• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

I unlocked the N7 Shadow the other day. Such a fun class to play but it sucks that I cant solo with it. I have no problems soloing with my Male Quarian Infiltrator, but the Shadow just cant do some of the objectives.

exYle

Or skip energy drain and max out the superior proximity mines. I personally prefer shotguns to snipers but both work fine. Cloak, mine, shoot, repeat. I prefer NOT to have bonus power when cloaked as the cooldown will get misplaced easily.

This post doesn't make sense. If you prefer shotguns and at the same time DON'T recommend the Bonus Power, that means your Tactical Cloak rank 6 is specced for extra Sniper damage.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I unlocked the N7 Shadow the other day. Such a fun class to play but it sucks that I cant solo with it. I have no problems soloing with my Male Quarian Infiltrator, but the Shadow just cant do some of the objectives.
Solo Shadow is all about the pace you set for yourself. Shadow Strike is essentially a tech version of Charge so be sure to spec it accordingly. Be sure to always be mindful of the distance between you and your enemies. Its critical that you prioritize targets too - shielded enemies are walking health packs for you so be mindful of that when spamming electric slash. You may need them as health - or as "ejection seats" since you don't even need a clear line of sight to teleport to them and out of a firefight. I typically spec the 40% damage reduction too.

Another thing is incendiary rounds. Flaming, nearly dead enemies + electric slash is a fire explosion. Be sure to take advantage when setting up your lanes and choke points.

Xevren

This post doesn't make sense. If you prefer shotguns and at the same time DON'T recommend the Bonus Power, that means your Tactical Cloak rank 6 is specced for extra Sniper damage.

I always play shotgun infils, I don't see the point in putting anything after the 4th talent in damage.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I always play shotgun infils, I don't see the point in putting anything after the 4th talent in damage.

I like having the power to use 2 attacks before losing cloak, gives me plenty of time to carefully aim with my claymore after i use Proximity Mine, especially if the enemy stagger after it explode.

rozay

Banned
I think you just spend those 6 points elsewhere ;)

Energy drain is far more useful than proxy mines if you play with snipers because none of them bypass the shield gate. With shotguns like the claymore, proxy mines become your go-to cloak power, but you should just use the geth infiltrator for that. I don't really see the point in 2 identically specced classes so my SI maxed energy drain.

Mindlog

I haven't used my SI in ages. Back then proxy mine sucked and my favorite weapon was a Widow X.

If I were to set him up now I would definitely take proxy mine. If sniper rifles ever get buffed I would skip fitness. Otherwise I'm skipping the last two cloak evolutions and throwing those points into fitness. Only taking proxy mine sounds like a crappy Geth Infiltrator. Then again an SI is basically trading hunter mode for energy drain...

Found out what I am missing in my manifest.
11 uncommon gear
20 rare gear
33 ultra rares

The Typhoon alone accounts for nearly 1/3 of my missing URs.
Going to be miffed when they nerf the Piranha.

Cat Party

Ok so how am I supposed to use the Paladin? I've tried a few matches with him and I feel like he's either not on the level of the other N7 characters or I'm not using him right.

The melee is great on the character. Very fast and it has an elemental effect. Other than that, he's (is it a she?) a support character, casting ED on shields and snap freeze/incinerate on armor/unprotected enemies so the team can knock them out. I have occasionally made use of the shield in protecting during an objective round/extraction. So far, it's a pretty limited use character for me. Fun on bronze and silver, underpowered on gold.

I'm waiting for someone to figure THE build/play style with this character. I've been trying to see if I could create solo fire/cryo explosions by using the shield melee to finish off a frozen enemy, but I've not had luck. Seems like it should be possible.

DY_nasty

The melee is great on the character. Very fast and it has an elemental effect. Other than that, he's (is it a she?) a support character, casting ED on shields and snap freeze/incinerate on armor/unprotected enemies so the team can knock them out. I have occasionally made use of the shield in protecting during an objective round/extraction. So far, it's a pretty limited use character for me. Fun on bronze and silver, underpowered on gold.

I'm waiting for someone to figure THE build/play style with this character. I've been trying to see if I could create solo fire/cryo explosions by using the shield melee to finish off a frozen enemy, but I've not had luck. Seems like it should be possible.

