• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I was definitely bored with it when I tried him out. I have the Adas Anti-Synthetic rifle on him (don't have a Geth Spitfire) but are there any other weapon recommendations? I couldn't really participate in anything besides go off on my own and be a tank. I will say that I'll never get tired of his heavy melee though. Question, do you have to aim with the reticule a bit or can you just be in melee range? There were a few times where I'd press and hold B, it'd give me a squeek, but then not do it. Or maybe there's a cooldown?

There's a rhythm you have to get. I sometimes go with a shotgun or AR for Jugs because recharge speed isn't an issue. I do like how it tracks so it keeps those Geth Bombers wrapped up.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I played the Geth Juggernaut once and never touched it since then. The fact that he can't run really hurts. If people go down and i'm too far away, there's no chance for me to reach them in time. I like having characters that have more agility and mobility. Sure, he's practically invincible, but that's not enough for me to like him.

Yeah, I was definitely bored with it when I tried him out. I have the Adas Anti-Synthetic rifle on him (don't have a Geth Spitfire) but are there any other weapon recommendations? I couldn't really participate in anything besides go off on my own and be a tank. I will say that I'll never get tired of his heavy melee though. Question, do you have to aim with the reticule a bit or can you just be in melee range? There were a few times where I'd press and hold B, it'd give me a squeek, but then not do it. Or maybe there's a cooldown?
its very hit and miss. you just need to be in range.

I use the reeger x on the jugg with armour piercing and melee mods.

Mindlog

Neogaf Build Guide 2013
  • Adept - Mindlog
  • Soldier -
  • Engineer -
  • Sentinel -
  • Infiltrator -
  • Vanguard -

Link your builds to the list or something. I don't know.
Here are some of my Adepts with notes. Ask any questions so I can make them somewhat helpful :p

Human. Take any weapon that keeps you over or near 150% cooldown and can carry a power amplifier. Cooldown is very important to this class. The class is really squishy, but very strong when used aggressively. I still get bugs when trying to detonate stuff with Shockwave. Dropping a Singularity and blowing everything up is your goal. Warp + Shockwave is the most powerful detonation vs single targets.

Asari. I don't use her much anymore and this is an old build. There is a case to be made for not taking Stasis at all. I take it here just to help out the team. Bubbles are not what they used to be. Consider taking the headshot bonus if you plan on going the weapon route. A heavier weapon to take advantage of easy headshots wouldn't be a sin.

Drell. Extremely powerful when paired with Grenade Capacity gear. Low cooldown is not a requirement, but I thrive on it. My playstyle depends on spamming Reave for DR and stagger then using grenades when necessary. I like using powerful light mid-range weapons like the Collector SMG with Power Amplifier mods.

Justicar. I'll be honest and say I never played this character much. My spec is nothing special and it's sort of all over the place. I've tried bubble-less Pull/Reave builds with success as well. This Adept is suited to taking a slightly heavier weapon.

Cerberus. I've used a lot of different variations with this character. Tech Smash can be a good idea as well. It was one of my favorite classes before the nerf.

N7 Fury. Absolutely phenomenal class. Right up there with the Drell. Will spend most of its time at close range making the Hurricane a great choice. I take Dark Channel for those times when getting in close is not an option. Highly maneuverable so use that teleportation to your advantage whenever possible.

Volus. I feel like this is the weakest Volus class. I'm not a big stasis fan and shield boost already has a quick cooldown. I put three points in fitness here, but considering what that does those six points are better off in the passive tree.

Krogan. A tanky human adept that trades singularity for barrier? If the human is too fragile for you then maybe this is a good class. Pass from me though.

Batarian. At first glance very similar to the Drell except a little slower with a bit more health. Keep in mind that Warp + Grenades is going to do a bit more damage to its primary target than what the Drell offers. So let the Drell worry about crowds. A good Batarian is attacking the big units first and then worrying about crowds. I take Lash because it's fun.

Collector. The hardest kit to spec by far. There are quite a few viable options. This is also one of the hardest kits to play as. I need to play again because I am forgetting if I melee cancel into Swarmers or the other way around. Bascially while in Ascension Mode with Swarmers on cast Dark Sphere. Before you detonate DS cast Dark Channel. Pop the sphere and then if necessary spam Swarmers. Once you get the rhythm down you will be hitting very hard without having to worry about cooldowns as much as it appears you would. This class loves the CSMG which makes it hard to put any points into Ascension Stance.

