• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

LiK

Re: Jessica Chobot, someone pointed this out on that tumblr thing and I feel that it's accurate. I can't believe Bioware had the time to model, write her lines, and generally polygon'd the hell out of her boobs. And yet, they can't even do proper 3D modeling of Tali's face and had to resort to photoshopping stock image.

Priorities, it's completely whacked in this game.
Tali didn't lick enough portable gaming consoles.

I said closest, not necessarily the best. I was talking more about the experience than the narrative. At times it felt like I was playing something akin to B5.

As far as the story goes, there are a plenty of similarities. Spoiler tags for those who haven't seen the B5 series.
- The Shadow/Reaper war ends with three choices. In B5 the choices are: Shadows (chaos), Vorlons (order), and the third option, which results with the Shadows, Vorlons and all the other old ones leaving the galaxy.
- Both Sheridan and Shepard died and were resurrected.
- And the already mentioned, Minbari/Turian vs. human first contact war, and the animosity it created between the races.

Minbari always struck me as more similar to the Asari culturally, although the Minbari/Turian vs. Human war definitely had that animosity there. Also I think I said this in the last spoiler thread, but I would have paid money for a 4th ending where Shepard gets on the PA and tells the reapers to "get the hell out of our galaxy". :D

Guy I just realized this, if Shepard was indoctrinated, shouldn't Liara detect his indoctrination ? I mean she can read minds and she read Shepard's mind a lot.

sTeLioSco

Banned
RetakeME3 - Cupcake Campaign

How does this work?
We need to raise $1,005.00 to send Bioware 400 cupcakes.

The cupcakes will be baked, and delivered, by http://www.fusscupcakes.com/

1. The cupcakes will be equally divided into three colors:

Red, Blue, Green
Depending on color, each cupcake will have a corresponding letter 'A, B, C'.

2. Everyone who contributes, gets to send a note

We will be attaching notes from the contributors to the boxes of cupcakes. This will allow you to send a personal message to the developers. Your note should be short, no more than one sentence. IE:

"A friend in need is a friend indeed" .

Use your imaginations. Note: No offensive, derogatory or insulting notes will be included. Cheeky notes are fine, but outright offensive content defeats the purpose of this effort. In short, keep it tasteful people ;-)

3. A formal letter will be included:

We will also include an open letter to Bioware, in addition to the notes. We will express our intentions with this campaign, as well as our hopes for the future content.
http://retakeme3cupcakes.chipin.com/retakeme3-cupcake-campaign

Fuss Cupcakes can confirm that a formal order is already in place, and that a deposit has been made. Please see confirmation invoice here (note: My personal information has been redacted for obvious reason).

invoice.jpg

well cupcakes are nice.......

sTeLioSco

Banned
Why would they want to reward BioWare? I don't get it.

you want ppl to sent bombs instead?? :)

"Bioware has been slammed by negativity from all sides in the last few weeks. This is our way, as fans, to drive our message home, but in a (literally) sweet way. We want Bioware to add some more 'sweet' to their 'bittersweet' ending. What better way to do this than with CUPCAKES :-D. "

anyway it was funded but 96 persons,i think if they want to do bigger stuff they can gather even more money......

But im curious if any comments are made from Bioware.

There is an old saying "you can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar". I actually thought this cupcake thing is a good idea. It creates a lot of "goodwill" towards the "the endings bloody suck" campaign and might make the individuals of Bioware more receptive to doing something decent to fix the broken endings. Not to mention there is a nice little dig with the A B C choice all having the same flavour.

There is an old saying "you can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar". I actually thought this cupcake thing is a good idea. It creates a lot of "goodwill" towards the "the endings bloody suck" campaign and might make the individuals of Bioware more receptive to doing something decent to fix the broken endings. Not to mention there is a nice little dig with the A B C choice all having the same flavour.

Should be sending them to EA corporate offices then.

But im curious if any comments are made from Bioware.

