• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

rozay

Banned
I probably sound like a debbie downer, but the video of the new soldier with the LMG makes me sad because we now have mini thermal clips ejecting from the gun like machine gun bullet casings while firing. I miss the original mass effect aesthetics.

Also, I was kind of expecting this to be the case but omni blades on guns look retarded

Sai

Thanks again, Xevren.

Unlocked the last of my characters' appearance options! Now I only have the Gear left... Not looking foward to seeing a bunch of the new IV ammo/armor power consumables instead. lol

All I have left of the Uncommon Gear is the Sniper Rifle Amp and Shotgun Amp, which are at III and IV respectively. Of the Rare Gear... Grenade Capacity, Expert, and Operative Packages are at II. Warfighter and Berserker Packages are at III.

Would be great if I could max 'em all out this weekend. But this game is rarely so kind.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Depends on the map I'd guess... a map like Glacier is perfect for the Hurricane. The ammunition and choke points have to be the biggest factor *shrug*

Its preference though. I JUST got my Harrier. Shit makes the Particle Rifle look like a dartgun.

I have the Hurricane at around 3 or 4 and Harrier is at 1, and with my Geth Infiltrator with Cloak & Prox. Mine, I just watch the enemy bars disappear like nothing - I did try the Hurricane after the buffs and I did like it a lot to the point that I kept it on the Salarian Infiltrator, but after I unlocked the Harrier, it was so good that I dropped my Claymore permanently from my GI - I might go back though for Platinum difficulty.

I'll give the Hurricane a go on the GI tomorrow.

Mindlog

I'll give the Hurricane a go on the GI tomorrow.
On my GI I like the Scorpion + Hurricane. Scorpion smashes groups and the Hurricane wrecks boss characters.

Harrier is just all kinds of great. It's fun to use and actually has decent performance on Gold.

I got in a Gold Reapers run trying out my QMI with AP Ammo IV and Harrier V. Ravagers and Brutes go down in less than one clip. Banshees go down incredibly fast as well.

I hope they never do these events on Platinum. This challenge was kind of easy because Gold is just too easy now. However, I can't imagine trying to complete a Platinum challenge with an average random pub team.

I actually got my first Reaper Gold extraction last night with an Asari Adept/Drell Adept/2 Phoenixes and I found out that Reapers are nowhere near as annoying as Geth on Gold. None of us had mics and luckily there was only one round where people got hugged by a Banshee. People weren't kidding when they said an all biotic team can demolish Reapers.

Fun experience, but I think I'll still stick with Bronze and Silver.

13 seconds left on the clock: the Xbox freezes. Wasted a shitton of rockets to get my credits, too.

Le fuuuuuuuuu

Back to singleplayer I go.

nel e nel

What is that red overlay I'm seeing on the Rio video, and what does it do? I only saw that extra mini-map or whatever on the bottom right corner.

ScrubJay

6 reaper gold extractions last night. half with randoms. I'm gonna be mad if I have to contact EA to get my commendation pack agains.

Gui_PT

Got teamed up with a moron. We're all dead but him.

He's been fighting a Ravager and a Brute for at least 10 minutes...

Edit: This is making me so angry, I want to cry :lol

Nori Chan

That was actually my first time I ever got disconnected by an EA Server that time.

MY CHERRY HAS BEEN POPPED THANKS EA

it was so bad that i got cut off of xbox live too wtf

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
We're still in here.

Hop on this lobby.

Motherfuckers are trying to play Gold with predators and shit

Cat Party

I tried 4 or 5 times last night for gold extract against reapers. Made it to wave 10 twice, but never even completed the objectives. Fuck it. Not gonna mess with this. It's making me hate the game to have to deal with 10 banshees per wave towards the end. I guess I won't get my Eagle V.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I guess i should be glad that i won Gold Reaper the first try huh? With only 3 people left for the last 3-4 waves on top of that. With no mic or anything. Yes, i should be glad. :lol

<3 Asari Justicar with a defensive build.

DY_nasty

right
between
the tits

nori
I guess i should be glad that i won Gold Reaper the first try huh? With only 3 people left for the last 3-4 waves on top of that. With no mic or anything. Yes, i should be glad. :lol

<3 Asari Justicar with a defensive build.

i might hop on later tonight. had some good games, but the challenge is really bringing in the people who have no business playing on gold yet.

Protip: When playing with Engineer class, use your turret.

Nori Chan

RIGHT BETWEEN THE TITS

right
between
the tits

nori

i might hop on later tonight. had some good games, but the challenge is really bringing in the people who have no business playing on gold yet.

Protip: When playing with Engineer class, use your turret.

when using a class with grenades

use grenades

Replicant

Yesssss!!! Got extraction with 3 random members alive on Reaper Gold on my 1st try. We could have got full extraction if one of our members wasn't ambushed and KO'd by a Banshee.

Xevren

Overall I had a pretty good day on gold, every now and then we'd get someone terrible using crap. So I'm pretty happy. Still get really bad issues with the servers though and I have no idea why, I just get dropped sometimes. Really annoying.

