• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

X-Frame

Turning a Combat Engineer's turret on Cerberus was awesome. I was HUNTING those things, WAITING until an Engineer put one down so that I could hack it and then it would literally tear the Engineer to shreds within 1.2 seconds. And then, unless I am wrong, the turret auto self-destructs because I hacked a couple and ran away and then got a Sabotage kill on the turret.

Cheech

Got an M-99 Saber. That was a pretty exciting Spectre pack.

I wonder if it frustrates people when they're trying to use various skills and I'm just one shotting everything in sight. Heh.

Game is awesome. I'll be playing this for a while. I also bumped my Battlefield 3 Soldier from lev 20 back to level 1 to get the N7 points. Why not, eh.

Haint

No, it's not just my opinion, that sentiment was carried by many other gaffers just on these last few pages alone. If you can consistently compete at the highest level then you deserve it's best reward but if you have a 30% success rate on Gold then you should have an appropriate amount of difficulty in obtaining the prize as well.

So if they didn't monetize the system and implemented exactly what you described here... doesn't that favor those players with more time to play? Isn't that entirely *less* fair because someone with less time now has no other option than to grind?

Isn't this a contradiction walbert? Your argument seems to be based on the idea that it's "fair, balanced, and a level playing field" for a rich (or stupid) guy to buy $1000 in Specter packs, but at the same time you're also saying a crappy player doesn't "deserve" to earn a Specter pack in 20 or 30 minutes of play. To put it another way, it seems you're suggesting it's "fair" to buy your way into uber rares with RL $$$'s, but they can't allows scrubs to buy their way in with (a reasonable amount of) free time.

Ken

Oh, so that's what happened to you. Dang man, so you didn't get XP or anything?

Oh, yeah it's on 360. But that rank you posted is ridiculous! Wow, some people have no lives.

EDIT: Those buffs are really dumb, but at least the damage of the Mattock has been increased. I was wondering why it was destroying fools now.

I did, so that's good.

I'm back on if you wanted to play a match or two.

did you switch from random difficulty to bronze? No one wants to play with a lvl 1 player on silver or gold.

Also, from my demo experience, it helps if you just constantly join and leave games until you find the right group. Don't waste your time waiting for the host or other players in the lobby.

These are actually really good suggestions. I finally figured this out. :) Now it isn't that bad anymore. But still level 1 is kind of useless. I don't even understand how it's possible to beat gold or silver with level 1 character. Why is this even an option?

Can somebody explain the players who have "Battlefield 3" under their name instead of "Human male" or whatever. I've gotten out of those lobbies right away just in case they were hacked.

Sober

I've noticed that...

Also earlier today I tried a Gold-Geth match post-nerf and on the last objective round(wave 10) we killed all the Geth VIPs except for the last one which was a Pyro and he had to have like 10% life left when we all died. It was so fucking painful.
If you completed the objectives and got the credits then you are set for credits for a silver game. Unless you were meaning to get the XP from finishing a silver game and doing the extraction round and whatever points you can get from that (which is moot since it is so easy to level)

Isn't this a contradiction walbert? Your argument seems to be based on the idea that it's "fair, balanced, and a level playing field" for a rich (or stupid) guy to buy $1000 in Specter packs, but at the same time you're also saying a crappy player doesn't "deserve" to earn a Specter pack in 20 or 30 minutes of play. To put it another way, it seems you're suggesting it's "fair" to buy your way into uber rares with RL $$$'s, but they can't allows scrubs to buy their way in with (a reasonable amount of) free time.

You're looking at this from the wrong angle.... you're trying to compare someone with money with someone who's a "scrub". Those are not comparable metrics.. in other words, a person with money can be a scrub or non-scrub, and a scrub could be a person with money or no money. They are not mutually exclusive terms.

What I mean by "fair" is that all players have access to all content. We all know content is randomized, right? Someone can be really lucky or really unlucky... and it's literally the roll of a die on what they get from their packs. However, no matter how they get those packs (whether through credits or real money), they have the same odds of getting XYZ item as the next person opening the same pack. We can agree on this, right?

