• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

But I'm still feeling it. I'm still feeling Mass Effect, the vibe of the new setting, how the cast is coming together, and the far greater flexibility in control and play. I'll have a lot of thoughts to digest by the end, I'm sure of it. But for now I'm in all the way.
My sentiments exactly

telasoman

I love this series, but if you had a choice between this or Horizon what would it be? Plus I love a SciFi setting.

Havent played ME:A yet, but Horizon is fantastic. Just platinumed it, and its only the second game i've ever done that in.

I would say get Horizon now, and wait for the steam to blow over on the ME:A drama and see if you still want that one later.

ironcreed

Banned
I love this series, but if you had a choice between this or Horizon what would it be? Plus I love a SciFi setting.

Horizon is a finely polished experience with an absolutely breathtaking world and one of the most likable characters to come along in quite some time. I would not miss it given the choice, but I also could not pass up the new Mass Effect and am really glad I bought it as well. Up to you, my friend.

This is bad game design. This is game design that wants you to open up your wallet beyond the $60 for the good stuff. I'm done with the multiplayer because it's a cash-grab grinding waste of time that quite frankly is not fun to me.

Dude, they let you have human vanguard right at the beginning. That is the good stuff. Equip a couple of pistols to get your power cooldown at 100% and start cleaning house.

I'll ignore the negative implication regarding the Miller High Life, for now.

Fuck that Salarian named Tann! Fucking pussy.
he used the Krogans to put down the rebellion on the Nexus and didn't honor the deal that was made with the Krogans. Then he says some Biggot racist shit about the Krogan only being good for moving boxes.

Krogan's are my favorite race in any Bioware game so I'm bias.

I only got to played just under 3 hours last night and I like the game. I have to get used to the gameplay because I mainly play games like Pokémon and JRPG titles. I died a bit last night on normal because of that. I'm going to start over later today now that I've done my dry run and know what to expect gameplay and story wise.

Not really an impression, I know. That's why I don't do this professionally.

RPGCrazied

Havent played ME:A yet, but Horizon is fantastic. Just platinumed it, and its only the second game i've ever done that in.

I would say get Horizon now, and wait for the steam to blow over on the ME:A drama and see if you still want that one later.

Horizon is a finely polished experience with an absolutely breathtaking world and one of the most likable characters to come along in quite some time. I would not miss it given the choice, but I also could not pass up the new Mass Effect and am really glad I bought it as well. Up to you, my friend.

Some of the reviews say that Andromeda's writing is ho hum, is Horizon's better?

noomi

It's like the mp in ME3. There are 7 waves. Some waves your objective is to just survive the enemies. Other rounds you are given an objective that includes things such as sitting in a circle with all your teammates while a bar fills up or run around the map disarming items 1 at a time. The final wave (7) is the extraction wave. You hold out until the timer expires and you get a bonus if the full team extracts.

It's 4 player co-op

ok got it, but the actual single player campaign is not coop, right?

ironcreed

Banned
Some of the reviews say that Andromeda's writing is ho hum, is Horizon's better?

Well, I thought the story was interesting, but I don't think it is mind blowing or anything. It was Aloy herself, the world and gameplay that captured me most.

As for Andromeda, I am very early into it, but I am already pulled in. It's typical BioWare and if you like their games then you should feel right at home.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Yes. It's well written, has great characters and one of the better gaming stories I've experienced.

I'm liking ME:A, but Horizon is my game of the generation so far.

The performance on the PS4 Pro is all over the fucking place, along with astronomically high input lag.

Hope they at least address some of the technical issues.

megalowho

The writing is terrible, as is the animation. I just can't take the game seriously at all. Still you have many people who say it's fine and can't notice anything particularly bad about it.
I'm kind of in the same boat. I don't think I'm that picky either, was able to suspend disbelief for the original trilogy and other Bioware games. Between the derpy animations, dumb responses and my black Ryder sounding like budget Nolan North, it's been difficult to get invested and take the game seriously. Will just have to let it go at some point or it's going to continue to bother me.

xrnzaaas

I really hope they'll add an option to fast forward during galaxy travel. What was the point of introducing unskippable 5-10 second+ animations? Besides since this is galaxy view only it's almost definitely not for the purpose of hiding loading screens.

Carcetti

Horizon's backstory, history, worldbuilding and the scifi concepts are done REALLY well for a video game. Plus the story is very satisfying emotionally. Andromeda is not even in the same galaxy when it comes to quality. (ha ha).

telasoman

Horizon has its fair share of cheesy story, but it has some good twists along the way. The VA is spot on, and the characters are likable once you get through the quests.

I actually spent time finding the various lore items and read/listened to everything I found. I havent done that since Morrowwind when I was like 14.

The game is solid all the way around. Graphics, story, gameplay.

HariKari

As for Andromeda, I am very early into it, but I am already pulled in. It's typical BioWare and if you like their games then you should feel right at home.

