• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

EekTheKat

You know, this happens to me somewhat frequently on Gold and I always feel super guilty even though I somehow end up outscoring everybody else by the end

Dying early happens, you just have to make it up the next round. To be clear my issue is with the guys who die early and feel like they need to narrate the action on screen.

"atlas..there's an atlas"

Like I somehow missed the giant robot standing in front of me.

"use your rocket, USE YOUR ROCKET, ATLAS, ATLAS!!!!!!"

" Dude why the fuck didn't you revive me? ".

Idiot with mic completely ignores the 3 phantoms standing on top of his corpse that killed him in the first place.

I've finally started playing this again after quitting ME3 due to the ending. Enjoying the multiplayer a lot more than thought I would, and now I've decided to get my classes all up to 20, which kinda sucks right now because I'm leveling Soldier, which is boring with the stock characters.

Anyway, is there any place to look up builds for the characters? I've been kinda guessing up until now, but I'm finally feel good enough to play silver and gold occasionally (just got my first full extraction on gold yesterday with an engineer) and I want to have a good layout so I'm not the guy with a useless character.

Derrick01

Banned
Success! First gold match completed and I only died about 3 times the whole match! We set up a huge camp point in that crappy Noveria map and just picked them off for most of the match.

Derrick01

Banned
Yeah that noveria map is awful, way too small. Though I guess I'll learn to love it if the rest of the gold groups go for that same point.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Yeah that noveria map is awful, way too small. Though I guess I'll learn to love it if the rest of the gold groups go for that same point.

Yeah, you'll learn that people love this map on Gold since its easy to camp down there and never move unless its an objective wave, only seem to work with Geths though.

I had a nice gold Cerberus game with Dream and Jtrig. I'm surprised i survived that 10th wave with 3 Phantoms surrounding me. :lol Love Biotic Charge for 100% Shield.

Mindlog

Randomly played a game with One Winged Angel. Dude is good. Proper use of Krysae + Proximity Mine on a GI.

Completely random group with no communication and we finished in 16:04 >_< So close to 15.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Collectors pls.

I've discussed it before, but there's almost an entire squad worth of Collector units already established in the universe.

- Drone: Generic, assault rifle canon fodder.
- Assassin: Beam rifle and barriers.
- Guardian: Can deploy shields, usable by other troops.
- Praetorian: Super enemy skull spider of doom.
- Harbinger/General: Super 'unit' that possess any existing Collector unit for a buff.
- If the need be, Scions: Reaper unit used by Collectors. Massive cannon. More doom.
- Also Abominations, the proxy bomb husks, since ME3 doesn't use them.
- Maybe something interesting with seeker swarms.

That's eight different enemy types, offering quite a difference from the existing factions. Geth only have five units, plus two if you count drones and turrets. Reapers have six, plus one for Ravager Swarmers. Cerberus have seven, plus one for engineer turrets.

They could comfortably reuse ME2 assets for the Collectors. They'd need to spend some time rebalancing everything for multiplayer, but asset reuse would save time. And though it doesn't really fit into canon, I doubt people would mind for the sake of having a new enemy to fight.

Plus I think, given the above unit descriptions, the Collectors would offer a different fight style to what we have. Random Harbinger/General possession buff would offer a different dynamic to the usual super unit spawns.

Omega mercenary squads (mix of the 3) with Aria as a wave 10 boss instead of a bunch of heavy enemies.

This would be really cool as well, especially since it would allow for for battles against the playable races. Charging Krogan and regenerating Vorcha should be enemies too.

None of it makes sense canonically but at this point I don't care. For all the shit BioWare screwed up with Mass Effect 3, I honestly feel the multiplayer has been handled better than a lot of better developers handle their own multiplayer. It's unbalanced as all hell, but it has a lot of fun maps, good combat, tons of weapons and goodies, and a great selection of playable characters. And though the unlock system leaves much to be desired, I don't think it's a bad price to pay for free expansion packs that better the experience.

It's a really fun multiplayer. BioWare should release the damn thing as a F2P client and get more people on board. It's in their best interest and the players.

exYle

Noveria is actually a fairly spacious map (Glacier is way smaller). It may feel small because of the narrow hallways, but this creates very useful choke points.

exYle

I've discussed it before, but there's almost an entire squad worth of Collector units already established in the universe.

- Drone: Generic, assault rifle canon fodder.
- Assassin: Beam rifle and barriers.
- Guardian: Can deploy shields, usable by other troops.
- Praetorian: Super enemy skull spider of doom.
- Harbinger/General: Super 'unit' that possess any existing Collector unit for a buff.
- If the need be, Scions: Reaper unit used by Collectors. Massive cannon. More doom.
- Also Abominations, the proxy bomb husks, since ME3 doesn't use them.
- Maybe something interesting with seeker swarms.

That's eight different enemy types, offering quite a difference from the existing factions. Geth only have five units, plus two if you count drones and turrets. Reapers have six, plus one for Ravager Swarmers. Cerberus have seven, plus one for engineer turrets.

