• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

Ikkarus

I won't lie, cloak is the only way I can even stay alive in multiplayer. I got pressing the panic button down to a science in the demo, to the point where I can't even play another class anymore. Dying is something that happens to other people :)

I'm pretty much the same, I like stasis as well on an asari but in silver and gold matches I basically heal the team when they fall. I can just bypass all the enemies, heal my team mate, re-cloak and get the hell out of there!

Infiltrator = Field Medic.

Arjen

I won't lie, cloak is the only way I can even stay alive in multiplayer. I got pressing the panic button down to a science in the demo, to the point where I can't even play another class anymore. Dying is something that happens to other people :)

It's just so much fun, running around cloacked trough a buch of enemys and revive a teammate or an objective.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm pretty much the same, I like stasis as well on an asari but in silver and gold matches I basically heal the team when they fall. I can just bypass all the enemies, heal my team mate, re-cloak and get the hell out of there!

That's how I've been using it too. I always love the medic roles so using it like that is a lot of fun for me.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

It's just so much fun, running around cloacked trough a buch of enemys and revive a teammate or an objective.
That's how I've been using it too. I always love the medic roles so using it like that is a lot of fun for me.

What order of powers did you guys assign and what weapons did you choose to use?
I've got a Quarian Infiltrator ready to start at level 3, but I've never used one before.

Arjen

I only got a Human Infiltrator :(
I got cloack maxed out choosing weapon/sniper damage headshot damage.
Frost maxed out, can't remember the paths.
Rest of the trees focussed as much on weapon damage as possible.
Sniper i got is a Black Widow, and as back up a pistol (hardly use that)

Melchiah

Is there any way to mute other players' voices on PS3? I haven't found a way through the game menus, and they're driving me nuts.

Ikkarus

What order of powers did you guys assign and what weapons did you choose to use?
I've got a Quarian Infiltrator ready to start at level 3, but I've never used one before.

I have both the Salarian and the Quarian Infiltrator classes. I would concentrate on levelling up Cloak first and then move on to Energy Drain (Salarian) or Sabotage (Quarian). Proximity mine and Sticky grenades can be left to last. If I am facing the Geth I will switch to the Quarian for anything else I use the Salarian, mostly because Energy Drain is a pretty useful skill.

As for weapons I only use the Sniper rifle. Since I equip the Widow (it weighs a tonne) I am forced to do this. If you don't have the Widow then equip the Mantis, you should be able to carry a heavy pistol too without going overweight.

Infiltrator and Adept are my go to classes in multiplayer.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I only got a Human Infiltrator :(
I got cloack maxed out choosing weapon/sniper damage headshot damage.
Frost maxed out, can't remember the paths.
Rest of the trees focussed as much on weapon damage as possible.
Sniper i got is a Black Widow, and as back up a pistol (hardly use that)

I have both the Salarian and the Quarian Infiltrator classes. I would concentrate on levelling up Cloak first and then move on to Energy Drain (Salarian) or Sabotage (Quarian). Proximity mine and Sticky grenades can be left to last. If I am facing the Geth I will switch to the Quarian for anything else I use the Salarian, mostly because Energy Drain is a pretty useful skill.

As for weapons I only use the Sniper rifle. Since I equip the Widow (it weighs a tonne) I am forced to do this. If you don't have the Widow then equip the Mantis, you should be able to carry a heavy pistol too without going overweight.

Cheers guys, I might use my Human Infiltrator first and get the hang of it before jumping in with a better race and using points carelessly.

TheExodu5

Banned

If you have the Quarian Infiltrator, spec her for Geth hacking. Seriously. Any time you run a Geth mission, use her and you'll be a major asset to the team.

Don't put more than 1 point into grenades. They may seem good on Bronze, but be warned that on higher difficulties, you only get 1 grenade per resupply so a lot of your grenade points get wasted.

Cheech

Is there any way to mute other players' voices on PS3? I haven't found a way through the game menus, and they're driving me nuts.

