• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm not sure how spamming recruit packs increases odds for Veteran/Spectre packs when they still have consumables to pull from for the proportion of packs that will end up as common items. How does that increase the frequency of uncommon/rare/ultra-rare anyways?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm not sure how spamming recruit packs increases odds for Veteran/Spectre packs when they still have consumables to pull from for the proportion of packs that will end up as common items. How does that increase the frequency of uncommon/rare/ultra-rare anyways?
You basically want to spam them until all the common weapons and weapon mods are at level X and V respectively. You might want to also spam them so that you unlock all the customizations for all the human characters, but that might be overkill.

The reason you do that is once you max out a gun or a mod, the RNG won't be able to pick one of those cards for you. You basically increase the odds of getting a silver or a gold card by virtue of having a smaller pool of cards that the RNG can choose from.

Presumably, if someone maxes out all the gold weapons, then getting the ultra rares would be that much easier. Either that, or you get a ton of respecs and +1 capacity upgrades.

Ken

You basically want to spam them until all the common weapons and weapon mods are at level X and V respectively. You might want to also spam them so that you unlock all the customizations for all the human characters, but that might be overkill.

The reason you do that is once you max out a gun or a mod, the RNG won't be able to pick one of those cards for you. You basically increase the odds of getting a silver or a gold card by virtue of having a smaller pool of cards that the RNG can choose from.

Presumably, if someone maxes out all the gold weapons, then getting the ultra rares would be that much easier. Either that, or you get a ton of respecs and +1 capacity upgrades.
Is it confirmed that you can no longer get dupes of human characters if you get all customization options? I assumed the worst that they included the XP bonus with characters to justify keeping them in even the selection pool even if you have all the options.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is it confirmed that you can no longer get dupes of human characters if you get all customization options? I assumed the worst that they included the XP bonus with characters to justify keeping them in even the selection pool even if you have all the options.
Ah, no. I just assumed that once you max out a character's customizations, you wouldn't get those cards any more. I've only maxed out a couple of humans, so I haven't been keeping track.

Chocobro

Now that I think about it, the recruit pack has been giving me dupes of human characters even when I got all of the customization unlocks. So I suppose that even if you maxed out your common weapons and mods from the recruit, you'd get the character cards?

It felt I was getting better stuff because I used to save up for spectre packs and I usually got a rare + common. I bought a couple of spectre packs after my silver/gold rounds and got rare + uncommon for most of them. I could have just got lucky I guess? I'll see how this all goes when I have more time to play.

Ken

Now that I think about it, the recruit pack has been giving me dupes of human characters even when I got all of the customization unlocks. So I suppose that even if you maxed out your common weapons and mods from the recruit, you'd get the character cards?

It felt I was getting better stuff because I used to save up for spectre packs and I usually got a rare + common. I bought a couple of spectre packs after my silver/gold rounds and got rare + uncommon for most of them. I could have just got lucky I guess? I'll see how this all goes when I have more time to play.
I have to assume that's why they included the XP bonus with character cards: to be filler cards once you've run out of mods and weapons.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Yeah, I think that makes the odds go up for getting better cards in the Spectres. Certainly I've gotten two gold cards a few times after spamming Recruit packs.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Interesting. I'll give this a shot I think.

Flunkie

Banned
So multiplayer is pleasantly satisfying. Only thing that does not gel with me is consumables. I hate consumables. I always feel like I have to save it all and never end up using them. They don't necessarily detract anything from the gameplay, they just seem so prevalent that it's annoying.

Also, starting out fresh sucks as it takes forever to find a game that someone doesn't boot me in.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So multiplayer is pleasantly satisfying. Only thing that does not gel with me is consumables. I hate consumables. I always feel like I have to save it all and never end up using them. They don't necessarily detract anything from the gameplay, they just seem so prevalent that it's annoying.

Also, starting out fresh sucks as it takes forever to find a game that someone doesn't boot me in.
That's the strange side effect with consumables. I never use health packs unless money is on the line... and even then, only on Gold. The fact that all of them are random means you never know if you'll be able to replace what you use on a mission.

