• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's been 8 years since Mass Effect 3 and I'm still mad

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
It's already in development.
Pre development last I heard. I think they even said they're not going to work on it until after the next Dragon Age.

Wouldn't be surprised it's cancelled a year or two from now.

Greedings

ME1 was one of my favourite games ever. 2 was good.
3? I don’t even remember playing it it left such a poor impression on me. I can’t be mad. It was completely forgettable.

Bragr

Banned
Pre development last I heard. I think they even said they're not going to work on it until after the next Dragon Age.

Wouldn't be surprised it's cancelled a year or two from now.
It's likely some ways off considering Bioware's current situation, but after Dragon Age it's the biggest cow for them to milk, and there are millions of gamers with a deep connection to that franchise, so I can't see a scenario where the next generation won't contain at least one new Mass Effect in some form. Hopefully.

mcz117chief

The only thing good about 3 is Javik and the multiplayer. Everything else is hot garbage. The whole story is an atrocity that completely ignores or goes against the lore established in the first game. Really, the entire story makes no sense when you take into account the information we were given by Vigil in the first game.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
The only thing good about 3 is Javik and the multiplayer. Everything else is hot garbage. The whole story is an atrocity that completely ignores or goes against the lore established in the first game. Really, the entire story makes no sense when you take into account the information we were given by Vigil in the first game.
Remember Sovereign's "THERE IS A REALM OF EXISTENCE SO FAR BEYOND YOUR OWN YOU CANNOT EVEN IMAGINE IT. I AM BEYOND YOUR COMPREHENSION. I AM SOVEREIGN."

Yeah I miss that.

The endings were disappointing, sure, but I can't be "mad" at ME3 because it's a brilliant game and I view the whole game as the trilogy's ending anyway.

The trilogy deserves a proper remake.

Ovek

7Member7
Replayed all three whilst in lockdown recently and I'm more sad now at ME3s ending than mad.

Everyone gets mad at the very ending but everyone should be mad at everything from London to the last cut scene, it was a heavily rushed shit show that was slapped together at the very end of development and it was fucking awful.

royox

Remember Sovereign's "THERE IS A REALM OF EXISTENCE SO FAR BEYOND YOUR OWN YOU CANNOT EVEN IMAGINE IT. I AM BEYOND YOUR COMPREHENSION. I AM SOVEREIGN."

Yeah I miss that.

It totally looks like they cornered themselves and they couldn't solve it on the last game.

Or maybe they were right...cause the main plot of the reapers was:

18242582.jpg

And that was "beyond the comprehension" of a lot of people, as Sovereign said lol.

royox

Just posting to say that I replayed the Legendary Edition and I am not mad anymore. I felt it could be better but this time everything had a more nostalgic feeling.

The Legendary Edition having ALL the DLC and being able to play The Citadel DLC before the end of ME3 may have helped a lot.

I should go.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
There are a couple of things that pissed me off about this game, the ending like you said. But also I saved the Rachni queen and they don't really pay that off that well. Overall the game is good story wise, but ya that ending is poop.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Just posting to say that I replayed the Legendary Edition and I am not mad anymore. I felt it could be better but this time everything had a more nostalgic feeling.

The Legendary Edition having ALL the DLC and being able to play The Citadel DLC before the end of ME3 may have helped a lot.

I should go.

Nice.

mass effect is still one of a kind despite its downs. One of the best games ever made.

Filben

and I am not mad anymore
Great to hear. It's okay to be sad or unsatisfied but you shouldn't be mad. However, it just shows how much of an impact and affect this game had and still has to many.

Personally, despite the ending, choices still mattered to me in the moment I had to choose. It mattered at the time, it mattered for quests and companions shortly afterwards or in the next game. The ending in ME3 never took that experience I had away from me.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Worst part of the game was that it opened the floodgates to player entitlement and dictating design. If BioWare hadnt buckled and stuck with their original fuckups with the ending (which I personally didnt mind. The game had worse issues than "pick a color") and let sleeping dogs lie then I think we wouldnt have half of the issues today with deliberate "player interference" when it comes to projects.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member

I should go.

