• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

So I just finished it. The last mission had far higher production values than the rest of the game. It was pretty neat seeing so many characters from earlier show up, though the pacing of this mission was so fast and the dialogue flew by so quickly that it was hard to really care about who was doing what.

It really speaks to the strengths of the combat mechanics that such a blandly designed mission was still pretty fun (wave after wave... yawn). Would have been nice to have some kind of hand crafted final encounter though.

The story was barely there for 90% of the game, and then a bunch of revelations and developments are thrown at you very quickly towards the end. A whole lot of things happen very fast without much time to linger on any of them or for some of them to even make much sense. How did the kett
board the Nexus or only just the Hyperion (what?)
? What was with the thing that the Archon
injected into Ryder
? How exactly was Ryder able to
control the remnant without SAM
? These questions are just scratching the surface.

One major aspect of this game which is very important to storytelling (beyond the lackluster animations/faces) that I want to touch on that I haven't seen anyone mention is the horribly regressed (from the previous games) scene direction and editing (can't really call it cinematography). This game is completely lacking any kind of "cinematic" quality. Even the most important cutscenes are mostly just boring reverse angle dialogue or poorly animated static shots at flat angles. This was not the case with the previous trilogy. You could tell that Bioware wanted ME1 to really feel like some kind of lost 70s/80s scifi film and whoever was responsible for directing the cutscenes clearly had some kind of film background.

The ME1 opening scene, for example. Aside from the music being perfectly synced up with the opening text and the overall editing, Shepard is introduced via a scene that emulates a cool handheld shot following him/her through the ship. Sure, it's not Scorsese, but as far as games go, this actually looks like how someone would shoot a scene in a film instead of a stilted game cutscene. Most of the scenes in Andromeda aren't anymore stylish than what Bioware did with KotOR.

This edited together series of scenes of Sovereign attacking the Citadel have vastly superior camerawork and framing to anything in Andromeda. The shot of Sovereign at 2:02 is something straight out of a classic scifi film.

Comparing similar scenes, how about the laughably awkward direction of the Archon
grabbing Ryder's blank face (with clipping) and injecting him/her with whatever at a flat angle with no music or excitement on his flagship
to Shepard and Saren on Virmire. Specifically starting at 4:20 in this scene. This has actual editing and excitement! There's a cool alternating first person shot from Shepard's view and then Saren's as he gets punched.

There are a lot more examples that could be posted and these are just from ME1. Not sure if anyone else actually cares about this lol.

Freeman76

Just got the scene on
Kadara
after Drack's loyalty mission.
The scene is cool in concept but there was ZERO background music making it all feel so damn sterile and boring.

Jesus man just give up already.....admit defeat and stop putting yourself through such misery. Or see the glass as half full. Anything...just....stahp!!

Dany

Banned
Just got the scene on
Kadara
after Drack's loyalty mission.
The scene is cool in concept but there was ZERO background music making it all feel so damn sterile and boring.

Oh I just got there too! I loved it so much. Drack is so effing amazing. Right after is conversation with Lexi and Drack in the med-bay. Almost broke my heart. It really put so much in context with Drack.

Bessy67

Is there a stash somewhere? There are some weapons and armor that I'm not currently using but would like to keep and I'd rather it didn't take up inventory space...

At what point do relationships become exclusivr? Peebee just adorably proposed to be exclusive and I accepted, but I still have Cora's and Vetra's missions to meet up... what actual event makes it exclusive and locks you out of the others?

Lol I just did this - was going to go with Suvi, but that scene was too sweet ahaha.

My Ryder is pretty much flirting with everyone when given the option. Let's see where the game takes me :p

Ahaha eventually you're going to get to the point where there's a bazillion 'commit' cutscenes waiting and you have to make a decision. No room will be safe.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
My Ryder is pretty much flirting with everyone when given the option. Let's see where the game takes me :p

Zakalwe

Banned
What's your favourite shotgun in SP?

I'm not sure which ones to try. I have the Disciple which i pretty good. Good range and damage. I've got a bunch of research points/materials, but don't want to waste them.

Staf

Jesus man just give up already.....admit defeat and stop putting yourself through such misery. Or see the glass as half full. Anything...just....stahp!!

What? What are you talking about?

Oh I just got there too! I loved it so much. Drack is so effing amazing. Right after is conversation with Lexi and Drack in the med-bay. Almost broke my heart. It really put so much in context with Drack.

Yeah, he is great (especially together with his granddaughter) and that scene is great but still the lack of music is jarring. Haven't seen the scene with Lexi in the med-bay. Gonna go there and see if anything triggers, thanks for the tip.