Couple of bioware employees posted on the topic here :-

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/10635792&lf=8

Thomas Abram said:
This is AWESOME.

We really do have the best fans in the world. If I'm around I'll definitely take some photos and post them on BSN!

Nathan Matichuk said:
"No matter which one I eat, they're all delicious!"

Bryan Johnson said:
I am just saying if Fuss can pull off a Marauder Shields cake you guys will have saved me from having to find a wedding cake supplier down the road.

Devon Gardner said:
Every part of this is deliciously awesome!

Stanley Woo said:
Before people get a little too freaky with their enthusiasm, I hope people realize that none of this is, in any way, shape or form, required to get us to listen to you. Nor can we be bribed to make things go your way. And finally, no matter what happens, we still love our community.

That said, if this comes to pass (after all, nothing is guaranteed), i will dedicate my cupcake to those who said I should get more than one cupcake.

Cheers!

So they seem to be getting into the spirit of it and hey it never hurts to prey on a guilty conscience.

Some people are desperate and they know hate campaigns aren't effective. I think they are trying to make their point and appeal to BioWare in a positive way. I think it's misguided but I also think it's a better tactic than what other crazy fans have resorted to.

Winner right here.

The ending is so catastrophically bad that people have glossed over serious flaws such as the near complete removal of player agency with the heavy automation of dialogue, how every quest in the game involves shooting a gun (nothing like Thane or Samara's loyalty quest at all in ME3), the lulzworthy journal system, ME2 characters being limited to cameo roles at best, etc.

Funny in retrospect how BioWare hyped the return of RPG elements in ME3 when it turns out ME2 featured more opportunities for player input after all.

I can agree with parts of this but the whole EVERY QUEST IS SHOOTY is simply untrue. There is the Hanharr ambassador quest, Zaeed's quest, The refugee filming quest, Aria's whole bloody quest, and the like. Now if you want to argue that the game has a lot LESS meaningful (ie non fetch) quests in general, then you would be right.

ME3 was also a buggy mess compared to previous games, the entire final mission (sans your goodbyes) was nowhere near as good as the last missions in ME1 or 2, and is implemented, Galactic Readyness was just plain lazy. The game DOES have other flaws, but I was loving it until the last five minutes.

Jackpot

Banned
Yeah, I know. My heart sinks when I think about how few people are actually working on the engine (only two?), and I'm reminded how little interest there seems to be from the industry :(.

That engine is, so far, one of the only tech demoes that screams "next generation" to me. Having an engine be able to do what it's doing, wrapped in solid procedurally generated game code to keep shit interesting. Man, it's a dream game.

What about this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hoD2SlSDPY

77815_146975565353399_146954542022168_273652_2939832_o.jpg

I can agree with parts of this but the whole EVERY QUEST IS SHOOTY is simply untrue. There is the Hanharr ambassador quest, Zaeed's quest, The refugee filming quest, Aria's whole bloody quest, and the like. Now if you want to argue that the game has a lot LESS meaningful (ie non fetch) quests in general, then you would be right.

ME3 was also a buggy mess compared to previous games, the entire final mission (sans your goodbyes) was nowhere near as good as the last missions in ME1 or 2, and is implemented, Galactic Readyness was just plain lazy. The game DOES have other flaws, but I was loving it until the last five minutes.

By "quests" he probably means where you actually go somewhere and do something. These little activities where you walk around and activate a few hotspots are like the bare minimum of what could even be considered interactive.

Aria's probably had the most to it and that was still pretty lame.

