• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Madness

we must be playing games that are actually different, there are very few British accents in my copy.

We must be if you obviously cannot tell me you don't notice Liam, SAM, Director Addison, Sloane Kelly, Bane Massani just off the top of my head. Quite a few more that I cannot discern right now. Suvi is Scottish etc.

What even is the main theme. iTunes marks it as A Better Beginning, but A Trail of Hope sounds better and based on utilization in game it's like they couldn't make up their minds.

Yeah, I wasn't even aware that this game had a "main theme." Certainly nothing as memorable as

This

or

This

Also, as far as the voice acting complaints are concerned, does anyone know if this game was impacted by the SAG strike?

Wootball

we must be playing games that are actually different, there are very few British accents in my copy.

Liam, Suvi, Sloane, Lexi, SAM, Gil, Addison, Archon, Raeka, Keri to name but a few.

There's a shit load of British accents in Mass Effect Andromeda.

Madness

Liam, Suvi, Sloane, Lexi, SAM, Gil, Addison, Archon, Raeka, Keri to name but a few.

There's a shit load of British accents in Mass Effect Andromeda.

Yup, Natalie Dormer aka Lexi, Keri the reporter, and Gil as well. I honestly think that is what they did. I follow voice over artists and I have honestly been hearing how many companies just get scripts and get amateur actors or theatre actors to be in their sound stage for a few hours reading lines for a couple of hundred dollars and bam.

The Dude

What? I think animations are a red herring for this game. I can handle shitty faces. I cannot handle the poor quest, level design, even some enemy encounters. Writing, dialogue, voice acting is sub-par. I literally think they just wrote a rudimentary script, went to some British theatre school and paid some amateur actors to read lines. It is why so many have a British accent and don't really do a good job.

What is the exploring really? Traverse through a bare map with sparse to nothing but recycled assets every 50 meters.

I'm still early, but just enjoying the combat and feel of the planets. Not sure what else to tell you. I'm not saying it's the best game life has to offer but so far where I'm at it's enjoyable.

rjcc

We must be if you obviously cannot tell me you don't notice Liam, SAM, Director Addison, Sloane Kelly, Bane Massani just off the top of my head. Quite a few more that I cannot discern right now. Suvi is Scottish etc.

Yeah, I talk to Bane Massani all the time. Especially that one time only I ever talked to him.

I dunno if you noticed, but there are a lot of characters in ME:A.

Madness

Yeah, I talk to Bane Massani all the time. Especially that one time only I ever talked to him.

I dunno if you noticed, but there are a lot of characters in ME:A.

Ok so you'll ignore the almost 10 other british characters listed since, including SAM and Liam and Lexi and Gil etc.

Vico

What makes me laugh about the music is that one time when I pressed the "dancing" button in the Tartarus bar below Kadara-Port. The music stopped when my Ryder started dancing, and when the animation was finished the music came back. Dancing without music, that was awkward hahaha.

I feel that sometimes this game is really badly designed. When you finally have access to all of Aya, You're naturally going to explore it all, which means only having dialogues and discussions for 2 hours. But then the very next step in the story is going to Kadara-Port, and there You're once again dropped in a hub, which means You're going to spend another 2 hours talking if you do things in a natural way for the character. But I have a problem with that, since they're putting the discovery of two hubs so close to each other, without any fight inbetween to keep things interesting. And then, after that you're going to the badlands, the open-world, and because of the amount of quests, you're mostly going to spend the next 5 hours fighting. Honestly, here it could be all right on Kadara because the badlands still have lots of dialogue, but there are still too many enemies on the open-world, they should allow us to breath sometimes, just having open spaces empty. I know what You're going to say, don't fight the random enemies, and that's what I did on Voeld and Eos, but I've noticed on Kadara that some of the tasks (most of them are awful and shouldn't be in the game) require us to scan or find objects that are in the small usually useless exiled camps, so If you intend to do everything You're gonna have to even do these places.

I'll admit that even the very first game had similar problems in structure, like being able to visit most of the Citadel the very first time You're coming there, which was awesome in a way, but definitely long, at least 3-4hours total. Though one thing there is that you could fight even in the hubs, so sometimes the rythm was changed even in a hub.

Mid-story spoilers
I found the Vault on Aya, and I've learned about Meridian. I really dislike the "one artefact to control them all" in sci-fi, I've seen it so much it's not surprising anymore, and I'm afraid the game is going to end when we find it. If that's the case I'd be disappointed, though I've still not found any arks, so there are still lots of mysteries I'm interested in.