AsianOni

I'm not sure which ones to try. I have the Disciple which i pretty good. Good range and damage. I've got a bunch of research points/materials, but don't want to waste them.

I still haven't tried the Dhan (just looted one IX, so this will be the chance) but the Piranha is by far the best among the ones I tried.

Zakalwe

Banned
So, I restarted after around 12 hours because my female Ryder was hideous in 80% of the lighting. Tried Male and while he's still as corny as hell, he doesn't seem anywhere near as annoying. Something about the female delivery is off, she sounds really obnoxious a lot of the time.

Also, the female model has a really hunched posture which bugs the hell out of me.

The original trilogy really nailed both VAs, I'll probably try again later but I wasn't feeling it.

I still haven't tried the Dhan (just looted one IX, so this will be the chance) but the Piranha is by far the best among the ones I tried.

I'll give it a go, thanks.

X-Frame

So, after messing around with some builds, I found one that I think is really fun: Adept Tech + Biotic build with the Dhan Shotgun. Explosions. Everywhere.

Energy Drain - damages enemy shields and also primes for combos
Incinerate - damages enemy armor, primes for combos AND is a detonator, so it can combo from Energy Drain
Charge - it can detonate a combo from either Energy Drain or Incinerate

Dhan Shotgun is so damn powerful (especially with Bio Ammo, you will never need to reload, but you lose 5% of your health every time you empty out a clip, but that doesn't matter because we got SHIELDS FOR DAYS). I have the Shield Oscillator on my N7 Chest IV which gives me +25% of my shields for every enemy kill, and I'm specced on everywhere else on my armor for Biotic + Tech recharge and damage.

This is only a level 21 build on Insanity, btw. Looking forward to hitting 30 to be able to max out my Barrier, Tech Offensive and Combat Fitness. I'll post up a video later.

One thing I was made aware of that will help Bio-Dhan users are one of the final perks in the Tech passives (Life Support?) which will restore health whenever you use a Tech power. So someone like you, or anyone with just 1 Tech power can counter any health loss with Bio Ammo. That's incredibly potent.

I'm currently 0 into Tech, with most of my points into Biotic and Combat but I really want that perk, and will have to tweak my load-out since I am running Charge, Annihilation and Nova.

The Dhan is a OHK beast. It's a plasma-firing shotgun that shoots slugs instead of multiple pellets, so you have a shotgun capable of 1,000 damage and decent medium range. There is even some natural tracking included as well.

One thing I was made aware of that will help Bio-Dhan users are one of the final perks in the Tech passives (Life Support?) which will restore health whenever you use a Tech power. So someone like you, or anyone with just 1 Tech power can counter any health loss with Bio Ammo. That's incredibly potent.

I'm currently 0 into Tech, with most of my points into Biotic and Combat but I really want that perk, and will have to tweak my load-out since I am running Charge, Annihilation and Nova..

Is this the only way to use Bio Ammo? I have no tech skills currently and got bioammo but since health is scarce you will die eventually as you eventually run out of health to reload. I guess i will get one tech skill just to reload health.

Zakalwe

Banned
Loving the game, but the load times are excruciating on ps4.

Honestly not found them a problem. The initial load from title screen is a long one, but the rest seem fine to me (base ps4, standard hdd).

The galaxy map transitions are the parts that bug me the most in this context...

X-Frame

Is this the only way to use Bio Ammo? I have no tech skills currently and got bioammo but since health is scarce you will die eventually as you eventually run out of health to reload. I guess i will get one tech skill just to reload health.

It sounds like it would certainly help but I have been using Bio Ammo on my Dhan for days and no issues. You can also reload normally to use ammo like usual so I mostly utilize the Bio Ammo half the time if things are real chaotic or if I need to DPS a boss quickly. Plus low health brings a bunch of bonuses in its own like a lot of Damage Resistence from a perk in the Combat tree. There are also other health regen perks in the Combat tree.

It hasn't killed me yet and I fly around as a Vanguard continually shooting people like a maniac. I also put Bio Ammo on my other weapons too -- it's just such a great ability and when I get that Tech ability it'll be even more dirty.

It sounds like it would certainly help but I have been using Bio Ammo on my Dhan for days and no issues. You can also reload normally to use ammo like usual so I mostly utilize the Bio Ammo half the time if things are real chaotic or if I need to DPS a boss quickly. Plus low health brings a bunch of bonuses in its own like a lot of Damage Resistence from a perk in the Combat tree. There are also other health regen perks in the Combat tree.

It hasn't killed me yet and I fly around as a Vanguard continually shooting people like a maniac. I also put Bio Ammo on my other weapons too -- it's just such a great ability and when I get that Tech ability it'll be even more dirty.