I'm actually shocked you have people talking during your games. On 360, it is pretty much tumbleweeds. Then again, on Bronze/Silver, communication isn't super important either.

eek5

If you have the Quarian Infiltrator, spec her for Geth hacking. Seriously. Any time you run a Geth mission, use her and you'll be a major asset to the team.

Don't put more than 1 point into grenades. They may seem good on Bronze, but be warned that on higher difficulties, you only get 1 grenade per resupply so a lot of your grenade points get wasted.

Grenades are great man. Their damage goes up with the power upgrades. In gold you can grab one every 45-1min and the ammo supply expendables will refill all of them. My stickies can take ~3 bars of armor off a prime and you can throw them from cloak without decloaking.

You just have to make a habit of hitting an ammo box mid-round instead of at the end of every round.

Melchiah

I'm actually shocked you have people talking during your games. On 360, it is pretty much tumbleweeds. Then again, on Bronze/Silver, communication isn't super important either.

Well, there actually wasn't. There was one or two players (might have been the same guy though, as I didn't check the username), who constantly put the mic on and off, and blabbered something incomprehensible.

Ikkarus

So should I just save up and buy spectre packs?

Really depends on what you're after. If it's new characters and rare guns then yes. But if you're looking to upgrade your already existing weapons or getting buffs I would opt for the veteran packs.

For some reason, multiplayer has decided to become completely borked for me. It worked fine the other day, but now I simply can't connect to a friends game regardless what combination we'll try to join in.

I get to the "Joining game..." screen and it fails to connect me. The kicker is that I'll actually take up a slot in the lobby while I'm connecting, meaning I can hear people over the mic, and no one else can join the game while I'm connecting. Once it craps out, my slot free's up and anyone can join the lobby.

I'm on PC btw, I've forwarded ports and looked for other solutions on the BioWare forums. As you'd expect, BioWare aren't saying jack, despite the fact that their are plenty of other folks with the same problem.

I think the problems people are having is that your definitions of fair and level are loose and selective.

Okay, explain to me how my definition of fair is loose and selective. In my example, every single player, regardless of how much Time or Money they have, are able to achieve that same 100 Spectre packs. Please explain to me how that is unfair.

While all groups may (theoretically) have access to all items, there are certainly some that have a tremendous advantage. The loot mechanics may be randomized, but they're still odds based and will work out in (the considerable) favor of someone who can buy 1000 Specter packs with $. This is by definition not a fair or level playing field, and I'm assuming you get that.

You're only looking at this from the Money angle. Reread your same statement and replace '$' with 'Time'. See how that works? Now let's compare players with no Money. That person that can play 10 hours a day (and no Money) will have way more of an advantage than a person that can only play 2 hours a day (and no Money). Going along those same lines, a person with no Money and no Time is at a severe disadvantage to all other players, while a person with lots of Money and lots of Time has advantages over *everyone*. We can agree on that right? Because it makes sense?

Time, patience, and interest are all finite, most people won't come close to getting all the items they'd like to have. People buying a lot of Specter packs with money probably will--or will have a much higher chance.

Much higher chance of what? Unlocking better items? No, we know that's not true because the system is entirely random. And again, substitute 'Money' for 'Time' and you get players with a heavy advantage of resources... like those players with an N7 rank of 135 like 3 days after the game released. They have a *heavy* Time advantage over normal players... and because of their abundance of Time, they are able to open more Spectre packs than most other players.

Another thing is your apparent assumption that money should be able to buy anything. Most people would disagree with that. Outright buying school degrees, sporting event placement, and advantages in things of that nature are almost universally and unanimously frowned upon (if not illegal).

Now you're putting words in my mouth... I did NOT say this. The variable Money I've been using has only been in the context of this game.... that's IT. And you're introducing far more complexity into this case than is needed; you're starting to delve into opportunity cost, fraud, marketing investment and I don't even know what. None of that has anything to do with monetization of Spectre packs.

Games are commonly viewed in the same light, something to be earned through skill and dedication--not money. You may not agree with that (i.e. "they're just videogames, who cares"), and that's fine, but this is the hole in your argument most people are disagreeing with.

