• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

MechaX

He could do all the missions, just dont waste any time looking for minerals and artifacts on barren planets, waste of time for little credits and XP. Not to mention some of them are in the worst spots possible.

Yeah, even doing all of the side-quests, collecting most of the minerals/artifacts, and doing the DLC only took 20 hours for me. At the very least, make sure to do the Cerberus Missions and the missions that Wrex and Garrus give you after talking to them enough (and also do a multi-part Geth mission, as it gives you something that you need to give to Tali).

And for laughs, do the Conrad Verner side-quest too (which really only involves talking to him two/three times).

Grisby

Wow just booted up the original Mass Effect. The graphics sure have come a long way.
Yep. Performance wise as well. I thought that ME2 felt like it had a big leap from the original. Kinda like with Uncharted 2 really.

For the console version anyways.

C4Lukins

Yep. Performance wise as well. I thought that ME2 felt like it had a big leap from the original. Kinda like with Uncharted 2 really.

For the console version anyways.

The texture loading did not bother me at the time, but now I am noticing it on every scene. It still is not a bad looking game, but we have come a long way. And while the variety of weapons and armor is nice to go back to, damn they all look so many levels below ME2 and ME3. Anderson still holds up well.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The texture loading did not bother me at the time, but now I am noticing it on every scene. It still is not a bad looking game, but we have come a long way.

I keep hearing about the texture loading problem of ME1, is that only a problem on the 360? I never noticed it on the PC version.

ME3 on PC does have 1 texture loading problem though...when im done with a mission and it go back to the planet description, textures takes 3 secs to load properly on the planet itself.

I keep hearing about the texture loading problem of ME1, is that only a problem on the 360? I never noticed it on the PC version.

ME3 on PC does have 1 texture loading problem though...when im done with a mission and it go back to the planet description, textures takes 3 secs to load properly on the planet itself.

Certainly a lot of the wonkiness of the 360 version of ME1 has been fixed in PC version.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Does seem different, the Volus said they were to protect organics from devil machines , while the Catalyst said he created the Reapers

BSN Discussion about it from two 2 years ago: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to...index/970146/1
Poor, poor fool.

BTW, I noticed that the momentum of this thread has finally decreased.

The PC version of Mass Effect 3 has already been discounted to £18 at Play.com. Surely this can't bode well for sales?
http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/1925...rlrefer=search
I can't remember where, but there was an article that discussed whether or not EA would respond to the negative criticism by reducing the game's price.

I don't think it's happened in the US, but I know that generally the UK's prices drop fairly quick, at least from hearing about it in other threads.

C4Lukins

It does not occur all the time, and it is simply distracting not something to really complain about. But yeah on the 360 you get a lot of entering a room or a transition in a cutscene where it becomes quite noticeable. As I recall it is Unreal engine so it is not that unusual. But Bioware definetly did a much better job in the sequals.

nel e nel

Wow just booted up the original Mass Effect. The graphics sure have come a long way.

Yeah, I did a lengthy post upthread about my impressions post ME2/3. The conversations have been much improved too.

I dont know, theres something about the first game that still makes me feel like it looks the best of three. Maybe its the better use of film grain.

Hmmm...maybe it's the 360, maybe it's my TV, but the film grain made it look hazy and bleached out. I took it off immediately.

- J - D -

Yeah, the graphics have much improved over each game, but so has the voice acting. It's fun to go back to ME1 (I haven't replayed it in about 3-4 years) to hear the actors play their roles for the first time. The voice actors for Garrus and Tali, as well as Mark Meer, really stepped up their games. Jennifer Hale was always good, though.

hateradio

As I said long ago: After anger comes apathy. And that's what's really going to hurt Bioware.
We'll see. We're only a week away from PAX, right? Unless BW presents something mind-blowing with DAIII, I won't really care. ME3.1 fan service may help.

- J - D -

Yeah, I did a lengthy post upthread about my impressions post ME2/3. The conversations have been much improved too.

Do you mean the voice acting, as I mentioned? Or do you actually mean the writing and dialogue options? On the contrary, I feel that's taken a hit, even without considering the ending.

C4Lukins

So a bit off topic here. But I do not want to bump another thread. Going through the original Mass Effect again, wondering if I can successfully use weapons I am not trained in or is there a way to get trained in them?

hateradio

My point exactly.
But it doesn't mean I won't get it regardless. I'm indoctrinated by BW; I'm a sad case. :|

So a bit off topic here. But I do not want to bump another thread. Going through the original Mass Effect again, wondering if I can successfully use weapons I am not trained in or is there a way to get trained in them?
I believe you can only use weapons based on your class.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
But it doesn't mean I won't get it regardless. I'm indoctrinated by BW; I'm a sad case. :|

I believe you can only use weapons based on your class.

You can learn new weapon talents after you have beaten the game once, something like that. I've beaten the game with my infiltrator, and in the next game with my adept, i had a choice to add Sniper rifle as a talent.

You can use any weapon, at reduced damage, cooling and accuracy.

SaberVulcan

You can learn new weapon talents after you have beaten the game once, something like that. I've beaten the game with my infiltrator, and in the next game with my adept, i had a choice to add Sniper rifle as a talent.