Did you go for the secret 4th ending?

Last edited:

K' Dash

ME3 was on par with 2 until the last hour.

It also does some stupid shit to retcon some decisions you made in the previous games if you don’t do the “canon” stuff, thankfully I played the games as intended and never noticed this until people started pointing it out.

ssringo

Mass Effect 3 was the first of 3 games that were 3rd in their respective franchise released in 3 consecutive years that completely soured me on EA.

Mass Effect 3 - 2012
Dead Space 3 - 2013
Dragon Age Inquisition 2014

No anger, just maximum disappointment.

Nah, destruction with Shep alive at the end forever. The only good reaper is a dead reaper.
Bingo. Destroy is the right ending. Nothing will ever change my mind. The Geth and EDI, and all AI really, are not living things. They are machines, so destroying them is not genocide. There is literally no moral quandary involved in Destroy.

Control is a bad choice because if Shep can so easily take control of the Reapers, the same could be done again later on by someone evil.

Synthesis is just straight up nonsensical space magic.

Last edited:

Phobos Base

Even before the ending ME3 had some head scratching moments, like how Cerberus were suddenly this massive evil force with enough power to invade the Citadel, or that it largely made ME2 a pointless side quest. Although the most disappointing part for me was how little your choices mattered for the final battle, you'd spend all this time making choices of who to side with, form alliances and it just changed the cut scenes slightly. That said, it did play the best of the trilogy and combat was a lot of fun.

wipeout364

Mass effect should never have made the games interconnected. While it is the coolest thing ever I suspect it made a mess of Mass effect 3's ability to have a good storyline that tied things up. Mass Effect 2 was clever having that death scene at the start to create a clean slate, but that was only going to work once.

Teddy_bytheway

Neo Member
The Mass Effect series is easily one of my favorite franchises of all time, but I will never get over how much of a letdown this game's ending (last 20-30 minutes) is/was. Even after purchasing the Legendary collection, I still can't bring myself to replay any part of the original trilogy. RIP Marauders Shields.

Fbh

4 years after my last post in this thread I've sort of just come to accept the "destroy" ending as the one true ending.
It's basically a rejection of all the stuff that happens at the end. The star child comes out and gives you his shitty explanation and Shepard just goes:
I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

and kills them all.

Worst part of the game was that it opened the floodgates to player entitlement and dictating design. If BioWare hadnt buckled and stuck with their original fuckups with the ending (which I personally didnt mind. The game had worse issues than "pick a color") and let sleeping dogs lie then I think we wouldnt have half of the issues today with deliberate "player interference" when it comes to projects.

I don't think players were being entitled.
The ending was basically exactly what Bioware said it WOULDN'T be, people getting mad about not getting what they were promised aren't being entitled

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

If there is anything to be mad about when it comes to Mass Effect, it is how Andromeda turned out to be a complete $hit show and did NOTHING to take the franchise forward, to me the damage that game did put paid to how soon we would end up getting a true sequel, it took the legendary edition of the trilogy to set the record straight and give a reminder of how good the games were....to this day nobody else, (apart from Guardians of the Galaxy) have managed to give Mass Effect a run for its money...dodgy ending or no dodgy ending for part 3...

MAX PAYMENT

I just recently replayed the game, heavily modded. It was an incredible game. Very tense. A lot of the mods were very, very good. But the ending literally re-pissed me off. It was like reliving the disappointment all over again lol.

Just completed the legendary edition on my steam deck. First time playing. Did basically everything in all three games and really liked it. Like 100 hrs or so. Some great moments and a great sci universe. Highlights were the score, the dialogue and characters. I was anticipating a MUCH worse ending than what I got. I thought the 3 choices were thought provoking and had non were clean cut, which is what most of the choices in the games felt like. I was actually more mad about how they made Cerberus and the Illusive man something you couldn’t side with in 3. I was honestly confused. I liked Cerberus and the illusive man the most out of the franchise and then suddenly he’s evil for reasons blah blah. So lame.

