• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

They're definitely noticeable, but having zero tearing regardless of frame swings and not having the lag introduced by vsync is the best of all worlds.

Gotcha, gotcha.

Here's hoping the tech makes its way into a 65" OLED some day....

Won't hold my breath though. Thanks for the info.

george_us

About three hours or so into the game, just got to the Nexus. I'm digging it so far. To me it just feels like a typical Bioware game, jank and all. I can see why people would be disappointed though. With a lot of open world games straddling the line between action and RPG, it kind of does feel like the genre may have left Bioware behind a bit. If you enjoyed the ME games though, nothing here should change your mind unless the game takes a nose dive later.

Lime

People who are interested in game development might find this comparison intriguing. I compared the EA Play trailer with the release (spoiler if you haven't seen the EA Play trailer or
Drack's
loyalty mission). Things change in game development, yet it's still a huge difference in lighting. Marketing trailers are usually not representative of the final game, so this comparison doesn't really mean anything other than if you're interested in game development & marketing and how this game has changed throughout

cngsUt8
qn90eVQ

I really wish we had gotten the former at least on PC

Neverwas

played for an hour, shut it off in dismay. voice acting is mediocre at best, the writing is terrible, and the gameplay/combat feels wonky and outdated, like ME1 was their base, rather than ME3. After landing on the first planet, I realized how good the worlds were in previous Mass Effect games, because Bioware knew better than to use the trope of (seemingly randomly placed) big glowing mushrooms. Ooooooh, so alien!

tried multi for 1 match. this is the same team that made the ME3 multiplayer? what the fuck happened to them? this is nowhere near the quality of 3.

ironcreed

Banned
About three hours or so into the game, just got to the Nexus. I'm digging it so far. To me it just feels like a typical Bioware game, jank and all. I can see why people would be disappointed though. With a lot of open world games straddling the line between action and RPG, it kind of does feel like the genre may have left Bioware behind a bit. If you enjoyed the ME games though, nothing here should change your mind unless the game takes a nose dive later.

The thing is, everyone is saying that it really picks up later, even though it had me from the jump. Of course I dig BioWare games, so there you go.

I think it feels like the work of a Bioware B-Team, but that aside I definitely agree here. Bioware is to Story RPGs what Bethesda is to "here's a big world, do whatever" RPGs. It's janky as fuck, usually pretty charming, with a fanbase that will always buy whatever they put out, but I do get the impression that as far as the rest of the gaming world is concerned, it left them behind. I'm loving ME:A a hell of a lot more than I ever enjoyed Fallout 4, but I feel a similar vibe.

Kyoufu

played for an hour, shut it off in dismay. voice acting is mediocre at best, the writing is terrible, and the gameplay/combat feels wonky and outdated, like ME1 was their base, rather than ME3. After landing on the first planet, I realized how good the worlds were in previous Mass Effect games, because Bioware knew better than to use the trope of (seemingly randomly placed) big glowing mushrooms. Ooooooh, so alien!

tried multi for 1 match. this is the same team that made the ME3 multiplayer? what the fuck happened to them? this is nowhere near the quality of 3.

Psyonix (Rocket League devs) worked on ME3's multiplayer so their absence here is very noticeable.

That seems like an extremely limited sample size. 1 hour of sp and 1 match of mp. Hard to see how any RPG can hit its combat stride that quickly.

Despite the total technical mess of the game, I'm enjoying what I've played so far. Just made it past the mission that the trial teases the player with and have seen more technical issues in said mission than anything in the hours prior.

Looking forward to getting into multiplayer but the microtransaction system looks to be pretty rough-- I thought premium packs were 10,000 points, not 100,000, jokes on me I guess.

I feel like the fact that I really like this game has made me understand those who really like Fallout 4.

What is it that makes you feel that way?

I finished F4, but I was pretty burned out half way through, pushed to the end, and honestly don't remember a single thing about that game that I'd call "great." I was all just kind of, fine.

I liked my ten hours with the trial so far, so I'm wondering what the comparison is?

Neverwas

Psyonix (Rocket League devs) worked on ME3's multiplayer so their absence here is very noticeable.

Wait, so this isn't the same team? I was under the impression the team behind the DLC and multi for 3 worked on Andromeda... It's like I can't find a straight answer on who actually worked on this game lol.

I feel like the fact that I really like this game has made me understand those who really like Fallout 4.

Same here. Hated FO4, love this game, couldn't see what people saw in FO4 but I definitely see the contrast between my experience with ME:A and animation-gate.

I finished F4, but I was pretty burned out half way through, pushed to the end, and honestly don't remember a single thing about that game that I'd call "great." I was all just kind of, fine.

I liked my ten hours with the trial so far, so I'm wondering what the comparison is?

