• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

Orgun

Is there anything that prevents you from playing a Krogan Sentinel like this? Too fragile, I guess. This looks fun, but I don't have the Krogan soldier yet.

Not sure, I haven't touched the Sentinel class yet. This guy I spec'd so he would get massive bonuses to melee damage and Fortification bonuses.

Currently messing around with a Human vanguard that only uses a Pistol...well has a Pistol. Doesnt really get to use it much as i'm just warping everywhere.

Recarpo

This is interesting because I only use pistols and ARs and I've been only getting pistols and ARs in packs. Hmm

Then again I did get Salarian Infiltrator twice even though I'd never played Infiltrator

I've never used a shotgun and I have a katana 7 and a claymore 5 and it seems a couple of buddies I play with get weapons they will never use too, so I don't know how you guys are getting the weapons you're using all the time.

Last night I tried using a vanguard, human, seriously for the first time and holy hell is that thing powerful. Played with just my wife, also a human vanguard, and we slaughtered geth on silver with just the two of us. Since the geth mobs move so slowly and are grouped up so closely we just followed each other around and charged/nova'd everything. Amazing fun.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't know if it's increasing my odds, but spamming Recruit packs sure does feel awesome to get some instant reward instead of waiting like 4 games to get very little.

Also:

So do you guys always opt for chain overload over the massive damage boost for crowd control or what?
Anyone?

Mrninjaman

Neo Member
I'm not even sure I'm playing my Drell adept right. I guess you just find an unarmored target, throw and then reave. Or I guess reave followed by cluster? Or just reave and somebody else can detonate that with like overload or something?

It just seems like the enemies aren't clustered close enough to do damage, and the damage to big enemies is almost nil.

My score isn't that high, but I only have Clusters at 1 and Pull at 4, so maybe that will improve.
What level are you playing on? I did a couple games at silver and it was really rough at first, the drell is super squishy so I really needed to learn to stay far away from combat. Also when starting out you damage just isn't good enough to hang in silver. Although I just did a couple games in bronze and wrecked face in that game. one combo would kill any un-shielded/armored enemy. also the explosion would seriously hurt anyone nearby, I ended up with about double the next highest scorer (for reference with my other goto classes I'm usually 3rd or so) anyways here is how I generally fight.

for unarmored unsheilded enemies my basic MO is throw-reave it does some massive damage and also has a DOT i think. If you see a good clump of stuff I reave(which has an AoE splash now) and then cluster them, can take out the whole group.
Right now against foes with shields or armor I just spam reave and nades when I have them.

Hope this helps, I'm pretty new to this class too but hopefully some of the others will chime in and offer tips too

rozay

Banned
Chain overload on a Turian Sentinel (or human engineer)-Lower recharge speed or incapacitation?

The latter is helpful but it also seems like it makes it harder to kill grunts when shooting from far away because I can't hit their torso when they're on the ground.
That's dumb.
Respec cards are rares I think, but they don't seem to be so hard to get? I already have 2 and I haven't played much.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Maybe not solo. But this guy looks like he still charging and blowin shit up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPl_0ZWANDU
My problem with Vanguard has always been the lag. On higher difficulties, taking extra hits while the game decides whether or not you are actually in a charge has led to stupid situations where I die in the middle of a charge.

On Bronze and Silver, you can still take extra hits while the game decides whether or not you can Charge/Nova. On Gold, it's much dicier.

rozay

Banned
My problem with Vanguard has always been the lag. On higher difficulties, taking extra hits while the game decides whether or not you are actually in a charge has led to stupid situations where I die in the middle of a charge.

On Bronze and Silver, you can still take extra hits while the game decides whether or not you can Charge/Nova. On Gold, it's much dicier.
It's really annoying when you die before the game lets you charge, whenever this happens I get bugged off the map =__=

Do any of you take the melee bonuses in Fitness over the health/shields and faster shield recharge? I didn't in the beta but I'm wondering if it's necessary for silver and gold.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's really annoying when you die before the game lets you charge, whenever this happens I get bugged off the map =__=

Do any of you take the melee bonuses in Fitness over the health/shields and faster shield recharge? I didn't in the beta but I'm wondering if it's necessary for silver and gold.
My original strategy was Charge -> Nova -> Pistol -> Nova -> Charge (I found that the lag makes it so that I can't double Nova effectively), so I specced for all health/shields for a bit more durability. On Bronze, it works wonders against any enemy outside of the Banshee and her one hit kill (charging into a grab is sometimes funny) and on Silver/Gold it works if the netcode is co-operating with me on that round.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Is there anything that prevents you from playing a Krogan Sentinel like this? Too fragile, I guess. This looks fun, but I don't have the Krogan soldier yet.

Krogan Sentinel can do even better since it's the strongest character in the game if you max out your damage reduction with Tech Armor, which is 40%.

Kenaras

Always get the first Chain Overload at rank 4. For rank 6, both options are good; the second Chain Overload gives you extremely powerful crowd control, while Shield Damage allows you to instantly strip shields/barriers from the tougher enemies on higher difficulties. I prefer Shield Damage, but it depends on which roles you're covering for your group.