So how do people buy their packs? They either invest Time (credits) or Money (money). And what kind of players play the game? All kinds, such as:

- The person with tons of free Time with no Money
- The person with lots of free Time and a bit of Money
- The person with some free Time and some Money
- The person with little free Time and more Money
- The person with almost no free Time and lots of Money

See all the combinations there? And pretty much every combination you can think of in between those, like someone with no money and no time or lots of money and lots of time.

Okay, now let's pick a hypothetical number of Spectre packs needed to be 100% efficient in the game... say, 100 packs. What is fair about this system is that no matter what kind of player you are, you have access to that 100 packs. Whether you can invest Time or Money or any combination between the two, you can achieve those 100 packs. This is what I mean by a "fair" system... every player is able to maximize the efficiency of their resources to achieve those same 100 packs. Note also that to achieve the 100 packs, each player is able to play the game how they are able to... in economic terms, this is their utility curve.

And when I said this:

So if they didn't monetize the system and implemented exactly what you described here... doesn't that favor those players with more time to play? Isn't that entirely *less* fair because someone with less time now has no other option than to grind?

It was in response to this:

You keep relying on this trope that it's not that difficult to unlock a Spectre pack. It's all relative, even if you're a great player. Sure, you could spend 45 minutes on Gold and unlock a Spectre pack. But what if, had Bioware not monetized the unlock system, they thought the best ratio would be that you could unlock a Spectre and a Veteran pack after completion of a Gold game? That's what is wrong with this system, making a bigger profit clouds their judgment.

Using the situation I set up above, if Bioware did not monetize the unlock system like how TangoAlphaLima suggests, then those people with little to no Time have far less opportunity to get those 100 Spectre packs. There's no Money option, so they end up being far behind the curve in terms of what they can unlock. They then end up playing with their 25 or 50 or 75 Spectre packs with players who were able to gain 100 Spectre packs since they have more Time.

Edit: And it's funny, people are so up-in-arms about these companies making money. These are the companies making these fantastic games! Why shouldn't we want them to have our money (provided it's given in a fair way) so they can make more fantastic games? I'm sure most people have heard about the used games issue, how the developers/publishers don't see a dime off of any of Gamestop's sales. How should these companies make up for the lost revenue? By inserting online codes with new copies and new revenue streams like buying Spectre packs. These are fair and ethical business practices that give money to the developers and publishers who make these fantastic games. (Contrast this versus the Prothean DLC and Razer accessories tie-ins, which I feel enter a gray area in terms of business ethics and I am personally against... however, buying Spectre packs do not enter that gray area and I am not against it).

And yet no one wants to comment on EA's stock performance that I brought up.

DarkKyo

If you completed the objectives and got the credits then you are set for credits for a silver game. Unless you were meaning to get the XP from finishing a silver game and doing the extraction round and whatever points you can get from that (which is moot since it is so easy to level)
No, I mean in my Gold game the very last step of the last objective wave was not completed. Meaning we were a couple bullets away from like 40k extra credits. It sucked. I don't really care much for trivial amounts of XP compared to big bursts of credits.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
can somebody confirm that you can be banned on Origin (and barred from all games you own there) if you accidentally played with people who modified their .ini files?

Wow, this is evil. They released a time limited "Equipment pack". I can finally get medigels and rockets, but still. Yuck.

It might be like weekly thing where its got a different theme every week. Maybe need week is weapon mod week, then Character class, sniper, etc.
That would be neat and it would make me hate the RNG way less.

Ken

The Javelin seems like garbage next to the Black Widow. :(

Single shot, requires charge time, thermal scope that's only effective against Cerberus, reveals enemies behind cover that aren't exactly hidden to anyone, and the penetration through walls seems really weak compared to the Black Widow. It's too bad since aesthetically it's a nice looking and sounding rifle.