I've made it work on Gold. The thing is you have to be host to get the ED 40% damage reduction and not have teammates that like to stand too close to you as you play decoy. The invulnerability from the heavy melee begins a little before the animation ends. Its important to note that elevation and splash damage can fuck you up as you're behind the shield. Certain attacks destroy the shield instantly - and certain attacks will destroy it instantly but still allow you to not take damage. The heavy melee drop does damage and pushes enemies back as well. If you do it in a crowded area, it has a drone like effect and enemies WILL drop what they're doing and prioritize you. You can do a lot of shit out of the drop that I don't think people realize as possible > roll straight to cover, use powers, roll and normal melee... there's a lot of ways to get out of the fire. I don't think putting the point into shield durability is worth it either. When the shield breaks, you just drop it again. And normal shield regen is a big deal in its own right. Not a fan of the cryo shield anymore either. Even though the armor weakening 50% sounds nice, its just not worth it over the fire effect.

Always spec snap freeze for tech combos. Melee + snap is an explosion waiting to happen. But its melee > snap. NOT snap melee. You gotta work a bit harder :/

Not a fan of incinerate at all tbh, but if you want to you can take the last 6 points off paladin training and use it there.

Stantron

When holding the heavy melee shield as the Paladin, you can tap back + melee at the same time to cancel the shield in case you don't want to roll, use a power, etc.

Cat Party

I've made it work on Gold. The thing is you have to be host to get the ED 40% damage reduction and not have teammates that like to stand too close to you as you play decoy. The invulnerability from the heavy melee begins a little before the animation ends. Its important to note that elevation and splash damage can fuck you up as you're behind the shield. Certain attacks destroy the shield instantly - and certain attacks will destroy it instantly but still allow you to not take damage. The heavy melee drop does damage and pushes enemies back as well. If you do it in a crowded area, it has a drone like effect and enemies WILL drop what they're doing and prioritize you. You can do a lot of shit out of the drop that I don't think people realize as possible > roll straight to cover, use powers, roll and normal melee... there's a lot of ways to get out of the fire. I don't think putting the point into shield durability is worth it either. When the shield breaks, you just drop it again. And normal shield regen is a big deal in its own right. Not a fan of the cryo shield anymore either. Even though the armor weakening 50% sounds nice, its just not worth it over the fire effect.

Always spec snap freeze for tech combos. Melee + snap is an explosion waiting to happen. But its melee > snap. NOT snap melee. You gotta work a bit harder :/

Not a fan of incinerate at all tbh, but if you want to you can take the last 6 points off paladin training and use it there.

Have you had any success with setting off fire explosions that way? Snap Freeze doesn't really do much damage, so it seems hard to kill someone with it after the melee. I'll keep trying.

Mindlog

Yeah, a couple of days ago I played with a Paladin that was working Cerberus/Glacier/Gold with me. I should have payed closer attention to his build, but Paladins are definitely Gold viable. He was probably using a Snap Freeze/Piranha combo. While the other two players weren't bad we basically two manned 15m runs.

Reposting: My current Platinum Geth Piranha robot.
Tactical Cloak 4 - (Damage)
Hunter Mode 6 - (Weapon Accuracy, Rate of Fire, Damage)
Proximity Mine 6 - (Radius, Damage Taken, Damage)
Networked AI 6 - (Weapon Damage, Headshots, Weapon Damage)
Advanced Hardware 4 - (Durability)

As always use powers while cloaked to shorten cooldown. That's basically what my SI would be if I specced him today (swap Hunter Mode with ED.) Maybe now I can have some good luck. I need a Typhoon.

Xevren

Yeah, a couple of days ago I played with a Paladin that was working Cerberus/Glacier/Gold with me. I should have payed closer attention to his build, but Paladins are definitely Gold viable. He was probably using a Snap Freeze/Piranha combo. While the other two players weren't bad we basically two manned 15m runs.

Reposting: My current Platinum Geth Piranha robot.
Tactical Cloak 4 - (Damage)
Hunter Mode 6 - (Weapon Accuracy, Rate of Fire, Damage)
Proximity Mine 6 - (Radius, Damage Taken, Damage)
Networked AI 6 - (Weapon Damage, Headshots, Weapon Damage)
Advanced Hardware 4 - (Durability)

As always use powers while cloaked to shorten cooldown. That's basically what my SI would be if I specced him today (swap Hunter Mode with ED.) Maybe now I can have some good luck. I need a Typhoon.

That's my exact GI spec, hells yeah. He's nutso with a Piranha.

DY_nasty

Have you had any success with setting off fire explosions that way? Snap Freeze doesn't really do much damage, so it seems hard to kill someone with it after the melee. I'll keep trying.