Renekton

I'm listening to the MEA OST right now and it is actually pretty good. Like Sam Hulick snuck into Hans Zimmer's studio.

Probably just an issue with game design and sound mixing rather than the composed tunes.

Caayn

How do you reset the puzzle with the five consoles in the vault on Elaaden? I've screwed up, but I can't seem to start the puzzle from scratch. I've exited the vault and even restarted the game but to no avail.

I'm listening to the MEA OST right now and it is actually pretty good. Like Sam Hulick snuck into Hans Zimmer's studio.

Probably just an issue with game design and sound mixing rather than the composed tunes.

The OST in general kinda reminds me of Uncharted 4's in the sense that it's a completely new composer and there really aren't any standout tracks that people will be listening to in the future but when you're actually playing, the music fits like a glove.

Just wish that there was more ambient music in general, especially when travelling around in the Nomad.

The only place where the lack of ambient music legitimately worked was
H-047c

nel e nel

Gil and almost the entire population of Aya. Not to mention that Voeld is essentially a proxy for Australia.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Speaking of the OST, why does it feel like the music volume is stronger in multiplayer than singleplayer? Is it just me who feels like that?

Ricker

I like Suvi's voice...she is probably the one I will romance ;) but playing as male Ryder I get more flirts from the guys so far,Suvi is playing hard to get it seems :p

Papilloma

How do you reset the puzzle with the five consoles in the vault on Elaaden? I've screwed up, but I can't seem to start the puzzle from scratch. I've exited the vault and even restarted the game but to no avail.

I don't think you can reset it. Each time you use a console it changes the state of that console (off to on, or on to off), and the two on either side. The consoles on the extreme right and left "wrap around". You need to get all the consoles to an "on" position.

Hope this helps, good luck!!

Caboose

Oh shit...
Dont tell me she is trans ? lol

mjlol.png

She just doesn't like dudes, breh.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
This was driving me crazy until I realized you could fight inside the surrounding structures without needing to worry about the environment killing you.

If I remember correctly, you'll always have a building that's far away enough that its zappy field doesn't fry you but close enough for you to pop out and shoot it.

Yeah thats what I was using. Managed to eventually kill it.

Lashley

Well, I have a bugged quest.

On Voeld, Missing Science Crew, says go to navpoint of final transmission , I do and nothing happens

obeast

Well, I have a bugged quest.

On Voeld, Missing Science Crew, says go to navpoint of final transmission , I do and nothing happens

Unless my memory fails me, that science crew is missing because
the architect that you apparently just killed ate them. You may have hit a bug by killing it first, or you might be able to just go back to the quest giver to finish the quest.

New youtube clip about "Scoring a new galaxy". Personally i thought there was way too little music in the game and what was there was forgettable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR6MnzxOE64

"Modernizing it"? "Brining it into 2017"? What the hell does that mean? I really don't get this recent movement toward making scores as bland and unmemorable as possible. Same thing is happening in film.

So disappointed with Andromeda's score.

Lashley

Unless my memory fails me, that science crew is missing because
the architect that you apparently just killed ate them. You may have hit a bug by killing it first, or you might be able to just go back to the quest giver to finish the quest.

Damn, I killed that also spoke to Priya, seems this quest and the defense matrix one are bugged for me ffs

EDIT: Went back and the defense matrix fixed itself

Springy

lol why is my bionic 'B' power dash taking away my health after each use? Never used to

Did you upgrade it? Some powers have an option along the upgrade tree to remove the cool down at the cost of expending health upon activation.

Edit: Ah, realize what you mean now. Yeah, the poster above me is right: I think there's an augment on your armor causing that.

Braag

Ever since the last big patch the game doesn't launch for me anymore :/
I've tried to repair it in Origin and update the game again but nothing happens once I click play.
I can't be arsed to redownload the entire game...

nvm fixed it by launching the game offline and then going online (wtf BW).

Hahs

..I mean as long as we're comparing old to new...Man, this looks feels and plays waaay better than the first ME!

I finished it last night. I'd give it a 3 out of 5, maybe a 7 out of 10. Let me say that I'm an enormous fan of the series. It's my favorite thing from last gen, and I couldn't even guess how many times I've played through the SP of 1 and 2, and I also played about 800 hours of 3's MP.