The fact that most people felt the same way you did, but the hardcore fanbase disagreed because of course it did, it's Bethesda fans.

(disclaimer: Bethesda fan since Daggerfall. FO4 didn't hook me, but I can see how "it's another Bethesda game" is all people needed, and "it's a new Mass Effect" is kind of my feeling there as well.)

Cyriades

About three hours or so into the game, just got to the Nexus. I'm digging it so far. To me it just feels like a typical Bioware game, jank and all. I can see why people would be disappointed though.
It's the "cool" thing to do right now. You know, there's a whole thread just for that and I'm sure over half of them had not played the final game.

Makikou

The quote below:

Same here. Hated FO4, love this game, couldn't see what people saw in FO4 but I definitely see the contrast between my experience with ME:A and animation-gate.

I really feel I'm giving it a free pass because "Mass Effect" yet I fuckin love it since it is Mass Effect.

I am counting 13/14 frames from camera input until movement on screen, that's just ridiculous.

Measured with 60fps camera on sub1 frame input lag monitor.

13*16,66= 216ms!!

ps4 pro btw

Enjoying the game, but I'm definitely noticing the lack of connective tissue in the writing.

Wow man calm down a bit.....it was a fair question as I think myself and many other people found the strike teams and point systems pretty straight forward and similar to ME3. If you are mad about micro-transactions then you should probably stop playing Multiplayer games in general because I can't think of a single one in the last 3 years that doesn't have it in some fashion or another.

Titanfall 2

Vengal

Mission points can also be used for items like ammo packs, revive kits, RPGs, and equipment to be used in multiplayer. They are not just for strike teams. Afaik you can't buy them with real money.

Andromeda points can be used for packs and are bought with real money.

So mission points give a similar benefit to a purely multiplayer player that strike teams give to a purely singleplayer player. I see no issues with them.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I just want to say, now that I'm sinking time into it and not rushing like I did the trial, I'm really feeling what they're going for. Some characters and dialogue come across flat and dry in the same way so much of Mankind Divided did for me. Some of the tech doesn't shine through, particularly in Frostbite's unusual lighting and BioWare's odd facial rigging (the eyes, mainly). The production is scattered, weird absence of music at times, not particularly mouse/keyboard friendly UI, and so on. And the design doesn't always match my desires, like the massively reduced NPC control.

But I'm still feeling it. I'm still feeling Mass Effect, the vibe of the new setting, how the cast is coming together, and the far greater flexibility in control and play. I'll have a lot of thoughts to digest by the end, I'm sure of it. But for now I'm in all the way.

Ralemont

not me
No more sleeps until Andromeda. Can't believe it's finally here. BB exclusive steelbook otw. Gonna be at work staring at my copy like -__________-

Running around Veold, starting to get SWTOR vibes. If all of the planets are like this (big and empty, with camps and enemy clusters randomly plunked down wherever) I'm going to be disappointed. DA:I's zones were fairly dense and a joy to explore, Veold feels like it was stretched out simply to accommodate the Nomad.

The quote below:

I really feel I'm giving it a free pass because "Mass Effect" yet I fuckin love it since it is Mass Effect.

Ahhhh, gotcha. So FO4 fans ostensibly liked a bad game, the same as ME:A fans. (lots of room for subjectivity in that statement).

I guess I just never knew anyone personally who was super passionate about FO4. To the point above about Bethesda fans though, I'm sure those people are out there.

ironcreed

Banned
I just want to say, now that I'm sinking time into it and not rushing like I did the trial, I'm really feeling what they're going for. Some characters and dialogue come across flat and dry in the same way so much of Mankind Divided did for me. Some of the tech doesn't shine through, particularly in Frostbite's unusual lighting and BioWare's odd facial rigging (the eyes, mainly). The production is scattered, weird absence of music at times, not particularly mouse/keyboard friendly UI, and so on. And the design doesn't always match my desires, like the massively reduced NPC control.

But I'm still feeling it. I'm still feeling Mass Effect, the vibe of the new setting, how the cast is coming together, and the far greater flexibility in control and play. I'll have a lot of thoughts to digest by the end, I'm sure of it. But for now I'm in all the way.

235x240px-LL-c50386a2_nod-of-approval.gif

It's Mass Effect at the core. Thankfully, without the clunky controls.

Running around Veold, starting to get SWTOR vibes. If all of the planets are like this (big and empty, with camps and enemy clusters randomly plunked down wherever) I'm going to be disappointed. DA:I's zones were fairly dense and a joy to explore, Veold feels like it was stretched out simply to accommodate the Nomad.

I am not there yet but I agree, that would be a big disappointment. Especially since sites like IGN said the worlds were interesting to explore a while ago and BioWare themselves said it really brought the sense of scale and exploration back. Let's hope they have the right sense of the idea of exploration.

