• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Grisby

How is the ost in comparison to each of the other entries?
It's pretty poor. A lot of the times it might as well not even be there.

They rely a lot on planet ambience which is ok, but ME is known for its rich soundtrack and I think Andromeda pales in comparison, outside of that title track I posted anyways.

Finally ready to start this. I brought a default Sara and default Scott to just after you get to the first hub area, an hour or two each.

Who should I continue with? Which one has the better voice work?

I initially started with Sara, and while her voice actress was good she looked so damn goofy that I restarted with Scott. His voice actor sounds like budget Nolan north as discussed, but at least his face looks normal.

Which one is better overall?

I went with Male Ryder and regretted it. He sounds like he's 17.

kingsamj

Banned
I went with Scott. I just can't tolerate that goofy ass smile Sara has in 90% of the cut-scenes. Don't know what the artists were smoking but they really fucked up her base/neutral expression.

Can't even put the blame on her real-life counterpart either as she looks perfectly fine.

Ha, I started with Scott but ended up switching to Sara because I couldn't tolerate Scott's ugly wispy beard and plastic looking hair (Sara's hair isn't great either but IMO looks leagues better than Scott's). Sara's goofy smile is irritating but.. tradeoffs I guess.

I also prefer Sara's VA work to Scott's, though I might be in the minority on that opinion.

I'm about 30 hours in and I really like Sara's character. I don't know what it's like with Scott, but I like having a woman inhabit the role of someone in a position of power who has to prove herself constantly to people who don't trust her. It gels well narratively.

arhra

I haven't done a full run with Scott yet, but I'll throw a vote in for Sara.

Go custom though, the animations seem to work better on the custom characters for whatever reason.

Kin5290

Drack
Vetra

The rest are fairly forgettable. Liam and Jaal at least have some hilarious back-and-forth at times.
Vetra is Kaiden levels of flat characterization.
At least most of them shone in their loyalty missions, I think. I don't think Peebees was very good, but otherwise, I really enjoyed them. Cora's loyalty was one of the best parts of the game.
I seriously dislike Cora, and her loyalty mission is so stupid. The writers really want you to think that
Sarissa did the wrong thing, but she didn't. She made a tough call but rightfully prioritized the enemy intel over protecting her Matriarch. It's hard to condemn Sarissa when you as a Pathfinder make these same kinds of decisions often. Doesn't help that Sarissa is a biotic goddess capable of ridiculous feats, while her potential replacement is such a novice that she needs Cora to humansplain Asari tactics to her.

Going to run around and clean up some side quests and want to mix up the party a little bit. Any recommendations and pairs with good banter? Gone with Drax and Peebee primarily.

Looks like Liam + Vetra, Vetra + Drax, and Cora + Peebee seemed to be recommended decently often.

Alo0oy

Banned
So what choices do I need to make in order for Addison to be available as
an ambassador nominee?

I'm doing a "renegade" playthrough, and I've been making a lot of shitty choices, and I think that would be the ultimate shitty decision, there's no concrete information regarding the requirements for that choice to be available. Someone on Reddit says you need to
1) not help the Krogan, and 2) not help the Salarian pathfinder in the Ark quest in order for Addison and Tann to be available as choices. Would not helping the Krogan mean not giving them the drive core? Or is it something else? I'm not even sure that's accurate since it's just a single poster on Reddit that said that.

Killzig

So what choices do I need to make in order for Addison to be available as
an ambassador nominee?

I'm doing a "renegade" playthrough, and I've been making a lot of shitty choices, and I think that would be the ultimate shitty decision, there's no concrete information regarding the requirements for that choice to be available. Someone on Reddit says you need to
1) not help the Krogan, and 2) not help the Salarian pathfinder in the Ark quest in order for Addison and Tann to be available as choices. Would not helping the Krogan mean not giving them the drive core? Or is it something else? I'm not even sure that's accurate since it's just a single poster on Reddit that said that.

Tann and Addison become nominees if you let Raeka die or don't help the Krogan out on Elaaden.

prag16

Banned
Vetra is Kaiden levels of flat characterization.

I seriously dislike Cora, and her loyalty mission is so stupid. The writers really want you to think that
Sarissa did the wrong thing, but she didn't. She made a tough call but rightfully prioritized the enemy intel over protecting her Matriarch. It's hard to condemn Sarissa when you as a Pathfinder make these same kinds of decisions often. Doesn't help that Sarissa is a biotic goddess capable of ridiculous feats, while her potential replacement is such a novice that she needs Cora to humansplain Asari tactics to her.

I wouldn't go that far on Vetra, but yeah, she's lower on my list of preferred squadmates. Though I did enjoy some flirting type banter going on between her and Jaal during one Nomad ride.