I never thought I'd be saying this, but there's basically zero chance I'll touch the disc again.

The Good:
--Half your squad has enough personality to hang with the old trilogy's
--The combat has the mechanics to be very good
--Some of the story beats are interesting or have a lot of promise
--Same goes for some of the side missions

The Middling
--The main villain is Space Hitler (yawn), but at least they focus on a different way Hitler was evil than what we usually get in games
--You have so many options to build your character, but you can only use 3 powers at once and they don't have many passives, so once I got to level 40 or so I was just wasting points to use them
--Yes, the combat has a muscular system, but the enemy design is dull or just careless compared to 3's. Combat in 3's MP felt like a 3D puzzle at times. This felt like the usual bullet sponges running at you with assault rifles.

The Bad
--We've all talked the bugs to death, but man
--Half your squad is annoying or just lifeless
--Ryder and the main story just never felt like took off for me. Everything needed at least one more rewrite
--Sooooooooo much padding
--Most of the missions you get are empty, pointless, or just bad

hbkdx12

Just finished it. So was there no reason as to why
you can use remnant tech without SAM or did i just miss it?

Also the fact that we can't
drive around on meridian
is such a fucking cop out

Caayn

I don't think you can reset it. Each time you use a console it changes the state of that console (off to on, or on to off), and the two on either side. The consoles on the extreme right and left "wrap around". You need to get all the consoles to an "on" position.

Hope this helps, good luck!!
Thanks for the response. I managed to complete the puzzle.

Ralemont

not me
Witcher 3's ambient soundtrack is at the other extreme and universally annoys me after a few hours because it is constantly playing.

To me the ideal is something like Guild Wars 2. This is helped by it being Jeremy Soule so the tracks tend to be very memorable while also making good background music. On the other hand, MEA follows ME1 in having its background tracks be mostly synth gahbage.

prag16

Banned
Thanks for the response. I managed to complete the puzzle.

This one was kind of a pain in the ass (for perspective it took me at least twice as long to solve as the hardest remnant sudoko I've encountered). Seemed like the left console wrapped around, but the right console didn't, which complicated things.

Veelk

Banned
So I haven't read anything else in the thread.

Can someone tell me how the overall story of ME:A is? The animation stuff has turned me off, but since that's getting fixed, all that's left is whether the story itself is worth playing.

I've read some articles, like that "The Worlds of ME:A aren't worth saving" or something, but I want some fan response on it.

How are the characters? How are the story encounters they engineer? How is the interaction and writing? What are the strengths? What are the weaknesses?

If ME:A doesn't deliver on those, it's not worth it to me anyway, good animation or not. But if it does, I might bite the bullet later on after all the patches.

TeamGizzy

Banned

Can someone tell me how the overall story of ME:A is? The animation stuff has turned me off, but since that's getting fixed, all that's left is whether the story itself is worth playing.

I've read some articles, like that "The Worlds of ME:A aren't worth saving" or something, but I want some fan response on it.

How are the characters? How are the story encounters they engineer? How is the interaction and writing? What are the strengths? What are the weaknesses?

If ME:A doesn't deliver on those, it's not worth it to me anyway, good animation or not. But if it does, I might bite the bullet later on after all the patches.

I read everyone complaining about it. But I don't get it. I think its a great game. Could it have used a little more polish ? yeah. But its Mass effect. It feels and plays like Mass Effect. I think its on par with 1 & 3
I like the characters and story. It gets the characters right in my opinion. Maybe the originals are just so good that no game. No matter what.. could have satisfied some of these people.

The main character is not a grizzled war veteran. he/she has conversations that would not be out of line for a younger character.

Wootball

If slightly dodgy animation is enough to turn you off a game without even knowing anything else about it, idk maybe rethink playing games I guess.

SliChillax

I think the music is too quiet in this game.
I tried to stand still and listen to ambient music, but I can hardly hear anything.

Go to audio settings, increase music slider to the max and lower everything else. Now just increase the volume of your tv/speakers so it's more balanced.

Madness

A decent premise with flawed execution. The story goes sideways really quickly falling back on overused tropes, and doesn't really match what they promised, in my opinion. It isn't good and could have been a whole lot better with better writers.