I'm about 18 hours in and I think the best part of it, story wise, is the Tempest crew. Basically everyone on that ship is great and has a lot going on and the fact that they are always moving around after missions and talking to each other and have tons to say is really great. They've grown on me a ton. And the combat is amazing.

red36

Neo Member
People who are interested in game development might find this comparison intriguing. I compared the EA Play trailer with the release (spoiler if you haven't seen the EA Play trailer or
Drack's
loyalty mission). Things change in game development, yet it's still a huge difference in lighting. Marketing trailers are usually not representative of the final game, so this comparison doesn't really mean anything other than if you're interested in game development & marketing and how this game has changed throughout

cngsUt8
qn90eVQ

I really wish we had gotten the former at least on PC

It's really amazing. I'm just dumbfounded when I see this and the other comparison floating around. How can something go from such high quality to so low quality? Surely there's no performance difference with the lighting, which is 1000 times better. In the other gif, why did the Krogan change to a clown? Why bother spending the time ruining what was great?
Compromises for consoles seems too simple an explanation. There are great looking console games out there, and this is a cutscene. So they have the ability to drop out loads of stuff.

that could be the issue. Essentially the engine is great at handling macro detail (landscapes, planets, vehicles) but it wasn't designed to handle the micro detail required for the movie-like experience of ME. Late in development they realized this and had to gut everything to make it work. Devs hit a wall in terms of their ability, and EA lost patience in terms of investment, and said salvage what you can, make it work.

It's SUCH a shame. Because if the above scenario is vaguely on point, there isn't really a single entity to blame.

CSJ

People need the grind. Titanfall 1 had the best gameplay but little grind, and so people left to games with grind. Its a weird psychological need to feel progress, expecially since real world has so many barriers.

I understand that, it's why I really enjoy MP games like overwatch and such, you just play.
Don't have time for MP like Andromeda, I wish parts of it wasn't tied to SP.

CSJ

That's the parts I loved about DA:I, it was dense in areas and it had a lot of places no marked you can explore. So far, going out of my way to random areas has literally yielded nothing. Zilch. Hopefully that changes.

Im gonna restart for the third time tonight and just choose default male ryder, twice now ive tried to make a character with this thing and twice it has not looked right, they really screwed up with character creator, even inquisitions was better.

megalowho

They really turned the Nathan Drake dial up to 11. Snark snark snark. Have a feeling I'm not gonna be a fan of the writing in this game, series has always been corny but everyone doesn't have to be a shitty comedian either.

Jetpack and the cover system feels off to me, haven't gotten used to either yet. I'll spec vanguard as usual but so far it seems like ME3 combat with some tweaks that may or may not be for the better.

Iceman829

What exactly is the multiplayer in this game?

Co-op? Horde mode? Team Deathmatch? what is it?!?

It's like the mp in ME3. There are 7 waves. Some waves your objective is to just survive the enemies. Other rounds you are given an objective that includes things such as sitting in a circle with all your teammates while a bar fills up or run around the map disarming items 1 at a time. The final wave (7) is the extraction wave. You hold out until the timer expires and you get a bonus if the full team extracts.

It's 4 player co-op

Xando

So has anyone discovered how to upgrade your Nomad?
And is there some kind of stash or bank or something to clear some mods from the inventory?

FatalT

Banned
I gave Mass Effect:Andromeda's co-op mode a fair chance. About 5 hours worth of a fair chance. It's not fun and seems to push you to purchase the micro transactions for more characters/better gear or to grind the hell out of it. I can't handle a game like that when I'm not having fun. Out of the bronze difficulty (easiest) missions I've done throughout the night, only ONE has managed to extract after finishing the six waves of random missions.

This is bad game design. This is game design that wants you to open up your wallet beyond the $60 for the good stuff. I'm done with the multiplayer because it's a cash-grab grinding waste of time that quite frankly is not fun to me.

I'll try the single player more since it's not due back until 9:00 PM on Wednesday but honestly I kinda wish I would've rented Horizon: Zerp Dawn or Ghost Recon: Wildlands again, or hell, even For Honor with its horrible P2P net-code.

At least I had a free credit from Red Box to rent this turd. If the single player campaign changes my mind I'll chug a 40 oz of Miller High Life while Live-Streaming on Facebook but that won't happen because the game is an utter disappointment.

Im gonna restart for the third time tonight and just choose default male ryder, twice now ive tried to make a character with this thing and twice it has not looked right, they really screwed up with character creator, even inquisitions was better.

I would be into default Ryder but his beard is the worst. I'm a beard man and Scott Ryder has a terrible beard. Having said that, I'm still trying to decide which Ryder to go with.

Top Bottom