• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Drack
Vetra

The rest are fairly forgettable. Liam and Jaal at least have some hilarious back-and-forth at times.

At least most of them shone in their loyalty missions, I think. I don't think Peebees was very good, but otherwise, I really enjoyed them. Cora's loyalty was one of the best parts of the game.

Zukkoyaki

Drack
Vetra

The rest are fairly forgettable. Liam and Jaal at least have some hilarious back-and-forth at times.
I think those two are the best as well. Though I did grow to like Jaal, Liam and Cora all more than anticipated. Guess that means the loyalty missions did their job well enough.

Peebee was the only one who I wasn't a big fan of.

mbpm1

I actually appreciate all the characters so far. I think the improved banter from the patch helped me like them more.

Liam and Cora are still the most boring though, but better than Jacob

Grisby

I liked a lot of the squad. Liam was the weakest unfortunately. He just didn't bring anything really interesting to the table.

I watched his romance ark and there's some better stuff from him there.

What surprised me was how much I liked Kallo and Suvi. I think they're a pretty good team to have up front. Gil was alright too, although his line about which
animal he wanted to be felt like I was being touched by the hands of someone who went to too many anime conventions.

Actually, Lexi is the weakest of the support crew, which is a surprise because I really thought they were going to try and go places with her
and maaaybe having a drinking problem?
That
bar scene was cool but it's over and done with in a few seconds
and you never really revisit anything like that in the game again.
Speaking of the OST, why does it feel like the music volume is stronger in multiplayer than singleplayer? Is it just me who feels like that?
The OST in general kinda reminds me of Uncharted 4's in the sense that it's a completely new composer and there really aren't any standout tracks that people will be listening to in the future but when you're actually playing, the music fits like a glove.

Just wish that there was more ambient music in general, especially when travelling around in the Nomad.

The only place where the lack of ambient music legitimately worked was
H-047c
Honestly, I think the best track is the title song. if you let it sit there for a while it really goes places.

Finished at 72hs with 96% completion.

It's a good game but my enjoyment was pretty limited most of the time, second half of the game I was more comfortable so I could enjoy it much more. At the end I felt a little sad to say goodbye to my friends/crew. Really strong ending.

Jaal was the character I disliked the most, the whole Angara were pretty uninteresting to me, really boring.

Drack was clearly the best. Romanced Cora, she's great.

Liam and Peebe were cool too, I hated Peebe at first but she grew on me. Have nothing against Vetra but I really didn't pay much attention to her.

Still a 7/10 game to me tho.

Just finished the game today. Overall, I liked it more then I thought it would. The animation is downright poor at times, and I had so many glitches it's not even funny. Particularly the movie night in which the shot of the entire Tempest team sitting around the couch watching the movie at the end is ruined by the fact my Ryder is completely invisible with a big blank spot on the couch. The gameplay is rather fun, and I liked all of the characters. My favorites would be Peebee (who I romanced), Drack and Vetra, with a mixture of those three generally being who I would take out for missions. I liked all of the squad and the game makes an effort so you have a good bit of interactions with all of them. I can understand why people don't like the game, but I enjoyed it and I hope it gets a sequel.

painey

so I just found out Meridian
is not really Meridian
. How far am I into the main story? Im getting a bit tired of all the shitty side missions and want to space them out, but don't want to just end the game before I'm ready

Madness

so I just found out Meridian
is not really Meridian
. How far am I into the main story? Im getting a bit tired of all the shitty side missions and want to space them out, but don't want to just end the game before I'm ready

Near the end...

I'm still very early, so no spoilers please. 4 hours in and just off the first planet. 10% done already apparently, which I find a bit surprising.

But anyways, I'm pleasantly surprised. It's more of an 8/10 than 7/10 game IMO. My biggest complaint right now is the framerate. I'm on PS4 Pro and it feels downright terrible in gunfights especially. It's gotta be in the low 20's?

Also on the negative side is lacklustre character design and so-so writing.

I've heard people say it gets better after the first 5 hours, which is great since I already like it. I really enjoy the space setting and the feeling of exploring a planet. The first planet was also quite impressive in terms of art direction. The environments are beautiful in this game. I find the story premise decent enough too. The codexes provide some decent world building as well. The gunplay is pretty good too. But most of all, I just enjoy Mass Effect socializing and exploring.

Akai__

Hopefully we get decent performance and a 1080p mode for the Pro... :S

Wait, there is no 1080p mode on the Pro? Why is that?

I'd pay money for a character creator that isn't such bullshit as it is right now.

Prior to the game launching, one of the designers already said that we will get more options post launch. I think it was then confirmed in the latet blog post about what's to come with future patches.

Edit:
Over the next two months we'll be rolling out additional patches which will go even deeper and look to improve several areas of the game:

-More options and variety in the character creator
-Improvements to hair and general appearance for characters
Source

Jack cw

Prior to the game launching, one of the designers already said that we will get more options post launch. I think it was then confirmed in the latet blog post about what's to come with future patches.