Also, because people are so focused on winning, they boot low level players who will probably be more of a liability than a help.

I don't want to comment on the "debate", since I don't really care either way, but it's interesting to see how the reward system has shaped the way people play a game like this.

Interesting. I'll give this a shot I think.
Yeah, it's totally worth it. Presumably, you can spam Veteran packs too, but that seems to be a much bigger sacrifice if you don't want any of the silver weapons (which I don't :( ).

Played my Quarian Engineer tonight, man is the Sentry Turret useless. I hope they give Quarian's something better since they're the rare Engineer.

Enlighten me, please. :)

You head-butt them and they die.

On the other hand, the reactor level has some bugged spawns that can cause problems. I've had several games vs Cerberus where the game has had to be abandoned because a mob glitched and got stuck halfway down, where they were completely invincible.

It's a very nasty bug that needs to be fixed actually. Similarly they need to fix some issues with mobs not being synced properly between the host & client so they appear to be in the wrong place.

You can kill the bugged enemies with any power, they're just immune to bullets. The out of synch mobs is my biggest headache, I die very often to Banshee's despite being 10 feet away.

Hrm, I've got to try that sometime. What's the match-up against Cerberus? It's probably more an emphasis on being able to do high damage to armor at that point?

I like hoarding those thermal packs though. lol

Yeah, Cereberus is all about armor, which is much easier to break down then barriers. Plus their one hit kill melee unit isn't a glitchy screaming bitch.

GorillaJu

Trying out gold and its a mess. Haven't gotten past wave 1. Always a complete newb in the game who goes off and dies as soon as they spawn. Nice!

Chocobro

I have two questions.

Anyone else's stasis + warp / throw or even the warp + throw biotic detonation wonky at times? Sometimes it won't go off until the 2nd or 3rd throw hits the target. It happens often enough to almost get me killed when I needed to explosion to occur.

When fighting the phantoms, why do they sometimes break out of stasis after being frozen for like <2s and taken no damage?

Balphon

I have two questions.

Anyone else's stasis + warp / throw or even the warp + throw biotic detonation wonky at times? Sometimes it won't go off until the 2nd or 3rd throw hits the target. It happens often enough to almost get me killed when I needed to explosion to occur.

That happens to me too, but it seems to be a result of lag and/or the enemy's dodge animation not playing properly. Likewise, someone else using a tech power on the target between your warp/stasis and throw seems to prevent a detonation from happening most of the time.

When fighting the phantoms, why do they sometimes break out of stasis after being frozen for like <2s and taken no damage?

Debuffs have a lower duration on Phantoms and other higher-echelon enemies. Plus, there's diminishing returns on multiple casts.

Woo-Fu

Banned

Diminishing returns. Somebody hit them with stasis once or twice before you did, now it does next to nothing.

Makes it hard to solo without stealth. ;)

I've played all the classes now, gotten 4 up to level 20 and promoted them. Seems to me that the best class is the Engineer. My Salarian Engineer fucked up just about everything that came at him. The worst may be the soldier (which is odd for me because that's the class I destroy the single player game on). The most annoying class is the Vanguard. When playing with one they seem to have two purposes: 1) Taking my kills and 2) Dying.

Does anyone have any problem when starting the MP section in the PS3 version? Framerate makes a huuuuuge drop and have to wait like 1 minute for it to recover just so I can play...

Nori Chan

GOD DAMN IT MOTHERFUCKING PIECE OF SHIT DICK LICKING OSDFOIERWHT243O5R43TOU34OI

I HAVE EVERY CHARACTER EXCEPT A DRELL AND THAT'S THE ONLY SPECIES I WANT

TheExodu5

Banned
Krogan Sentinel pure melee is glorious.

Unlocked the Geth Shotgun tonight which is awesome. I'm taking this over my sniper rifle for my Infiltrator now...it's deadly accurate at long range anyways.
Just unlocked the Geth Plasma Rifle...not sure if that's any good.

Played my Quarian Engineer tonight, man is the Sentry Turret useless. I hope they give Quarian's something better since they're the rare Engineer.

Tell me about it. Worst skill in the game.

McNum

So, just starting out, what class would you recommend?

