• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3: Omega |OT| Fuck with Aria [Out now]

Just finished the Omega sections in my current run through Mass Effect 2. Aria and Patriarch are really cool characters. I think Omega could support an entire game in the ME universe. It's so diverse and it doesn't need the relays to be interesting.

Anyway... hopefully they can stop Aria's collar from clipping through her neck like it did in ME2. I can't unsee sloppy stuff like that.

Jarmel

Banned
So apparently the DLC is heavily action-based and fairly short. I haven't done a run-through yet owing to a paper due in 3 hours but the impressions I'm reading are highly negative.

Also
Aria stays on the couch in the Citadel after you reclaim Omega. No banging her either.

L O L

zkylon

zkylewd
Anyway... hopefully they can stop Aria's collar from clipping through her neck like it did in ME2. I can't unsee sloppy stuff like that.
Unlikely. ME3 is probably the less subtle about those kind of things, like Femshep having noticeable boob size changes depending on which outfit she's wearing, plus some of the most hilariously broken sprint animations I've ever seen.

I do agree Omega would be fitting of a whole game, specially since Mass Effect barely has anything to do with exploring the galaxy anymore.

Unlikely. ME3 is probably the less subtle about those kind of things, like Femshep having noticeable boob size changes depending on which outfit she's wearing, plus some of the most hilariously broken sprint animations I've ever seen.

I do agree Omega would be fitting of a whole game, specially since Mass Effect barely has anything to do with exploring the galaxy anymore.

I'm doing ME2 as Femshep for the first time now, and sometimes it's pretty jarring that they used the same animation skeleton for the male and female characters. Especially during Kasumi's mission in Femshep's "formal" attire. It's not like they didn't have female animation skeletons.

But clipping really gets to me. Like when Krogans turn their heads and their carapaces phase through their humps. Or when parts of armor pass through the person wearing it. I don't know how these things work, but dang, it's crazy how games with such high production values can get the basic things so wrong.

JerkShep

I've bought Leviathan a couple days ago because it was half price. I'm playing it now and while it's decent enough I find myself really tired of the mechanics. The combat is always the same, even Insanity is a cake walk with all the points you can spend (Level 57 and I've maxed every power except one, it's ridicolous). The sections without combat are so streamlined and simple that they feel almost offensive (click everywhere in the lab -> 30 minutes of shooting -> click everywhere in the lab -> 30 minutes of shooting). And I can't remember a single choice I've made in 2 hours of content, damn.
If Omega is more of the same, and with that price, I'm not going to buy it. And the premise is not that interesting, never cared a lot about Aria.

Lakitu

st5fu
Playing through the first mission. Really boring so far. Just combat in dull interior environments. Hope it gets better.

Patryn

So basically it's Arrival all over again?

Montreal not exactly inspiring hope for the direction of ME4. Clearly seems to enjoy working more on the action elements of the series, which isn't the aspect I was hoping would get focused on.

Mindwipe

Sounds like I've saved 1200 points so far.

I heard there were two ME2 character cameos and got excited that Morinth might finally not have just been killed off screen, but no, apparently not.

Patryn

Remember everybody, this is done by the team that will do ME4.

Just think about that when you're playing it.

I think it's clear that someone on GAF was right (EatChildren?) and ME4 will be awfully close to the Uncharted with dialogue choices model.

So apparently the DLC is heavily action-based and fairly short. I haven't done a run-through yet owing to a paper due in 3 hours but the impressions I'm reading are highly negative.

Also
Aria stays on the couch in the Citadel after you reclaim Omega. No banging her either.

L O L
Continually glad I sold all of my Mass Effect games.

Also

L O L
Easier to coordinate Omega from the Citadel apparently.

lol

BIOWARE

Jarmel

Banned
Well atleast this DLC made me buy Leviathan in the hype. I'll give that a runthrough and wait for more GAF impressions before deciding what to do with Omega.

Let me try and a give spoiler-free recap

- Finished it in 3 hours
- Less variety than Leviathan since you're basically stuck on Omega for almost the whole thing
- No influence on main story, basically a story on itself regarding Aria, Nyreen and Omega
- You get new powers, weapons and weapon mods
- No hub or anything after finishing the DLC

I personally found Leviathan more interesting.

