• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Derrick01

Banned
I'm 10 hours in, I keep reading that I should stop playing right before the ending.

Is that wise?

No matter how bad the ending may or may not be you should play it to the end once as you should with any story that you've been invested in for multiple entries.

Wow, on Tuchanka
the sequence with Mordin curing the genophage was awesome. Then to top it off...DAT ME1 MUSIC PLAYING WHILE CURE IS SPREADING. *sniff* Nostalgic :(

I'm 10 hours in, I keep reading that I should stop playing right before the ending.

Is that wise?

There are people on the spoiler thread who have said it'll
retroactively make you dislike the franchise.

But if you've gone this far, it'd be silly to stop before knowing how it all ends.

ironcreed

Banned
idk, having finished the game and watched From Ashes stuff online...I thought it was kind of badly written and irrelevant. The idea behind it is obviously 'big' but I feel like the universe makes more sense if you don't have it. The entire notion that the Reapers
can just 'miss' people who are trying to survive is pretty silly. I know they sort of had it in the first game but it failed, as it should. How much less threatening is it if you can just 'lol stasis' away from them.

No worse than being able to 'lol flee' from them while scanning planets. Look how all powerful they are supposed to be, yet you can just run from them straight out of a star system and they can't follow you?

Anyway, I don't know if the DLC is quality or not, but that is irrelevant. The fact that he is a Prothean is relevant from a lore perspective, and that is why he should have without question been a part of the game. But I am not going to keep on beating that drum. I was just pleased to see at least one mainstream review outlet call it for what it is.

Yea i'm gonna play on insanity and vanguard looks promising. I love the "high risk high reward" type of play so it should fit me. I started with an Engineer but it was such a major let down right from the start.

I played vanguard for me2 but changed to engineer. It is such an amazing class. U mentioned the drone is useless? I disagree. At level 6 with upgraded passive abilities it comes equipped with rockets and electric sbocks. It also has shield and damage buffs. When u combine that with a fully upgraded turret u have an extra 2 members in ur party.

I place turrets in choke points then deploy a drone behind the target, forcing them in a pincer movement. It is the most strategic class in the game.

TheYanger

No worse than being able to 'lol flee' from them while scanning planets. Look how all powerful they are supposed to be, yet you can just run from them straight out of a star system and they can't follow you?

Anyway, I don't know if the DLC is quality or not, but that is irrelevant. The fact that he is a Prothean is relevant from a lore perspective, and that is why he should have without question been a part of the game. But I am not going to keep on beating that drum. I was just pleased to see at least one mainstream review outlet call it for what it is.

Just because it is something doesn't mean it's some hugely relevant thing to the game. It's tacked on, period. It's no more relevant than Zaeed or Kasumi were. Yeah, Prothean is a nice buzzword, but that's basically what they rely on to sell it. They could put Jesus in a DLC and it doesn't mean it would be important, just that they want you to think it is. You can read all about the 'lore' implications of the character online, and the rest of it is just fluff. So basically, it's a DLC codex entry for most people. Hardly a big deal. It deserves bad reviews because it's bad, it deserves bad press because it's day one money grab type shit, but it is HARDLY important to the game, don't mistake those things.

Is there a known issue with the armour customization screen? Takes forever to load up the different armour or casual wear.

I found that the one in the Captain's Cabin works fine, but the one in the Shuttle Bay doesn't.

Also, what's up with the planet Aequitas suddenly being marked on my galaxy map? I completed the Rannoch missions and suddenly it's there, but I can't scan it or anything.

8 hours in and loving it. I just love the visuals in this game. What it may lack in fancy textures it more than makes up for in art direction and design. The scenes of reaper warfare in the background are epic and I just love the general look of everything in the game - though Shepard's character animations still aren't that great.

Story-wise it's delivering for me as well. Shit really does feel like it's hit the fan.

Gameplay hasn't progressed much, but it was a lot of fun in ME2 and I still enjoy it now. The combat and squad systems are so elegant and simple that it never becomes a chore.

My only criticism is that there seems to be less exploration and conversation than even ME2, which had already scaled down from ME1. This is quite a central part of the fun of RPGs for me, but I guess you coud argue that the situation in the game doesn't really allow for too much of that.

All in all, this is still the kind of sci-fi epic goodness I've come to love.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm worried.

I just got told some shit about how I may need to play multiplayer to get the perfect ending (which I god dam deserve). If I have a 100% green bar, will this give me the perfect ending?