They could comfortably reuse ME2 assets for the Collectors. They'd need to spend some time rebalancing everything for multiplayer, but asset reuse would save time. And though it doesn't really fit into canon, I doubt people would mind for the sake of having a new enemy to fight.

Plus I think, given the above unit descriptions, the Collectors would offer a different fight style to what we have. Random Harbinger/General possession buff would offer a different dynamic to the usual super unit spawns.

I strongly agree with this, with a few changes:
The Praetorians have to be the boss unit. I mean, you only fought 2/3 of them in ME2 for a reason - they were absolutely deadly and terrifying.
Harbinger should be the Phantom like enemy - I don't think he should randomly appear but he should spawn with the rest of the troops. Faster and stronger than the rest with an audio cue for their presence, just like a Phantom. Maybe give them an execution, too.
Drone, Assasin and Guardian fit well into the Shock Trooper/Sniper/Squad leader hierarchy that Cerberus has and Reapers/Geth have two-thirds of, but the Guardian will definitely have to be renamed.
The Scion, I think, is a must because of it's cover-buster nature. On the flip side, I think Abominations are entirely unnecessary.

...man I just got excited for this theoretical DLC.

Derrick01

Banned
This would be really cool as well, especially since it would allow for for battles against the playable races. Charging Krogan and regenerating Vorcha should be enemies too.

None of it makes sense canonically but at this point I don't care. For all the shit BioWare screwed up with Mass Effect 3, I honestly feel the multiplayer has been handled better than a lot of better developers handle their own multiplayer.

Yeah I can't think of a worse thing then for them to keep designing this stuff around the established ME3 storyline. Who gives a shit if they threw in Admiral Hackett as a final boss in a map battling Alliance troops? Or created actual new classes other than the ones that have been in every ME game? This isn't exactly Chromehounds here where you actually fight towards something. Go nuts.

Derrick01

Banned
These servers blow so bad. Just played a match where I was glitched and couldn't refill ammo, even with the ammo pack item. I played my first match with my salarian engineer and used a really nice SMG that was mowing fools down on bronze with no recoil almost and then by wave 4 I was out of ammo on both that and my pistol. I still finished 2nd despite not being able to use anything but powers lol

Bisnic

These servers blow so bad. Just played a match where I was glitched and couldn't refill ammo, even with the ammo pack item. I played my first match with my salarian engineer and used a really nice SMG that was mowing fools down on bronze with no recoil almost and then by wave 4 I was out of ammo on both that and my pistol. I still finished 2nd despite not being able to use anything but powers lol

I think it happened to me once in the hundreds of games i did, its a very rare glitch thankfully.

But wait until you see the "Died while using Biotic Charge as a Vanguard" glitch, you'll see stuff like that :

F1Frp.jpg

Don't ask me how high that was, i couldnt even see what was below me. I heard it helps if you play as the host to avoid such glitch though.

Worst part is that they said they fixed that in the last patch notes. Yeah right. Just like how they "fixed" the SMG ultra-light materials am i right?

Derrick01

Banned
I think it happened to me once in the hundreds of games i did, its a very rare glitch thankfully.

That was the first of its kind I ran into but I run into others more frequently, like objects and objectives appearing on my screen but the actual physical objects don't appear so I can't click to access them. I also frequently run into games where my biotics won't work on enemies all of the time, though I guess that could just be a laggy game.

PBalfredo

I agree that Collectors would be a good addition to the multiplayer. I don't think it would be a stretch lore-wise to say not all of the Collector ships were at the base when Shepard blew it up, so some are still around to help the Reapers harass the Alliance.

And they really should add Collectors because new enemy fractions is the one avenue multiplayer has not expanded on yet. And so far only Banshees and Phantoms use barriers.

Sai

Reegar X GET! That wraps up all of the Rare weapons, until the DLC hits next week.

I was playing GGW with a Quarian Male Engineer a minute ago, rest of the team dropped out about mid-way, and we handled the rest the match by ourselves, full extraction. Both had Krysae X, dealt with all the incoming Geth with minimal difficulty. Only time we died was during a package retrieval objective... Felt good, man.

Oh, and I unlocked a Paladin... Hard to care with the Carnifex X though. >.>

Bisnic

That was the first of its kind I ran into but I run into others more frequently, like objects and objectives appearing on my screen but the actual physical objects don't appear so I can't click to access them. I also frequently run into games where my biotics won't work on enemies all of the time, though I guess that could just be a laggy game.

Yeah laggy games tend to have weird issues, more than just lag that is. Like, i can't even use ladders for example. Funny thing is, it first happened when i unlocked my first Krogan, and i thought at the time that Krogans weren't able to climb ladders, like some races can't dodge.

DreamMessiah

Neo Member
I agree that Collectors would be a good addition to the multiplayer. I don't think it would be a stretch lore-wise to say not all of the Collector ships were at the base when Shepard blew it up, so some are still around to help the Reapers harass the Alliance.

