• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

A lot of people are giving class strategies for people who are really good, but I am not that good in this game. I am usually 3rd in any team I join. I am about to hit 20 as a human soldier, so I will want to reset as a new character. What is a good class and spec for someone who has outgrown the basic solider, but still isnt a great player?

I'll say my last piece about the balance of money vs credits, since the sides seem pretty entrenched:

Whether you think the amount of credits per pack is properly balanced or not isn't really particularly relevant. The fact is that money is involved in the system creates a conflict of interest in the game design. The competing interests are game balance and profit. Regardless of where you think they landed on that spectrum, the conflict is still there.

From a personal perspective, I feel like they've deliberately priced up the Spectre packs in credits to encourage the purchase of more of them with dollars. Of course, it's been demonstrated that even if you spend $100 on these packs, you still could end up with nothing particularly impressive, so it's possible that the design flaw is even deeper.

But all that being said, the game is still fun. I really enjoy this multiplayer, but I can't help but think about things that could have made this system that much better.

derFeef

divisionbyzorro, I would agree with all this if this would be competitive, but it's just coop fun and nothing really meaningful.

Cobra84

divisionbyzorro, I would agree with all this if this would be competitive, but it's just coop fun and nothing really meaningful.

It would be a hell of a lot more fun with a decent unlock system. N7 level 59 and my best 2 weapons are still the Mantis and Avenger? Anything I seem to unlock is worse than the upgraded versions of the basic guns or completely useless like smgs.

I'll say my last piece about the balance of money vs credits, since the sides seem pretty entrenched:

Whether you think the amount of credits per pack is properly balanced or not isn't really particularly relevant. The fact is that money is involved in the system creates a conflict of interest in the game design. The competing interests are game balance and profit. Regardless of where you think they landed on that spectrum, the conflict is still there.

From a personal perspective, I feel like they've deliberately priced up the Spectre packs in credits to encourage the purchase of more of them with dollars. Of course, it's been demonstrated that even if you spend $100 on these packs, you still could end up with nothing particularly impressive, so it's possible that the design flaw is even deeper.

But all that being said, the game is still fun. I really enjoy this multiplayer, but I can't help but think about things that could have made this system that much better.

No, a conflict of interest would be Eric Schmidt continuing to serve on the board of directors of Apple while head of a company that owns Android, a competing product.

"Game balance" and "profit" are NOT conflicts of interest. They're not even in the same stratosphere as a conflict of interest. First off, they're not even mutually exclusive, and don't "compete" with one another. How the heck are companies supposed to make money if maximizing "game balance" and maximizing "profit" are conflicts of interest? That makes no sense whatsoever. Game balance is a term used to evaluate if gameplay is fair, while profit is revenues minus expenses.

Man, the vindicator was such a fun weapon too...

I really do think they need to rebalance gold difficulty. Sometimes, depending on the wave and required task, it becomes impossible.

X-Frame

Anyone try out the buffed SMG's?

They were so pathetically weak beforehand I never even gave them a second look. It's amazing how much weaker ME3's Locust is compared to ME2's. Hopefully now they're similar.

DTKT

Reaper are such bullshit. Banshees and Brutes just dont mix well.

Add a couple of ravagers behind and you are fucked. They are damn accurate and have insane range.

Geth (with an quarian engineer) or Cerberus are fine.

Reaper are such bullshit. Banshees and Brutes just dont mix well.

Add a couple of ravagers behind and you are fucked. They are damn accurate and have insane range.

Geth (with an quarian engineer) or Cerberus are fine.

Amen, Banshee's barrier is retarded strong, and one-shotting in multiplayer just doesn't work.

You should at least be able to buy back in.

Really there's no timer? Am I supposed to wait in the lobby until the idiot that's hosting the game finds right trigger? This game is seriously starting to piss me off!!!

Balphon

Amen, Banshee's barrier is retarded strong, and one-shotting in multiplayer just doesn't work.

You should at least be able to buy back in.

Four or five biotic explosions from my Adept will kill a Banshee on gold.

The larger problem, however, is that I tend to get shot in the back by a half dozen cannibals while doing so.

DTKT

Four or five biotic explosions from my Adept will kill a Banshee on gold.

The larger problem, however, is that I tend to get shot in the back by a half dozen cannibals while doing so.

Yeah, then, because you are busy killing the Banshees and brutes. You have two dozen cannibals and Husks who are all fully armored.

It just doesn't work in Gold. You will have a much better time with Cerberus and the Geth. Way easier to CC, most of the (Guardian and Pyro) are really slow.

I spent an hour trying to play this game online. Whenever I join people that know what to do I get kicked right away because I'm level 1. In other cases I join and wait for 10 minutes with host not pressing ready button. Also I keep getting disconnected for no reason. And what's the worst I actually just paid for an online pass because my friend decided to use my code when I let him borrow the game over the weekend. I kind of hate Bioware now! They didn't put any thought into matchmaking!!! Also I hate Xbox Live community. A bunch of assholes!