I don't want to read through this thread because people are still spoiling the game! A simple yes or no answer would be great.

You need a certain amount of EMS (not total military strength) to get a short extension of the ending and it seems like that number is impossible to get without playing MP, though some are saying with NG+ you can get it but I don't know about that.

But you can get the actual ending by just playing SP and filling your bar up.

ironcreed

Banned
Just because it is something doesn't mean it's some hugely relevant thing to the game. It's tacked on, period. It's no more relevant than Zaeed or Kasumi were. Yeah, Prothean is a nice buzzword, but that's basically what they rely on to sell it. They could put Jesus in a DLC and it doesn't mean it would be important, just that they want you to think it is. You can read all about the 'lore' implications of the character online, and the rest of it is just fluff. So basically, it's a DLC codex entry for most people. Hardly a big deal. It deserves bad reviews because it's bad, it deserves bad press because it's day one money grab type shit, but it is HARDLY important to the game, don't mistake those things.

I am sure those who have been into the lore from day one would want him in as a matter of principle. The Protheans hold a bit more weight than Kasumi or Zaeed, who were just generic added characters. Not even to mention that a trip back to Eden Prime should have been included as well. Quality content or not, I am just talking strictly from a lore perspective here.

Make no mistake, though. I am still enjoying the game and don't think it will negatively affect the experience by not buying the DLC . But from the very start of the game when
I got the Prothean weapon blueprint on Mars,
the first thing that popped in my mind is how fitting it would be to also have the Prothean squadmate.

Anyway, I just think it is a dick move and my stance will not change on that. Going by what many others are saying and now even a mainstream review outlet, it very much was, but I am not going to sweat it. I am just going to enjoy it for what it is, get my conclusion to the series and move on.

idk, having finished the game and watched From Ashes stuff online...I thought it was kind of badly written and irrelevant. The idea behind it is obviously 'big' but I feel like the universe makes more sense if you don't have it. The entire notion that the Reapers
can just 'miss' people who are trying to survive is pretty silly. I know they sort of had it in the first game but it failed, as it should. How much less threatening is it if you can just 'lol stasis' away from them.

But you can't really.
The Reapers didn't miss, most the pods were sabotaged or destroyed. It was a last ditch situation that had a huge chance of failing. the fact that only 1 out of hundreds survived is proof.

megalowho

Wow, on Tuchanka
the sequence with Mordin curing the genophage was awesome. Then to top it off...DAT ME1 MUSIC PLAYING WHILE CURE IS SPREADING. *sniff* Nostalgic :(

As cool as that was,
that scene and the one that follows has the potential to go incredibly dark if you make some different decisions. I reloaded that section a few times to see how it could play out, it's totally worth it.

Derrick01

Banned
Oh man. How much of the MP do I need to play?

Sorry I have no idea there since I didn't bother playing it. Someone said if you complete a level on easy you get 4% on your readiness (the parts that are always stuck at 50% on your war asset screen) but I don't know what that translates to in terms of adding to your EMS.

Why can't my PS3 load the entire Normandy so I don't have to suffer 10 second load times? It makes navigating and talking to my crew such a tedious affair.

Tacitus_

You jump to FTL when you leave a system. There are only sub lightspeed sensors in the universe.

Sorry I have no idea there since I didn't bother playing it. Someone said if you complete a level on easy you get 4% on your readiness (the parts that are always stuck at 50% on your war asset screen) but I don't know what that translates to in terms of adding to your EMS.

Some quick math indicates you'd need around 60% readiness to get over 4k EMS if you do most sidequests.

Tacitus_

Convenient, but explains it, lol.

I remember that there was a codex entry on FTL in ME1 that explained that, and one of the escape dialogues has EDI saying "jump to FTL complete" or something similar.

E: of course this raises the question why either the Normandy isn't traveling at FTL in system, or if they are, why the reapers can track them.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
more like get the fuck off my game and go back metal gear solid you waste of space

everyones got biotics, lasers, tech jedi powers........so heres a space ninja with a butter knife, i mean who comes up with this shit

Actually, I thought he was a pretty aesthetically cool character. My problem is that he adds nothing to the story.

Mass Effect's space ninjas are fucking cool as hell.

Speaking of which, did anyone notice the music in (mid-game spoilers)
The Citadel rescue mission
? It seems like a remix of the Cerberus Plot from the soundtrack. It's not a version that's on the soundtrack.

Why can't my PS3 load the entire Normandy so I don't have to suffer 10 second load times? It makes navigating and talking to my crew such a tedious affair.