Melchiah

Minbari always struck me as more similar to the Asari culturally, although the Minbari/Turian vs. Human war definitely had that animosity there. Also I think I said this in the last spoiler thread, but I would have paid money for a 4th ending where Shepard gets on the PA and tells the reapers to "get the hell out of our galaxy". :D

Definitely agree on the Minbari/Asari similarities, and I'm also on the same wavelength about the 4th ending. =)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Completed the game. Perhaps due to all of the controversy I expected a terrible conclusion to the story in an "it was all a dream" cop-out style ending, and in that regard it wasn't as bad as I expected. What I got was an ending that was conceptually sound (Citadel is the catalyst, need to get to the citadel to open it and destroy the Reapers) but entirely too sloppy, too rushed and without any kind of character closure at all.

In fact that character snippet we did get makes little sense, as everyone has argued (why is the Normandy flying away? How did my squad get on board?). Everything after the beam of light is chock full of flaws, but at the end of the day I defeated the Reapers. That is something to take away from it all. I expected something worse than "it's pretty much what you expected, but terribly executed".

Even reducing the final outcome to an A, B, C choice didn't bother me too much. What did bother me is the nearly identical resulting cinematic. We see absolutely nothing of the outcome of our choice aside from whether Joker has a shiny eye and a girlfriend. We see no celebrating that the Reapers are defeated. No Admiral giving a speech, or loved ones grieving at Shepherds funeral. By leaving all of this to speculation, they've stole a true ending from us. It's like getting to episode 10 of Band of Brothers only for a guy to say "The War is Over" and the credits instantly begin. Only worse, because Band of Brothers isn't 90 hours long and it doesn't tell a story that feels quite so personal.

I will say thought that I adored the game, and the series as a whole. Everything leading up to those final minutes is wonderful. Sure, there are issues with side quests/the journal, and the cheap reaper scanning mechanic. But overall I found the scale to be just right, the atmosphere to be on point and the action to be satisfying. A great game, overall.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So even Bioware employees wants a Marauder Shields cake? I wouldnt think they would dare get into that ending joke of "Marauder Shields wanted to save us from the shitty ending".

I'm almost positive there are some people at BioWare that share the exact same opinion about the ending as the rest of us. They're not going to openly admit that to the public but a hint here and there is going to slip out. Also, Marauder Shields is undeniably funny no matter how you feel about the ending.

mrplaid

I don't blame Penny Arcade for shutting down the Retake ME3 drive, either. This thing with the cupcakes, though? That's pretty classy.

RDreamer

I'm almost positive there are some people at BioWare that share the exact same opinion about the ending as the rest of us. They're not going to openly admit that to the public but a hint here and there is going to slip out. Also, Marauder Shields is undeniably funny no matter how you feel about the ending.

I've been one of the few slight defenders of the ending and even I love Marauder Shields. I have no idea why, but it never fails to get at least a smirk out of me.

I think Bioware should really run with that. Create a nice full ending that most people can be happy with, and then get some of the money back through selling some awesome merch that people would want. Have contests for the best Maurader Shields shirts and then sell the best one. Do that kind of stuff. It would show they can lighten up and have a bit of a laugh with their fans.

Zomba13

There is nothing funny about Marauder H Shields. We killed him because we didn't understand him. He tried to save us but we didn't listen.
Rest in peace...

Arjen

RetakeME3 - Cupcake Campaign

How does this work?
We need to raise $1,005.00 to send Bioware 400 cupcakes.

The cupcakes will be baked, and delivered, by http://www.fusscupcakes.com/

1. The cupcakes will be equally divided into three colors:

Red, Blue, Green
Depending on color, each cupcake will have a corresponding letter 'A, B, C'.

2. Everyone who contributes, gets to send a note

We will be attaching notes from the contributors to the boxes of cupcakes. This will allow you to send a personal message to the developers. Your note should be short, no more than one sentence. IE:

"A friend in need is a friend indeed" .

Use your imaginations. Note: No offensive, derogatory or insulting notes will be included. Cheeky notes are fine, but outright offensive content defeats the purpose of this effort. In short, keep it tasteful people ;-)

3. A formal letter will be included:

We will also include an open letter to Bioware, in addition to the notes. We will express our intentions with this campaign, as well as our hopes for the future content.
http://retakeme3cupcakes.chipin.com/retakeme3-cupcake-campaign

Fuss Cupcakes can confirm that a formal order is already in place, and that a deposit has been made. Please see confirmation invoice here (note: My personal information has been redacted for obvious reason).

invoice.jpg

well cupcakes are nice.......