Rokam

It amazes me that people don't understand simple concepts like that in the big glowing circle, get to the target and hack it. Lost a round because I was the only one doing the hacking and when I died the timer steadily went to 0 with no one even coming close to the machine.

Rokam

I don't know why I find it fun, it's the same shit over and over, but taking out a big group of enemies with a cluster grenade and seeing the spam of me killing it all is a pretty damn good feeling. Love the adept so much.

A lot of people are giving class strategies for people who are really good, but I am not that good in this game. I am usually 3rd in any team I join. I am about to hit 20 as a human soldier, so I will want to reset as a new character. What is a good class and spec for someone who has outgrown the basic solider, but still isnt a great player?

The Turian sentinel is a great class IMO with low maintenance. You spec Overload all the way first with Chan Overload, Neural Shock, and then Chain Overload. Then do Tech Armor with Durability, Power Damage, and Power Recharge. Then for Turian Veteran do Damage & Capacity, Power Damage, and the last one I guess can be with one, but I do Assualt Rifles. For Fitness do all all the health and shield related choices. Go with just an Assault rifle the Vindicator was hands down the best but they just nerfed I'd go with anything that has low muzzle climb I've got the Geth Pulse Rifle which is excellent in that regard. Turn on tech armor at the start of the match and just mash on the Overload button every time the cooldown is up. This build has good surviability and is pretty easy to play as. Try for headshots whenever you can.

Sober

Anyone try out the buffed SMG's?

They were so pathetically weak beforehand I never even gave them a second look. It's amazing how much weaker ME3's Locust is compared to ME2's. Hopefully now they're similar.
Shuriken is probably still the better for MP I find. Super light (or non-existent by level 10, especially as a human) and it doesn't climb like the Talon or is crappy at burst damage because it's full auto. Tempest is really unsatisfying to use right now (I have a level 4 one vs a level 10 shuriken though) though at least it comes with a ton of ammo. The Locust is just ... I don't think the buffs are enough.

Talon is basically a fire hose at full blast, Locust is low clip and weak (only advantage is almost no climb/recoil but at the cost of any damage). Tempest is passable if you have a high level one I guess.

Shuriken fires 6 rounds, climbs reasonably little. I have the increased ammo and heat sink so that's about 470+ rounds to fire off. Firing from cover produces almost no climb and the burst means you won't waste ammo. In silver a burst can do about 1-2 bars off of a shield or barrier, more if you or someone specced Warp to increase the target's damage. All the SMGs suck anyway, might as well use the Shuriken since it won't gimp your cooldown times.

bryanee

Just had a really good game against the Reapers. It was only on bronze but it was just me and one other guy. It was intense as hell in parts we managed to clear all 11 waves, the final wave was just the two of us running around the stage leading the enemies about whilst trying to take out a Banshee and Brute, really satisfying that was.

Have to say the random items/weapons system really bugs me, all I want is the Geth Pulse rifle and Black Widow but noooooooo I dont even get any characters no matter how many packs I buy.

buffs? what did I miss?

See here:

from BW boards posted 2 hours ago - sorry if posted here already

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
March 13, 2012
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tempest SMG
- Damage increased from [35.7-44.6] to [41.1-53.5]

Locust SMG
- Damage increased from [26.2-32.8] to [30.1-39.3]

Shuriken SMG
- Damage increased from [29.3-36.6] to [33.6-42.1]

Mattock Assault Rifle
- Damage increased from [83.7-104.7] to [94.2-117.8]

Vindicator Assault Rifle
- Damage decreased from [68.6-85.8] to [62.4-78.0]
- Encumbrance increased from [1.0-0.5] to [1.25-0.7]

Sabotage Power
- Damage from weapon backfire increased from 150 to 200
- Rank 4 weapon backfire damage bonus increased from 30% to 50%
- Maximum number of simultaneous hacked robots reduced from 2 to 1
- Base cooldown increased from 8 to 14 seconds
- Rank 5 cooldown bonus increased from 25% to 35%
- Base hack duration reduced from 12 to 10 seconds
- Rank 6 Berserk upgrade damage bonus reduced from 100% to 50%
- Delay before enemies can attack hacked robots increased from 2 to 8 seconds

Geth Trooper
- Weapon damage increased from 30 to 35
- (Bronze) Health increased from 750 to 825
- (Silver) Health increased from 1125 to 1238
- (Gold) Health increased from 1688 to 1856

Geth Pyro
- Damage of flamethrower increased from 50 to 65
- (Bronze) Shields increased from 750 to 1170
- (Silver) Shields increased from 1125 to 1755
- (Gold) Shields increased from 1688 to 2633
- (Silver & Gold) Evades less frequently from weapon damage
- (Silver & Gold) Evades less frequently from projectile powers

