• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3: Omega |OT| Fuck with Aria [Out now]

DTKT

Oh, outside of covering production costs, the only other reason I can think of EA hiking the price of the DLC is that Leviathan's sales were below expectations, and they're trying to make it up by charging the limited DLC fanbase more for subsequent DLC.

Didn't they say that Leviathan was the best selling DLC of all the ME games?

Should it have been a 5 minute action scene? Should there have been a 10 minute embrace exchanging sweet nothings like one of a certain voice actor's other roles?

The primary reason it was there was to grant a little credibility to a certain someone falling into an obvious trap. I actually give them a solid video-game C for effort on that one.

It had to be the best selling ME3 DLC right?
By default.

Best ever. Have in account that ME1 only had Bring Down the Sky and Pinnacle Station, and the former was free in PC, PS3 users got most ME2 DLC for free. Leviathan is the pnly one sold to all the user base from the three platforms.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is it just me, or are the faces higher res than they are usually? I mean, look at the details on Nyreen, and that's without any sort of fanmade mods.

masseffect32012-11-27nljvn.png

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Leviathan is the best DLC in the whole series with Shadow Broker coming in afterwards. It also reveals the biggest secret of the series. Can't see why this wouldn't sell well.

Faces for unique models (like Sheploo and Liara) are usually high-res and detailed. It makes a stark contrast when you see some random non inspired NPC build with the face constructor. I remember that ambassador in ME1 that had been captured by some biotics, I was playing Sheploo and the faces going forth and back in conversation were so different in quality it was comical.

Patryn

People are still bitter after the ending debacle.

Yeah, I have to admit that I only bought Leviathan on Black Friday when it was on sale. I still haven't played it. I think at this point I'm going to wait until all the DLC is out, get it all and finally do my ME3 replay.

eot

Banned
The fucked up art is that Mass Effect DLC has NEVER been on sale on PC. If I ever decide to get this it will be $15 no matter when because of those bullshit BioWare points that they decided to retain in ME3 despite the game already requiring Origin.

They have put the points on sale at least once.

I think this DLC reaffirms my own opinion that Mass Effect 2 is a fundamentally a better playing game and a better shooter. I cannot fucking stand Mass Effect 3's combat and endless waves of annoying enemies. I want to go in cover, ok, nevermind, I'll roll instead. Everything feels clunky and frustrating. That FOV doesn't help either.

Yeah the combat in ME3 never clicked with me despite the fact that I love it in ME2 (I replayed ME2 lots of times just for the combat). I'm not sure if it's the enemy design, the insanely short cooldown on your powers, the encounter design or maybe all of those things. For whatever reason I just don't enjoy fighting the reaper or cerberus troops that much, I don't like the way they look and they're just not very expressive. Also there are some strange decisions like never placing Husks in tight areas, or giving them armor on higher difficulties, making them completely pointless enemies whereas they were a real threat in some ME2 missions.

It just doesn't feel like a refined version of ME2's systems, it's more turned up to 11. As an Adept your cooldowns are so short you barely get to shoot your guns, it's weird.

Best ever. Have in account that ME1 only had Bring Down the Sky and Pinnacle Station, and the former was free in PC, PS3 users got most ME2 DLC for free. Leviathan is the pnly one sold to all the user base from the three platforms.

From Ashes.

Lime

No kidding, I agree 100% with this. That's one of the reasons why ME1 remains the best of the series even with the lackluster combat and cloned side missions. ME1's pace was perfect , and it also allowed to take breaths often from the Normandy as well, it was all so integrated and fluid, playing just the main story and the quintessential side missions made for a nearly flawless experience.

You and me both. Too bad they never went further in the same direction.

- Talk of too much action bla bla bla is total nonsense. The direction of the series has been set in stone, time to move on and get over it. It was no less or more action heavy than most missions in both Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3. Don't like that? Fine, but what did you expect from Mass Effect 3 downloadable content. Shape your expectations so they're reasonable and logical, please.

- Similar for the writing. For better or worse, there's no way it's of lower quality than the series has been so far. It was consistent, simple, though fairly predictable. You know how the series is written. Surprise, Omega is exactly the same cheesy sci fi slosh, in a simple little self contained story.

Are you speaking as a mod in terms of what we are allowed to post about or are you just stating that people's expectations should remain in check? I'm mostly curious because I think it's fine to allow discussion/comments pointing out what people find good and bad about the aspects of the current games, as long as it's adequately reasonable and consistent with the flow of the discussion.