I died once because I didnt think it would let me kill myself by reloading but it does :(

I love it so far (only played about an hour with it) but I think I may try tech build just to constantly shoot.

JayB1920

How is the HDR implementation in this game? Anyone have any screenshots? Is there a big difference on The PC version maxed out compared to PS4 pro?

Tacitus_

Piranha is pretty great as well. When you get the +dmg for 3s after using biotics, charge -> delete something. (or just melee to delete them even faster)

X-Frame

I died once because I didnt think it would let me kill myself by reloading but it does :(

I love it so far (only played about an hour with it) but I think I may try tech build just to constantly shoot.

Haha well there you go. My Dhan has 3 shots in the clip so that's less Health zapping and I have Turbocharge when I want to go after bosses which bumps my clip to 5 so I can get 10 shots off and only exchange 10% health.

I'm thinking a Favorite with Energy Adrain for my Tech power to replace Nova. Or Invasion for bosses.

Why did they even bring Krogan? That species is such a liability, they're better off being left in the Milky Way.

The answer is 'to make the game feel like Mass Effect and fans love them'. Like much of the Initiative, no in-world reason makes sense if you think about it too long.

adamsapple

Why did they even bring Krogan? That species is such a liability, they're better off being left in the Milky Way.

As the muscle if needed maybe. Since the initiative happened before ME3, Krogans haven't made nice with all of the galaxy yet,s o at this stage in the timeline it's probably just to have strong representation in an unknown galaxy.

Probably.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I made some decent progress last night. Already had Voeld 100% viable, so finished going back to get Eos up to 100%. Then did Liam's loyalty mission and available pieces of other Ally/Squad missions and some stuff on The Nexus. Then finally went to Havarly and did a bunch their. WIll try to get it up to 100% before getting on with the story. I think I'm a bit over 32 hours in, still having a very good time with the game, warts and all.

As the muscle if needed maybe. Since the initiative happened before ME3, Krogans haven't made nice with all of the galaxy yet,s o at this stage in the timeline it's probably just to have strong representation in an unknown galaxy.

Probably.

If you bring that much unpredictable muscle, you're just asking for your fledgling colonies to be controlled by Krogan warlords. The canon never talks about how Andromedan society was supposed to function if they hadn't run into (enemy spoilers)
the Kett and Scourge
. Why anyone would abide by Milky Way social / political constructs is a mystery to me. The Initiative doesn't even have a recognizable military structure in place (probably because BioWare seems very uninformed about/uninterested in naval traditions.)

So I just finished it. The last mission had far higher production values than the rest of the game. It was pretty neat seeing so many characters from earlier show up, though the pacing of this mission was so fast and the dialogue flew by so quickly that it was hard to really care about who was doing what.

It really speaks to the strengths of the combat mechanics that such a blandly designed mission was still pretty fun (wave after wave... yawn). Would have been nice to have some kind of hand crafted final encounter though.

The story was barely there for 90% of the game, and then a bunch of revelations and developments are thrown at you very quickly towards the end. A whole lot of things happen very fast without much time to linger on any of them or for some of them to even make much sense. How did the kett
injected into Ryder

One major aspect of this game which is very important to storytelling (beyond the lackluster animations/faces) that I want to touch on that I haven't seen anyone mention is the horribly regressed (from the previous games) scene direction and editing (can't really call it cinematography). This game is completely lacking any kind of "cinematic" quality. Even the most important cutscenes are mostly just boring reverse angle dialogue or poorly animated static shots at flat angles. This was not the case with the previous trilogy. You could tell that Bioware wanted ME1 to really feel like some kind of lost 70s/80s scifi film and whoever was responsible for directing the cutscenes clearly had some kind of film background.

The ME1 opening scene, for example. Aside from the music being perfectly synced up with the opening text and the overall editing, Shepard is introduced via a scene that emulates a cool handheld shot following him/her through the ship. Sure, it's not Scorsese, but as far as games go, this actually looks like how someone would shoot a scene in a film instead of a stilted game cutscene. Most of the scenes in Andromeda aren't anymore stylish than what Bioware did with KotOR.

This edited together series of scenes of Sovereign attacking the Citadel have vastly superior camerawork and framing to anything in Andromeda. The shot of Sovereign at 2:02 is something straight out of a classic scifi film.

Comparing similar scenes, how about the laughably awkward direction of the Archon
grabbing Ryder's blank face (with clipping) and injecting him/her with whatever at a flat angle with no music or excitement on his flagship
to Shepard and Saren on Virmire. Specifically starting at 4:20 in this scene. This has actual editing and excitement! There's a cool alternating first person shot from Shepard's view and then Saren's as he gets punched.