Geth Hunter
- Fixed a bug where Hunters would never re-cloak after decloaking to fire on Gold

- (Bronze) Health increased from 750 to 900
- (Bronze) Shields increased from 675 to 1013

- (Silver) Health increased from 1125 to 1350
- (Silver) Shields increased from 1013 to 1519
- (Silver) Movement speed modifier while cloaked increased from 75% to 90%

- (Gold) Health increased from 1688 to 2025
- (Gold) Shields increased from 1519 to 2278
- (Gold) Movement speed modifier while cloaked increased from 80% to 110%
- (Gold) Aim delay before firing decreased from 0.5 to 0.25 seconds

Geth Prime
- (Silver) Reduced chance to play hit reactions from 35% to 27.5%
- (Gold) Reduced chance to play hit reactions from 30% to 15%

Essentially they've nerfed Quarian Infiltrators into the ground and made Pyros and Hunters insanely more deadly

Violet_0

Banned
I spent an hour trying to play this game online. Whenever I join people that know what to do I get kicked right away because I'm level 1. In other cases I join and wait for 10 minutes with host not pressing ready button. Also I keep getting disconnected for no reason. And what's the worst I actually just paid for an online pass because my friend decided to use my code when I let him borrow the game over the weekend. I kind of hate Bioware now! They didn't put any thought into matchmaking!!! Also I hate Xbox Live community. A bunch of assholes!

did you switch from random difficulty to bronze? No one wants to play with a lvl 1 player on silver or gold.

Also, from my demo experience, it helps if you just constantly join and leave games until you find the right group. Don't waste your time waiting for the host or other players in the lobby.

DarkKyo

Yea feel the same way. Its still doable but you really need 4 people that are all working together, PUGs just refuse to use self rezes, heals and missiles :/

I've noticed that...

Also earlier today I tried a Gold-Geth match post-nerf and on the last objective round(wave 10) we killed all the Geth VIPs except for the last one which was a Pyro and he had to have like 10% life left when we all died. It was so fucking painful.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Wow, they nerfed the shit out of Sabotage huh? Is the Quarian Infiltrator even relevant anymore on Gold?

I feel like Human/Salarian Engineer, Salarian Infiltrator, and Turian Sentinels would be ideal now with the QI not even close to being as effective.

With these buffs I think we'll be switching favorite gold faction back to Cerberus like it was in the demo. Between the better pyros, better hunters, and nerfed to shit sabotage the Geth are probably harder to deal with. You can stasis everything except Atlas, whereas stasis doesn't work on pyro, prime, and can be hard to land on stealthed units.

Rather hamfisted balancing to buff the enemy and nerf your primary cc at the same time.

I've noticed that...

Also earlier today I tried a Gold-Geth match post-nerf and on the last objective round(wave 10) we killed all the Geth VIPs except for the last one which was a Pyro and he had to have like 10% life left when we all died. It was so fucking painful.

I don't know about other people, but I use medi-gels when I manage get left alone, everybody else is dead, I'm about the get stomped while down, or my timer is about to run out.

Pyro's hurt so bad now. I used to just laugh at them with my Vanguard not so much now.

my beauty quarian engineer is safe, phew.

Man geth getting dem buffs, I thought that I was going down faster when I played earlier... now I know why.

With these buffs I think we'll be switching favorite gold faction back to Cerberus like it was in the demo. Between the better pyros, better hunters, and nerfed to shit sabotage the Geth are probably harder to deal with. You can stasis everything except Atlas, whereas stasis doesn't work on pyro, prime, and can be hard to land on stealthed units.

Rather hamfisted balancing to buff the enemy and nerf your primary cc at the same time.

Welcome to Bioware's "balancing" strategy :/ But yea I think I'm gonna go back to murdering Cerberus. Really wish I could unlock Asari Adept so I can stop using the Asari Vanguard lol

X-Frame

Just got out of a game where this happened. I was an Asari Adept and was throwing stasis at everything that moved. When an Atlas came .. warped the shit out of it. The Asari is very deadly, and she's even more so when another biotic is on the team that can rapid fire biotic explosions after a stasis field is thrown.

Geth are definitely a lot more difficult but anything with Energy Drain or Overload are ideal. Spamming those still seems to cripple the Geth enough. A Turian Sentinel seems great as they also have Warp to deal with pyro's and primes.

I'm staying away from Reapers though.

Wow I got disconnected before the results screen.

Oh, so that's what happened to you. Dang man, so you didn't get XP or anything?

Console? PC top player is someone with an N7 rank of 2,200+.

Oh, yeah it's on 360. But that rank you posted is ridiculous! Wow, some people have no lives.

EDIT: Those buffs are really dumb, but at least the damage of the Mattock has been increased. I was wondering why it was destroying fools now.

Top Bottom