorm) because this adds it to your inventory. Now, on your new game don't pick up any heavy weapon or research any. This should work, give it a try :)

Problem is at the very beginning you have to pick the grenade launcher for the story to continue. Miranda tells you to do so and otherwise the doors won't open. ARGH! Hope they make carring weapons totally optional in ME3. How cool would be a no weapon run?

Kurtofan

recklessmind said:

Are you for real?
You quit the game because you couldn't stand the *sight* of a gun!?
You do know that there are other heavy guns you can find later on, right?
Or even with some of the Cerberus Network DLC.

Deleting your character after 10 hours? by then you should have found at least 3-4 new heavy weapons and a flamethrower if you ran zaeed's loyalty quest from the cerberus network download, dumb if you ask me.
Ultimoo said:
I personally just run the Arc Projector unless there is a lot of heavy armor in the mission, then I'll run Collector Beam.
I find this weapon to be the best overall, explosives are good but on my insane run the beam has saved me a few times and is a great weapon to sweep over a pack of charging foes, it also looks cool so I like it.

Mr. Sam

The Collector Beam is indeed the shit. I always save it to get me out of sticky situations.

And yes, wow at deleting your save because of that.

masterkajo said:
Problem is at the very beginning you have to pick the grenade launcher for the story to continue. Miranda tells you to do so and otherwise the doors won't open. ARGH! Hope they make carring weapons totally optional in ME3. How cool would be a no weapon run?
Yeah, your right, I just tried it and the door stayed locked. :( If that didn't happen I'm sure it would have worked.

lol no weapons could be fun :p

protonion

10 hours in. I've recruited 4 characters and done some optional quests. What a game!
I liked but not loved past bioware games, but this is something else.
However the combat gameplay is decent at best. We need a bioware-naughty dog team up. ND would do the tech and level/set-piece design,bioware the rest. GOTF!

Plasma

Banned
recklessmind said:

Why don't you just change your heavy weapon into something smaller like the flamethrower :|

Katana_Strikes said:
What the shit?

Does the PS3 game not come with a proper manual? Cause mine didn't. Just some shitty generic pamphlet.

Fuck You EA!

I'm going to take a guess that it's been a while since you last bought a game.

Most of the big publishers have pretty much turned the manual into nothing more than an epilepsy warning. It sucks. I always used to love opening a new game and flipping through the manual.

Donos

Don't fear Insanity. For the highest level of difficulty it is rather easy compared to many other games highest difficulty imo. Played it with Infiltrator and only 2 or 3 places are really hard
Horizon mission and the abandoned reaper ship with husks
but it is more fun (except the shit in the spoiler. i almost throwed my mouse at the display at times)

Katana_Strikes said:
You'd think though with this being the first ME on PS3 they'd have put something in the box too.

It is a shame but I do remember someone linking to a pdf version of the ME Codex if you're looking for something to read offline.

Felix Lighter said:
It is a shame but I do remember someone linking to a pdf version of the ME Codex if your look for something to read offline.
I'd rather a nice coffee table book be released post Mass Effect 3 with everything in it.

Patryn

recklessmind said:

I've heard (and voiced) many complaints about ME2. This..... this is a new one.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
recklessmind said:
Yep. Though "one of the best games of the generation" makes me laugh. Mass Effect does some things really well, but it's a hallway shooter that cut back even more on the RPG elements since ME1 and 8 of my 10 hrs in ME2 felt like the game was on autopilot.

Not to mention the serious bugs I've experienced during that relatively short period of time.

It's not particularly fun as a shooter imo... what I've always loved about ME was primarily the aesthetics and production value. Nothing else is terribly compelling about the games. So if something is really distracting to me in that area, it's significant.

But whatever dude you don't have to agree... I really don't care and I wasn't asking you to. I spent about $70 on the game yesterday. I'll complain in a post or two in the OT if I feel like it. And I happen to, atm... but I'm pretty much done with that too, so no worries.
What a nut.

What is this talk about bugs and glitches? I'm 26 hours in, and I haven't seen one bug. I haven't had a freeze either. I'm playing the blu ray version.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
The loading times are a little long in the PS3 version but it's the same game I've come to love during the first 100+ hours I've spent with it. And it's very nice to be able to play this in the couch. I forgot how much I loved this game. Two playthroughs planned already.

This together with LittleBigPlanet 2 will keep me warm in january.

The stupid thing about the load times is they are artificially lengthened by the load screen videos, at least on the PC version. If you replace the load screen videos with something shorter, the load times were drastically reduced. I installed the game on my SSD and it takes 2-3 seconds when leaving the Normandy and what seems like milliseconds when using the elevator on the Normandy.

Neki

cjtiger300 said:
What is this talk about bugs and glitches? I'm 26 hours in, and I haven't seen one bug. I haven't had a freeze either. I'm playing the blu ray version.
I actually ran into some bugs surprisingly. One time during Mordin's mission in his clinic, I glitched myself onto the table, had to reset to get out of there. On Horizon when you bypassed one of the doors, if you got to close, you'd glitch on top of it. Pretty sad and hilarious at the same time. But besides that, it was good.

Patryn

In Mordin's recruitment mission, I managed to get myself:

- On top of one of the tables in the room opposite of the room he was in. I then get behind that table and became stuck

- On top of one of the bannister/walls on a staircase. Again, I was unable to get back down. I could walk practically off the screen, though.

This was the 360 version, though.

I understand not liking a dumb looking heavy weapon on your back, thats why I immediately replace grenade launcher with singularity gun or arc.

but there isnt a single heavy weapon you DO like the look of?

strange.

plus arc projector is sooo useful for an adept - as its anti shields

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
It's Mass Effect people. It's BioWare. If they didn't release a buggy mess of a game that's so awesome to play something would be wrong with the world.

I encountered so many bugs in ME1 + 2 that it's almost uncountable. I've had Mako go bouncy bouncy on me, I've fallen through floors and had disappearing characters and heads. A few bugs here and there are fine considering the circumstances.

I do love the Kaiden photo though regardless of what romance angle you've picked. Shows that BioWare wants to highlight one of the lesser characters.

bulovski

Neo Member
Got the PS3 version today. Having played the X360 version quite a bit I was looking forward to this one because I read about the upgraded engine and my PS3 is hooked up to a 42" plasma.

Honestly, if I didn't know how brilliant this game was I would be ranting lot more. The 30 minute install, and then the comic has to be downloaded??!! Why couldn't they put the comic on the disc?
And finally I got this really weird screen where most colours just blacked out and I seemed to be in TRON! Menus worked just fine.

29w8j2b.jpg

I'm about 3 hours in as a Vanguard and am kind of regretting that I can't use assault rifles. Can someone cheer me up and talk about they're good experiences with Vanguard?

The reason why things like the ME1 comic are downloaded is because EA want you to buy the game new instead of used, most if not all used copies will have their code used up so while you save a few quid you also miss out on a few parts of the game.

TSAGoodness said:
I'm about 3 hours in as a Vanguard and am kind of regretting that I can't use assault rifles. Can someone cheer me up and talk about they're good experiences with Vanguard?
The automatic AR is rather pants so don't feel bad about it, however the burst fire rifle is godly and you are missing out :(

Top Bottom