This is the rough cut for Adepts. I plan on re-doing my Collector bit when I play again. The Collector is a lot of fun, but the hardest to play as. I want to be thorough on that one.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Holy shit N7 Shadow I realised she was good but didn't think she was that good. Her ability to deal with those annoying ass weaker troops on Platinum that are still very much a threat while simultaneously dealing a decent amount of damage to bosses with dat range. I knew there was a reason i always liked her despite feeling crap with her for a large proportion of my early playing with her.

Chocobro

Neogaf Build Guide 2013
  • Adept - Mindlog
  • Soldier -
  • Engineer -
  • Sentinel -
  • Infiltrator -
  • Vanguard -

Link your builds to the list or something. I don't know.
Here are some of my Adepts with notes. Ask any questions so I can make them somewhat helpful :p

Looking pretty good! I'll see what I can pull together for Infiltrator (and maybe Sentinel) kits later this week.
I have a feeling there'll be many Infiltrator guides

I played the Geth Juggernaut once and never touched it since then. The fact that he can't run really hurts. If people go down and i'm too far away, there's no chance for me to reach them in time. I like having characters that have more agility and mobility. Sure, he's practically invincible, but that's not enough for me to like him.
ignore weapon damage and focus on power damage. Max out siege pulse, focus on damage for it. Max out fitness for shields/health. Throw on an SMG or pistol and put on a power magnifier.

You feel incredibly powerful and its a really nice change of pace from other classes. I've been top scorer in gold games spamming siege pulse. If Im doing platinum I usually repec. for 4 pulses and just use it for damage protection. Playing him on plat. games gets really old. Gold and below is a shit ton of fun

Obscured

Welcome to a big time sink :p I recently came across this video and you may find it useful:

Mass Effect 3 - General gameplay guide & tips for playing with PUG's

Thanks, that was helpful. I've been lucky to get some pretty good people to play with while searching randomly. I can imagine at higher levels the intensity might ramp up and maybe I'll run into some different personalities, but so far so good. A more positive community than some I've run across online.

Seeing some of the posts in here are like a different language, but I'm starting to get it.

Kaper

Uhhh so I joined a game where everyone was basically instagibbing everything. The Praetorians wouldn't get gibbed unless they had no barriers. Bug or hack?

Sai

Like, instant-instant? Or just "going down really fast"-instant?

And what were you seeing them being killed by on the kill log below? Missile Launchers, or one of the weapons? If it was the former, they were glitching.

Kaper

As long as the unit didn't have shields or barriers it would die in one shot from anything. No missile launcher glitch. Chain overload would kill 3 unshielded units per cast (ex. 3 brutes).

And I keep getting the Volus characters, both UR and rare, when I'd rather have anything else. :/

Principate

Saint Titanfall
As long as the unit didn't have shields or barriers it would die in one shot from anything. No missile launcher glitch. Chain overload would kill 3 unshielded units per cast (ex. 3 brutes).

And I keep getting the Volus characters, both UR and rare, when I'd rather have anything else. :/

I've been in one of those it was pretty obvious because it was gold and even I could one shot though bosses armor with an acolyte. I promptly left, never really understood why someone would do that.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
For some stupid reason I never tried the Drell Adept, so I gave him a try last night.

HOT SHIT SO MANY EXPLOSIONS

Dude's tight, wish I hadn't slept on him.

^The sound effect for his Reave used to be glitched and it would loop, can't remember how long but it was at least 1 minute straight. They fixed it but I can never get past that

Bisnic

^The sound effect for his Reave used to be glitched and it would loop, can't remember how long but it was at least 1 minute straight. They fixed it but I can never get past that

Oh god, you just remind me of that. I'm sure there is still some Youtube video of this. This shit lasted for a few months I believe, they released the first multiplayer DLC and it still wasn't fixed. Every time there was a Drell in your lobby, you almost wanted to kick him out because you had a huge "buzzing" sound that you could hear all over the map and it would never ever stop.

That and the Vanguard Charge glitch were terrible in the first months.

Bisnic

what was the glitch? I don't know this one

If you weren't host and you happened to die at the same time you were using Biotic Charge, you were stuck with some "noclip" glitch after being revived where your character could barely(or couldn't) move and was stuck floating in midair, or under the floor or very very high in the sky. I think I have some screenshots I posted early in this thread(back in may or june 2012 I think) where we see my Krogan Vanguard literally floating away in the sky of the Goddess map. The glitch lasted until the game was over.