Although the discussion of 1 vs. 2/3 might have tired the Mass Effect regulars, I could imagine? :)

Not worth 15 bucks but I had some fun with it. Smiled every time Aria said something like "I'm back fuckers!"

short points:

-Nyreen should have become a permanent squadmate
-ran into some some glitches (Aria zooming around during her speech lol)
-sound design was either glitched or very poor
-some neat areas/skyboxes
-couch stuff was funny

If this is indicative if the quality of ME4... consider me worried.

Bisnic

First time i hear someone complain that cooldowns are TOO SHORT in ME3. If anything, they were terribly slow in ME2 and a lot of people hated the long global cooldown back then.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Are you speaking as a mod in terms of what we are allowed to post about or are you just stating that people's expectations should remain in check? I'm mostly curious because I think it's fine to allow discussion/comments pointing out what people find good and bad about the aspects of the current games, as long as it's adequately reasonable and consistent with the flow of the discussion.

Although the discussion of 1 vs. 2/3 might have tired the Mass Effect regulars, I could imagine? :)

Not speaking as a mod, though I do find the continued complaining, whining, and moaning in literally every single Mass Effect thread regardless of the topic to be excruciatingly tiring. It's literally a running joke. Make Mass Effect thread about anything, give it one or two pages because the pro-Mass Effect anti-Mass Effect 2/3 brigade pipes up about shoot bang. Every single time. Without fail. Regardless of context. I've come to terms with ignoring most of it.

If it gets out of hand then yeah the moderation hammer has to come down, as in the past there's been a few unjustified thread derails, and I don't think any of the moderation team wants this happening to every future Mass Effect thread, but in that particular quote I was referring to people surprised and/or concerned that Omega DLC had a lot of shooting, and how I disagree with complaints that it was too action heavy, when for most part it plays identically to a Mass Effect 2/3 mission. And none of that is surprising to me in the slightest, nor necessarily a universally negative thing.

I feel with Mass Effect, because some people are so crippled by ME2/ME3's changes, that there is an audience looking for every opportunity to moan about the series regardless of whether or not its justified or relevant to the discussion. So for Omega it's like, "hey, this is ME3 DLC, that plays exactly like ME3, and like ME2...and you expected it to play differently?". There's plenty of criticism that can be thrown at Omega, but I feel complaining that DLC for the most recent games plays like the last two base games is beating a half decomposed dead horse at this point. If people want changes to the series formula they shouldn't be looking towards Mass Effect 3 DLC, even if it is from Montreal.

EDIT: I suppose the long and short of it is that I don't find discussion of how Mass Effect 2 abandoned 70's technicolour sci fi particularly worthy of attention in a thread about Mass Effect 3 DLC :p.

Just finished it. It was the first time that I've played through any portion of the Mass Effect series hoping that the end would come soon. If you're looking to get a short Mass Effect fix pick it up, but just don't expect to be awed. The story is typical Aria one-dimensional revenge and the environments are probably the blandest of the game. Sewers and tunnels is such a waste in this universe.

All of that being said I will be there Day 1 for the next DLC.

Sorry to probably be #600 to ask this, but is it worth the purchase now or wait for price drop? I loved Leviathan even though it was realistically probably the weaker of all the DLC's. Should I do it now? Thanks!

Bisnic

So how long does it last?

I assume most people will take around 3 hours to do it. It's about the same length as your usual ME DLC, which is why I still don't understand why its more expensive. There's a lot of production value, the zones looks very nice(well, its still Omega, but you get what im saying), they've add 2 new types of enemies, sure... but is that really enough to justify it? No. I can't believe that getting Aria's voice actor back had anything to do with it or else the next DLC might be just as costly if they're getting Seth Green and maybe some other squadmates VAs back.

RedSwirl

Oh, outside of covering production costs, the only other reason I can think of EA hiking the price of the DLC is that Leviathan's sales were below expectations, and they're trying to make it up by charging the limited DLC fanbase more for subsequent DLC.

That sounds like a microcosm of the entirety of console gaming this generation - charging each customer more money in order to maintain growth with a stagnant user base.

Not speaking as a mod, though I do find the continued complaining, whining, and moaning in literally every single Mass Effect thread regardless of the topic to be excruciatingly tiring. It's literally a running joke. Make Mass Effect thread about anything, give it one or two pages because the pro-Mass Effect anti-Mass Effect 2/3 brigade pipes up about shoot bang. Every single time. Without fail. Regardless of context. I've come to terms with ignoring most of it.