I don't really care for excuses, but the preset from Inquisition is there. Promises don't really help that game.

Akai__

I don't really care for excuses, but the preset from Inquisition is there. Promises don't really help that game.

I get you. I was also hoping that the 1st patch would really fix the lag in MP, but all it did was removing the lag for the host. Overall the 1st patch was meh, but I have no doubt that they will continue to patch the game. It's just sad that the game ended up in this state. Either way, I hope that much is changed and fixed until I replay it on the Scorpio.

valkyre

Wait, there is no 1080p mode on the Pro? Why is that?

I can think of a reason but it will get me banned if I express myself about it :D

In any case the game runs atrociously bad... it is inexcusable and frankly reeks of incompetence. :/

Coming from Horizon to this is literally a cultural shock.

Renekton

I can think of a reason but it will get me banned if I express myself about it :D

In any case the game runs atrociously bad... it is inexcusable and frankly reeks of incompetence. :/

Coming from Horizon to this is literally a cultural shock.
Yeah after Mirror's Edge and this (both games coming from Unreal Engine), I am reminded that Frostbite is not a magical do-it-all engine.

valkyre

Yeah after Mirror's Edge and this (both games coming from Unreal Engine), I am reminded that Frostbite is not a magical do-it-all engine.

I am not very fond of frostbite either and i never got all the fuss about it. The engine clearly has a lot of limitations.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Anyway to fix or remove this bugged quest?

KYCnKdf.png

Very mild spoilers below. I am maybe a quarter in.

I like - and am growing to like - this game more than the GAF/press freak out made me expect to. But it's not without its flaws, and there are a couple of things which I really dislike though. The endless fetch quests. I am not completely OCD so I can skip a fair amount, but it still takes me some mental processing to avoid doing them - and I generally still waste time going around and listening to people treating me like their errand girl. My second, and biggest, gripe is with the remnant. In general I think the 'ancient civilization that is gone but was incredibly advanced' is a pretty tired trope, but it can be well done. But the whole visual concept behind them is this incredibly boring, lame, and done-to-death - pillars of stone with lines of light running through them. The technology is always essentially magic light. Large blocks of stone move thanks to magical light-powere-computer terminals. It reminds me of Assassin's creed aliens, Destiny last level, or about a million other games with that trope. And in general it's derivative, but here it feels incredibly soulless. The fact that the game is making me expect to go through obelisks of light, then subterranean-vaults-of-moving-stone for every planet I want to terraform is already making me want to stab myself, and I have only done two. Way to recycle assets, too.
I just finished the mission where you save the Moshae and my god it was a breath of fresh air compared to those boring vaults. It was tropey too (hell I could think of three very similar missions in the ME universe) - but it was well done. More of that, less picking up fruits please
(I played Mass Effect I when I was extremely busy and took the decision to 'rush' through the game- only doing the main missions (side-dialog as well, but no side mission at all). It remains one of my favorite experiences because of how tight the whole game ended up being. Maybe I should play more RPG like that. Or maybe, on top of having a difficulty level at the beginning of the game, RPGs should have a 'side quest density' meter as well. I think it improves a ton of games).

My last gripe is that there is too much dialogue which is decidedly average. Write less, focus more. I don't need to read countless boring messages that were not even addressed to me. World building is important, but when it's done poorly it's like reading an encyclopedia article about your least favorite topic.

On the positive side: I actually like the squad mates (not as good as ME2, but they are like able overall). The combat is great. And I think this might put me at odds with others, but I love the lighter, more optimistic tone, and Ryder in general. I love she is not the somewhat pompous, tired person of the ME trilogy (I played ME trilogy as maleShep, Andromeda as Sara). It's possible to make her a very kind and empathic person - not just someone saving the world and being everyone's personal hero. I like that whole 'Ryders love to make jokes but they are painfully not funny' (it's easier than to write actually funny jokes, but better than writing shitty jokes and keep them straight). And (again potentially controversial), I really like her VA. It's very soothing without being dull.

Caayn

At what point in the game do you have to have chosen your love interest? I'm torn between two characters and I'm at the mission "Journey to Meridian".

Also the final SAM memory O_O

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I'm looking at the map of the Heleus cluster and something struck me. At 84% progression there are 37 star systems. 37. That's far, faaaar too many, when there are only 6 or 7 places (planets, space stations) hidden in there where you can actually land the Tempest and go do something.

I think it's an apt analogy for the game in general. Damn thing's just too big for it's own good and to find the fun stuff, you have to waste time searching through worthless, pointless filler.

I'm almost hitting 90 hours playtime now. I'd guess nearly half of that time has been forgettable, give or take a bit. The rest has been brilliant though... and that's the problem right there. The high points of the game are so good, it's just maddening to think how much better a shorter, more tightly focused Andromeda would've been.

xealo

At what point in the game do you have to have chosen your love interest? I'm torn between two characters and I'm at the mission "Journey to Meridian".