I'm thinking Infiltrator or Engineer, maybe Sentinel if that's as survivable as I think it is. In TF2 I like Heavy, Sniper, and Scout, but without a Krogan, I think Heavy is off the table for now.

Could go Soldier, too, but Soldier is kind of... boring. I'd like something a bit more tank-ish. Is there a class everyone is happy to see join a game?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Geth Plasma Rifle is useless, at least at lvl 3 on Silver.

It is useless at every level. Can be good for laughs playing as a Turian Soldier, though.

The high RoF/low damage weapons are supposed to have a purpose in stripping shields/barriers and keeping them stripped but biotics do the job much easier and don't weigh anything.

So, just starting out, what class would you recommend?

I'm thinking Infiltrator or Engineer, maybe Sentinel if that's as survivable as I think it is. In TF2 I like Heavy, Sniper, and Scout, but without a Krogan, I think Heavy is off the table for now.

Could go Soldier, too, but Soldier is kind of... boring. I'd like something a bit more tank-ish. Is there a class everyone is happy to see join a game?

Engineer is probably best base class for human and as somebody starting it is a good pick because you don't need good weapons. Soldier is kind of crap until you get good weapons and even when you have them the playstyle is pretty boring.

Tell me about it. Worst skill in the game.

Sentry turret isn't bad, it just takes really good map/enemy knowledge to know where to place it to best effect.

As far as bad skills go Tech Armor is much, much worse than sentry turret. It encourages two playstyles that aren't effective in the game. If so many of the attacks weren't percentage-based perhaps tech armor would be better, at least for tanking. It'd still be hopeless for melee/PBAoE builds. It doesn't matter how much shield you have if attack X removes 100% shield.

Somebody should make a PSA about Tech Armor, it'd feature somebody running around with it turned on the entire round and be subtitled, "Don't Be This Guy", and then it would go on to explain about how much of your damage comes from abilities, abilities with really bad cooldowns while tech armor is enabled.

McNum

What does an Engineer do, anyway? Spam Overload and summon drones? I take it this type of character won't pop out of cover much.

Woo-Fu

Banned
What does an Engineer do, anyway? Spam Overload and summon drones? I take it this type of character won't pop out of cover much.

Spam overload, use incinerate on bosses/reapers(works really good vs. all reapers, think they have a weakness).

What you do with drones will depend on how you spec them(if at all). If you don't put a lot of points in them, just use them as flank protection. Drop it behind you, if you hear it fighting/dying you know you're getting flanked.

If you spec them for a bit of survivability they make an OK tank/distraction. They're particularly good at holding Banshees and Phantoms in place long enough for you to lay on some headshots.

McNum

Spam overload, use incinerate on bosses/reapers(works really good vs. all reapers, think they have a weakness).

What you do with drones will depend on how you spec them(if at all). If you don't put a lot of points in them, just use them as flank protection. Drop it behind you, if you hear it fighting/dying you know you're getting flanked.

If you spec them for a bit of survivability they make an OK tank/distraction. They're particularly good at holding Banshees and Phantoms in place long enough for you to lay on some headshots.
Ah, right. If it has Shields, overload it, if it has Armor or Health, incinerate it. Let the drone cover blind angles. Spec for recharge with a pistol or light SMG. I think I got it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Somebody should make a PSA about Tech Armor, it'd feature somebody running around with it turned on the entire round and be subtitled, "Don't Be This Guy", and then it would go on to explain about how much of your damage comes from abilities, abilities with really bad cooldowns while tech armor is enabled.
The Krogan Sentinel is fun to play though. :(
Wrex SMASH.

If an Adept is on the team, the go afk, since anything they do an Adept does better. Tech bursts aren't half as good as biotic bursts, and they are also harder to trigger. They're supposed to be a more damage-oriented power class(Basically, they're supposed to be what Adepts are right now)

The Salarian engineer is a special case, Energy drain helps with survivability, and decoy bugs out enemy AI sometimes.

It is useless at every level. Can be good for laughs playing as a Turian Soldier, though.