Single shot, requires charge time, thermal scope that's only effective against Cerberus, reveals enemies behind cover that aren't exactly hidden to anyone, and the penetration through walls seems really weak compared to the Black Widow. It's too bad since aesthetically it's a nice looking and sounding rifle.

Its got a bit more damage on it and once you learn to compensate for the start up time I find its better for fast moving targets. I also managed to head shot 3 Geth with I don't think i can ever hate on anything for letting me do that.

Ken

Its got a bit more damage on it and once you learn to compensate for the start up time I find its better for fast moving targets. I also managed to head shot 3 Geth with I don't think i can ever hate on anything for letting me do that.

More damage per shot but you can fire off 3 Black Widow rounds by the time you get a second shot off with the Javelin so eh.

Aside from the scope, the Widow seems to be an equal rifle.

Managed to get to wave 10 on gold tonight. We all died, but at least we fell after completing the objective, so we got paid.

Opened a Spectre Box and got a Black Widow. Tonight has been good.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Figures I get a Quarian Infiltrator right after they get nerfed. And the second Turian Sentinel! Give me an Asari/Drell anything please.

eek5

No, I mean in my Gold game the very last step of the last objective wave was not completed. Meaning we were a couple bullets away from like 40k extra credits. It sucked. I don't really care much for trivial amounts of XP compared to big bursts of credits.

word

I don't even try very hard after we get our money lol. I'll use all my rockets, health things, medigels, even ammo boxes to spam sticky grenades if we're on wave 10 of the objective though lol

Haint

You're looking at this from the wrong angle.... you're trying to compare someone with money with someone who's a "scrub". Those are not comparable metrics.. in other words, a person with money can be a scrub or non-scrub, and a scrub could be a person with money or no money. They are not mutually exclusive terms.

What I mean by "fair" is that all players have access to all content. We all know content is randomized, right? Someone can be really lucky or really unlucky... and it's literally the roll of a die on what they get from their packs. However, no matter how they get those packs (whether through credits or real money), they have the same odds of getting XYZ item as the next person opening the same pack. We can agree on this, right?

So how do people buy their packs? They either invest Time (credits) or Money (money). And what kind of players play the game? All kinds, such as:

- The person with tons of free Time with no Money
- The person with lots of free Time and a bit of Money
- The person with some free Time and some Money
- The person with little free Time and more Money
- The person with almost no free Time and lots of Money

See all the combinations there? And pretty much every combination you can think of in between those, like someone with no money and no time or lots of money and lots of time.

Okay, now let's pick a hypothetical number of Spectre packs needed to be 100% efficient in the game... say, 100 packs. What is fair about this system is that no matter what kind of player you are, you have access to that 100 packs. Whether you can invest Time or Money or any combination between the two, you can achieve those 100 packs. This is what I mean by a "fair" system... every player is able to maximize the efficiency of their resources to achieve those same 100 packs. Note also that to achieve the 100 packs, each player is able to play the game how they are able to... in economic terms, this is their utility curve.

And when I said this:

It was in response to this:

Using the situation I set up above, if Bioware did not monetize the unlock system like how TangoAlphaLima suggests, then those people with little to no Time have far less opportunity to get those 100 Spectre packs. There's no Money option, so they end up being far behind the curve in terms of what they can unlock. They then end up playing with their 25 or 50 or 75 Spectre packs with players who were able to gain 100 Spectre packs since they have more Time.

Edit: And it's funny, people are so up-in-arms about these companies making money. These are the companies making these fantastic games! Why shouldn't we want them to have our money (provided it's given in a fair way) so they can make more fantastic games? I'm sure most people have heard about the used games issue, how the developers/publishers don't see a dime off of any of Gamestop's sales. How should these companies make up for the lost revenue? By inserting online codes with new copies and new revenue streams like buying Spectre packs. These are fair and ethical business practices that give money to the developers and publishers who make these fantastic games. (Contrast this versus the Prothean DLC and Razer accessories tie-ins, which I feel enter a gray area in terms of business ethics and I am personally against... however, buying Spectre packs do not enter that gray area and I am not against it).