There are a lot more examples that could be posted and these are just from ME1. Not sure if anyone else actually cares about this lol.

I know exactly what you are talking about with ME1 and that's part of the reason I was so impressed with it only playing it a couple years ago. It gave me a sci fi opera vibe way more than 2 did. I think Andromeda has some beautiful shots with a more modern sci fi kind of feel, but definitely nothing as refreshing as ME1 was.

JMY86

How is the HDR implementation in this game? Anyone have any screenshots? Is there a big difference on The PC version maxed out compared to PS4 pro?

The HDR implementation in this game is fantastic. Yes, there is a big difference between the PC and PS4 Pro version. I have both versions and the PC graphically is far superior, the PS4 Pro looks good but has quite a bit of texture pop in and the load times are not great.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

I like the Remnant one. It's not particularly strong on damage, but it shoots fast, doesn't depend on ammo and goes back to 100% extremely quickly so it rarely overheat in the middle of action when you're shooting, using skills, jumping and evading all over the place.

adamsapple

If you bring that much unpredictable muscle, you're just asking for your fledling colonies to be controlled by Krogan warlords. The canon never talks about how Andromedan society was supposed to function if they hadn't run into (enemy spoilers)
the Kett and Scourage
. Why anyone would abide by Milky Way social / political constructs is a mystery to me. The Iniative doesn't even have a recognizable military structure in place (probably because BioWare seems very uninformed/uninterested in naval traditions.)

Well .. we have all the other races likq Quarians, Drell, Hanar, Batarians etc coming with the Quarian Ark too .. eventually :p

Zakalwe

Banned
To anyone who knows, could you answer this with a simple yes no. Ending game question.

Does the
ending of ME3 effect this game in any way?

adamsapple

To anyone who knows, could you answer this with a simple yes no. Ending game question.

Does the
ending of ME3 effect this game in any way?

Absolutely not.

Slightly explained answer: Only ME 2, 3 spoilers, no Andromeda spoilers.
The initiative launches between ME2 and 3. Supposedly placed in the same year that Lair of the Shadow Broker takes place going by the years mentioned in the story. Only thing that's referenced directly (that i've come across my 30 hrs play through) is the Overlord DLC from ME2. The initiative was at least launched after the Overlord event happened so there are a few NPCs which know about it, also a very off-hand reference to War Lord Okeer, the Krogan who made Grunt and some completely incidental data pad recordings via Liara which mention nothing about the events at all and are just her musings on Prothean findings (like how she was in ME1).

ME3's events do not matter at all.

Skitso78

injected into Ryder

Brilliantly said! *thumbs up*

nel e nel

I've never been on the 'my choices don't matter!' band wagon, as I never really bought into the fallacy that they mattered in the first place, but goddam, I kinda give zero fucks about leveling up my squadmates because I can't control their actions in combat. Talk about choices that don't matter, what good is giving me all these options of squadmates if they are just gonna do whatever the fuck they want to do anyways?

Anyways, that's pretty much my only gripe in the game. Yeah, there are lots of little wonky bugs here and there, but nothing game breaking for me so far, and it's such a throwback to the casual, exploratory pace of ME1 that I'm really digging it so far.

adamsapple

My god. 10 years later and this intro still holds up extremely well. Giving me goose bumps as I'm watching it, that music and scene composition is so masterful.

It's good to remember how amazingly creative Bioware was with the entire ME Universe.

Zakalwe

Banned
Absolutely not.

Slightly explained answer: Only ME 2, 3 spoilers, no Andromeda spoilers.
The initiative launches between ME2 and 3. Supposedly placed in the same year that Lair of the Shadow Broker takes place going by the years mentioned in the story. Only thing that's referenced directly (that i've come across my 30 hrs play through) is the Overlord DLC from ME2. The initiative was at least launched after the Overlord event happened so there are a few NPCs which know about it, also a very off-hand reference to War Lord Okeer, the Krogan who made Grunt and some completely incidental data pad recordings via Liara which mention nothing about the events at all and are just her musings on Prothean findings (like how she was in ME1).

ME3's events do not matter at all.

Oh well, I was kind of hoping for something like
the synthesis ending being cannon here, which is the reason we saw biological beings with cloak and how SAM bonded with Ryder in the way it did.

Like, Synthesis happened hundreds of years ago and it folded into nature over time.

Admittedly, there wasn't enough stuff to tie in with this, and I think if anything destroy is cannon, but still... there's always so much potential with the stories in Mass Effect. I'll forever pine for Indoc Theory.