The high RoF/low damage weapons are supposed to have a purpose in stripping shields/barriers and keeping them stripped but biotics do the job much easier and don't weigh anything.

Engineer is probably best base class for human and as somebody starting it is a good pick because you don't need good weapons. Soldier is kind of crap until you get good weapons and even when you have them the playstyle is pretty boring.

Sentry turret isn't bad, it just takes really good map/enemy knowledge to know where to place it to best effect.

As far as bad skills go Tech Armor is much, much worse than sentry turret. It encourages two playstyles that aren't effective in the game. If so many of the attacks weren't percentage-based perhaps tech armor would be better, at least for tanking. It'd still be hopeless for melee/PBAoE builds. It doesn't matter how much shield you have if attack X removes 100% shield.

Human Vanguard is best Vanguard.

Tech armor is an awesome latent. 40% damage reduction and 30% melee damage bonus. They also just doubled the damage Tech Armor explosions deal. A Sentinel is the most survivable class after Vanguard charge spam.

The Salarian engineer is a special case, Energy drain helps with survivability, and decoy bugs out enemy AI sometimes.

The decoy is basically a wall. Throw it up in front of a group of enemies and they simply will not move past it. A team that deploys multiple decoys can dominate hack/activation objectives and extractions on gold.

And the decoy is basically an insta-win against any big enemy. I've effortlessly solo'd Geth Primes and Atlases on gold with it.

Mr2day

So for my salarian infiltrator's energy drain, when the variants say stuff like "increase shield regeneration rate when draining shields, barriers, and energy from synthetics," is the energy from synthetics part seperate? Like would it still apply if I drain a phantom's barriers?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Tech armor is an awesome latent. 40% damage reduction and 30% melee damage bonus. They also just doubled the damage Tech Armor explosions deal. A Sentinel is the most survivable class after Vanguard charge spam.

On paper, not in practice.

In practice it is not awesome because of the global increase in cooldowns. Unfortunately you can't win a match just by hitting 'f' over and over again. Melee as a primary damage source is permanently in the backseat due to being single target, 0 range.

The most survivable class is Infiltrator, easily. The answer is called "not getting hit" in the first place because they don't see you when you're out of cover.

The tech armor players are always at the bottom of of the scoreboard in every match I've played. Perhaps I'm just not running across those tech armor fans who have figured out the magic approach but you'd think that somewhere between 0 and 400 N7 level I'd have run across at least one of them?

Of course a large part of this is that the game mechanics don't reward the types of play tech armor encourages. Which is why I think it is a horrible skill in practice, regardless of how good it looks on paper.

Ah, right. If it has Shields, overload it, if it has Armor or Health, incinerate it.

Overload will give you staggers against just about any non-boss and can be specced for damage vs. biologics so don't limit it to just stripping shields/barriers and pissing off Geth/Atlas/Turrets. Can also cause damage to things that fire weapons, though I haven't paid much attention to how that works/how useful it is. If it is ready to go, use it. ;)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I got a couple silver wins against reapers. Are you supposed to get the reward later? Because I didn't get anything yet.

I've been using the Salarian Engineer the whole time. Incinerate with low cooldown to pretty much destroy Brutes and Ravagers, Energy Drain to wipe out the Marauder Shield, and Decoy to delay Banshees and Husks works pretty damn well. I only have the initial point in Decoy as well, the thing lasts a good while considering that. I need to get a lot more weapon drops so I'm just investing in a ton of recruit packs for now.

Banshees make everyone scatter around, but Ravagers seem like what really kill the teams. I've been making them a priority.

Mr2day

I got a couple silver wins against reapers. Are you supposed to get the reward later? Because I didn't get anything yet.

I've been using the Salarian Engineer the whole time. Incinerate with low cooldown to pretty much destroy Brutes and Ravagers, Energy Drain to wipe out the Marauder Shield, and Decoy to delay Banshees and Husks works pretty damn well. I only have the initial point in Decoy as well, the thing lasts a good while considering that. I need to get a lot more weapon drops so I'm just investing in a ton of recruit packs for now.

Banshees make everyone scatter around, but Ravagers seem like what really kill the teams. I've been making them a priority.