"Skill" and "dedication" both imply advantages in Time. Why are Diablo II and World of Warcraft accounts sold for thousands of dollars? Why do people grind and grind to find loot and build these accounts solely for the purpose of selling? Because people with Time advantages sell them to people with Money advantages. Do you agree that there are people out there that love videogames but just don't have the time these days (because of kids/career/marriage/etc.) to invest the skill and dedication they were able to in the past? They love the same video games we all do, but they just don't have as much Time anymore... so if they're able to make up for it in Money, why not? Why not give them that chance? They're happy because they get to play with that Black Widow they wanted, but didn't have the Time to grind for... is that so wrong? The developers are happy, all types of players are happy.... isn't that a good thing?

What's funny is that ME3 multiplayer is strictly co-op... there's literally no competition whatsoever since credits and experience are shared equally at the end of each round. So you WANT your teammates to have the best possible items at all times because it means that YOU have a greater chance of success.

I get what you're saying about EA's stock tanking and this being free and easy money, but that's like saying a struggling Football franchise should buy their way into the Super Bowl with a billion dollar donation to the NFL.

Besides egregiously ignoring the actual structure of the NFL, that's not even a comparable analogy... at ALL. Even if you buy 1 million Spectre packs, if you've only got one hour a week to play then you won't know how to use ANY of what you unlocked.

And I find it hilarious how you just dismiss EA's stock tanking... not like EA or Bioware is going to disappear anytime soon, but game companies crash and burn all the time.

God forbid we give (fair) money to the companies whose games we love.

So should I just save up and buy spectre packs?

If you're just starting out, buy a handful of recruits to start. Once you can start beating bronze consistently, buy Veterans for a while, then when you can start beating Silver consistently start saving for Spectre. That's a natural progression that ensures you have enough equipment, mods, and weapons appropriate for your skill level.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

I imagine in terms of specializing cloak a Salarian should go with the ability to launch a power without decloaking over sniper damage, due to the usefulness of energy drain.

But what about Quarian? I just unlocked it, haven't played it, but wondering if hacking works so much better when cloaked or if I should go for the 40% sniper bonus instead.

Man, I can not seem to beat a silver mission, 3 times now We've gone down on the final objective (Generally pub games). Level 18 human engineer (specced for taking down heavy enemies, full incinerate/overload, takes down a brute in 5 incinerates or so, but if I get crowded in, or a couple of guardians I get fucked), or a level 19 human vanguard. I think I need to save those missiles so we can just cut a path to the objectives.

I think I need to save those missiles so we can just cut a path to the objectives.

That's exactly it. As much as possible, try to save as much of your equipment as possible for the final rounds, then at the end splurge like crazy. People may not like grenades because of the slower respawn time in Silver/Gold but they are AMAZING for extraction rounds (use those thermal clips!).

Also tip on grenades: don't use multiple ones in succession unless the situation is urgent. If you space your grenade usage out and remember to hit an ammo box periodically throughout the round, they can be extremely handy. And I believe if you don't use any for a few waves, even in Silver/Gold you can get two at once... but I would need someone to corroborate that.

I've been using grenades so much lately that I believe that Cluster Grenades (with Pull/Reave/pistol) actually give the Drell Adept the slightest of advantages over the Asari Adept (with Stasis/Throw/Warp/pistol). One awesome thing about Reave is that it gives damage reduction and it's continuous damage... so against a beast like Banshee if our team can't deal with it at the moment I'll Reave it then run so it'll at least prevent Barrier recharge that much longer... then make Reave hit-and-runs on it while our team concentrates on the rest of the enemies first.

I don't know if I've ever expressed my dislike in the soldier class in this thread, but I take it all back Adrenaline+Falcon+ Incendiary ammo is amazing. Stuff drops do fast.