Yeah, works all the time. I typically run with a Mattock with this class now. With at least one other tech heavy engineer, I'm getting a good deal of tech bursts/explosions with no issue. Once you get the timing and damage estimate down, you can sit behind a shield and energy drain/cryo blast through an entire mob.

edit: just ran a game alongside a vorcha that wouldn't stop spamming his flamer. omg

Woorloog

Banned
Got Batarian Soldier.
Not sure how i'll spec him... 6/6/0/6/6 probably but what evolutions?
For Ballistic Blades, is Spread-Range-Explosive good idea? Damage-Range-Damage?
For the armor, i'll probably take Melee-Return-Dmg Reduction (and Fitness will be mix of damage and health)
Not sure if i should take power damage or weapon damage, or mix.

DY_nasty

I think the Paladin may be dealing with a bunch of glitches and bugs...

When I wasn't hosting, not only would the 40% damage reduction not work - but almost NONE of my tech bursts/explosion set ups would work either. It was ridiculous. The moment I switched lobbies and hosted again all the problems went out the window.

When I wasn't hosting, not only would the 40% damage reduction not work - but almost NONE of my tech bursts/explosion set ups would work either. It was ridiculous. The moment I switched lobbies and hosted again all the problems went out the window.

Ohhh ok lol that explains why I was having so many issues. I'll try playing as host next time I feel like playing some Paladin.

rozay

Banned
Someone on BSN discovered that equipping an SMG with ultralight materials now works when you also have a pistol equipped with ultralight materials. Too bad they only have 2 slots for mods!

X-Frame

I think the Paladin may be dealing with a bunch of glitches and bugs...

The Paladin is glitched. I read on BSN that his tech bursts and explosions do not detonate on the assigned target but instead on the Paladin character himself. So it's reversed. Which is why I didn't spec into the tech burst trees.

DY_nasty

The Paladin is glitched. I read on BSN that his tech bursts and explosions do not detonate on the assigned target but instead on the Paladin character himself. So it's reversed. Which is why I didn't spec into the tech burst trees.

that is just cray

it'd definitely explain why i survive so many mobs

EDarkness

Jesus, the amount of bugs and glitches is just ridiculous.

I agree. Before this last patch, I rarely had any problems, now almost every other game there's some kind of issue. The last one I had was a glitch where I couldn't hide behind cover. Every time I'd crouch, my character would simply stand back up. Which really sucked. It was a Silver match and I had died soooo many times, I'm just glad the group was kind enough to rez me as often as they did. Really sucked.

I'm not sure what they did this time around, but I hope they get it fixed.

Bisnic

I agree. Before this last patch, I rarely had any problems, now almost every other game there's some kind of issue. The last one I had was a glitch where I couldn't hide behind cover. Every time I'd crouch, my character would simply stand back up. Which really sucked. It was a Silver match and I had died soooo many times, I'm just glad the group was kind enough to rez me as often as they did. Really sucked.

I'm not sure what they did this time around, but I hope they get it fixed.

I saw this happen a few times, but that was when there was another player right next to me and there wasn't any cover left around him.

In other news...

Hey you! Yeah you! RNG!

8ejdA.png

Fuck you! I'm going to max those 3 before unlocking the rest at this rate.

Bisnic

By the way, can you guys add me to the NeoGAF list?

PC Origin: edarkness

Looking at that Origin list in the OP again... i dont recognize anyone that are still posting in this thread. It's not really updated with the ones who are actually playing it seems, but i can add you.

Mindlog

Got Batarian Soldier.
Not sure how i'll spec him... 6/6/0/6/6 probably but what evolutions?
For Ballistic Blades, is Spread-Range-Explosive good idea? Damage-Range-Damage?
For the armor, i'll probably take Melee-Return-Dmg Reduction (and Fitness will be mix of damage and health)
Not sure if i should take power damage or weapon damage, or mix.
Would need to see your manifest to know for certain. Right now my Batarian Soldier is 6/0/6/6/6, but that was before the Armor buff. The main idea is to charge a spawn throw a grenade, throw out the knives and Harrier/Reegar everything to death. With that combination I went all weapon damage. My powers are primarily used to stagger and weapons are doing the heavy damage.

Power damage can also work very well (if you go this route definitely take grenades.) Here's someone that successfully went with power damage.

Batarian Soldier 23 minutes Solo GOLD

Actually I recommend grenades on either build. The choice should be between Blade Armor and Fitness. Fun class.