All rewards will unlock on Tuesday, March 20 at 5pm PST. You’ll have seven days to redeem your packs in the multiplayer store menu, at which point, the packs will expire and cannot be restored.

McNum

I think I'll just go read up on what class can do what in the game. See if anything looks interesting. It's the summoner part of Engineer that interests me the most, to be honest.

In practice it is not awesome because of the global increase in cooldowns. Unfortunately you can't win a match just by hitting 'f' over and over again. Melee as a primary damage source is permanently in the backseat due to being single target, 0 range.

The most survivable class is Infiltrator, easily. The answer is called "not getting hit" in the first place because they don't see you when you're out of cover.

The tech armor players are always at the bottom of of the scoreboard in every match I've played. Perhaps I'm just not running across those tech armor fans who have figured out the magic approach but you'd think that somewhere between 0 and 400 N7 level I'd have run across at least one of them?

Of course a large part of this is that the game mechanics don't reward the types of play tech armor encourages. Which is why I think it is a horrible skill in practice, regardless of how good it looks on paper.

I don't consider "Cloaking and hiding in a corner" as survivability. I've seen a few high level play sentinels. Usually with the AR grenade launcher. Realistically though, some of the class/race combos are just miles ahead of others, so why should you see the crappy ones?

Game really needs a balancing patch.

clockpunk

As a Turian Sentinal player (still awaiting Quarian Ibfiltrator unlock :-/), I'm afraid I take issue with this. Perhaps it is just the randoms I'm teamed with, but my Tech Armour is always enabled throughout entire matches. Combined with a Geth Plasma Shotgun and Overload... I usually place 1st or 2nd in bronze, and 2nd or 3rd on silver - never been in the last position since hitting level 10.

Different strokes, and all that.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I don't consider "Cloaking and hiding in a corner" as survivability. I've seen a few high level play sentinels. Usually with the AR grenade launcher. Realistically though, some of the class/race combos are just miles ahead of others, so why should you see the crappy ones?

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mas...n-/Multiplayer-Balance-Changes-9544143-1.html

You don't hide in a corner with stealth, that is just it, you can go anywhere on the map, you'r e not tied to cover like everybody else.

I use the Falcon on my sentinel, and I do great with it, without having a single point in tech armor. The magic is the Falcon, not the Sentinel, and certainly not tech armor. With Falcon and maxed out overload you have permanent interrupt on any non-boss character, allowing you to just keep hitting them till they're dead. Since the Falcon---overload can be multi-target too---is also AoE you can do be doing this to a group instead of just one target which means more than you could possibly do with a melee focus.

Falcon is great on any character who knows where the spawnpoints in the map are. :) Use it for the first few levels on any class before you have your good skills, stick with it on some sentinel/engineer/soldier builds.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yay, just did it. Reapers, Silver, on Noveria. Utterly killed it. Human infiltrator for me, coupled with a soldier, and a Salarian infiltrator and Salarian engineer. We all worked ridiculously well together, scoreboard near equal between us all, but there's no doubt in my mind the Salarians absolutely killed it. Everything was either frozen or burning.

As an infiltrator I usually only die in three situations:

Decryption, where I try to help out and get the bar going faster. Also, I can hide in the circle while others have to run away.

Trying to bail somebody else out.

And occasionally (and embarassingly) when somebody sneaks up on me before I cloak, or when I'm between cloaks.

The biggest problem is that I like to run all over the map and pick guys off, so when I do die I'm often not in a position to be revived.

I also find Inflitrator to be a blast.

Trying to play as a Drell adept because it seems to be amazing if you are good at it, but I don't really love it. Also I probably just am not very good with it yet.

To Exodu5:
I find that the Geth Rocket troopers hit me a ton, even when cloaked. It might be a bug.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Honestly, I like Tech Armor because it gives me license not to worry about weight limits. Just walk around with a Widow and a heavy shotgun and wreck stuff from a distance before closing in to shotty everything. Entering Rage mode is just a nice side effect.

