• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Kalentan

So I decided to pick it up for $36 on Origin and honestly been having a lot of fun. In terms of third person shooting, IMHO, it feels excellent and the mobility really enhances it. I love being able to cross large gaps and then jump over an enemy and then aim and float above them as I fire down at them.

Ace.

I also did try the SP and honestly have been enjoying that too. It's not perfect and I've notice the fair strange animation here and there but the patches seem to have sorted out a decent bit of it. So overall I'm enjoying it too.

Also looks phenomenal with all of the graphics settings turned up.

Ricker

So I decided to pick it up for $36 on Origin and honestly been having a lot of fun. In terms of third person shooting, IMHO, it feels excellent and the mobility really enhances it. I love being able to cross large gaps and then jump over an enemy and then aim and float above them as I fire down at them.

Ace.

I also did try the SP and honestly have been enjoying that too. It's not perfect and I've notice the fair strange animation here and there but the patches seem to have sorted out a decent bit of it. So overall I'm enjoying it too.

Also looks phenomenal with all of the graphics settings turned up.

Yep,even on the Pro some area's look awesome,I was in a cave in Eladeen last night,with the sun shining through in some spots,with the nice orange plants and all,it was Zero Dawn good...

The last patch added a small glitch for me,helmets are always off now...oh well.

diaspora

Yep,even on the Pro some area's look awesome,I was in a cave in Eladeen last night,with the sun shining through in some spots,with the nice orange plants and all,it was Zero Dawn good...

The last patch added a small glitch for me,helmets are always off now...oh well.
Have you gone into the settings and checked the helmet toggle?

Cornbread78

I can't stop doing all the side quests... I really just want to fly through the game, but nope, there's an octagon, make it orange..... This is harsh....

Does anyone know if they patched the glitched Reyes quests? I haven't been able to finish that planet because of the mission glitch....

Wow. Started playing this today after Horizon and couldn't play more than 15 min of it. I don't think I can play bio ware games anymore. Didn't play much of ME3 either.

Did some before and after comparisons of some of my custom Ryders. The hair and eye improvements make a pretty big difference I think. Maybe they could tone down the shininess on the hair a little bit.

masseffectandromeda_2l9yp9.png
masseffectandromeda_2s3l2m.png

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The custom characters are so bad, Playstation Home had deeper customization.

How did they not at least just copy and paste the Dragon Age: Inquisition CC?

Even with zero improvements, it shits on the one they delivered in ME:A.

Pure incompetence and fuckery, that.

prag16

Banned

I don't even care about the CC very much. But just for the hell of it I popped into it just to look around. And Good God, you guys weren't kidding. Worse than I could have imagined. I remember not being TOO impressed with DA:I's creator... results ended up looking kind of too samey (e.g. any blonde female CC player I've seen posted looks A LOT like my charater). But the one in ME:A is next level bad, no doubt.

Madness

Honestly the 5 years of development hell is to blame. Some things were probably created early and rarely improved on. By the end, with these two patches, I have to assume they didn't even have time to QA test the game before it went gold and sent to production. Bootstrap development just to get it finished. Mass Effect deserves better, even if we all become 40 year olds by the time of the next release.

Lt-47

Because they use scanned faces for every characters like sport game often do. And that doesn't really work well with a standard CC like previous Bioware games use. It's very time consuming to setup good morph for tons of very different mesh and overlaying texture doesn't work as well either if you want to change complexion or things like that. Which make me wonder what can they even improve on with a simple patch.

Like many things in the game it's seems they tried new tech and they didn't pan out

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Did some before and after comparisons of some of my custom Ryders. The hair and eye improvements make a pretty big difference I think. Maybe they could tone down the shininess on the hair a little bit.
The only difference in shininess and the hair quality is still on a last gen level. They need to implement TressFX / Pure Hair in static form at least, but they won't for obvious reasons now.

Renekton

Damn, just some minor differences to eye shader and position can affect immersion so much.

magimix

Damn, just some minor differences to eye shader and position can affect immersion so much.

When it comes to stuff like that, it really can have a seemingly disproportionate impact. Engaging presentation and staging can at times carry you through rough writing, and conversely poor presentation can kill things regardless of how good writing is.

I hope they are able to get a decent way through their list of things that want to address, even if they can't get through all of it. I've stated my position on the game already, so I won't labour that here. But even even if Andromeda isn't the game for me (though after some time, distance, and hopefully more updates, I'll give the game another pop if I have time), I do nonetheless want it to be the best version of what it can be.

As Sara is there any relationships you can complete at the same time?
Did Peebee my first playthrough but want to go ahead and knock out the 3relationship trophy this time without needing another.

Lt-47

The only difference in shininess and the hair quality is still on a last gen level. They need to implement TressFX / Pure Hair in static form at least, but they won't for obvious reasons now.

They can't and shouldn't.
Pure Hair like effect is far too GPU intensive for console (and most pc). Using it on every character in a scene would tank performance even on high end pc. And it's pretty much all or nothing in an RPG with a CC like this one, you'r not going to author every haircut twice just for that.