Sai

Just maxed out all my Gear, except for the Sniper Rifle Amp... Which is STILL at III!

It was the last Uncommon Gear I unlocked, and now it's the last one I'm levelin' up. I think this game knows I'm onto something with my Krysae wieldin' Geth Infiltrator, and is trying it's best to prevent me to getting the absolute best damage output. :p

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I made a post over on the BSN.

I've been thinking about this a lot, because I feel it's the one big area of the multiplayer that needs expanding. You guys have done a pretty stand out job of giving us several new maps, new unique classes to play, new equipment and weapons for greater customisation, additional 'objectives' for round variety, and now a new super difficulty for masochists among us. The multiplayer has come a long way, and the level of support has been admirable to say in the least.

However, if I had to express one gripe with the mode's current state, it would be the dire need for a new faction to fight. I feel this is an area of that game that needs improving now more than ever, largely due to the above: numerous other areas of the mode have been expanded quite thoroughlly. I do love fighting Geth, Cerberus and Reapers, each offering a unique challenge, but it would nice to get a new faction or two into the mix.

Thus I propose two: Collectors and Mercs. Canon? To hell with it. Fun is a priority, and both of these groups would mad sick to battle. I'll briefly explain why I feel this way.

I've been thinking about this a lot, because I feel it's the one big area of the multiplayer that needs expanding. You guys have done a pretty stand out job of giving us several new maps, new unique classes to play, new equipment and weapons for greater customisation, additional 'objectives' for round variety, and now a new super difficulty for masochists among us. The multiplayer has come a long way, and the level of support has been admirable to say in the least.

However, if I had to express one gripe with the mode's current state, it would be the dire need for a new faction to fight. I feel this is an area of that game that needs improving now more than ever, largely due to the above: numerous other areas of the mode have been expanded quite thoroughlly. I do love fighting Geth, Cerberus and Reapers, each offering a unique challenge, but it would nice to get a new faction or two into the mix.

Collectors: As it is, not many enemy units in ME3's multiplayer use barriers, and the Collectors are barrier heavy. Secondly, the units as they appeared in Mass Effect 2 were equipped with abilities that none of the existing factions have. Thridly, you guys have enough Collector units to already make up an entire faction!

- Drone: Generic grunt/cannon fodder. Armed with a Collector assult rifle.
- Assassin: Ranged unit armed with a Collector particle beam. Different from snipers in that the particle beam can lay down a stream of fire. Can cast Barrier.
- Guardian: Assault rifle enhanced with warp ammo. Can lay down shields usable by other units. Can cast Barrier.
- Harbinger/General: Power unit that takes 'control' of any of the above units, giving them heavy buffs to damage, knockback, health, etc. Different from usual power units in that they don't appear at spawns, instead able to enhance a unit already in battle.
- Scion: Heavy cannon unit. Similar to Ravagers, minus the swarmers.
- Praetorian: Toughest of them all. Boss style unit. Takes a lot of damage, hovers, beam attack, slam attack, etc.
- Something with seeker swarms maybe?

Obviously a lot of re-tweaking and balancing would need to be done in order to get the above working. Praetorians probably couldn't work exactly as they do in ME2. But still, the selection of Collector units is quite unique. Assassin's pinning down squads over range with energy beams, Guardians deploying shields, and Harbinger/General buffing any unit already in battle offers gameplay different to what Cerberus, Geth and Reaper factions give.

Yeah they don't really fit at this point in the canon, but eh. They'd be much fun to fight, and be both visually and mechanically distinct from the other factions.

The other option I'd love to see is Mercs, not unlike a miss matched mangle of Blue Suns, Eclipse and Blood Pack. While I haven't given much thought to unique units, what I feel Mercs could offer is a more toe-to-toe style battle than the existing factions. What I mean is, enemies equipped with abilities and powers not unlike what we are able to play as. It would be fun to fight biotic spewing Asari, blood raging Krogan, and regenerating Vorcha. Just say they're all indoctrinated or something :p.

So there's that. Wanted to get it off my chest on the forums, see what other people think, and maybe give BioWare some ideas for how to further improve the already wonderful multiplayer. Collectors and Mercs would be great factions to fight, in my opinion, even if they weren't exactly like I detailed above.

The only other thing I have to say is (and I know this will go against popular opinion), you guys should consider making the multiplayer F2P. Release the multiplayer client stand-alone, with all the free updates (and future free updates), with the same economy system. I say this because, in all honesty, there's no real reason not to do it. Multiplayer games thrive off people actually playing them. The bigger your market and audiance, the longer the multiplayer's life. And the most popular and busy the multiplayer is, the more inclined you guys and gals will be to continue supporting it. As it is, the multiplayer has an entry fee. Not just the price of the game, but the fact most people buying Mass Effect 3 are doing so primarily for the single player. Releasing a F2P client eliminates this gate keeper, and lets people who just want to play the multiplayer do so. It gives us more people to play with, you guys more money via the micro transactions, and greater incentive to continue supporting the mode.

Okay, that's it, I'm done. Now not to post for another four - six months :p.