Chocobro

If you weren't host and you happened to die at the same time you were using Biotic Charge, you were stuck with some "noclip" glitch after being revived where your character could barely(or couldn't) move and was stuck floating in midair, or under the floor or very very high in the sky. I think I have some screenshots I posted early in this thread(back in may or june 2012 I think) where we see my Krogan Vanguard literally floating away in the sky of the Goddess map. The glitch lasted until the game was over.

I found the post.
Tried to do a Krogan air-drop and floated away instead huh :p
From bottom to top, it looked like you air-dropped straight through the ground.

Bisnic

I found the post.
Tried to do a Krogan air-drop and floated away instead huh :p
From bottom to top, it looked like you air-dropped straight through the ground.

Ah, yeah, that's the post. :p Damn the bug was still there back in July 2012? It lasted longer than I thought.

And it does feel like I did a Krogan air-drop so hardcore that I broke the floor if you watch the pics from bottom to top. ;)

Just played my first few games, its awesome so far

Few points/questions

1) I had a glitch where I couldn't damage enemies, enemies would ignore me, I couldn't heal teammates, pick ammo up or use context-sensitive abilities. Is this common?

2) What does it mean by 'Promote' on the character selection screen?

3) Do you unlock new characters through leveling up, or just by buying packs?

4) Is there anything locked behind the paid packs?

5) Are any of the Supplies refilled between missions, or do you have to get them in packs?

6) Is it a waste to use Equipment in Bronze missions?

7) Can somebody add me, preferably an English speaker who uses a headset? My SEN is the same as my username :)

Chocobro

Few points/questions

1) I had a glitch where I couldn't damage enemies, enemies would ignore me, I couldn't heal teammates, pick ammo up or use context-sensitive abilities. Is this common?
That isn't common, I think I ran into that problem three times out of the 930 games I played so far.
It means to increase your N7 Level by 20, your class that you promoted will reset to Level 1 so you can relevel, repsec your characters in that class.
Only by buying packs. When you unlock all Common and Uncommon characters, Reserve Packs are great for unlocking Rare characters.
The packs you pay with Bioware Points, Microsoft Points or whatever variant the PS3 is using is exactly the same as the ones you would buy using credits. It's just for those people who want to use real money to unlock extra packs.
5) Are any of the Supplies refilled between missions, or do you have to get them in packs?
All supplies and consumables are obtained via packs.
If you feel they increases your chance of extracting, it isn't a waste. There's no point in stockpiling them (even though I am sitting on a ton) The gear bonus on the bottom right is permanent in the equipment screen.
7) Can somebody add me, preferably an English speaker who uses a headset? My SEN is the same as my username :)
I would if I wasn't already playing on the 360 :(

I hope this helps.

Huzzah! I go first! edit: dang you Chocobro!!!!

Few points/questions:

sounds like you were lagging. it happens to me on 360, usually right before I lose connection.

Your N7 level (red banner in the MP lobby) represents how many times you've leveled up, cumulative. When you get any specific character to level 20, that's max. You can promote them on the character select screen to set them back to level 1, which allows you to do 2 things: further gain levels by playing the same character, and 2, allows you to change your stat allocation in case you changed your mind on "do I want damage or range for this, etc"

New characters are found in the packs. You can get them more than once as well which unlocks new appearance options and possibly XP for that class.

paid packs (with real world money) are the exact same packs you get with the in-game money, but the idea is if you use real money you don't have to invest the time. Once you get to Silver and Gold matches, buying the more expensive packs is a lot easier. In fact, successful gold matches get you like 80,000 credits so it's almost 1 big pack per game. I have never spent real world money in the multiplayer, I'd rather play the game and get the in-game money cuz that's kind of the point, but to each their own.

Consumables, such as medi gel, cobra missle launcher, and equipment such as cryo ammo, etc are all obtained through the packs. Out of medi gel? only way to get more is through packs. there is 1 thing in the equipment menu that does not go away after using it, it's the 4th slot called "Gear." It's usually + whatever % to something specific, for example "+6% to shields." You might not even have any yet but they stick around so always have one equipped

I'd say if you have enough equipment to waste or if you're struggling with Bronze matches, use em up. Over time you'll get better stuff and you'll get better as a player, so once you get to that level I'd say equipment on Bronze is a bit of a waste, but if you need an edge now, I say go for it.

7) Can somebody add me, preferably an English speaker who uses a headset? My SEN is the same as my username
I'm on 360, plus my group and I started to drift away from ME3 MP in favor of single player games (only 15 left in my backlog!) but I still love talking about it.