I honestly haven't found a "bad" combination in terms of Nomad banter. Everything has been pretty solid, though everything involving Drack is generally a cut above. I really liked how they took what they started in ME3 to another level in terms of on-ship banter. Crew members are all over like horse shit, and almost every time I walk into the main "situation" room or whatever you want to call it, there are various combinations of Lexi, Liam, Drack, Vetra, Peebee, and Gil in there hamming it up. Also enjoy folks yelling at each other across the cargo/Nomad back area from time to time.

RE Sarissa,
I agree. It reminded me of ME1 with the Rachni queen.
Not quite apples to apples obviously, but in that situation letting her go as the Paragon option in the face of all the evidence didn't fly with me, same as this case with the game trying to convince me Sarissa was clearly in the wrong.

Madness

I chose for Sarissa
to be exposed but to stay on as Pathfinder. Vederia wasn't ready and the Asari need someone like Sarissa. And Sarissa needed to be humbled. Her manuals, hero status, cult of worship gone and she will need to earn their trust again. She did desert her Pathfinder but got flight paths through thr Scourge to escape. I feel with Avitus, Raeka, Ryder and Sarissa as Pathfinders, things will be great for eaach race in my story for ME:A2

Springy

I agree. It reminded me of ME1 with the Rachni queen.
Not quite apples to apples obviously, but in that situation letting her go as the Paragon option in the face of all the evidence didn't fly with me, same as this case with the game trying to convince me Sarissa was clearly in the wrong.

RE: ME1, considering the Rachni Wars went to the point of genocide, being given the option not to complete the annihilation of a species is definitely a "Paragon" choice. Especially as the Queen states the Rachni were being manipulated by external forces: you'd just finished fighting Benezia, so the player had just been given a demonstration of that same concept.

RE: ME:A,
I agree completely that Sarissa was justified in her actions, not to mention that placing the good of the Ark over the good of an individual is surely the trait you'd want In a Pathfinder. That scene felt very artificially constructed, which is something I've felt about a lot of weighty moments in Andromeda.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Um, why they locked level progression for Nexus on level 20? WTF? Is there a good reason for this? If it is, I sure as hell can''t see it.

Kin5290

RE: ME1, considering the Rachni Wars went to the point of genocide, being given the option not to complete the annihilation of a species is definitely a "Paragon" choice. Especially as the Queen states the Rachni were being manipulated by external forces: you'd just finished fighting Benezia, so the player had just been given a demonstration of that same concept.

RE: ME:A,
I agree completely that Sarissa was justified in her actions, not to mention that placing the good of the Ark over the good of an individual is surely the trait you'd want In a Pathfinder. That scene felt very artificially constructed, which is something I've felt about a lot of weighty moments in Andromeda.
The obvious problem here is that there is literally nothing but the Rachni Queen's word backing up her assertion, and she's not exactly a credible or disinterested source.

Y'all making me feel bad for picking
Vederia for pathfinder
On the one hand,
like her, you are some rank novice with maybe 2 hours of combat experience who nevertheless has been working out pretty well as Pathfinder. On the other hand, she is an Asari huntress who needed to be talked through the tactics of an Asari huntress by a human woman who basically spent the length of Asari Spring Break in an Asari exchange program, while the woman she will replace tanked a volley of antishipping missiles with her mind.

Springy

The obvious problem here is that there is literally nothing but the Rachni Queen's word backing up her assertion, and she's not exactly a credible or disinterested source.
She's definitely invested in a positive outcome, but, the larger context of indoctrination that's unfolding, her claim is absolutely credible.

And the alternative is genocide. Your action doesn't condemn an individual, but a whole species. Not to mention that, if you do kill her, you will be condemning her for the past actions of her species rather than her own actions specifically, which is not exactly ethically justifiable.

Just for the record, I'm trying to clarify that saving her is the Paragon choice.

I think that it's a bit more uncertain than that.
There's more than a little suggestion that the entire reason that the Asari ark has been hunted as it has is because of Sarissa's theft of the data, that it allowed them to barely elude pursuers they might not have otherwise had. What's more, while it was a difficult decision to make, she wasn't pathfinder, and was supposed to be her pathfinder's bodyguard above all else. In other words, she became pathfinder by abandoning her charge to steal the data against orders. She even justifies it as an act of revenge when you first meet her. So when we later learn that she made the trade of her pathfinder's life for the data, which had been of dubious benefit, I actually found her choice to be nearly as unpalatable as Cora did. I just didn't think the Initiative could afford to remove her from the role.

Kin5290

She's definitely invested in a positive outcome, but, the larger context of indoctrination that's unfolding, her claim is absolutely credible.