Wow, I didn't expect multiplayer to be this addictive. I've played a lot as salarian engineer and quarian infiltrator (shotgun), both are a blast. Today I got the Asari Adept, specced her for max warp/throw and proceeded to rip brutes and banshees to shreds... and got accused of hacking. By a krogan soldier who was headbutting everything to oblivion until he hit a banshee.

I'm still a bit unclear on the best spawn control practices. We had a really good 2+2 team going in firebase Glacier, with one pair on the stairs and the other overlooking the extraction area - killed it on bronze. Usually everybody just either sticks to one place or runs off somewhere random before the wave starts... which can still work on bronze, but silver seems to require some Special Tactics.

Rapstah

As much as I enjoy the limited amount of content in this multiplayer mode is seriously breaks one third of the time. Yesterday I had three separate incidents where I stopped being able to interact with the world, couldn't pick up ammo or damage enemies and couldn't climb ladders. And then once I apparently loaded a match too quickly because as I joined I could run around before the others did, which severely broke my client because I ended up dissapearing completely when the match started and couldn't do anything.

Otherwise, Salarian Infiltrator is pretty fun. I like being able to play Salarian, but how do I get the additional customisation options like skin colour?

Man, that gold video looked intense. Five Atlases in a row, a dozen phantoms. I don't even know how my Quarian Infiltrator could do anything. Those phantoms are too damn fast to hit with any consistency when I only have one shot pre reload.

As much as I enjoy the limited amount of content in this multiplayer mode is seriously breaks one third of the time. Yesterday I had three separate incidents where I stopped being able to interact with the world, couldn't pick up ammo or damage enemies and couldn't climb ladders. And then once I apparently loaded a match too quickly because as I joined I could run around before the others did, which severely broke my client because I ended up dissapearing completely when the match started and couldn't do anything.

Otherwise, Salarian Infiltrator is pretty fun. I like being able to play Salarian, but how do I get the additional customisation options like skin colour?

You have to get the Salarian Infiltrator again when you purchase a pack. The description will say some amount of xp and new customization options. To get to skin colour, you would have to get the Salarian Infiltrator 3 or 4 times to be able to change it.

Haint

Maybe not solo. But this guy looks like he still charging and blowin shit up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPl_0ZWANDU

The lag makes Vanguard problematic unless you're either the host or happen have a good connection to a particular host. The console versions don't seem to place a great amount of emphasis on (Matchmaking) connection quality, so it's quite common to die during a charge, right after a charge, or while you hammer the (cooled down) button to no avail.

Raxus

You have to get the Salarian Infiltrator again when you purchase a pack. The description will say some amount of xp and new customization options. To get to skin colour, you would have to get the Salarian Infiltrator 3 or 4 times to be able to change it.

Speaking of which. My pink camo Salarian Engineer looks hilarious and I have yet to see anyone like him.

I am having terrible luck on spectre packs now. I am only getting improvements on guns I don't use and I have 3 people to unlock still (the krogans and salarian infiltrator)

Kyoufu

The lag makes Vanguard problematic unless you're either the host or happen have a good connection to a particular host. The console versions don't seem to place a great amount of emphasis on (Matchmaking) connection quality, so it's quite common to die during a charge, right after a charge, or while you hammer the (cooled down) button to no avail.

I was unstoppable last night, but today I take a buttload of damage inbetween Charge and Nova.
LLShC.gif

Stupid P2P lag.

X-Frame

Promoted my Sentinel class because I've found it the most interesting and versatile in the MP. Hit Level 8 after 2 Bronze games and have my Krogan Sentinel with 1200 health and 1600 shields already. Got-damn.

Will also spec my Human Sentinel's for constant biotic fireworks.

I think I might use my ReSpec cards on the Human Sentinel's though to remove Tech Armor from them completely. I only have 1 right now.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Just got the Sniper Rifle Enhanced Scope to see through smoke - very useful, but only if I specifically choose Cerberus enemies - and also unlocked the Quarian Engineer who's not as good as the others, but I like being able to throw my turret wherever I want it to go.

Kenaras

Promoted my Sentinel class because I've found it the most interesting and versatile in the MP. Hit Level 8 after 2 Bronze games and have my Krogan Sentinel with 1200 health and 1600 shields already. Got-damn.

Will also spec my Human Sentinel's for constant biotic fireworks.

I think I might use my ReSpec cards on the Human Sentinel's though to remove Tech Armor from them completely. I only have 1 right now.

I think 3 Tech Armor, 6 Warp, 6 Throw, 5 Alliance Training, 6 Fitness works fine for a pure biotic build. You generally leave Tech Armor off, but it can be worth turning on if you're forced to move through an unsafe area, or if you need to attempt an emergency revive while under fire. Rank 6 Alliance Training just gives weapon bonuses anyway, which aren't all that important for a pure biotic. I'm not convinced that completely dropping Tech Armor is worth it.