If it gets out of hand then yeah the moderation hammer has to come down, as in the past there's been a few unjustified thread derails, and I don't think any of the moderation team wants this happening to every future Mass Effect thread, but in that particular quote I was referring to people surprised and/or concerned that Omega DLC had a lot of shooting, and how I disagree with complaints that it was too action heavy, when for most part it plays identically to a Mass Effect 2/3 mission. And none of that is surprising to me in the slightest, nor necessarily a universally negative thing.

I feel with Mass Effect, because some people are so crippled by ME2/ME3's changes, that there is an audience looking for every opportunity to moan about the series regardless of whether or not its justified or relevant to the discussion. So for Omega it's like, "hey, this is ME3 DLC, that plays exactly like ME3, and like ME2...and you expected it to play differently?". There's plenty of criticism that can be thrown at Omega, but I feel complaining that DLC for the most recent games plays like the last two base games is beating a half decomposed dead horse at this point. If people want changes to the series formula they shouldn't be looking towards Mass Effect 3 DLC, even if it is from Montreal.

EDIT: I suppose the long and short of it is that I don't find discussion of how Mass Effect 2 abandoned 70's technicolour sci fi particularly worthy of attention in a thread about Mass Effect 3 DLC :p.
THANK YOU. So sick of the threadcrapping in every single ME2/3 thread.

Anyway, finished the DLC and I enjoyed it for the most part. Wish it had been longer and Nyreen really should have become a permanent squad member. Not as good as Leviathan, but then that DLC had a huge plot reveal in it.

Bisnic

She didn't
murder the general in my "Paragon" run.
I guess even Aria is weak to my "nice" side. But she also didn't try to seduce me or anything, maybe because i played a female, or maybe because i sided with Nyreen all the time?

Karram

So I bought the DLC but I can't find the mission, I looked at the emails and I couldn't find Aria's message that activates the mission on citadel. Please help.

Bisnic

So I bought the DLC but I can't find the mission, I looked at the emails and I couldn't find Aria's message that activates the mission on citadel. Please help.

I had to reboot the game after Origin installed it for me before i got an email. Can't say about consoles though.

Arjen

Thanks for all the impressions, sounds like what i expected, so it's going to be the first piece of ME i'll be skipping. Sad day :(

Eurogamer said:
After Leviathan, a story-fuelled race around the galaxy that wrapped revelatory new lore around dazzling locations and likeable characters, Mass Effect fans get the opposite. Omega is a dark, hard-fought slog through the belly of the dingy Mass Effect 2 space station. It rambles, it gets lost, and it ultimately feels weightless.

Eurogamer - 4/10

Bisnic

I agree that after Leviathan, Omega feels a bit disappointing... can't bring your own squadmates, which makes multiple runs not as interesting after you saw both the Paragon and Renegade side, you don't explore different planets, the parts where you don't do any shooting are short compared to Leviathan, the story itself isn't as interesting, and you definitely never see any good reason as to why we payed 5 more dollars for it, but i still wouldn't rate it 4/10. Maybe 7, but not more than that. It's good, but could have been much more. Hopefully they'll do better with the next (and last?) ME3 DLC.

I missed the couch. Where was it?

on the final mission before you hit Nightclub you have to activate a dam. When you activate the dam it blocks off the flow of water. You can see a ladder leading down to the water channel (that is now drained) you can find the couch there

Bisnic

on the final mission before you hit Nightclub you have to activate a dam. When you activate the dam it blocks off the flow of water. You can see a ladder leading down to the water channel (that is now drained) you can find the couch there

I loved Aria's surprise when we find it. :p

"Is that my couch?"

StUnNeR H2K

Omega was very disappointing. Much shorter than I exepcted, and really didn't accomplish much other than giving Aria Omega back, which was a no brainer. Did a full play through in just under 4 hrs on Insanity fully exploring every little corner I could, a bathroom break, two trips to the fridge for a drink refill and a headset battery swap. I would say a solid 3 hrs if I didn't move from my seat the entire time.

I think the DLC had way more potential, but the side quest were garbage and didn't add much to the story. Not sure what purpose this all served in the long run other than adding more minions to your allied total.

Does it even add anything to the ending of the game? A blurb about Aria and Omega?

Is it sad that I'm more excited about maybe seeing the new enemies in multiplayer more than anything else? Or seeing some of the abilities for new multiplayer characters?

This DLC was probably worth the cost had you been able to keep Aria or Nyreen as a squad mate.

Melchiah

I loaded up my last post-Leviathan save, and it shows I still haven't completed the mission. Is that some kind of a bug, and do I need to complete Leviathan again before the Omega, in case there's some minor references to it?