Overload will give you staggers against just about any non-boss and can be specced for damage vs. biologics so don't limit it to just stripping shields/barriers and pissing off Geth/Atlas/Turrets. Can also cause damage to things that fire weapons, though I haven't paid much attention to how that works/how useful it is. If it is ready to go, use it. ;)

I'm gonna weigh in as somebody who use tech armor on the Turian sentinel. I'm almost always top spot in all the three modes bronze, silver, and gold.I spend the whole match with it on and spam Overload non-stop. On occasion I've ranked second with Vanguard in first on silver and bronze matches. I also used to sometimes place second against Quarian infiltrators on Geth waves. Its worth noting that unlike the vast majority of players I don't ever let my power recharge rate drop below 150% except my human infiltrator. I also don't use it as an excuse to get close I spend most the match behind cover using a Vindicator.

I've said before in this thread, but I'm almost 100% sure at this point that a tech armor speced to strengthen your abilities through the damage boost and lower recharge penalty is better then having no tech armor at all. I have no proof of this, but it sure feel this way.

In regards to the Falcon that thing is way too heavy for an ability reliant class. The only class I've ever had much success using it with is the soldier. I guess the Drell adept would work since most of my kills with him come from cluster grenades, but I've yet to settle on a build I like so I wouldn't say anything definitive yet with them.

GorillaJu

I've seen Krogan Soldiers tear up Silver missions with the Falcon.

I guess the Drell adept would work since most of my kills with him come from cluster grenades

Interesting. Almost everything is a Reave kill for me. AOE reave is incredible.

I've seen Krogan Soldiers tear up Silver missions with the Falcon.

Notice I mention soldiers as good with it :p. Since the Krogan soldier is so in turn is the Krogan Sentinel. I still haven't bothered to go into a gold match with one though. As awesome as Rage is I don't know if it gives enough survivability.

McNum

Well, did a few matches as my Human Engineer. I kind of feel like a third wheel, although when the team is three level 17+ and my level 5 on a Bronze match I probably shouldn't be surprised.

My main contribution so far looks to be smacking a Combat Drone in the way of or behind the enemy. Even distracted some Brutes like that. Well that and spamming Incinerate or Overload depending on the enemy. Are the rockets good on the Drone, by the way? Since I made it explosive, I don't think more shields is a good thing. It's a grenade that shoots you the way I use it, at least.

Still need to figure out what weapon to bring. Got that M-5 pistol from a Veteran Pack that I bought with the 80 points I had just sitting there since who knows when, which seems okay.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Hosts who do something boneheaded, die, then don't get revived because they're out in the middle of nowhere and then QUIT shouldn't be allowed to host again.

Meanwhile nobody else reconnects to new host except me and I get to finish round 6 and then do the rest of the match solo as a lvl 5 Sentinel. Cost me a medigel and 3 launchers to finish but I did it. Reapers aren't too bad solo since they don't have any invisible units, long as you've got a map big enough to do a loop on.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
The Spectre packs continued to be good to me last night, except for what I really want (KROGAN!) - and it still supports my theory that I came up with that worked for me since the demo, because I was tearing it up all of last night with the Drell Adept, and saved up 140,000 credits, and the first Spectre Pack got me a Drell Vanguard, and the second one the Asari Adept, which are basically the two characters that combine to give you a Drell Adept.

Also good is that I got the Sniper piercing mod too, so I can throw that on my Widow to get multi-kills even easier now, nice. Everything is ready for a Krogan except for a Claymore, and the Krogan itself... :(

It's funny that I have all of the best characters in the game to tear it up on Gold (Salarian Engineer, Asari Adept, Quarian Engineer) with their "magical doo-dads", but all I really want is to smash the shit out of my enemies with pure Krogan brute strength, preferably with the 1600 shield, 1200 health of a monster tank with the most durability by FAR, not even counting the HUGE damage reduction bonuses and melee boosts - the Krogan Sentinel.

Shit, just give me ANY Krogan.

Well, at least now even when I'm solo, I have a hell of a better chance to carry people in Gold with the Stasis bubble (already had Asari Vanguard but don't mess with her too much), it's so rare to find good strangers on Silver. Gonna go hard for credits for the first time today I think, all I've doing so far is ranking up lower characters.

Top Bottom