Edit: And it's funny, people are so up-in-arms about these companies making money. These are the companies making these fantastic games! Why shouldn't we want them to have our money (provided it's given in a fair way) so they can make more fantastic games? I'm sure most people have heard about the used games issue, how the developers/publishers don't see a dime off of any of Gamestop's sales. How should these companies make up for the lost revenue? By inserting online codes with new copies and new revenue streams like buying Spectre packs. These are fair and ethical business practices that give money to the developers and publishers who make these fantastic games. (Contrast this versus the Prothean DLC and Razer accessories tie-ins, which I feel enter a gray area in terms of business ethics and I am personally against... however, buying Spectre packs do not enter that gray area and I am not against it).

And yet no one wants to comment on EA's stock performance that I brought up.

You're being a fanboy when you just want to throw your money at Bioware for making "fantastic games." Yes, I love the Mass Effect trilogy as well. It may be my favorite gaming franchise, but that doesn't mean I'm willing to throw money at them because I'm in love with their games. $60 is the standard price for games, lots of game companies make great games for that price (and they all deal with used sales as well, many without the benefit of a blockbuster franchise like Mass Effect). I feel no need to shower them with extra money. Make a good product, charge a reasonable price, and I'll buy it. Offering ridiculous multiplayer unlocks to milk more from your consumer base doesn't work for me.

And your continued discussion of EA's stock performance is your worst argument. A basic understanding of business practices would tell you that you don't simply raise prices and charge people more money simply because your company is performing well. We live in a free market, it's all about what the free market sets it at. If people are irate about a business practice which attempts to elicit more profit, that's not going to help the company, it will hurt it. You seem to come at this with some kind of pre-conceived notion that companies merely need to charge more for their product in order to make a larger product. That's not how business economics works in a free market.

Truly, your only solid argument is that paying to unlock content is optional. However, my counter argument has always been that, even though I choose not to exercise that option, the game I'm played has been altered due to Bioware's inclusion of optional unlocks for the purpose of maximizing profit.

Ikkarus

I imagine in terms of specializing cloak a Salarian should go with the ability to launch a power without decloaking over sniper damage, due to the usefulness of energy drain.

But what about Quarian? I just unlocked it, haven't played it, but wondering if hacking works so much better when cloaked or if I should go for the 40% sniper bonus instead.

It was super effective before EA nerfed it yesterday. However I tend to snipe everything and then resort to hacking in close quarters, or on a Geth Prime. :)

If you're quick you can cloak, then snipe and quickly hack afterwards, basically gaining two perks for one cool down.

Ultimately though it comes down to your play style.

Ken

You have the Black Widow and Javelin?

I wish I had your kind of luck. The best guns I have is the standard Widow, Carnifex (which I love) and the Geth Shotgun.

I still want to unlock the Asari Adept though. :(
I'm at 4 N7 weapons but I only like...1 of them.

I have the Javelin, Black Widow, Talon, and Wraith. I wouldn't worry about collecting N7 weapons; the Geth Plasma Shotgun is better than the Wraith shotgun, and depending on the person, the Widow is as good or better than the Javelin and B. Widow.

You're being a fanboy when you just want to throw your money at Bioware for making "fantastic games." Yes, I love the Mass Effect trilogy as well. It may be my favorite gaming franchise, but that doesn't mean I'm willing to throw money at them because I'm in love with their games. $60 is the standard price for games, lots of game companies make great games for that price (and they all deal with used sales as well, many without the benefit of a blockbuster franchise like Mass Effect). I feel no need to shower them with extra money. Make a good product, charge a reasonable price, and I'll buy it. Offering ridiculous multiplayer unlocks to milk more from your consumer base doesn't work for me.

Fanboy? Like I've said multiple times, this instance of monetization is fair and ethical business practice... and that the Prothean DLC and Razer tie-ins are *not*. How is that being a fanboy?

And like you say.... $60 is the fair price for you right? That's *your* utility curve, and that's entirely your right. But *your* utility curve isn't the same as the next person. What about for that player who wants to enjoy the unlocks but has no time? You still haven't addressed that yet. THAT is the demographic being targeted here. This is normal price differentiation and is a tried-and-true business application in every industry. It's the reason there are Android and Apple phones at different price points, why there are different SKU's for Xboxes and the same model car has different options on it. Price differentiation exists everywhere.