There appears to be another bug, eventhough I had saved the game after changing my crew's stats before the Leviathan DLC, they've now been reverted back to how they were before, and I can't change them any longer. Nor can I change the bonus power.

It sucks, as now I can't use the Leviathan bonus power in Omega.

Bioware's tendency of coming up with news bugs in regular intervals never ceases to amaze me.

EDIT: It appears the change is greyed out because I have too little credits, so my bad on that account, but I still can't understand why the stats have been reverted back to what they were before Leviathan, and why I don't have the last DLC's bonus power. So, if I want to use it on Omega, I'll have replay Leviathan. FTS

Lime

It's understandable given your interest in and dedication to the series. I still think your complaint kind of quells potential future discussion, but I can relate to the over-excessive repetition of the same complaints (it should be noted that this repetition is indicative of the impression Mass Effect 1 made on people and the sudden change of direction reminds them of what could have been.)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's understandable given your interest in and dedication to the series. I still think your complaint kind of quells potential future discussion, but I can relate to the over-excessive repetition of the same complaints (it should be noted that this repetition is indicative of the impression Mass Effect 1 made on people and the sudden change of direction reminds them of what could have been.)

It's not a matter of complaints. It's context of the complaints. Every single Mass Effect thread irrespective of context should not be used as a soapbox for the same group of people to instigate yet another debate about technicolour 70's sci fi and dudebro shoot bang corridors. It's not about quelling future discussion, it's about appropriate discussion. Like I said, it's literally a running joke how predictable the debate is, as all it requires is someone to mutter "Mass Effect" and away we go.

But as I also said I'm not being a moderator when I say this, unless it truly dreails conversation. I mostly ignore the complaints because it's the same tired arguments over and over without little contextual relevance to the topic. And in the context of Omega and my mini-review, I was noting the silliness of expecting something more than Mass Effect 3 from Mass Effect 3 DLC.

Melchiah

It's not a matter of complaints. It's context of the complaints. Every single Mass Effect thread irrespective of context should not be used as a soapbox for the same group of people to instigate yet another debate about technicolour 70's sci fi and dudebro shoot bang corridors. It's not about quelling future discussion, it's about appropriate discussion. Like I said, it's literally a running joke how predictable the debate is, as all it requires is someone to mutter "Mass Effect" and away we go.

But as I also said I'm not being a moderator when I say this, unless it truly dreails conversation. I mostly ignore the complaints because it's the same tired arguments over and over without little contextual relevance to the topic. And in the context of Omega and my mini-review, I was noting the silliness of expecting something more than Mass Effect 3 from Mass Effect 3 DLC.

Agreed. Yes, the ending was awful, and the series have changed during its course, but do we really need to hear about it on every ME-related thread?

EDIT: On a side note, I just played throught the DLC, and I sure as hell can't sympathize with those, who claim it's on par with Arrival, or that it doesn't offer enough content.
The Adjutants and Nyreen
were good additions, I just wish I could have tested the Leviathan bonus power on the former. I think it was definitely worth the money, even if it wasn't perhaps quite as good as the best ME DLCs. On the negative side, the villain couldn't have been more uninteresting, and that's the main reason for me why this pales against Leviathan. On the positive side, far less glitches on the PS3, than the Leviathan had with its nearly unplayable canyon battleground. The only major glitch I came across was during a cutscene at
Talon outpost
, where the characters were suddenly facing the other way, or standing a couple of meters away from their original position.

Mechazawa

So, if I have the base Mass Effect 3 game, but have never played it and I don't want to spend much more money than I already have, which DLC packs are "essential"?

Hey guys, sorry for going off-topic but I need help ASAP.

I just cancelled my Wii U preorder, and with the money I got back I bought a retail copy of Mass Effect 3 for PC. As I walked back home, I remembered that my DVD drive is busted, so now I can't install the game.

Is there a key or something inside to put in Origin so I can just install the game there? I haven't opened the box, so I need to know the answer in order to either start downloading or rush to the store and ask for a refund :/

Moaradin

Hey guys, sorry for going off-topic but I need help ASAP.

I just cancelled my Wii U preorder, and with the money I got back I bought a retail copy of Mass Effect 3 for PC. As I walked back home, I remembered that my DVD drive is busted, so now I can't install the game.

Is there a key or something inside to put in Origin so I can just install the game there? I haven't opened the box, so I need to know the answer in order to either start downloading or rush to the store and ask for a refund :/

You should be able to install it on Origin. Just look for the CD key. I think it's on the disk.

Top Bottom