And yet no one wants to comment on EA's stock performance that I brought up.

I think the problems people are having is that your definitions of fair and level are loose and selective. While all groups may (theoretically) have access to all items, there are certainly some that have a tremendous advantage. The loot mechanics may be randomized, but they're still odds based and will work out in (the considerable) favor of someone who can buy 1000 Specter packs with $. This is by definition not a fair or level playing field, and I'm assuming you get that. Time, patience, and interest are all finite, most people won't come close to getting all the items they'd like to have. People buying a lot of Specter packs with money probably will--or will have a much higher chance. Another thing is your apparent assumption that money should be able to buy anything. Most people would disagree with that. Outright buying school degrees, sporting event placement, and advantages in things of that nature are almost universally and unanimously frowned upon (if not illegal). Games are commonly viewed in the same light, something to be earned through skill and dedication--not money. You may not agree with that (i.e. "they're just videogames, who cares"), and that's fine, but this is the hole in your argument most people are disagreeing with. I get what you're saying about EA's stock tanking and this being free and easy money, but that's like saying a struggling Football franchise should buy their way into the Super Bowl with a billion dollar donation to the NFL.

_woLf

The more I play this, the less fun I have because everything is random chance/consumable based.

All I fucking want to do is PLAY AS AN ASARI. Goddamnit.

I don't play Solider, but my mate is wondering why he doesn't get all his grenades back from the ammo box. Any ideas?

Grenades are on respawn timer first come first serve. On harder difficulties there are less grenades per box and the respawn timer is longer.

Ikkarus

You have the Black Widow and Javelin?

I wish I had your kind of luck. The best guns I have is the standard Widow, Carnifex (which I love) and the Geth Shotgun.

I still want to unlock the Asari Adept though. :(

eek5

Finally beat the buffed geth on gold. Took two salarian engineers with decoys though. That seems like the best way I know of to get all the hunters to uncloak and reveal themselves. There is probably some biotic power I've never used that is also effective but the hunters seem like the biggest problem with geth now. They cloak infinitely and move faster while cloaked so they can flank/sneak up on you really fast then they shoot their shotgun immediately when they are in range which just wrecks your shields.

The biggest issue with the buff now is it's hard as hell to find people good enough to beat gold in pubs :(

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Played some of this yesterday, it's a lot of fun! I need to stop playing soldier though, seems like that's the most boring way to play.

GT (360): DeadJoshWalking

Rokam

Is Krogan Soldier a rare or an uncommon? Keep getting crap I don't want, People in here want Asari stuff, that's all I'm getting :(.

Ikkarus

Is Krogan Soldier a rare or an uncommon? Keep getting crap I don't want, People in here want Asari stuff, that's all I'm getting :(.

If only we could trade. :(
I have unlocked the Salarian, Quarian, Krogan and Turian but not one single Asari!

Rokam

Completed my first silver tonight. All my previous attempts ended on round 6, because there was always someone not helping with w/e the goal was. Cluster Grenades are ridiculous, I held the bottom half of the snow level, while the rest of the team held the top.

orion434

Found it funny last night that our entire team was incapacitated with 0:03 seconds left... figured we'd just bleed out because the Geth were taking their time to advance on us. Instead we got a Full Extraction... bust out laughing.

Is there any Pack in general that will give me better chances to unlock Class-races? I've been doing mainly Veteran Packs ( 20K pack ) Should I save for Spectre Packs? I'm only lv N44.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Is there any Pack in general that will give me better chances to unlock Class-races? I've been doing mainly Veteran Packs ( 20K pack ) Should I save for Spectre Packs? I'm only lv N44.
Some combos are silver, some are gold, with that in mind Spectre packs are the best if you want all the combos, veteran packs are best if you want some of the combos.

As soon as you can reliably earn credits on silver or gold difficulty you might as well switch to Spectre packs if you want unlocks, particularly if you want rares.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So do you unlock new weapons in the first two packs at all or have I just been extremely unlucky?