Let me try and a give spoiler-free recap

- Finished it in 3 hours
- Less variety than Leviathan since you're basically stuck on Omega for almost the whole thing
- No influence on main story, basically a story on itself regarding Aria, Nyreen and Omega
- You get new powers, weapons and weapon mods
- No hub or anything after finishing the DLC

I personally found Leviathan more interesting.

Why is this $15? To pay for Carrie Anne Moss' drug money?

EliCash

I've been waiting for this since it was rumoured, but sounds like it might be disappointing. I haven't played or bought Leviathan yet so might go with that first.

Easier to coordinate Omega from the Citadel apparently.

lol

Words simply fail me. They could've at least put a bit of effort in and
used one of her hench men to man the Citadel and be the point of contact for Shepard for any outstanding Merc Missions
. Guess that was too much work for 15 bucks.

What makes this worse is that this DLC is showcasing the team that will develop ME 4. If I hadn't already decided not to bother with ME 4 this DLC would have put me right off the next Mass Effect game. It is pretty clear Bioware no longer have a clue what to do with the ME universe or game making in general it seems.

So I played through ME1 and ME2 and loved them both for different reasons. I avoided ME3 like the plague due to the backlash, but I've since realized that I want to finish the trilogy over christmas break. What is the state on the ending of the game? Was it patched? I just want to know I'm playing the definitive version of ME3.

Lakitu

st5fu
Finished it. Most of the missions were dull and unmemorable, the 'hub' was crap besides a couple of conversations with Aria and Nyreen. I did like the ending though, seeing Aria's character progression, the easter eggs, squad powers and the mission in the mines, which was a really nice change of pace.

It's definitely not worth 1200 points though, it's nowhere near LOTSB standard since I've seen that brought up alot and that was 800 points. Dialogue is about ME 3 standard.

Adjutants where about the only thing interesting to fight, other than that, there were no interesting combat scenarios to speak of. Some sequences felt like glorified ME 3 multiplayer and I hate when they do that in games.

I enjoyed Leviathan much more and I can't help but feel that this could have been so much better. Very disappointed.

So I played through ME1 and ME2 and loved them both for different reasons. I avoided ME3 like the plague due to the backlash, but I've since realized that I want to finish the trilogy over christmas break. What is the state on the ending of the game? Was it patched? I just want to know I'm playing the definitive version of ME3.

The revised ending stuff is so non important that it really doesn't matter. I'd download it and use it but you'll be hitting youtube to figure out what the differences are even if you play both ways.

Is Omega even any different or any new areas than in ME2?
Yeah most of it is new areas actually. You fight in quite a few different places. It just can't be as versatile as say Leviathan because it all takes place on a single space station. However.. Despite there being different areas, some even with inner vistas and stuff, there's literally zero choice of where to go and is a completely linear experience. It never really feels big or varied, but more like a corridor shooter. Even these so-called 'hubs' are not really hubs. You can't return to them at will, but only when the story tells you to.

masterkajo

I know it may sound harsh and all and it totally depends on how big a Mass Effect fan you are but I (big big ME fan) wish I had not played the third game (or at least stopped before the ending). It really ruined the franchise for me (so much so that I am not buying the Omega DLC even though I was looking forward to it ever since I read the comic backstory to it) and I did wait on the Extended Cut ending before playing it.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
It is pretty clear Bioware no longer have a clue what to do with the ME universe or game making in general it seems.

yeah, their spirit is dead.

I have heard from people who worked with Bioware that their quality control in pre-EA days was insane. But after acquisition it started to fall apart gradually and for the last couple of years The Doctors weren't interested in making games that much. They wanted to get one of the top positions in EA by making WOW-killer but since it failed they just had no reason to stay there.

also the artist who worked at Bioware said that it was basically a sweatshop, so he quit 9 months later and moved back to Europe. Back in the heyday Bioware was considered one of the most interesting places to work at.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
DOWNLOADING NOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Jinjo

I won 800 MS Points through a contest so I would really only have to spend 400, so is this worth 400 points?

Not really. I just finished it and it's boring. I actually enjoyed Leviathan, but this is just fight after fight in dark corridors. No real big decisions and the story of the DLC isn't that amazing either. If you're not a real big Mass Effect fan I'd say just go for something else. If you're craving some Mass Effect again, I guess you could go for it, but just know it's absolutely not shadow broker level amazing.

Top Bottom