• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Don't be naive. The Mass Effect 3 ending is probably causing Forbes the most views on their blogs since the day they went digital.

They are only on 'our side' as long as that side / niche is available. They work by the same mechanisms of global commercial journalism as everyone else, which makes all -unfortunately- kind of predictable.

Eventually, Forbes will be lured into the PR trap just as much as any other outlet. You are either with or against the PR. And even the 'against' is itself a category to be exploited.

The key word here is 'exploited'. That's what PR does, most of the time. The PR dude who took over from the now-famous "OceanMarketing" is really the exception to the rule, applying some good old mom-and-pop store logic to how to actually promote a product and keep the market clean. I really hope that is the future of PR, but I think it's future is focused on an ever greater illusion of control.

I'm not being naive the uptake gaming articles started long before ME3 go look at the writers post history. I don't know why they are suddenly okay with more gaming articles, but they are and I was just commenting on that fact.

replytojustin.jpg

So good, this Mass Effect fiasco has easily been my favorite topic in a long time.

Omega

Banned
The cynical part of me says that Forbes might be seizing an opportunity to reach out to a whole new demographic that didn't care about financial magazines before. If so, mission successful. They've got the attention of tens of thousands of angry and/or disappointed Mass Effect fans.

Whether your theory or is true or not, fine with me.

I'm just happy someone with a voice is calling all these reviewers on their bullshit. We've done it for years, but these game journalists put themselves on such a pedestal and wouldn't listen to underlings like us.

I still don't see why I or any other gamer would subscribe to Forbes. I'm inclined to believe it's not them trying to get a new demographic. To my knowledge they're just a financial business. They don't have other areas like entertainment divisions or something that would appeal to us.

Either way I'll still support them.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Also worth checking @forbesgames and @erikkain.

Forbes is kicking ass right now. Good to see. The familiar faces of game journalism need to be knocked out of their complacency. They'll entrench themselves and kick and scream for a good while, but this is good for them (and us). Forbes has the resources to compete. Hope they keep it up.
Yeah, they're getting quite a bit of good will from people who are just tired of the game press right now. I can't believe I'm going to become a Forbes reader... and it's all thanks to Mass Effect 3.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They are basically male versions of Jessica Chobot.
I hope in Dragon Age 3, you get to bang Greg Miller.

I didn't mean anything criminal, but the reviewers and game publishers are way too close. "Conflict of interests" doesn't even come close to describing it. See Diana Allers, as you said. How can IGN ever be trusted for anything about Mass Effect 3 when they're part of the game?

And this is probably what has the game journalists so angry. They're pretty much exposed here. One step too far, and it shows. And now writers from Forbes are pointing it out for all to see. I don't think anyone saw that coming.
The thing is, I don't really mind when they're honest about it. You look at GDC and for the press, it's basically an excuse to go drink with their friends in the game industry and, at least in previous years, that's reflected in the drunk podcasts that places like 1up produced. These guys are all friends and their companies need each other to survive. The same way that Michael Ausiello gets ALL his TV "scoops" because he knows everyone in the TV industry and is friends with them. They use him as their mouthpiece and he uses them to get hits to his site. It's a symbiotic relationship.

But to get all uppity when someone calls you out on it is really disingenuous. More so when it's clear that you are really not capable of critical thought - let alone cogent writing.
I mean, do we even need to read a review of GTA5? We all know that IGN will give it a 10. To believe otherwise is to be naive.

Reaaaaaaaaaaaaally not looking forward to tomorrow's news cycles if the charity story goes big, or if Penny Arcade decides to make a snarky backhanded strip about BioWare's response or the Child's Play thing (though they're equally likely at this point to wash their hands of this stint with gaming and go back to making strips about D&D and parenting and iPhone apps).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yeah, they're getting quite a bit of good will from people who are just tired of the game press right now. I can't believe I'm going to become a Forbes reader... and it's all thanks to Mass Effect 3.

Do be so hasty. He mentions the only decent reviewer is zero punctuation which has its own slew of problems. Like being paid to be overly negative.

Reaaaaaaaaaaaaally not looking forward to tomorrow's news cycles if the charity story goes big, or if Penny Arcade decides to make a snarky backhanded strip about BioWare's response or the Child's Play thing (though they're equally likely at this point to wash their hands of this stint with gaming and go back to making strips about D&D and parenting and iPhone apps).

The ending controversy has certainly been entertaining.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Why? Havent you already distanced yourself from this? I'm just doing it for kicks while I play Devil Survivor 2

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Do be so hasty. He mentions the only decent reviewer is zero punctuation which has its own slew of problems. Like being paid to be overly negative.
That's true. Yahtzee is so tiring that I haven't watched any of his content in a year because there's no real point.

I think his point is that Yahtzee is the only one who's allowed to at least be honest in a field where honesty is bad for the bottom line. But then again, he doesn't "score" his reviews and isn't aggregated on metacritic, so he doesn't "count" anyway.

squidyj

That's true. Yahtzee is so tiring that I haven't watched any of his content in a year because there's no real point.