Bisnic

Has the first post been updated with everyone's names for each system?

Considering that the OP hasn't been updated for over a year, no. It's really out of date, and I bet a lot of people in there do not play anymore. I'm not sure if even Eatchildren still read that thread, even if he is a big ME fan.

And I do feel like using equipment in Bronze is a waste. Bronze is very easy, and even if you're new, you'll always get at least one or two players that can dominate Bronze. So save them for later when you'll be able to do higher difficulties. Even Silver feels a bit like a waste to me, although with the 100+ equipment I got at rank I, I do not mind using them for Silver. :lol But rank III and IV? Save them for Gold and Platinum.

Bisnic

No, not anymore... Unless you want to run through the game's single player with the bare minimum required war assets and still see the better ending(s).

Lol, I think my single player campaigns with every quests, DLC and scanned planets have like 8000-9000 war assets at 100% Galactic Readiness... when you only need like 3100 for the extra scene.

War assets are so pointless. -_- Why did they even bother.

No, not anymore... Unless you want to run through the game's single player with the bare minimum required war assets and still see the better ending(s).

Cheers

Why not anymore, out of interest? Did they patch out it's importance as the community died down?

I'm at about 8,000 military strength, can't help but complete every mission :(

Except for Omega. Gonna buy Citadel when its cheaper.

Chocobro

Cheers guys. Gonna take a shot at Silver tonight.

Go for it :) Also, if you have 40 minutes to spare, this YouTube video could be useful in the long run as it contains general tips, tricks, and strategies that'll put you ahead of the game.

Think we need some kind of ME3 MP GAF Wiki page for FAQs, builds, and etc or at least update the OT? Or just link them to BSN threads
(lol BSN)
?

Bisnic

Why not anymore, out of interest? Did they patch out it's importance as the community died down?

Because a lot of fans complained about the fact that they were forced to play some multiplayer games to see the best ending. So they reduced the required amount of EMS in the Extended Cut. Doesn't have anything to do with community dying down.

Melchiah

This is not my night. Lost a bunch of consumables for nothing. First match was unplayable due to stutter, and during the second the system hardlocked, which has happened to me several times during the SP campaigns of ALL three Mass Effects. I wish Bioware would have concentrated on fixing this shit. Feels good to be playing the game after a longer pause.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Lol, I think my single player campaigns with every quests, DLC and scanned planets have like 8000-9000 war assets at 100% Galactic Readiness... when you only need like 3100 for the extra scene.

War assets are so pointless. -_- Why did they even bother.

TBF you did need originally need 5000 war assest if you missed the renegade prompt, which is a fair amount for someone with only the base game. Probably lowered it because it was too annoying for some to get.

Melchiah

i have it at 2. I wish i had it at X. Pre Nerf, it was the most godly UR in the game...

Ah, yet another weapon/character, that I never got to try in its prime. I'm beginning to think I'll never get to experience some of the godly classes until the servers are shut. Still missing Geth Soldier & Juggernaut, N7 Shadow, and many others. The system is truly borked, when even after nearly 11 months you're still missing half of the ex-Cerberus characters.

Chocobro

So I was able to play a couple of Gold matches (all with no consumables, bite me :x ) and revisited the GI. I forgot how good this guy is. Played three games with the Piranha, one with the Hurricane, and one with the Talon.

Opened five PSP: many L4 Ammo's and Valkyrie VI :\

far out. Such a SHIT gold game where i had to carry everyone.

Firebase London, Cerb, Gold - comes to round 6 and its a hack round in the MIDDLE of the base. I had carried every single person through every single round. In the end i couldnt do it.

Here is the scorecard at the beginning of round 6. That's me on top 101K after 5 and a bit rounds...these guys should NOT be playing on gold.

Bazza

Having great fun with the Talon Engineer, the omni bow is awesome. one issue i have been having is with the melee attack, i have it mapped to one of my extra mouse buttons but it does not seem to work when using the Talon engineer im forced to use F which can be a pain if im trying to move about with the WSAD keys and fire the omni bow.

Silver is a bit easy with him, Probably gonna give him a try on gold tonight may end badly as he is a little squishy.

Bisnic

I had a lvl 1 Batarian Soldier the other day in a Gold game against Geths. Luckily for the guy, I was with my lvl 20 Krogan Warlord, and this guy is nearly invincible with the right spec and mods against them. And I can kill everything with 1 Biotic Hammer and Geth Primes only takes 4.

Top Bottom