And the alternative is genocide. Your action doesn't condemn an individual, but a whole species. Not to mention that, if you do kill her, you will be condemning her for the past actions of her species rather than her own actions specifically, which is not exactly ethically justifiable.

Just for the record, I'm trying to clarify that saving her is the Paragon choice.
This kind of ethical dilemma is a fascinated one, and one of a kind that is completely missing from Mass Effect Andromeda. There are no difficult questions requiring imperfect answers in ME:A, just convenient magical devices with only positive effects, as long as you seize them from the bad evil aliens who have ill defined motivations.
I think that it's a bit more uncertain than that.
There's more than a little suggestion that the entire reason that the Asari ark has been hunted as it has is because of Sarissa's theft of the data, that it allowed them to barely elude pursuers they might not have otherwise had.
I mean,
this is probably complete nonsense included only to paint Sarissa in more of a bad light. It's also 100% the assumed opinion of the Asari captain, which has fuckall for supporting hard evidence. Considering how the Kett treat the Ark that they manage to capture, it's impossible to say that the Kett would not also pursue the Asari ark without Sarissa having secured intelligence regarding routes through the dark matter anomaly that destroyed one Ark and seriously damaged another.

Springy

There's more than a little suggestion that the entire reason that the Asari ark has been hunted as it has is because of Sarissa's theft of the data, that it allowed them to barely elude pursuers they might not have otherwise had.
I did not get that at all, was that implied during conversation on the bridge or elsewhere?

Also,
considering how the Kett have tirelessy hunted the other Arks, I doubt they were only hounding the Asari because they want their stuff back.

MCD250

I saw people on Twitter calling Cora a "weablue" for acting like she's an asari all the time and I almost died lauhghing.

I love Cora tbh.

I did not get that at all, was that implied during conversation on the bridge or elsewhere?

Also,
considering how the Kett have tirelessy hunted the other Arks, I doubt they were only hounding the Asari because they want their stuff back.

Yup.

And how do you mean tirelessly hunt the other arks? My memory's fuzzy, but if I remember right, the Turians got fucked up by the Scourge, humans got away clean after Habitat 7, and Salarians were caught with their pants down after being betrayed from within? Not to mention the Nexus which has been the victim of infighting, rather than a concentrated effort by the Kett. Meanwhile, the Asari were hunted tirelessly by the Kett's special forces.

I mean,
this is probably complete nonsense included only to paint Sarissa in more of a bad light. It's also 100% the assumed opinion of the Asari captain, which has fuckall for supporting hard evidence. Considering how the Kett treat the Ark that they manage to capture, it's impossible to say that the Kett would not also pursue the Asari ark without Sarissa having secured intelligence regarding routes through the dark matter anomaly that destroyed one Ark and seriously damaged another.

You ask Sarissa why they're being pursued, and she says herself that it's because of the theft of the data. I agree that it's difficult to know to what degree the pursuit of the Leusitania is because of the theft - especially when we're only hearing about the situation second hand - but I disagree that her choice was morally and practically unassailable.

Springy

Yup.

And how do you mean tirelessly hunt the other arks? My memory's fuzzy, but if I remember right, the Turians got fucked up by the Scourge, humans got away clean after Habitat 7, and Salarians were caught with their pants down after being betrayed from within? Not to mention the Nexus which has been the victim of infighting, rather than a concentrated effort by the Kett. Meanwhile, the Asari were hunted tirelessly by the Kett's special forces.
Were the Salarians betrayed? I remember they surrendered. And I mean "tirelessly hunted" by the Kett's singular purpose, which is to, in their own words "exalt or annihilate" all other sentient species they encounter. By "Arks," I mean diaspora of Milky Way species. To say they wouldn't have chased the Leusania once they'd identified it were it not for the copying of navigation data sounds implausible, especially considering the scientific discoveries you make on the Archon's ship when it's tied to the Salarian Ark emphasizing their obsessive focus on capturing other species (I haven't finished the game yet, I'll note).

Were the Salarians betrayed? I remember they surrendered. And I mean "tirelessly hunted" by the Kett's singular purpose, which is to, in their own words "exalt or annihilate" all other sentient species they encounter. By "Arks," I mean diaspora of Milky Way species. To say they wouldn't have chased the Leusania once they'd identified it were it not for the copying of navigation data sounds implausible, especially considering the scientific discoveries you make on the Archon's ship when it's tied to the Salarian Ark emphasizing their obsessive focus on capturing other species (I haven't finished the game yet, I'll note).

My bad, didn't mean to spoil anything.
I'll just say that regardless of whether that was mere happenstance, it did seem to me that the Kett exerted a lot more effort into pursuing the Leusinia than the other arcs.