I don't think it's typical BioWare. It's several notches below. I'm not being pulled in at all, to the point where I tried MP to see if I could get some value out of the game. The first vault is fun but there's no momentum to the story so far. Drack, Vetra, and Peebee (surprisingly enough) are the only things keeping me interested at the moment.

I am really missing the presence/quality of music from the old games. The atmosphere in Andromeda is a really hard sell.

I really hope they'll add an option to fast forward during galaxy travel. What was the point of introducing unskippable 5-10 second+ animations? Besides since this is galaxy view only it's almost definitely not for the purpose of hiding loading screens.

It'd be nice to board the Tempest without leaving the planet as well.

valkyre

The performance on the PS4 Pro is all over the fucking place, along with astronomically high input lag.

This is embarrassing really...

If they are not competent enough to optimize the least they can do is just give the 1080p option and be done with it. This is even easy for the laziest developer out there.

Alienfan

I feel like I'm one of the few who just didn't think much of Horizon. It felt way too much like Tomb Raider mixed with Far Cry, but just not as good as either of those games. A bit dull and if you've read sci-fi books you'll see the twists coming a mile away. I'm having more fun playing Mass Effect Andromeda, even if it isn't amazing like the original trilogy, it's still worth playing through. The combat is fun and challenging, exploration is great, I love the anticipation of landing on a new planet and trying imagine what the landscape will look like and what sort of new creatures you'll encounter.

But buy NieR first :p

Toa TAK

Banned
So am I missing something for the Galaxy Map or is it just mostly a horizontal slider? I really prefer the freedom of movement the past three games had, or at least ME1.

sangreal

I can't believe they thought this was okay.

finlaybob

Neo Member

This. 100%. It serves literally no purpose. The data it's loading is minimal, if any. Doesn't make any sense at all.

I might take a look at a hardware monitor to see what the disk activity is when this is happening.

Rellik

It's terrible. I'm having a hard time getting through the start of this tutorial section because of the framerate on the Pro.

At least give me a 1080p option.

Edit: My fans are going crazy too.

void666

Banned
My original Scott looked like something out of the sims. I was so unhappy i decided to play through the intro all over again. But now my character is a square jawed bald space marine.
Tried to make Sara look hot but settled with her looking less dorkish.
The character presets are hideous. And the hair? What year is this again?

Characters apart i think this game is quite the looker.
Combat is fun. Jumping, dashing, charging. Loving the mobility.

Zakalwe

Banned

Horizon's writing is ok, it's not great but it's better than the average video game.

Horizon isn't going to fill the same space that you wanted to fill with ME, Horizon's a good game but the RPG elements are some of its weakest/shallowest parts.

It depends what kind of game you want to play right now.

ironcreed

Banned
Horizon's writing is ok, it's not great but it's better than the average video game.

Horizon isn't going to fill the same space that you wanted to fill with ME, Horizon's a good game but the RPG elements are some of its weakest/shallowest parts.

It depends what kind of game you want to play right now.

My only knock against Horizon is constantly gathering trees and herbs, along with having to scan for a trail over and over. It's a fantastic game, but still has it's share of tedium.

Nephtes

Not sure I like the cover system, like at all.
I want a button to press that shoves me into and out of cover.
Right now I'm fumbling with it... It seems rather hit or miss.

I'm enjoying the gun play and the jet pack though!

And the "smoothness" of the game (compared to the previous game I was playing, FFXV, which is a stuttery mess).

So far I haven't seen too many awkward expressions...And I haven't seen any of the weird bugs in display here​...
I'm actually really enjoying the graphics... The materials look proper next gen everywhere, where again, the previous game I was playing (FFXV) looked very hit or miss depending on what part of the world you were in.

Zesh

Man, I'm tired of scanning things already, and I'm only on the second planet. It seems like 90% of the quests utilize this mechanic. You walk so slowly, and the actual scanner covers such a small portion of the screen.

I don't know why this, of all things, was their main takeaway from Witcher III.

I actually timed the animation, and it took over 20 seconds to switch planets. It's unbearable when you're trying to scan multiple systems for experience/resources.

Well, I just got to the 'My face is tired' scene and I made it through, so I guess it can only get better from here? That character and that whole conversation is something else though. How it got into a $40million game, it's kind of amazing.

All the humans in this game are problematic though. Short dumpy bodies, big heads, crazy eyes with no detail, bad lip synching at times. I know it's been said, but what a shit show. Coming off the original trilogy it's such a comedown. I can only hope somebody manages to release at least an eye mod of some sort. But I guess we're stuck with most of it.

Still, outside of the bad human characters and some sitcom level writing at times, the game is very much Mass Effect. The basic plot and storyline seems solid. And I kind of like the straightforward alien threat led by the big baddie. Sometimes it's good to just stick with the classics and have a good old-fashioned alien villain.

UncleMeat

I am counting 13/14 frames from camera input until movement on screen, that's just ridiculous.

Measured with 60fps camera on sub1 frame input lag monitor.