Even if they were completely destroyed they can be rebuild again. I'm sure the reapers have some DNA backup.

But they will be upgraded, that's for sure. They already failed them once

Derrick01

Banned
I think I like this Salarian Engineer with the locust smg. Granted it was a bronze game but at level 8 I beat out a level 20 krogan soldier for 1st. I like being able to alternate between incinerate and energy drain.

exYle

I think I like this Salarian Engineer with the locust smg. Granted it was a bronze game but at level 8 I beat out a level 20 krogan soldier for 1st. I like being able to alternate between incinerate and energy drain.

If it's not too late, spec Incinerate for radius, and then hit the enemies on fire with Energy Drain. You'll thank me later

Bisnic

Did they fix the Krogan Vanguard Glitch yet?

You mean the broken Rage? Not that i know... but you could just use the maxed health & shield bonus instead. 1850/1850 is a lot for Gold! Then you have something like 40% damage reduction from Barrier... which means the only thing you need to worry about are one-hit kills abilities.

I always found that Carnage was a shitty skill, so it wasnt a hard decision to max everything else.

Derrick01

Banned
If it's not too late, spec Incinerate for radius, and then hit the enemies on fire with Energy Drain. You'll thank me later

Yeah I specced both for radius right after that match. I figure I can get the later damage boost on one of them at rank 6 since the other option isn't that great.

exYle

Does it last long enough on Gold?

The time leaves a bit to be desired, but the cooldown for Decoy is short enough that it doesn't hurt just to reset your decoy every now and then.

Speccing an Salarian Engineer is really a toss-up between points in Decoy and points in Fitness. Incinerate, Energy Drain and the Salarian racial are so crucial to your success.

Last night I played about 3.5 hrs (more than usual). I netted 1.05 million credits to add to my bank though :) my goal is to get 2-3 million more before the dlc.

darkworkz

platinum is hard as hell! I suggest bringing your best class and start learning from there. The new powers will take some play time. Dont rush it. BW has done it again!

San Diego comic con quick report. Back to the show!

Sai

:eek:

Is there a list of differences between Gold and Platinum out there yet?

Giving the Cerberus Assault Troopers/Geth Troopers/Cannibals shields or barriers, and spawning Shield Pylons/Barrier Engines alongside 'em would be a nice start, I think. lol

Bisnic

:eek:

Is there a list of differences between Gold and Platinum out there yet?

Giving the Cerberus Assault Troopers/Geth Troopers/Cannibals shields or barriers would be a nice start, I think. lol

You know they're just gonna greatly buff their damage and health/armor/shield/barrier right? I wouldn't expect anything else. Not even adding shields to regular troops.

Sai

You know they're just gonna greatly buff their damage and health/armor/shield/barrier right? I wouldn't expect anything else.
You're probably right. It'd be nice if they get a little creative and use more of the single player assets to toughen things up though.

Bisnic

You're probably right. It'd be nice if they get a little creative and use more of the single player assets to toughen things up though.

25% chance of summoning Kai Leng out of nowhere during the last waves.

Bisnic

Particle Rifle III already.... Not sure i like the weapon since you have to be out of cover for so long before it does any damage... maybe its a different story at X.

STILL NO HARRIER. :mad:

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Particle Rifle III already.... Not sure i like the weapon since you have to be out of cover for so long before it does any damage... maybe its a different story at X.

STILL NO HARRIER. :mad:

It looks cool. :|

Sai

Krogan Vanguard is invincible, practically solo'd with it on Glacier/Geth/Gold.

My teammates were dying left 'n right, all but one of them eventually just quit, and I had to babysit him 'til Wave 11... He was an N7/Lv19 Human Soldier. >_>

Nori Chan

My teammates were dying left 'n right, all but one of them eventually just quit, and I had to babysit him 'til Wave 11... He was an N7/Lv19 Human Soldier. >_>

LOL I usually leave if they're lower than 120 hahah

Ikkarus

I never really gave the Krogan Vanguard a fair chance when I unlocked him. What is the best way to spec it? I keep hearing great things so I'm wanting to try him out!

rozay

Banned
via BSN (could be fake, but it sounds like what I'd expect):
Of the new classes, I played Infiltrator and Soldier.

Infiltrator's melee is pretty nice, with the sword and all.

Soldier is big and slow. He has no dodge moves to speak of, only the Geth/Quarian side hop thing. His heavy melee is reminiscent of the Cerb Trooper's curb stomp, except it creates a kind of shockwave when his foot hits the ground.

For Shadow Strike, you disappear and reappear behind your target and do a sword slash.

Never got to use Devastator Mode, as someone prior to me had inverted the y-axis. I wasn't used to it and kept on dying.

Multi-frag grenades are wrist-mounted like Ballistic Blades but with a cap like regular grenades.

Missile Launcher is a shoulder-mounted launcher. I didn't like it too much.

Platinum is all 3 factions together. Shit is going to be crazy fun.

Also, the new rare mods are coming with the DLC. Omni blades for assault rifles!

Top Bottom