That was a dumb article from the guy from Vice who was making a different point. The world's are not necessarily what you think but there is some decent exploration and variety. Ultimately again they come up short

Some characters are great and will be fan favorites going forward. Others are poor. Story encounters again generic with poor cinematics and with heavy asset reuse. You'll find yourself doing the same thing 3 or 5 times over and over. Rinse repeat. The interaction is better in that squad banter takes into account story queues on Nomad rides, generic comments, however dialogue is just as limited in ME3 when you would only get two choices sometimes and honestly the dialogue is often very similar between all 4 choices despite you being presented with it being 4 separate things. Strengths are just more quantity of lines, quips, back stories. Weaknesses is again just poor writing overall.

Bite the bullet after 2 months when the game is heavily patched. If you haven't bought it yet and are not dying to play, hold off, you will have a much smoother, big free and enjoyable game. Possibly even have some DLC announced by that point.

prag16

Banned

The story is nothing super innovative or anything, but it's plenty to keep things moving along even if it could have definitely been better, and the crew members are mostly good. On par with the trilogy more or less (granted not as developed as some of this since they had three games).

That particular article was garbage imo. Pretentious masturbatory nonsense with a clickbait title.

The writing runs the gamut from "kind of cringey" to "good", just like any ME game. I very much disagree that there is a massive dropoff from the trilogy here. There's a lot MORE there; the game is HUGE (probably too huge for its own good) so there may be some more low points, and the highs may not quite reach the highs of the trilogy, but it's overall comparable. It's Mass Effect. Claims that the "writing is terrible" overall, I don't agree with at all. Some people are wearing rose tinted trilogy goggles.

The animation stuff is way overblown. It clearly doesn't have everything hand animated like something like Uncharted 4. And it looks bad in spots no doubt. But for me it wasn't very distracting at all, and most of it is fine.

The worst thing about the game is the bloat. If you stay with the main quests for each planet, the main "priority" plot missions, and the character/loyalty stuff, the game is great. If you get caught in the weeds doing too many of the shitty MMO style side content, it can sour the experience some. It can all be avoided, but sometimes it's not obviously how to separate the wheat form the chaff.

On the whole the game is great, albeit flawed. I'll have a "mini review" like others have done when I'm finished (probably in the next few days), but as of now, gun to my head, I'd probably rank the series: ME2 > ME:A > ME3 >>> ME1

It's entirely possible some aspects will bother you, and you may not like it as much as some others. But the enormous hate circle jerk that surrounded the game at launch was way overblown.

Dunkelgrau

So we all look at the asses in Mass Effect 1, 2 and 3, right?

Have they changed the height of the camera position in Andromeda? I mean beside that ass-thing it really is a disadvantage because it looks so unnatural. Or am I wrong here?

Vico

Each time I think I've made some serious progress, I receive ten new quests scattered all over the cluster. I looked it up and I'm still only at 44% progression.

Spoilers for the very end of Kadara
That scene between Sloane and the Collective leader was actually really well made. We had two huge choices to make, and they were presented in a clever way, rather than a simple "choose option A, or B".
This game does do crazy good stuff sometimes.

TheChaos

Witcher 3's ambient soundtrack is at the other extreme and universally annoys me after a few hours because it is constantly playing.

To me the ideal is something like Guild Wars 2. This is helped by it being Jeremy Soule so the tracks tend to be very memorable while also making good background music. On the other hand, MEA follows ME1 in having its background tracks be mostly synth gahbage.
*Points to your avatar* RPGS since the beginning had music constantly playing and nobody seemed to care. Why the change of heart?

Zukkoyaki

I know opinions on this type of thing differ greatly but man I LOVE Drack especially after his loyalty mission. He's such a great and likeable character and his banter and quips always put a grin on my face. I also like how different he is from most of the past Mass Effect squad members. He's a total grandpa in all the best ways.

Ralemont

not me
*Points to your avatar* RPGS since the beginning had music constantly playing and nobody seemed to care. Why the change of heart?

Because the music in Chrono Cross (and JRPGs) changes much more frequently than the Witcher 3 thanks to location changes, so the variation helps. How many times did we have to hear the same 3 vocal yodles over and over in Skellige?

mbpm1

I know opinions on this type of thing differ greatly but man I LOVE Drack especially after his loyalty mission. He's such a great and likeable character and his banter and quips always put a grin on my face. I also like how different he is from most of the past Mass Effect squad members. He's a total grandpa in all the best ways.

I think almost everyone appreciates drack actually

Top Bottom