I think his point is that Yahtzee is the only one who's allowed to at least be honest in a field where honesty is bad for the bottom line. But then again, he doesn't "score" his reviews and isn't aggregated on metacritic, so he doesn't "count" anyway.

Is it weird that I read that all extremely quickly in yahtzee's voice? cuz it was weird for me.

inky

Why not? Just sit back, prepare a cold one and see bloggers make fools of themselves and insult their audiences. And you don't even have to visit their sites, it will be all over GAF :p

Omega

Banned

Yahtzee got boring after his second review.

He's still around?

Replicant

We should all remember these gaming media who's belittle the fans. Don't forget how much they 'appreciate' you as a reader. Also, next time they fuck up, let's not hesitant to drag them through the mud.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
We should all remember these gaming media who's belittle the fans. Don't forget how much they 'appreciate' you as a reader. Also, next time they fuck up, let's not hesitant to drag them through the mud.

They are just dumb game sites though. Let them make fools and tools of themselves. They do it all the time.

Omega

Banned
Does anyone remember when Cerberus takes over the Citadel and your going through it?

There's this part where the door is locked and there's an M27 Cain and a notepad. How the hell do you get in there..or can you even get in there?

I feel like they're just taunting me.

Does anyone remember when Cerberus takes over the Citadel and your going through it?

There's this part where the door is locked and there's an M27 Cain and a notepad. How the hell do you get in there..or can you even get in there?

You open it from a computer somewhere else.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

In C-Sec HQ? There is a control panel somewhere that lets you in.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Did you edit your avatar to be like a Quarian? I hadn't noticed the lines on the forehead until now.

It'll be interesting to see how the PA Charity thing plays out.

I think in a way it was a sensible thing for them to do, but given their own positive take on the ending plus the fact that they did do some work for EA/Bioware before the game came out, I don't think it's going to be hard for the more loony amongst the detractors to see conspiracy involved.

I think that by asking the dude to stop, it gives the appearance of taking sides on this issue.

My dream ending to Mass Effect 3 would have been for The Inquisitor from Red Dwarf to show up and put me on trial for all the decisions I'd made over the 3 games.

Your final Renegade/Paragon rating would be based on your actions over the trilogy and the answers you give in the final conversation with the Inquisitor to justify why you made those decisions.

Too Renegade and I'd be judged a failure for being too cruel - Galaxy destroyed
Too Paragon and I'd be judged a failure for being too weak - Galaxy destroyed
Too neutral and I'd be judged a failure for being indecisive - Mass losses but win the day
Just enough Renegade or just enough Paragon judged to be capable of being compassionate but ready to make the tough decisions - Reapers are wiped out and the people you care about mostly live based on your war readiness level

Poor readiness level plus all the wrong justifications would see The Inquisitor erase you from existence and put another Shepard in your place.

Would that have been so difficult, Bioware?

Riposte

There's plenty of "honesty" in videogame criticism. The problem is a lack of expertise and grounded perspectives. Yahtzee has neither of those, in fact he is particularly lacking. I question his honesty too. Seems like he'll skip over the details for a good joke or rant.

EDIT: Hmm, pretty sure Gerstmann mentioned how bad the ending was. If it wasn't in his review, then I'm surprised, because he was talking about how much he disliked it on the bombcast from the start.

Would love to Mass Effectisize my cookie monster. Star Wars, Mass Effect, Family Guy, Sesame Street all in one. Best avatar ever.

You could give yourself the Garrus eye piece like a lot of people do or just slap an N7 on his chest. I'm just thinking of the easiest way possible.

Good point about the forehead. I gave him an N7 badge... really one of the worst cut and paste jobs ever. It's embarrassing to look at but it's mine.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There's plenty of "honesty" in videogame criticism. The problem is a lack of expertise and grounded perspectives. Yahtzee has neither of those, in fact he is particularly lacking. I question his honesty too. Seems like he'll skip over the details for a good joke or rant.

EDIT: Hmm, pretty sure Gerstmann mentioned how bad the ending was. If it wasn't in his review, then I'm surprised, because he was talking about how much he disliked it on the bombcast from the start.

I think Gerstmann is serious about treating reviews as consumer buyer guides, so in that respect, his integrity is all he has.
Like, if Consumer Reports suddenly recommends a shit product, no one will listen to them any more.

Look at his point about how one or two months after the fact, inevitably every game loses its "shine" and suddenly the hyperbolic reviews that call a game "Oscar worthy" seem childish. Game reviewers seem to be all about hyping certain games in their reviews these days, and that's the problem I have with the process at this point.

Hartt951

Wow, just saw this, FIVE Mass Effect 3 threads on the first page of gaming. 3 dealing specifically with the ending.

Shit has hit the fan.

Wow, just saw this, FIVE Mass Effect 3 threads on the first page of gaming. 3 dealing specifically with the ending.

Shit has hit the fan.
Eh, you should've seen the stuff last thursday. That is when the shit really hit the fan. Wikipedia vandalism, ME3 BSN forums getting locked down, threats, SPECULATION... it was bad.

But yeah, 5 threads about the ending is a lot.

Top Bottom