Vengal

My god. 10 years later and this intro still holds up extremely well. Giving me goose bumps as I'm watching it, that music and scene composition is so masterful.

It's good to remember how amazingly creative Bioware was with the entire ME Universe.

That opening still holds up well and could easily have been the opening to a movie. Trying to imagine an opening like that with the initiative leadership in a board meeting having a similar Convo about bro or sis Ryder becoming Pathfinder has given me a sensible chuckle.

I think I may need to shelve the game myself for the time being. Having Cora's Loyalty mission entirely broken and now I'm at what I assume is the end of the game is just depressing. EVERY game should have easy access to a developer console to reset quests and load into specific zones to bypass broken triggers.

What exactly does new game plus do? How does that even work if they have potentially post release dlc. I'm debating just finishing the game and doing a new game+ with opp gender Ryder but I don't like ending things unfinished.

DOWN

Banned
Is anyone playing as male rider? I tried but the fact that they used a bootleg Nolan North makes it ridiculously hard for me to attach to. He sounds like Nathan Drake but looks nothing like him.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Is anyone playing as male rider? I tried but the fact that they used a bootleg Nolan North makes it ridiculously hard for me to attach to. He sounds like Nathan Drake but looks nothing like him.

I went default made Ryder. I think he's fine. The writing and voice acting aren't great, but neither are they for Sara from what I've seen.

I always go with a male character in these types of games as I just don't have as much fun role playing the romance stuff as a female character.

Zakalwe

Banned
Anyone else bummed by the galaxy map music being so forgetble. It's playing right now and I'd have tourble humming it back if I turned it off.

I can't remember if it was in 1, but the Galxy Map music in 2 is so damn atmospheric.

Compare it to this, so bland in comparison. It sounds like a poor knock-off.

ME1 opening is great, but ME2 is a serious GOAT contender.

This game is a lot of fun, but it feels like it's emulating the past games.

bati

I'm playing him and it's fine. Pretty good delivery overall. But then again I haven't played many games with Nolan North in lead VA role so there's that.

Zakalwe

Banned

I tried the female Ryder, but her delivery just didn't work for me at all. She often sounded too unsure, and a lot of he time outright obnoxious.

Male Ryder isn't perfect, but his delivery feels better suited.

Neither is particularly great, though.

Regarding the final conflict on Karadan (High Noon), whose side did you choose?

It seems that it'll have considerable impact on the planet. Spoiler tags, if you please.

Madness

Is there a difference between choosing a Military outpost and science outpost on Eos?

Does it play into the story later?

Marginally. It is irrelevant in terms of this game except from some changed dialogue, but during the end mission, if you picked military, you get some Prodromos marines/military guys help. Scientific gets you nothing. Obviously going forward this may have more consequences but beyond that, in this game no.

Peroroncino

I tried the female Ryder, but her delivery just didn't work for me at all. She often sounded too unsure, and a lot of he time outright obnoxious.

Male Ryder isn't perfect, but his delivery feels better suited.

Neither is particularly great, though.

I quit to main menu after first 2 or 3 sentences delivered by femRyder, male v/a is a bit better executed imo, but it still feels like some cheap Nathan Drake knock off.

Marginally. It is irrelevant in terms of this game except from some changed dialogue, but during the end mission, if you picked military, you get some Prodromos marines/military guys help. Scientific gets you nothing. Obviously going forward this may have more consequences but beyond that, in this game no.

Thanks for the reply

It's a interesting choice considering the history of Eos and the initiative original goal.

edgefusion

Well, my journey ends at 96% completion. Just a few menial 'additional tasks' left which I have no desire for. It was a fun ride, now to wait for the DLC!

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I've never been on the 'my choices don't matter!' band wagon, as I never really bought into the fallacy that they mattered in the first place, but goddam, I kinda give zero fucks about leveling up my squadmates because I can't control their actions in combat. Talk about choices that don't matter, what good is giving me all these options of squadmates if they are just gonna do whatever the fuck they want to do anyways?

Anyways, that's pretty much my only gripe in the game. Yeah, there are lots of little wonky bugs here and there, but nothing game breaking for me so far, and it's such a throwback to the casual, exploratory pace of ME1 that I'm really digging it so far.

At least the AI for squad mates seems pretty decent. They tend to fight pretty well and aren't going down and needing revived as much as in ME2 and 3 for me. So leveling them up still makes them more powerful and has them help more in combat.

I get the disappointment for people who like issuing squad commands, but I liked that was one are it was simplified as I dislike worrying about more than controlling the my character in games.

Top Bottom