Solo Shadow is all about the pace you set for yourself. Shadow Strike is essentially a tech version of Charge so be sure to spec it accordingly. Be sure to always be mindful of the distance between you and your enemies. Its critical that you prioritize targets too - shielded enemies are walking health packs for you so be mindful of that when spamming electric slash. You may need them as health - or as "ejection seats" since you don't even need a clear line of sight to teleport to them and out of a firefight. I typically spec the 40% damage reduction too.

Another thing is incendiary rounds. Flaming, nearly dead enemies + electric slash is a fire explosion. Be sure to take advantage when setting up your lanes and choke points.

Thank for the tips. I have points in electric slash but I dont think I had ever used it. I will try that out and see if it helps.

ShutEye

Thanks for the advice of Gold specs guys.

I'll try the engineer first I think and then the infiltrator builds if that doesn't work.

dear fucking bioware,

after I have carefully chosen my.consumables for a gold mission, please dont drop me in said.mission on level 6 where all my.team members are dead and I start the mission being shot and killed and.therefore lose my.consumables before I have a chance.to fire a single shot.

anally yours.

Bisnic

dear fucking bioware,

after I have carefully chosen my.consumables for a gold mission, please dont drop me in said.mission on level 6 where all my.team members are dead and I start the mission being shot and killed and.therefore lose my.consumables before I have a chance.to fire a single shot.

anally yours.

The solution is simple : Only select your consumables when you're in a lobby. Not before!

Edit : I'm getting Google ads in chinese. In Canada. The fuck?

dear fucking bioware,

anally yours.

I felt the same way when I chose a silver match in the quick game menu and got dropped into a platinum game.....with my level 12 adept (yeah I got my ass kicked pretty quick)

Cat Party

dear fucking bioware,

anally yours.

I always choose consumables (if any) after I join, so that I won't waste anything if I end up in a match in progress.

Woorloog

Banned
N7 Slayer's heavy melee... He actually decapitates Cerberus troops if the heavy melee is a killing blow! Wonder if Shadow does that too.
Too bad i made a mistake and chose melee damage for Rank 6 evolution of Fitness, without any health upgrades can't do much even on Bronze (4 and 5 were melee evolutions). Hell, i meant the build for Bronze anyway... Guess i need Charge 6: melee someone, charge, melee, charge.
Also, Kroguard is fun: Maximize health and shield. Protection Barrier. Carnage. Feels like a tank. Not for serious playing really, i think, because even with a lot of health and shield, Kroguard cannot take concentrated fire. Too bad he ain't stagger resistant or immune.
Also, has the weekend event started yet or still a few hours to go?

Bisnic

Really want that class. Don't really like Slayer, Vanguard is not my class.

I like Vanguards because Biotic Charge is a nice emergency button to get back your shield to 100%. But it can also be a very dangerous tool if you're careless and try to be a hero who charge a whole group. I actually prefer the Ex-Cerberus Vanguard over the Adept one because Biotic Charge is more useful than Singularity most of the time, especially against anything that have armor/shield/barrier.

Omega

Banned
Do the gears expire or are they permanent? I haven't played or followed this game in awhile, sorry if it's a dumb question.

What else have they changed about the game? I noticed re-spec cards have been downgraded to uncommon. Credit payouts on Gold are more evenly balanced instead of the 11/19/45 it used to be.

What other glitched characters/powers are there? I remember the vanguard being atrocious off host. I'm assuming they never patched that because I don't see anyone using Vanguard anymore.

Sorry for all the questions.

exYle

N7 Slayer's heavy melee... He actually decapitates Cerberus troops if the heavy melee is a killing blow! Wonder if Shadow does that too.
Too bad i made a mistake and chose melee damage for Rank 6 evolution of Fitness, without any health upgrades can't do much even on Bronze (4 and 5 were melee evolutions). Hell, i meant the build for Bronze anyway... Guess i need Charge 6: melee someone, charge, melee, charge.

You might be interested in learning that the Slayer's light melee makes him nearly invincible between teleports. I still strongly recommend that you only play him on host, though.

Xevren

They added a gear bonus slot that is permanent, but the drop rate on them is crazy low. As for glitches....just too many to list at this point.

Gui_PT

New content has been surprisingly good.

Can't say the same for their team taking care of fixing glitches sadly.

Unfortunately fixing glitches isn't that easy/cheap but I can't defend them because I have no idea if they have a team working on those

Btw, Squal Goal GET!

Top Bottom