Cardboard hair is still the way to go this gen by a very long shot.

prag16

Banned
As Sara is there any relationships you can complete at the same time?
Did Peebee my first playthrough but want to go ahead and knock out the 3relationship trophy this time without needing another.
I believe flings like Reyes and the reporter can be done alongside "main" romances.

prag16

Banned
The thing that's worse than the crappy character creator is the fact that they blatantly lied about it before release.
Maybe they honestly thought the scanned head method led to more pleasing results. I mean, they were wrong for multiple reasons, but I won't necessarily jump to attribute it to malice.

Yeul

Maybe they honestly thought the scanned head method led to more pleasing results. I mean, they were wrong for multiple reasons, but I won't necessarily jump to attribute it to malice.

It's moreso that they said that the CC was similar to DA:I, which it isn't at all.

What is the deal with autosaves? Said I was full so I deleted a bunch of them from my first playthrough, it saved 1 time now keeps saying full again every few minutes.

Bliddo

Quick question: with the latest patch and with the current EU PSN 30% discount, is it worth buying or it's better to wait for a stronger sale?

Lagamorph

My biggest issue with the character creator was that you couldn't take the default Ryder and then modify from there. The second you picked custom character all of the presets were absolutely nothing like the default Ryder.
I wanted to take the default and just make a few tweaks.

Quick question: with the latest patch and with the current EU PSN 30% discount, is it worth buying or it's better to wait for a stronger sale?
Too subjective really, I felt it was worth full price and still felt satisfied even though the Deluxe dropped to $39.99 less than a week after I paid full price(before the latest patch).

Hahs

I'm disappointed how it shipped, but honestly I'm having fun with it...not playing it for awe, more for story, and back stories, and history of Andromeda through datapads.

Yeah iterative development is on temp. hiatus, but IMO jumping directly into a sequel after this quilt-work is a very bad idea... so overall I'm happy with them stepping back - still digging Andromeda too

RDreamer

Just got back to this game after finishing Persona 5 the other day, and I'm looking at the credits for this now, too. Honestly I really loved my experience. I'd definitely put it ahead of ME1 and maybe tied with ME3, though that's a hard fight since ME3 had a lot built up to it. ME2 still sits at the top. The game overall did not put its best foot forward, but I felt like a lot of the back half of the game was really stellar. The gameplay was great, I liked the characters, and the overall story worked pretty well I think. I'd really love to see a sequel in this cluster/universe where they just tighten things up a bit.

Justified

Going to pick up this game today Im wondering if I should take the current patch or not before I start playing?

Basically I was to use the XP/Credits/etc exploits, and Im wondering if the well documented ones are patched out by 1.06?

Spare me the ridicule please I want to play the game mostly for the story, and really just to play since I like video games, so I don't care about being overpowered (8/10 times I typically prefer it in RPGs)

prag16

Banned
Going to pick up this game today Im wondering if I should take the current patch or not before I start playing?

Basically I was to use the XP/Credits/etc exploits, and Im wondering if the well documented ones are patched out by 1.06?

Spare me the ridicule please I want to play the game mostly fore the story, and really just to play since I like video games, so I don't care about being overpowered (8/10 times I typically prefer it in RPGs)

There's a piss-easy difficulty level a notch or two below the default. Should work fine with your goal in mind.

Justified

There's a piss-easy difficulty level a notch or two below the default. Should work fine with your goal in mind.

Will it let me rack up credits and xp quickly? Im not concerned with mowing down enemies I just want the best skills/weapons, then Ill set the difficulty back up

prag16

Banned
Will it let me rack up credits and xp quickly? Im not concerned with mowing down enemies I just want the best skills/weapons, then Ill set the difficulty back up

Ah, I read "I don't care about being overpowered" to mean that being overpowered is NOT a priority. It seems you means it's okay if you're overpowered. I don't think lowering difficulty reduces XP/credit rewards, but it may not do what you want. Maybe you can download somebody's save file and start a NG+ off of it (if you're on PC) to retain all the high level gear and credits.

Justified

Ah, I read "I don't care about being overpowered" to mean that being overpowered is NOT a priority. It seems you means it's okay if you're overpowered. I don't think lowering difficulty reduces XP/credit rewards, but it may not do what you want. Maybe you can download somebody's save file and start a NG+ off of it (if you're on PC) to retain all the high level gear and credits.

Ill be on PS4. Thanks for the reply though.

Yea I know most people think being OP ruins the game for them, not for me though

Seems the XP glitch is still there post 1.06, have seen anything about the credits and resource box one

Arklite

It's crazy just how far behind par they released. So much of this game needed a 'final pass' that's so evident with these small yet notable improvements. Finishing touches, more like.

I think one of my problems with the character creator is just how inconsistent things can get scene to scene.

My Sara for example(my avatar) I liked the red hair at first but suddenly there were scenes where she looked like Bozo the clown.

_woLf

Decided to fire up the game to see if it worked.

I am still 100% blocked. The galaxy map doesn't work for me at all anymore. I can't move the mouse around at all, I can just press space to zoom out. The first time I open the galaxy map, I'm able to close it and go back to my ship. If I load up the map again and zoom out again, the galaxy map doesn't load and I become completely blocked and have to alt + F4 to close the game. I've had this issue ever since the 1.05 patch came out last month. I really hoped 1.06 would fix it.

This is absolutely unacceptable and I have no idea what to do. I cannot play the game that I paid money for. I didn't buy it through Origin so I can't exactly ask for a refund.

Has anyone else had this issue? Are there any solutions?

Top Bottom