Hearing about the atrocious load times on PS3 and the disc swapping on 360, I'm quite glad I went with the PC version.

Moaradin

Well, I think I just reached the point of no return. I've been playing for so long this whole week. It's been a crazy ride. I'm about 42 hours into the game and have maybe 2 hours left if anyone wants to know.

I do need a break though lol. I'll probably beat it later tonight.

REV 09

i didn't import a character due to playing the first 2 games on 360 (now on PC). i'm sorta regretting not building a save file though considering some of the decisions that are supposedly canon. I've already missed out on 3 squadmates that apparently didn't survive the previous games
wrex, jack, grunt
. it was obvious who their generic replacements were, but it really takes away from the experience if i consider how the scenes would have played if i had imported. :(

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, did I just miss several side-missions?

(8 hours in spoilers)
I got to the point where Wrex and the Turian each offered me a side mission; Wrex's was to check for Krogan scouters in Rachni areas. The Turian's was to rescue a secret Turian team on Tuchanka. I also had an outstanding N7 mission on Tuchanka. I decided to do the Rachni side-mission first... and then when I finish up, Mordin busts in and says "Yo we got da cure time to go to Tuchanka"... so I now have 3 open side-missions on Tuchanka... Will the Priority mission override the other two and burn me when I go to Tuchanka?

I hope I don't need to load a previous save and do things in another order. I think my last save is before
The Negotiations start.

Moaradin

So, did I just miss several side-missions?

(8 hours in spoilers)
I got to the point where Wrex and the Turian each offered me a side mission; Wrex's was to check for Krogan scouters in Rachni areas. The Turian's was to rescue a secret Turian team on Tuchanka. I also had an outstanding N7 mission on Tuchanka. I decided to do the Rachni side-mission first... and then when I finish up, Mordin busts in and says "Yo we got da cure time to go to Tuchanka"... so I now have 3 open side-missions on Tuchanka... Will the Priority mission override the other two and burn me when I go to Tuchanka?

I hope I don't need to load a previous save and do things in another order. I think my last save is before
The Negotiations start.

Nope. You can do all of them.

The load times for the PC version are sOooOo fast, I love it. Even the biggest areas load in 2-3 seconds, I've counted, just 2-3 seconds. The PC version in general is awesome. The thread that calls it a "broke ass console port" is just BS. Aside from the lack of controller support (I'm actually loving kb/m which was totally unexpected) and the FOV (a problem in so many games so singling out ME3 and burying it isn't fair), there is nothing broke-ass about it. Great version of the game.

It's interesting to note that it loads far faster than ME2 ever did.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I've had only four squadmates for what seems like an eternity. I'm getting tired of sidequests so I think I'm just going to barge through the main missions. Is it possible to get extra squadmates through sidequests, and if so, which ones so I can keep an eye out for them?

Horde mode is actually quite fun. Got to wave 10 in my frsit game. Granted, I sucked the most but still.

Have no friends on Origin (Which it loves to remind me about) so add me: VintageElise

Flunkie

Banned
I'm actually really liking Mass Effect Infiltrator for those who care. The game is pretty fast-paced and it an arcadey take on the combat, awarding more points for using different combos and stringing together kills with certain weapons. You can upload intel to boost your battle readiness in ME3.

If you're looking to scratch that Mass Effect itch on the go, it's not bad by any means.

Ano-qeGCEAIRlGL.jpg

ironcreed

Banned
Oh man, there are people over on BSN that are actually saying that they would gladly pay for 'ending pack' DLC, lol. Still have to reach the ending, so not sure how I am going to feel about it. Good or bad, it will have to do for a conclusion for me. No way in hell would I fork over more money in order to get a better ending. Regardless, I am enjoying the game for the most part so far, so we shall see.

Nugg

Bought the 360 CE on amazon FR, super stoked about it. I start up the game. Menus and subtitles are in english, perfect. Voice over is in french.

God fucking dammit. So angry at myself for not making sure the game had both languages before ordering :( I hate DVDs so much right now. I bought another copy on amazon UK, but this means I'll have to wait another week to play it. The french CE DLC better be compatible with a UK copy.
There's an english voices free DLC available.

ironcreed

Banned
Knowing that the ending is shit is really holding me back on enjoying the game.

What a shame.

It has me cautious, but other than a few minor complaints, I am having a good time with it so far. Here is to hoping that this is just all being overblown.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
OMG

Blasto 6 is seriously the hardest I have ever laughed at a video game in my life.

Top Bottom