And your continued discussion of EA's stock performance is your worst argument. A basic understanding of business practices would tell you that you don't simply raise prices and charge people more money simply because your company is performing well.

And this shows how much you know about business. First off, EA is NOT doing well and is actually going counter to the industry and market in general. Second of all, this isn't an example of "raising prices." Yet again you're zeroing in on some specific aspect and not looking at the whole. The true price of ME3 multiplayer in this case is the price of the online code; you *cannot* access the product unless you have the code. For new game buyers this is packaged in the $60 cost; for used game buyers it's $10 or $15 or whatever it is for the code.

Remember, the Spectre packs are an *option*. You do not need to buy any packs with real money to enjoy ME3's multiplayer; because of this, it does not factor into the price. At that point, it becomes a unit of your personal utility curve... but people have different utility curves. Again, going back to the person that does not have as much Time to enjoy the game but still wishes to play it... why not let give him the same chance as the people with Time advantages? Honestly, I'm curious what your opinion is on this.

We live in a free market, it's all about what the free market sets it at. If people are irate about a business practice which attempts to elicit more profit, that's not going to help the company, it will hurt it.

Yes, this is entirely true... hence the Prothean DLC backlash, which I was also very vocal *against*. Note that there is no backlash against the Spectre pack purchases though? Think about it. The Prothean DLC locks people out of content that you can *only* access through Money... no matter what your Time resources are, if you don't invest Money, you CANNOT access this content. THAT is unfair. Hence the MASSIVE backlash.

Try this... try googling for any sort of Spectre pack monetization backlash from any reputable source (ie, not a forum). You won't find it, because the system makes sense and is fair. However, you'll find hundreds of articles on the Prothean backlash because that is *not* fair.

You seem to come at this with some kind of pre-conceived notion that companies merely need to charge more for their product in order to make a larger product. That's not how business economics works in a free market.

No, I don't; don't put words in my mouth. I believe in proper business using sound business ethics (hence why I'm for optional Spectre packs, but I'm *not* for the Prothean DLC). Bioware/EA is using tried-and-true price differentiation (used in pretty much any industry out there... targeting consumers willing to pay) to target those users that have more Money than Time. And doing it in a fair way, because they do not lock out content to those willing to invest more Time than Money.

An example of a way that this would be unfair? Imagine if there were "N7" packs that contained exclusive content, but you cannot buy this with credits. THAT is an unfair system that I would rail against.

Truly, your only solid argument is that paying to unlock content is optional.

Actually, not it's not.

However, my counter argument has always been that, even though I choose not to exercise that option, the game I'm played has been altered due to Bioware's inclusion of optional unlocks for the purpose of maximizing profit.

Actually, no it hasn't. Every time you open a Spectre pack through credits, you have the exact same chance to get XYZ item as the person who opened it through Money.

Rubezh

Promotion. Anyone tried it yet? I'm wondering if it permanently increases War Assets across all saves old and new or just ones.

Moofers

How do I upgrade my weapons in multiplayer? Is it not possible to permanently upgrade my assault rifle like in the campaign? All I'm seeing are the "one mission only" upgrades. I thought I read on here that somebody had their Avenger upgraded to a mark IV?

Also, I'm a lvl 18 Infiltrator and I have to say that I really love that class for the stealth power. There are a ton of us out there, but it does come in handy that I can run past enemies and complete objectives/heal teammates. Love that. Just wish I had a better sniper rifle and stronger assault rifle.

Ken

How do I upgrade my weapons in multiplayer? Is it not possible to permanently upgrade my assault rifle like in the campaign? All I'm seeing are the "one mission only" upgrades. I thought I read on here that somebody had their Avenger upgraded to a mark IV?

Also, I'm a lvl 18 Infiltrator and I have to say that I really love that class for the stealth power. There are a ton of us out there, but it does come in handy that I can run past enemies and complete objectives/heal teammates. Love that. Just wish I had a better sniper rifle and stronger assault rifle.
You have to "pull" the same weapon out of a pack again to get a +1.

The amount of fluff in booster packs is quite ridiculous.