Now to await my cheque in the mail.

I made a post over on the BSN.

*SNIP*

Now to await my cheque in the mail.

The Collectors are definitely a faction Bioware should consider adding to the multiplayer aspect. Regarding the seeker swarms, it would be neat if they could implement them as an environmental hazard rather than an enemy to differentiate them from swarmers: At random intervals/waves Collectors would deploy the swarms, rendering some areas of the map a danger to players. Maybe the swarms could move over the course of the wave with swarm area and density adjusted with difficulty or an extra mission where the swarm covers the entire map and the team must defend and move from barrier engine to barrier engine (although that seems like a repeat of the upload mission).

As for the mercs it would be interesting fighting against Krogan, Salarian, etc. but I don't know if there's enough to set them apart from the other factions. I get the feeling that what we saw of the mercs in ME2 has been smashed together to form the Cerberus faction. Of course, having an enemy use biotics like the players or a ME1-regenerating Krogan would be nice. They could use LOKI and FENRIS mechs (the YMIR is too similar to the Atlas, I think) and have a Gunship as a boss unit on certain maps. In any case, let's hope Bioware can at least add Collectors.

Anyway, if someone wants to try the challenge (or any future ones) or just play some rounds, Origin ID is the same as GAF username.

Mindlog

They should just bring back the Pinnacle Station concept. Set up a training facility for new N7 operatives that allows them to go back over any scenario. Imagine playing as a C-Sec squad during ME1's final battle and seeing it from a different perspective.

Samara

I'm pretty certain they will add the Collectors as an ennemy. dat Harbinger drone and the zombies. And whatever that giant seashell zombie was.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
On my GI I like the Scorpion + Hurricane. Scorpion smashes groups and the Hurricane wrecks boss characters.

Harrier is just all kinds of great. It's fun to use and actually has decent performance on Gold.

I got in a Gold Reapers run trying out my QMI with AP Ammo IV and Harrier V. Ravagers and Brutes go down in less than one clip. Banshees go down incredibly fast as well.

I hope they never do these events on Platinum. This challenge was kind of easy because Gold is just too easy now. However, I can't imagine trying to complete a Platinum challenge with an average random pub team.

Tried it just now with the GI with the Hurricane, and it really kicks a ton while not in cover so it's not too practical for my play style, which is taking out crowds at a good distance - but I love that combined they are still half the weight of the Harrier, but the Harrier is still outclassing it by a mile for me.

Xevren

They should just bring back the Pinnacle Station concept. Set up a training facility for new N7 operatives that allows them to go back over any scenario. Imagine playing as a C-Sec squad during ME1's final battle and seeing it from a different perspective.

That would be really awesome, could add a bunch of different battles too.

DY_nasty

Tried it just now with the GI with the Hurricane, and it really kicks a ton while not in cover so it's not too practical for my play style, which is taking out crowds at a good distance - but I love that combined they are still half the weight of the Harrier, but the Harrier is still outclassing it by a mile for me.

As much as I love the Hurricane, there's no going back after you get the Harrier.

Reave + Warp Ammo III kills Gold Brutes with less that a full clip.

Mindlog

Oh yeah I should have added that I primarily use that build on Glacier. The Hurricane is to kill heavies and Guardians. Vertical kick is easy to manage against tall bosses. Scorpion kills everything else.

Also, I haven't used that build since my Harrier and Grenade Capacity got to V. My QMI and Batarian Soldier are too much fun.
Reave + Warp Ammo III kills Gold Brutes with less that a full clip.
I like Tactical Scan + AP Ammo.

X-Frame

Oh man, I haven't played the MP in like a month and came back to see the new DLC holy shit this is the DLC I've been waiting for.

I am back 100% now.

Have I missed anything? Any warnings or glitches I should know about?

DY_nasty

Oh yeah I should have added that I primarily use that build on Glacier. The Hurricane is to kill heavies and Guardians. Vertical kick is easy to manage against tall bosses. Scorpion kills everything else.

Also, I haven't used that build since my Harrier and Grenade Capacity got to V. My QMI and Batarian Soldier are too much fun.

I like Tactical Scan + AP Ammo.

Here's the thing I noticed about my Justicar yesterday.

6/6/0/6/6
Bubble - Radius, Damage Increase, Warp Effect
Reave - Radius, Damage Reduction, Damage and Duration
Pull - lol
Asari Justicar - Duraction and Capacity, Headshot, Weapon Damage
Fitness - Durability, Shield Recharge, Fitness Expert

Harrier on I lolz, Extended Barrell and Extended Clip

Adrenaline Mod III for movement and AR Amp IV

The damage reduction is 40%. The extra damage to Barriers is pointless as a Harrier Clip will strip the shields off of anything. Especially a Reave'd enemy (people keep forgetting that Warp Ammo is for hitting enemies affected by biotics). And you strafe fast as hell - it works on Gold. I was standing up to shit when I had no business being out of cover. Ask Nori, after I switched to the Harrier I don't think I dropped below 90k once in our gold runs yesterday.

Top Bottom