13*16,66= 216ms!!

ps4 pro btw

Interesting, thanks for posting. The input lag is really terrible on X1 as well. I played some ME2 last night after my trial expired and the aiming was much tighter.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Great fucking start, started game this morning put console into sleep mode come back hour later and guy is frozen. Game still runs and can move camera but guy forzen....

FatalT

Banned
Everyone claiming "'Mass Effect 3's multiplayer had 'X' so it should be no surprise that Andromeda also has 'X.'"

Did you all completely forget that Andromeda is a new beginning for new players to join in and experience the greatness of Mass Effect? So far I'm just feeling like a Freshman in High School being given a swirly from Mass Effect Trilogy seniors because I'm not used to the game's mechanics. Way to go on that one there, friends.

I don't get a few things.

I picked up cryo ammo and I have incendiary ammo equipped. How do I select the cryo ammo? It's quite different from the previous games and I didn't worry about this in the trial.

Coxy100

Banned
I gave Mass Effect:Andromeda's co-op mode a fair chance. About 5 hours worth of a fair chance. It's not fun and seems to push you to purchase the micro transactions for more characters/better gear or to grind the hell out of it. I can't handle a game like that when I'm not having fun. Out of the bronze difficulty (easiest) missions I've done throughout the night, only ONE has managed to extract after finishing the six waves of random missions.

This is bad game design. This is game design that wants you to open up your wallet beyond the $60 for the good stuff. I'm done with the multiplayer because it's a cash-grab grinding waste of time that quite frankly is not fun to me.

I'll try the single player more since it's not due back until 9:00 PM on Wednesday but honestly I kinda wish I would've rented Horizon: Zerp Dawn or Ghost Recon: Wildlands again, or hell, even For Honor with its horrible P2P net-code.

At least I had a free credit from Red Box to rent this turd. If the single player campaign changes my mind I'll chug a 40 oz of Miller High Life while Live-Streaming on Facebook but that won't happen because the game is an utter disappointment.
Gutted to hear this - was really looking forward to multiplayer :(

Anyone got a positive experience of multiplayer?

It's pretty good for a video game. Horizon is one of the best games this generation and is technically sound. It isn't a space RPG like mass effect but judging from the responses here it would be best to wait on mass effect and get horizon. Maybe by then bioware would fix some of the issues wrong with the game

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Well, I just got to the 'My face is tired' scene and I made it through, so I guess it can only get better from here? That character and that whole conversation is something else though. How it got into a $40million game, it's kind of amazing.

Yeah, Allison almost feels like she was made & written by some intern. "My face is tired" "What happened with ..........Pathfinder" "you're not Pathfinder until you pathfound something". Plus the emotionless face & ugly makeup... Thank god it's not always that bad.

RS4-

Man, I'm tired of scanning things already, and I'm only on the second planet. It seems like 90% of the quests utilize this mechanic. You walk so slowly, and the actual scanner covers such a small portion of the screen.

I don't know why this, of all things, was their main takeaway from Witcher III.

I actually timed the animation, and it took over 20 seconds to switch planets. It's unbearable when you're trying to scan multiple systems for experience/resources.

lol seriously, there is zero excuse to have all that loading and the transitions for travelling between planets. It's really dumb.

Can't pause in cutscenes, etc. Stupid shit.

Anyone have an answer for how long the story + loyalty missions put together are on average?

About 40 to 50 hours. Total content would be 70 to 80.

So I hear a lot of negativity about the side quests.

Does this include Loyalty Missions? Are those at least good???

The Loyalty Missions are quite good. Satisfying characters arcs for the Tempest crew in general, and the loyalty missions contribute to that with unique gameplay. For example, in Liam's,
the enemy ship's gravity flips a lot, creating really janky rooms with improvised cover and platforming.

Snagret

Gutted to hear this - was really looking forward to multiplayer :(

Anyone got a positive experience of multiplayer?
Honestly, it's not that bad. One of the worst mistakes it does is poorly communicate how the player is supposed to engage with the loot box based progression system.

It's pretty much identical to how ME3's progression loop worked. The intention is that you play Bronze matches in the early stages, and use the money you get from those to buy a lot of the smaller loot boxes (you can earn about 2-3 per completed Bronze match). You do this until you unlock enough gear/characters/upgrades, in combination with leveling up your roster, until you can survive Silver matches consistently. Once you can manage that, you start earning enough from Silver matches to buy higher tier loot boxes for higher chances at rarer, more powerful drops and characters. You continue the same path through Gold and Platinum, essentially.

If you're saving your cash from Bronze matches to buy the most expensive loot boxes, the progression slows to a crawl and it can feel frustrating. But you're not really supposed to do that.

lol seriously, there is zero excuse to have all that loading and the transitions for travelling between planets. It's really dumb.

I'm sure they have their reasons as to why all the "space transition" screens are there.

It might be for load times.

It might be due to a lack of discussion around the player experience.

It's certainly not that there are zero excuses as to why it exists but I can't imagine many of us are going to like the actual reason.

...and I doubt Bioware would ever share the reason why at any rate. It's just one more really odd thing about the game.

The movie around the development cycle would prove entertaining.

Top Bottom