I think you just get to choose any weapon. I beat the game as an Infiltrator and Vanguard, but the Vanguard had an Assault Rifle because he was my second character.

IIRC, anyway.

hao chi

The texture loading did not bother me at the time, but now I am noticing it on every scene. It still is not a bad looking game, but we have come a long way. And while the variety of weapons and armor is nice to go back to, damn they all look so many levels below ME2 and ME3. Anderson still holds up well.

Did you install it? Helps a ton.

Oh, and since the film grain filter was mentioned, I turned that shit off right away.

Patryn

Once you earn the achievement for that weapon (get x number of kills with it), on any following game you gain the option to learn an extra skill. You can pick a weapon skill to become proficient with that type of weapon.

In fact, this extends to all abilities, actually. Once you have the achievement, you unlock the skill. This can actually screw up Sentinels, because if you pick a non-weapon skill, they actually learn so many actual abilities, if you pick either a tech or biotic ability, you can lose it if you choose to invest points to learn all their native abilities. It's a limitation in the size of the pause ability bar. The last ability you learn replaces another ability that was on the bar. Happened to me on a playthrough.

A lot of people don't realize it, actually, but all the achievements in ME1 actually confer benefits on later characters.

Coxswain

In Mass Effect 1, you learn the weapon talents by getting the achivements for killing a certain number of enemies (it's either 50 or 250, I'm too lazy to check) with that weapon.

It carries over even if you load a save, so you can save in front of those space monkeys or those crabs on Virmire (or any other actual enemy), load your save, kill them all, load your save again, kill them all again, etc. If you're playing on the PC, you can also just give yourself the achievements through console commands.

Once you have the achievement, you can pick the bonus talent at character creation (ie: I'm pretty sure you don't get it on New Game Plus, if it's your first time through).

Zen

Banned
Sure, skip the best game in the series.*

This first one is the best [art of the series, it has just aged the most relative to the other entries. Anyone that doesn't play the original is missing out on a high mark in story telling in the medium.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I'm gonna replay the series soon too in hopes that by the time I get to the end of ME3, there'll be some new DLC ending or something.

Anyways how's vanguard in ME1? I know biotic charge isn't there until ME2, and that's half the fun of vanguard. Is it still a fun class to play in ME1?

I almost always went infiltrator in ME1 because of how overpowered that class was.

I think a lot of my love for the Mass Effect universe comes from reading the codex and since I read the majority of the codex while playing the original game, I can't separate the two in my mind. The original will always hold a special place in my mind, no matter what came after.

sTeLioSco

Banned
cupcakesir.jpg

2012-03-29123002.jpg

https://twitter.com/#!/masseffect/status/185440850380206080

I'm gonna replay the series soon too in hopes that by the time I get to the end of ME3, there'll be some new DLC ending or something.

Anyways how's vanguard in ME1? I know biotic charge isn't there until ME2, and that's half the fun of vanguard. Is it still a fun class to play in ME1?

I almost always went infiltrator in ME1 because of how overpowered that class was.

Ha, you thought Infiltrator was overpowered in ME1, the Biotic classes were by far the most overpowered, and I loved shotguns in ME1.

Vanguards are probably the best class in ME1.

zroid

Banned
Random question that may have been addressed earlier, but I am unable to find corroboration through searching, so here I go:

Obviously this game has a ton of bugs, especially the PS3 version (mine), but has anyone experienced this thing where characters' faces appear to be "melting"? It's pretty bizarre if you see it. It happened every now and then to me with several characters, the most frequent being EDI.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, it might be hard to imagine, but basically a particular body part will droop down to a certain length as if it's melting. The character will continue to be rendered this way for the duration of the mission, unless I save and reload, wherein the render will be refreshed.

I guess I should have gotten a photo, but I think if you've seen this before you'll know what I'm talking about.

sTeLioSco

Banned
193445.jpg

Hi Everyone

Today, we received the 400 cupcakes you collectively sent us through your donations to express your feelings about the endings of Mass Effect 3.
We want you to know; we are indeed listening to all fan response and acknowledge your feedback. We appreciate creative and thoughtful attempts like this one.

The gesture certainly gained our attention both with its creativity and deliciousness. However, while we do appreciate that fans were creative in how they expressed their views, after a lot of discussion, we decided ultimately the reason that they were sent was not done in the context of celebrating the work or accomplishment of the Mass Effect 3 team. This is a subtle, but important aspect in determining how to pass the feedback to the team.

BioWare regularly works with many deserving charities, as such it was decided that rather than passing out the cupcakes to staff or wasting good food, to donate them on behalf of our fans to a local Edmonton youth shelter. We know that for the kids that have to use this facility, something as simple as a cupcake is a rare treat and would definitely brighten up their day. Thank you to the fine folks at the local youth shelter for accepting the donation and to the fans who donated the cupcakes.