Now I have no idea what it must have been like back in the day. Maybe I’m accustomed to disappointing endings to franchises at this point and have in some form of cope mechanism put very little judgement into them.

royox

Now I have no idea what it must have been like back in the day. Maybe I’m accustomed to disappointing endings to franchises at this point and have in some form of cope mechanism put very little judgement into them.

In the original version of the game, origina ORIGINAL without any patch or the Director's Cut they released (the version we can see now in LE) the whole part from when you destroy the Hades Cannon (the part where you have to survive countless hordes of reaper troops) and the credits of the game was an absolute nonsense. Perhahs is because they had no time to end the game (SWTOR was coming and was going to eat their own sales) but just the cutscenes were wrong and full of mistakes, to the point that it felt something was missing in purpose (leading to the Indoctrination theory).

And then after picking one ending you would get the credits withouth knowing the outcome of the battle and a little window would appear saying "Congratulations for ending ME3, be excited for all the DLC we are going to release" now.

Like...dude.

MH3M3D

Its about the journey, not the destination. All of Game of Thrones also wasnt ruined by a couple of bad last episodes.

Toots

Gold Member

I should go.
Congratulations !
That's beautiful, it means you've grown as a human being and became more tolerant.
That's exactly what Rose tint my Gaff is about !

I beat Andromeda recently. After all the patches, it was pretty good. The main plot wasn’t as good, but was passable. But not enough over the top renegade options - those can be hilarious!

Gojiira

Yes. It's been more than 8 years since those words were said

Akael_Bayn-choices-abc.png

And we ORIGINALLY got as ending the same cutscene with diferent colors:
6fe.jpg

But let's be honest, that started one of the biggest shitstorms I've ever seen in the videogame industry. The shitstorm was so big EAware was forced to RE-DO the endings adding:
-New Cutscenes
-1 New ENDING
-An epilogue to all the endings explaining what the fuck happent
-Changing cutscenes that were already in the original endings

We also got a lot of memes, one of the best i remember:
a03.jpg

The denial of the endings was so big the fans started to believe the endings were FAKE and the real ending was what we know as the INDOCTRINATION THEORY (a theory that says that the last part with Shepard and the IA-Child never happens and it's all in Shepard's head while fighting Indoctrination to chose the DESTROY ending).

Also they Added a "fuck you" ending where you refuse to choose/shoot at the AI-child and we lose in this cycle but the next cycle will beat the reapers.

Nothing of this gave me any feeling of "closure". I never got to kick Harbinger's ass, only some minor reapers. I never got to kick TIM's ass, his whole stuff in ME3 ends in a looong conversation where he kills you, he suicides or you press a button and kill him. Not the final boss battle I was expecting for years.

And here I am, in this "pseudo-not-E3" waiting for somebody to announce a Mass Effect trilogy remaster to give them another chance on doing the correct stuff and solve the ending.

Still mad. Will never forgive. Will never forget.
And this is why you never push out the original writer…
ME1 heavily suggested the Reapers weren’t the biggest threat. And the original writer confirmed that his original concept for the Reapers was much more nuanced, they themselves were trying to prevent the collapse of the universe and needed as much collective intelligence as possible in order to do so hence the need to assimilate other races. So they were essentially preserving all the different races while working towards preventing extinction. Would have made the Join ending make sense and more of a sacrifice than a loss, Destroy could have been several possibilities ie convince, fight etc but would leave the universe facing extinction unless you had built up the resources/allegiances over the series, They could have done a Peace ending where the Reapers instead are convinced to work with the Alliance rather than assimilate etc.
Yep EA fucked up big time.

Top Bottom