My first play online I got my Engineer to 17 and just used the AR I got at the beginning because they didn't offer me anything else in any of the packs besides the Spectre one when they gave me a Sniper Rifle I wasn't going to use.

While I enjoy the MP, unlocking weapons and other such items can be a little annoying.

Ikkarus

So do you unlock new weapons in the first two packs at all or have I just been extremely unlucky?

My first play online I got my Engineer to 17 and just used the AR I got at the beginning because they didn't offer me anything else in any of the packs besides the Spectre one when they gave me a Sniper Rifle I wasn't going to use.

While I enjoy the MP, unlocking weapons and other such items can be a little annoying.

I find the packs good at the following:

• Recruit - Good for buffs.
  • Veteran - Unlocking weapon upgrades and buffs with an occasional Gold unlock (new weapons and characters)
  • Spectre - Great for weapon upgrades and unlocking Gold packs.

harrytang

game from last night

MHuzFl.jpg

yeah, im the loser at the very bottom.

thought a level 20 adept would be acceptable in gold but i was pretty much useless and along for the ride. everyone sniping and using cloak. lucky for me they were nice enough to continually revive me. netted around 70k for their trouble. rocking the geth shotgun in the hopes of tearing through pyro and prime armor.

all in all took around 28 min. so seems like geth farming still an option. cloak could be getting the next balancing debuff.

If only we could trade. :(
I have unlocked the Salarian, Quarian, Krogan and Turian but not one single Asari!

Why god why???? :(

Krogan Soldier and Sentinel are both rare

The more I play this, the less fun I have because everything is random chance/consumable based.

All I fucking want to do is PLAY AS AN ASARI. Goddamnit.

Wish we could trade, I'd give you my turian soldier as I don't like him.

I would pay spacebucks for Turian anything.

I think it's pretty clear that classes at the very least shouldn't be locked behind the crappy card system.

Violet_0

Banned
all in all took around 28 min. so seems like geth farming still an option. cloak could be getting the next balancing debuff.

I won't lie, cloak is the only way I can even stay alive in multiplayer. I got pressing the panic button down to a science in the demo, to the point where I can't even play another class anymore. Dying is something that happens to other people :)

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I find the packs good at the following:

• Recruit - Good for buffs.
  • Veteran - Unlocking weapon upgrades and buffs with an occasional Gold unlock (new weapons and characters)
  • Spectre - Great for weapon upgrades and unlocking Gold packs.

Just being unlucky then I guess, lol.
I did unlock a Quarian Infiltrator, Krogan Soldier and Salarian Engineer, but I was really aiming for a better weapon.

I see people mention and play the Infiltrators a lot, especially the Quarian one, what is the best way to play them, shoot the crap out of everything till you're in trouble then cloak and run away?
Also any tips for Infiltrator powers, best to what into what?

eek5

Geth farming is probably on par with Cerberus in terms of difficulty now maybe a bit easier but not much imo as long as you have a decent team.

They need to tone down Reapers. I tried a round on gold and wave 3 is insane. All the reapers pretty much ignore decoys too. I'm not even sure how you're supposed to clear that shit.

Just being unlucky then I guess, lol.
I did unlock a Quarian Infiltrator, Krogan Soldier and Salarian Engineer, but I was really aiming for a better weapon.

I see people mention and play the Infiltrators a lot, especially the Quarian one, what is the best way to play them, shoot the crap out of everything till you're in trouble then cloak and run away?

Salarian Engie is so good. It's one of my favorite characters. Decoy pretty much holds any choke in the game. The toned down dodging gets geth to group up too so I recommend incinerate with radius so you can smash enemies when they get stuck on your decoy. I only put 3 points into the decoy and it works great.

I think it's pretty clear that classes at the very least shouldn't be locked behind the crappy card system.

They should've had all characters unlocked with a female/alternate version as unlock so you could do two builds per character. (like all the humans) Maybe even some alternates with different skills.

Top Bottom