This is prety cool

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I think I got the best ending. Normandy crashes, door cracks, cut straight to credits. Not that it's any different outcome wise, I just like how that feels more up in the air than the extended Joker endings I've seen.

I had a Mass Effect dream last night. I don't remember the specifics but it had reapers and the satellite dishes from that one multiplayer level. I think I'm becoming indoctrinated.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I liked the first 95%, I was annoyed at a lot of things, especially the mission journals. Poorly done. But what I liked wasn't enough to make up for ending and the conversation with the Reaper on Rannoch. Getting to shoot it in the face again wasn't enough for the horrible exposition of why the Reapers reap.

I really really dislike overly powerful godlike force of nature type enemies like the Reapers. It was what soured me to Freespace 1 and 2 too. Why am I even playing this game if I can't win? So honestly, I'd have liked a happier ending to offset the annoyance of the reapers. I don't mind a Shepard dies type ending if it's done well (think SOTC). But for annoyingly powerful enemies like the reapers, I want to feel like I kicked their ass. Because really, if an enemy is a force of nature and can't be beat, they're nothing but a plot device and not an antagonist. Just makes me lose interest.

smh

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I rushed right through just to see the ending too......so where was Thane?

Arjen

You can meet in him in the hospital, he then saves the salarian councilor in the citadel attack, and then another hosptial visit. You missed out then, last scene with him is pretty damn good.

.GqueB.

Banned
The ending really has messed with my ability to enjoy new games, too. I find myself turning on newer and even older games and trying to play them, only to let them sit a while and then eventually turn them off.

I just feel the ending of ME3 is a 'wrong' that needs to be 'righted' and I can't really enjoy anything until that happens. Never really been affected by a game like this before and it's kinda embarrassing.

Sigh.

You're right... that's very embarrassing.

I would suggest going back and at least seeing his death scene, it's one of the best moments of the game, especially if you agree to pray with his son. I never really used Thane in two, but really enjoyed his roll in 3.

RDreamer

I was insanely sad during Thane's death scene, since it was like a one two punch with Mordin's death happening not too long before...

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Infantry-wise, the Collectors were the toughest force in all of ME.

- Scions
- Abominations
- Paraetorians
- Harbinger Helpers
- Assassins
- Rotating Platforms

Only Banshees and the final Marauder boss fight even come close.

.GqueB.

Banned
Most gamers don't think of putting it on hardest difficulty first just to enjoy the game.

This doesn't make any sense. If you aren't having fun with a game because the combat isn't difficult or engaging, the obvious thing to do is up the difficulty. You can't fault the game when you simply chose not to.

I had the same feeling when I first started the game. I was tearing through the combat segments. Turned up the difficulty and all was well. Some games are more fun when they're harder. Look no further than Batman: AA (but not AC).

Infantry-wise, the Collectors were the toughest force in all of ME.

- Scions
- Abominations
- Paraetorians
- Harbinger Helpers
- Assassins
- Rotating Platforms

Only Banshees and the final Marauder boss fight even come close.

It was weird that there were no Collectors in ME3. I find it strange that I somehow destroyed all of them when I blew up their base, surely there had to be more out harvesting people while I was attacking them.

I really wanted to see an exchange with Javik after he saw a collector.

gokieks

I honestly don't understand people saying that Marauder Shields was a difficult encounter. Was he tougher than a normal Marauder? Because I played through as a Sentinel on Insanity, and I just shot him a few times, moved on and never noticed anything special about him. The only thought I spared him (before the meme took off) was "huh, I wonder why there's just a lone Marauder here".

Top Bottom