Apoptomon

All of the pathfinders in my playthrough are new to the job. It seemed fitting, like a new start for the Initiative. Popping into Tann's office, it seems like Cora takes up a 'mentor' role.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Have you tried going back to Priya Blake? If I remember correctly you can talk to her about what happened to the scientists. If not then I have no idea and it's probably bugged.

Yeah I've done that. Just seems bugged :(

Not to get into Persona-esque wiafu wars but starting the game I assumed I'd be team Cora but halfway through I am finding her so bland.

Peebee on the other hand is way more funny and charming than I expected.

Cornbread78

Getting annoyed at the mission markers...

I got stuck on
Havarl
last night. The guy says he's waiting by the third
monolith
, but there's no way to find it. The markers lead you nowhere..... uugggh

stn

I'm on the
Meridian mission asking me to talk to the Nexus leaders
, how many hours away am I from beating the game?

Springy

Not to get into Persona-esque wiafu wars but starting the game I assumed I'd be team Cora but halfway through I am finding her so bland.

Peebee on the other hand is way more funny and charming than I expected.
Peebee is a hoot and I refuse to believe anybody who says they don't like her.

Yeah, I agree that
Sarissa fucked up and didn't really deserve to be a Pathfinder. But Vederia clearly wasn't ready to be one either so the Asari needed Sarissa .

man i'm confused with the research/development/augmentation stuff.. trying to make some good weapons and i augmented my black widow II with ricochet bullets.. they just drop down now and i can't hit anything anymore lol :| i guess i gotta deconstruct the weapon for materials now or..?

It's pretty poor. A lot of the times it might as well not even be there.

They rely a lot on planet ambience which is ok, but ME is known for its rich soundtrack and I think Andromeda pales in comparison, outside of that title track I posted anyways.

i really like the ambient music on planets, much better in setting the mood than the stuff in ME2/3, can't remember enjoying much of the music in those.. mostly forgettable orchestral pieces iirc, that did nothing for me (huge disappointment after ME1's stellar OST).

Madness

Anybody else feels Cora's obsession with the
Asari
kinda creepy?

Again, it is poor writing. They beat you over the head with a lot of things to try and establish the characters. Just wait till her loyalty mission.

She is Mrs. Cora Ryder now, but damn, I almost wanted to travel back to the Milky Way and turn into a husk than hear about Asari manuals one more time.

MCD250

Asari
kinda creepy?
I dunno if I'd call it creepy, I mostly just find it amusing. Considering she looks like a white girl from Michigan and all.

I like her a lot though. I was thinking of starting a NG+ and romancing her and even got as far getting the Tempest, but then I realized all the garbage I'd have to sift through to get to the parts of the game I actually like and decided against it.

Asari
kinda creepy?
Not so much creepy as weird. It's not like her family abandoned her or something before she got into the Alliance military and punted off to the Asari commandos. I could buy someone with severe abandonment/rejection issues throughout their life being super obsessed/apologist for a group that accepted them with little reservation, but I never got the impression that her backstory was that bad. The relationship issues she has make sense for her backstory, but the weablue (God, I love that term) stuff makes no fucking sense past a certain point.

mbpm1

I like her a lot though. I was thinking of starting a NG+ and romancing her and even got as far getting the Tempest, but then I realized all the garbage I'd have to sift through to get to the parts of the game I actually like and decided against it.
yeah I'm like halfway through and I would never play this game again.

it's good but terrible for replays

MCD250

yeah I'm like halfway through and I would never play this game again.

it's good but terrible for replays
How I feel, yeah. I'll probably just keep my original save file for whenever they start pumping out some DLC. At least in this game you don't have to start from the beginning if you ever get the urge to try a different class.

Sai

Took my sweet time, but I finally finished my first run through this game, on Insanity... And this is the first time I've had almost no immediate desire to replay a Mass Effect game.

And while the combat's great, multiplayer's still a number of balances changes and updates away from being in a state I can enjoy as much as ME3's, I think.

An enjoyable gaming experience overall, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed.

Lucreto

I think I need to spend some time upgrading my equipment. The enemies are cutting through my shield like it is not there.

Can someone recommend an armour set, augmentations and effective assault rifle I should be using. I just finished the Ice planet and about to meet the sages on the Jungle planet.

I also have 4 cryo pods to spend and no idea what to get first.

I think I need to spend some time upgrading my equipment. The enemies are cutting through my shield like it is not there.

Can someone recommend an armour set, augmentations and effective assault rifle I should be using. I just finished the Ice planet and about to meet the sages on the Jungle planet.

I also have 4 cryo pods to spend and no idea what to get first.

Get defensive passives in skill tree.
Armors and guns are mostly sidegrades, pick the ones you like using.
For pods get the science ones which give you research points first. Milky way research points are really hard to get while you will need a lot of them to craft.

Top Bottom