• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
I guess BW doesn't do April fools jokes.

VgtJh.png

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I guess BW doesn't do April fools jokes.

They specifically said there was no ME3 info coming out.

Honestly, at this point, I don't think introducing an April Fool's joke would go over the best.

Has BW done april fool's in the past? I can't remember any off-hand.

edit: ^^Lmao.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Lol, Toonami's trolling ME3 hardcore right now.

Talks about the face import bug, journal problems, ME2 squadmates being reduced to cameos, and ending "choices". 8.5 overall.

He accidentally the tweet.

But who was tweet?

I like how a review framed by a robot from the early 2000s and brought back for nostalgic marketing is still more honest about the game than the gaming journalists.

Lol, Toonami's trolling ME3 hardcore right now.

Talks about the face import bug, journal problems, ME2 squadmates being reduced to cameos, and ending "choices". 8.5 overall.
ME3 is the gift that keeps on giving. Also: best night ever.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I actually thought that Tom's critique was quite high level. It was brief and only explained the things we needed to know, not the things we didn't need to know.

Well, when other developers are making fun of the ending, you kind of expect them to be butthurt

Devs give each other shit all the time, though. That happens in every industry.

This hive mind bullshit that they've displayed is just pathetic. I expect them to tow the company line, I don't expect them to be unprofessional about it.

The thing with the cupcakes was annoying.

Swag

Just finished the game, felt like I was stuck in a bad Shymalan movie for 2 hours. Jesus can't believe I trusted Bioware not to fuck this up.

hateradio

Just finished the game, felt like I was stuck in a bad Shymalan movie for 2 hours. Jesus can't believe I trusted Bioware not to fuck this up.
But how do you really feel?

Special Offer:
Hugs DLC $14.99 $6.99

April Fools! It's still $14.99

I know, that's why it's a continuation of the SW process. What other kinds of fans does BW have?

They have the exact opposite of enraged fans. They have the scary ones that live in the game worlds, dismissing reality for FenrisWhoCannotPossiblyBeGayInOtherPeople'sPlaythroughs.

hateradio

They have the exact opposite of enraged fans. They have the scary ones that live in the game worlds, dismissing reality for FenrisWhoCannotPossiblyBeGayInOtherPeople'sPlaythroughs.
I don't understand this. What? NVM. I don't want to understand it. Also, Fenris is such a throw-away character. I guess BW must be happy with their five fans.

Hero

I actually thought that Tom's critique was quite high level. It was brief and only explained the things we needed to know, not the things we didn't need to know.

Yeah, I'll agree with this. Did a lot better than most big publications and outlets did.

Was the canon ending the same one that was in that leaked script?

The leaked script only had the Control ending. Part of the reason why people were losing their shit so early about how stupid the spoilers were. If only we knew how far the rabbit hole of stupidity went.

Swag

If it makes you feel better, some of us have been stuck in this shamaladingdong nightmare for weeks/months.
This doesn't make me feel better, however I feel your pain.
The leaked script only had the Control ending. Part of the reason why people were losing their shit so early about how stupid the spoilers were. If only we knew how far the rabbit hole of stupidity went.
I thought people were just exaggerating, sadly I've been proven wrong.

def sim

So I just finished it and loved the ending (Legend) why am I a moron?

You could look in the OP if you're wondering why we don't like it. You probably can let go of the super defensive attitude though.

edit: This is a quick copy and paste of some other post from earlier. I figured I might as well throw something in this post since it's TOTP.

Okay, I have many, many, MANY (+100) problems with the ending(s) of Mass Effect.

But one that particularly bothers me is, having seen and experienced them all, I don't feel like a hero... or that I made a good choice...

Actually, I feel the total opposite. I feel like the greatest war criminal that has ever lived that just did more damage and destruction by my own hands than the entire Reaper fleet combined.

Every single choice makes me feel sick, because every single choice seems morally and ethically wrong.

In CONTROL, Shepard is arrogant enough to believe that (S)he can control the god-like Reapers, while others with far more knowledge, skill, power, and understanding have failed to do so. Beyond the fact you're trusting the stupid kid, who tells you you'll DIE (meaning you don't even know if it'll work; you just die and hope for the best), it felt to me like that only delays the cycle for another 50,000 years or so until Reaper Shepard comes back and slaughters everyone.

In SYNTHESIS, I just feel sick about it all. It reeks of genetic homogeny, like some terrible ethnic clensing that relies on the horrid logic that it is our GENETICS that cause war, not our character or beliefs, and if we all were the same, we'd have peace. That's some World War 2 putrid maxims right there. Beyond the fact that you then forcefully violate everyone on a genetic level against their wishes and alter their very core all on your own, I wager so many of those out there dying for their cultural freedom against the Reapers would have rather died in the war instead of being mutated into some new lifeform. Even then, do you REALLY think that just because everyone's eyes glow green that they'll put aside old grudges and war will never happen again, or that this brand of synthetics won't build new synthetics that'll rebel? It's such a twisted belief, I can't actually believe it's implied to be the "BEST" ending of the three.

In DESTROY, which does what we set out to do, I'd thought this as the best ending... if we didn't go with overkill and slaughter an entire race of sentient creatures, along with a personal close friend like EDI. That's like firebombing a house because of a few termites. It's given as a "all I know is how to kill" option, the "evil" option with the renegade color scheme, and I felt awful at the notion that I'd commit mass genocide against a benevolent species without even giving their fate more than a single protest.

Regardless, even after these three choices are so ethically morose and disgusting, we then blow up the Mass Relays. You all know the score by now. You've heard the arguments.

Either 1) we just reduced everything to cosmic dust (because Arrival SAYS that's what happens) and exterminated everything we know and love, or 2) we assume it's a "different" explosion (somehow, someway) that just destroys the relays (though Joker wasn't fleeing a "benevolent" energy beam), yet we still strand billions of races far from their homeworlds over a desolate and destroyed hunk of burning earth that can in no way support it's own population, let alone billions of others alien species that can't even EAT our food.

Either way, we've firebombed the whole universe into a dark age of pain, death, and despair. There is no victory to be had, really. We stripped the victory from them. At this point, I would even take a "victory through death" approach, where all these species could've lived and died on the worlds they cared about, with the people they knew and loved, rather than being stuck on the ass-end of the galaxy, doomed to a slow, painful fate of starvation, disease, and in-fighting.

And all of this is because Shepard made that choice to do so. It wasn't the Starkid or the Reapers that made the choice; it was Shepard. It wasn't what any of these cultures, species, and races wanted, fought for, and died for, but it's what Shepard forced upon them. The Krogan never can return to Tuchanka to see their race have a future. The Quarians can never reclaim Rannoch or make true peace with the geth. The Asari lose their homeworld, never to return to its beauty and prestige. The Turians will die from lack of dextro-based meals. The Volus can't even breathe our air. And earth is a scorched pile of rubble that even Wrex thinks is beyond saving, so all of humanity is pretty much screwed. We can't go colonize new planets or find a new home; we're stuck on a hunk of burning, dead rock like the rest of the entire armada.

Again, all because of Shepard.

I did not feel like a hero... because I wasn't one. I was a villain. A twisted, misguided, psychotic villain that assumed that blowing up civilization would be okay in the name of the greater good. I didn't feel like my Shepard saved anyone; I felt unworthy of the Stargazer refering to me in such a reverent manner. I'm not a hero.

I'm the guy who nuked the galaxy into ignorance, death, and dissolution.

All because Shepard couldn't be bothered to question a shady, illogical AI brat who didn't even give us a single, solitary reason to believe any of the vile crap he spat out of his glowing mouth.

Top Bottom