Please keep providing your feedback on Mass Effect 3, we’re still listening.
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/10635792/88

Did you guys at least read the notes that were attached to the boxes?
193447.jpg

Yep. I have all of the messages (not all were cut out by Fuss, they are the white print-out at back). And those are being kept by the team.
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/10635792/91

Lothars

This first one is the best [art of the series, it has just aged the most relative to the other entries. Anyone that doesn't play the original is missing out on a high mark in story telling in the medium.
I think the first one is a great game but I wouldn't say it's the best of the three, I think I would put it as the worst of the three but It's still a fantastic game and one of my favorite of the generation.

I think one of the best things bioware did is make an app for the codex's

I love being able to read them without having to be in the game.

Coxswain

Vanguard is pretty fun in ME1. It's not quite as invincible as Infiltrator and Soldier are (Infini-Barrier is just not as powerful as Infini-Immunity, but most of the time it's almost as good), and unlike Sniper Rifles there isn't really much of a niche for Shotguns once you figure out that Pistols are far and away the strongest weapon in the game (unless you just really like Shotguns, anyway). But you get basically all the Biotic abilities except for Stasis and Singularity, and those are more fun than the Infiltrator's tech abilities. And if you're playing on Insanity, having Warp to counteract the Immunity that almost all the non-Geth enemies have really helps you kill things more quickly.

Edit:
I haven't played ME1 in a long time, but I remember it as being generally humorless.
Someone's making a killing out there.

(Though yeah, ME1 didn't have nearly the amount of humour that 2 and 3 had.)

Fathead

The gesture certainly gained our attention both with its creativity and deliciousness. However, while we do appreciate that fans were creative in how they expressed their views, after a lot of discussion, we decided ultimately the reason that they were sent was not done in the context of celebrating the work or accomplishment of the Mass Effect 3 team. This is a subtle, but important aspect in determining how to pass the feedback to the team.

In other words, sending cupcakes that point out the lies we (as in Bioware) told is mean.

Patryn

I think the first one is a great game but I wouldn't say it's the best of the three, I think I would put it as the worst of the three but It's still a fantastic game and one of my favorite of the generation.

I think one of the best things bioware did is make an app for the codex's

I love being able to read them without having to be in the game.

I will forever be longing for an RPG series that fulfills the promise of ME1 and eschews the more action-driven focus of the other ME games.

In other words, sending cupcakes that point out our lies is mean.

I think the sentiment was more "Why should we benefit when we've upset our fans?"

sTeLioSco

Banned
They fed kids with the cupcakes? That's pretty nice of them. They turned nerd-rage into charity.

"
Eain wrote...

Hey Bioware, you know what I find funny?

You're being offered three colours to choose from, and using your own critical thinking you've made your own decision and said "We choose option #4".

Giving Shepard that same choice would go a long way to showing you understand where this went wrong."

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Ha, you thought Infiltrator was overpowered in ME1, the Biotic classes were by far the most overpowered, and I loved shotguns in ME1.

Vanguards are probably the best class in ME1.

Ha really?

It was such a cakewalk as Infiltrator.

I one shot Matriarch Benezia. And every non-boss enemy was basically one or two-shotted with a pistol.

Patryn

"
Eain wrote...

You're being offered three colours to choose from, and using your own critical thinking you've made your own decision and said "We choose option #4".

Giving Shepard that same choice would go a long way to showing you understand where this went wrong."

I hadn't thought about that. The metaphor is so perfect it's hilarious.

- J - D -

"
Eain wrote...

Wow, good catch.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
193445.jpg

Hi Everyone

BioWare regularly works with many deserving charities, as such it was decided that rather than passing out the cupcakes to staff or wasting good food, to donate them on behalf of our fans to a local Edmonton youth shelter. We know that for the kids that have to use this facility, something as simple as a cupcake is a rare treat and would definitely brighten up their day. Thank you to the fine folks at the local youth shelter for accepting the donation and to the fans who donated the cupcakes.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/10635792/88

The cynical part of me read this as "If you guys put something in there intended to give us all massive diarrhea, now poor people will be treated to that. Thank you for your efforts."

- J - D -

You know, next-gen Mass Effect has so much promise.

I mean, if you just forget what happened to the Citadel and most of organic life in the galaxy.

Coxswain

Ha really?

It was such a cakewalk as Infiltrator.

I one shot Matriarch Benezia. And every non-boss enemy was basically one or two-hotted with a pistol.

To be honest, Mass Effect 1 had such a poorly designed difficulty/power curve that every* class was what you would call 'overpowered' in pretty much any other game. I think Infiltrator actually is technically the most efficient/powerful class in the game in terms of killing speed (I forget the specifics, but basically if you add up all of those "+0.5% damage" tiny little skill effects, Infiltrators get a couple percent more than any other class). That only really comes into play because Biotics are largely pointless once you hit the point where Barrier/Immunity renders you functionally invincible. Biotic classes break the game earlier than Infiltrators, though, because you gain the ability to be basically-invincible the entire time via every enemy being ragdolled constantly.

Either way, it doesn't really make a noticeable difference. You'll walk all over the game pretty much equally easily whether you play Infiltrator or Vanguard.

*Maybe not Engineer, since they didn't have Barrier or Immunity and as such could actually, theoretically, sometimes, maybe, die.

Top Bottom