X-Frame

I think 3 Tech Armor, 6 Warp, 6 Throw, 5 Alliance Training, 6 Fitness works fine for a pure biotic build. You generally leave Tech Armor off, but it can be worth turning on if you're forced to move through an unsafe area, or if you need to attempt an emergency revive while under fire. Rank 6 Alliance Training just gives weapon bonuses anyway, which aren't all that important for a pure biotic. I'm not convinced that completely dropping Tech Armor is worth it.

You could be right. It's a shame that BioWare doesn't make that first default point a "free" point, allowing the player to still be able to fully max out all the other options while still having 1 point in the top power.

SpudBud

Does anyone else get an error while trying to buy a pack for the store? it use to happen every once in awhile, now it happens every time. PC version btw.

X-Frame

Doing an Asari Vanguard right now. Not sure if I should put points in lift grenade. Hmm...

I played a bit with them at Level 3 and didn't really find them useful. They seem to be decent for crowd control but they're not as effective as cluster grenades. I'd just max out everything but the lift grenades, but that's me.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I just unlocked one, how do you recommend to spec it?

Tech Armor: Durability, Melee Damage, Durability
Lift Grenade: Radius, Max Grenades, Damage and Radius
Krogan Berserker: Weapon Damage, Headshots, Weapon Damage
Rage: Durability, Martial Artist , Fitness Expert

You don't need Incinerate at all with this build since you'll be carrying the two best heaviest weapons you got, preferably a Claymore and Widow, but it's all about crushing enemies up close. Remember to turn you Tech Armor as soon as the match starts though for the 40% damage reduction.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This lag is fucking atrocious. I'm clipping through the level. :/

Lag will be the death blow that kills interest for a lot of people, I think. I've got to the point where I just have to be selfish about it and host matches myeslf. They fill up pretty quickly and if it's lagging for them, well, stiff shit.

99% of matches I try to join are laggy, and if that's the case I wont bother playing at all.

Flunkie

Banned
Vanguard is just all-around shit. It was the first class I played with, and after moving on to other classes, I don't want to touch it at all. Sucks because both of my rare unlocks have been fucking Vanguard characters.

Lag will be the death blow that kills interest for a lot of people, I think. I've got to the point where I just have to be selfish about it and host matches myeslf. They fill up pretty quickly and if it's lagging for them, well, stiff shit.

99% of matches I try to join are laggy, and if that's the case I wont bother playing at all.

Had a truly horrendous match earlier where the input lag was something on the order of 1000-1500ms. Had to quit out during the first round and it was so laggy that powers had something like a 70% failure rate.

This game really needs region filtering. Either that or needs to stop matching me up with Americans on dialup whose phone lines consist of a piece of string.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Yeah I don't know why the game has decided to put me with people on the other side of the globe for the last few hours - if I'm aware of it it's fine and I still finish on top with the Krogan, but if it catches me off guard, then I get nonsense like getting grabbed by Husks by charging them, getting no hit, and having to mash the B button to get out, only to get grabbed by the Husk next to that one.

And that lag just cost me an extra 10,000 XP by a damn Banshee grabbing me instantly with leaving me no choice but to die on the extraction wave. Grrrrr.

Does anyone else get an error while trying to buy a pack for the store? it use to happen every once in awhile, now it happens every time. PC version btw.

Not on the 360, no.

krakov

So, Human Sentinel = Biotic Explosion always?

What should I max first?

You should start working towards the biotic explosion bonuses. It's level 4 for warp and level 5 for throw if I remember correctly. Enough to blow the big mobs away with ease on silver.

Troll

Banned
Tech Armor: Durability, Melee Damage, Durability
Lift Grenade: Radius, Max Grenades, Damage and Radius
Krogan Berserker: Weapon Damage, Headshots, Weapon Damage
Rage: Durability, Martial Artist , Fitness Expert

You don't need Incinerate at all with this build since you'll be carrying the two best heaviest weapons you got, preferably a Claymore and Widow, but it's all about crushing enemies up close. Remember to turn you Tech Armor as soon as the match starts though for the 40% damage reduction.

Cool thanks, ill try that out.

What makes this the best in your opinion?

Serious

You should start working towards the biotic explosion bonuses. It's level 4 for warp and level 5 for throw if I remember correctly. Enough to blow the big mobs away with ease on silver.

Yes, but you also want to max Throw ASAP after getting Warp 4/Throw 5. Throw spam with the Damage/Force evolution is extremely effective at cleaning up the cannon fodder. Been doing a fair amount of Silver Reaper runs on my Asari Adept (which also has Warp/Throw), and against Cannibals/Husks/Marauders, Throw's been my go-to power. Maxed out Throw one shots Husks, almost (and sometimes does) one-shots Cannibals, seems to one-shot Marauders after their shields are stripped, and has a nice and short CD.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I unlocked the Falcon Grenade Launcher which is good for softening up crowds, and just a couple grenade shots will have an enemy ready for a one-hit melee if they normally take two to three Krogan charges.

Cool thanks, ill try that out.

What makes this the best in your opinion?

You one-hit most things, and you can take damage while doing so like a boss. It's just so fun to play while everyone else just stays back and shoot and launch stuff. Every game I play I'm always in the middle of the action rushing, so that's why I love the Krogan so much, especially the Sentinel.

Top Bottom