To get all the customization options of a class model, you need to get it like, 4 times and models don't overlap. My Human Adept has all the customization options, but my Human Sentinel, who has the same armor model, doesn't.

I'm also assuming the XP bonus with character pulls is a way to justify them being gold pulls even if you've collected all the customization options for that class.

To get rank X, you need to pull the weapon ten times.

That's what that was. Drove me up the wall yesterday, I almost turned the sound off entirely.

same here. at first we thought it was just the stage but it kept happening to me. now i know.

My Human Sentinel is lv 16, I'm just taking her to 20 so I can make her a War Asset for the achievement. After that I'm torn on continuing with my lv 8 Drell Adept or firing up the Quarian Infiltrator, right now I'm thinking the latter.

Arjen

Regarding he money situation.
I bought a couple spectre packs with MS points for a couple reasons.

1) I wanted some good gear from the start
2) I don't have the time to grind for credits, my time is more valuable then those couple bucks.

2) I don't have the time to grind for credits, my time is more valuable then those couple bucks.

get anything good? I have yet to buy a Spectre pack, it's been all Veteran packs so far. I'm trying to gauge if they're worth it.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I was doing pretty terribly at being an Infiltrator till I got the cloak shooting followed by a roll away into cloak down, now I am quite enjoying it.

The mantis is a pain in the ass mind with the one shot that has a habit of missing NPCs that like to jump around, and the reloading animation stopping due to a slight gust of wind is starting to annoy me to no end.

Ken

I was doing pretty terribly at being an Infiltrator till I got the cloak shooting followed by a roll away into cloak down, now I am quite enjoying it.

The mantis is a pain in the ass mind with the one shot that has a habit of missing NPCs that like to jump around, and the reloading animation stopping due to a slight gust of wind is starting to annoy me to no end.
I'm not sure if this is worth anything, but when I'm sniping on my Infiltrator, as soon as you see your ammo counter return to 1, turn on your cloak and aim. It seems to cancel out the rest of the reload animation but I've not done anything scientific to test if it's actually saving me time.

meSchnitzel

Neo Member
What's funny is that ME3 multiplayer is strictly co-op... there's literally no competition whatsoever since credits and experience are shared equally at the end of each round. So you WANT your teammates to have the best possible items at all times because it means that YOU have a greater chance of success.

I'm glad someone else sees it that way. Ive been wondering why everyone thought other people had an "advantage" when in reality it helps you if they want to drop some cash.

Unlocked Asari Vanguard last night, first new race/class combo after a number of vet and spectre packs. Now to learn how to play it haha

Thank you. The value of one person's unit of Time is not the same value as the next person's unit of Time... just like the value of one person's unit (dollar) of Money is not the same as the next person's unit (dollar) of Money.

DarkKyo

Thank you. The value of one person's unit of Time is not the same value as the next person's unit of Time... just like the value of one person's unit (dollar) of Money is not the same as the next person's unit (dollar) of Money.

Do you work for EA? I don't know why you are thanking him for spending his own money on a product you didn't create.

Do you work for EA? I don't know why you are thanking him for spending his own money on a product you didn't create.

What are you talking about? I'm thanking him because he illustrated exactly my point: to him, a unit of Time is more valuable than a unit of Money. The Spectre pack option allows him to save his more valuable Time by trading his (relative to himself) less valuable Money.

it's called reinforcing a point. note the argument he's been having with TangoAlphaLima for the last, what, 2 pages?

fwiw, I agree with walbert smith. bought one spectre pack with $$, bought a couple more with credits. Saving up for one from bronze runs takes a long time, but I imagine it takes far less time on silver once you can reliably clear it.

Why?

Honestly, Stasis is probably my least used anything across all of the Mass Effect games.

Are you kidding? Stasis bubble is a necessity for gold matches, only thing it cant freeze is armor. Its way better than singularity and helps the snipers on your team

Side note, anyone having a ton of issues getting into games since yesterday (PC). Having to wait forever to find one and often times, the lag is horrible. I had a bug in one match where the game wouldnt let me pick up any ammo for about 4 rounds...

Top Bottom