Also the final SAM memory O_O

For most of the companions the lock in point seems to be located just after their loyalty mission, as far as I've seen. Be wary of that when flirting with non squad mates if your next main mission is that one.

Caayn

For most of the companions the lock in point seems to be located just after their loyalty mission, as far as I've seen. Be wary of that when flirting with non squad mates if your next main mission is that one.
I mean if I can choose my love interest after this mission or if I need to choose before this one. As it's the final mission, I think.

MCD250

I know opinions on this type of thing differ greatly but man I LOVE Drack especially after his loyalty mission. He's such a great and likeable character and his banter and quips always put a grin on my face. I also like how different he is from most of the past Mass Effect squad members. He's a total grandpa in all the best ways.
I thought Drack felt like an older, grumpier Wrex, which is fine with me as I like Wrex a lot. He was up there with Peebee and Cora as my favorite squadmates.

Almost all the characters are pretty good/charming in this one, I think.

blakep267

finished it last night. took about 60 hours solid.

-I mainly enjoyed the combat and crafting, although that could've been better( crafting).
- Also I wish some of the guns were more necessary. Pistols become useless pretty fast, and I found myself not needing to change from the same sandstorm rifle and laser sniper rifle that I made like halfway through the game
-Story was serviceable. nothing life changing
- Graphic were meh. It had that Quantum Break thing going on, were character models looked weird at different angles
-characters ranged from meh to okay. I probably liked Peebee the most. Cora was also cool, but her voice actress made her sound a bit too old
-The animation stuff didn't really bother me at all.
- The MP can be fun although redundant. And there are some really bad slowdowns and just freezing on the xbox version

All in all, its an ok game to waste time when theres nothing out. Solid 7 to 7.5. granted i bought it at launch, but this is the perfect game imo to buy at $25 and play during the summer draught

blakep267

For a lot of the game I brought Cora and Drack with me for the combat. But they were just dull. Later I switched to Drack and Vetra and their dialogue exchanges were a lot better.

I like the exchanges between Cora and Peebee. They go at each other a lot over sari stuff and romances. Peebee is pretty useless except she can do the gravity thing which is pretty helpful but the AI doesn't spam it which sucks

I like the exchanges between Cora and Peebee. They go at each other a lot over sari stuff and romances. Peebee is pretty useless except she can do the gravity thing which is pretty helpful but the AI doesn't spam it which sucks
The fact that you can't tell your squadmates what powers to use, is terrible.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Finished the main story. 95% completion, think that's where I'll leave it for now.

All in all, I like Andromeda. What's good about the game is very, very good. I personally enjoyed the story, setting, characters, dialogue options, combat, etc... It's just a shame about the niggling problems threatening to drag everything else down. There's a solid base here though. I hope we get a sequel that plays out like ME2 to Andromeda's ME1.

The final mission is ace. Up there with the suicide attack on the Collector base, for me.

Madness

The fact that you can't tell your squadmates what powers to use, is terrible.

Honestly the whole favorites and profile stuff was kind of useless. Most will still pick one and just carry through to the end. In the first mission Alec Ryder switching from Adept to Soldier to Engineer when I would see him attack. I never did any of that. I missed the ease of the weapon wheel on Xbox as well. So many times I wanted my sniper and not shotgun but I replaced either or and still had AR. Very redundant and slow. Not controlling AI powers also stupid because Cora would be randomly wasting her fully leveled up 6 Charge right away on some random Chosen and not the Destined I had primed.

It is the mark of inexperience. I honestly think GTA V has my favorite weapon wheel for ease and use. I wish these people looked at how fluid Gears 4 is to play, revive, cover and engage and then ME:A. So much jank and looseness.

MCD250

The decision to take away the power wheel AND the ability to command squadmates is just...bizarre. Especially in the one game that lets you mix and match any powers you want. It's a weird way to restrict you.

It almost feels like the combat system was designed primarily with MP in mind.

Finally ready to start this. I brought a default Sara and default Scott to just after you get to the first hub area, an hour or two each.

Who should I continue with? Which one has the better voice work?

I initially started with Sara, and while her voice actress was good she looked so damn goofy that I restarted with Scott. His voice actor sounds like budget Nolan north as discussed, but at least his face looks normal.

Which one is better overall?

sirap

Finally ready to start this. I brought a default Sara and default Scott to just after you get to the first hub area, an hour or two each.

Who should I continue with? Which one has the better voice work?

I initially started with Sara, and while her voice actress was good she looked so damn goofy that I restarted with Scott. His voice actor sounds like budget Nolan north as discussed, but at least his face looks normal.

Which one is better overall?

I went with Scott. I just can't tolerate that goofy ass smile Sara has in 90% of the cut-scenes. Don't know what the artists were smoking but they really fucked up her base/neutral expression.

Can't even put the blame on her real-life counterpart either as she looks perfectly fine.

Top Bottom