• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

When does the game really start to pick up?

This is a bit of a drag so far...

eehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

I am 25 hours in and the latest planet I landed on had some potentially cool stuff on it. I haven't really dug into it but there are two things on that planet that seem like they could be used well. So here's hoping. For the most part though everything has been kind of a constant flat line.

Jolkien

On Eos? Do the monolith next to the landing site first.

No idea how that went through unchecked it happened to a bunch of people myself included.

Oh, well that will teach me to do as much as possible before continuing on with the main objectives.

Thanks, glad I'm not the only one that fell for that at least.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Man if they can just patch the framerate id do a backflip. I can live with the other jank but playing on PS4 pro and some firefights turn into major clunkfests. Sucks cause I actually think the combat is good.

I kinda regret going with the Pro version over pc. I thought 4K uhd would be worth it but the performance is pretty bad.

Alucrid

Banned
so were you supposed to see the tempest in the galaxy map. like, it's really weird that the camera swings around when leaving / arriving at a planet.

eehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

I am 25 hours in and the latest planet I landed on had some potentially cool stuff on it. I haven't really dug into it but there are two things on that planet that seem like they could be used well. So here's hoping. For the most part though everything has been kind of a constant flat line.

Egh...really don't know if in feeling this game. Just doesn't feel exciting. Everything just kinda feels half-assed to me. Hope it starts to really pick up....

Gameplay is really quite good though the input lag is kind of annoying especially when sniping.

nOoblet16

I am about to move onto the next planet, is it later on in the game?

You will have a quest in Eos itself, it's actually one of the early main quests and the place where the 10 hour trial ended. You may have access to a new planet but it doesn't mean you are done with Eos. Finish that mission and you'll know how the system with hazards works. Once you finish that mission radiation will immediately start to go away allowing you to travel more freely, and over time as you play the game it'll get to a point where it goes away completely.

You will have a quest in Eos itself, it's actually one of the early main quests and the place where the 10 hour trial ended. You may have access to a new planet but it doesn't mean you are done with Eos. Finish that mission and you'll know how the system with hazards works. Once you finish that mission radiation will immediately start to go away allowing you to travel more freely, and over time as you play the game it'll get to a point where it goes away completely.

hmmmm, ive done absolutely everything I can do on Eos(except the stuff in radiated areas). I had the trial, and I beat the mission that it ended on. but the radiation is still level 3 and ends me in seconds when I get out of the nomad.

I suppose this would be a question for a spoiler thread (is there one?), but does the game's story leave it open ended, or is there an obvious overarching narrative as with the original trilogy?

Played 5 hours straight since the unlock on EU psn..

And i really liked those 5 hours . Hopefully the game will remain at this level or get better.

So far so good

I do not know what to do here I honestly like the game, the game play is alot of fun when it works but that is also the problem. Multiplayer is a constantly crashing mess on the PS4 version right now with people getting between 10-17 crashes attempting to play it! Just tonight I have personally had around 11 crashes so far.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm liking it a lot more now. Finished up some story and side quest stuff on Eos, spent time talking to crew mates on the ship and doing side quests back in the nexus and left and got through the intro story bits on Aya before calling it a night. Feeling more like Mass Effect at the least. I'm just under 12 hours in.

Still haven't seen many glitches. Only one that stood out is one of the drinks at the Vortex was invisible, Ryder just took a drink empty handed.

Enjoying this a lot. Maybe it helps that I was actually expecting Andromeda to be borderline bad considering it's obvious rocky development, but this is really nice. Saving during priority missions needs to be added and it's busted that stepping outside the designated area can deplete your life support before you even realize what's happening, but this feels like a perfectly legitimate Mass Effect 4 and it's just filling me with so much childish joy at seeing the stars. It's a flawed game, but no more so than Mass Effect 1 in my opinion. If they can refine these ideas for the next entry I think it could be something very special. Now we just have to hope this sells enough for EA not to can the franchise.

Just left Eos but I know I need to go back.

Some may not of liked Eos, but I really enjoyed my first time there..especially underground. Met drek but don't have him yet in my team yet. Have Peebee and I really like her.

the Nomad takes a bit to get used to...especially using boost. Same with Mining, will take a while to get used to.

Didn't notice any animation or graphic quirks during my time playing tonight. Having a blast playing this game.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
e4rdtxh.gif

hbkdx12

Hit the 15hr mark and I'm still on Eos lol. Left once to pick up Jaal while I was waiting for the radiation to clear, and I'm now back there and got to 98% viability.

I can see this easily being a 75hr+ game, for me.

I did the same thing. Pretty sure i've cleared out every single thing (All my icons are blue) i think i'm ready to move on now lol

I'm enjoying this game, I swear! But this has to be the jankiest performing game i've played in years. i'm playing this on the Pro, which makes the sheer amount of "jank" completely absurd. The bottom line though, is nothing is game breaking so far and i've been able to laugh off most of if.

With that said, here's some negatives:
- the journal and menu system is not intuitive and absurd they copy/pasted this for for ME:A.
- animations are just poor. lip syncing is basically non existent. it's really bad when you're having a lengthy convo and the character just repeats the same 7 second animation over and over again.
- I feel they do a poor job of explaining things? new skill changes, research/development/journal and other stuff is glossed over.
- felt i got like 20 side missions vomited on me at once early in the game and i'm not sure when/if any are worth it? Also, maybe try explaining things a little more in depth, one sentence summaries aren't enough/acceptable. And, are all the rewards basically just a boost to xp and nothing else? Going forward, quality over quantity, please.
-driving around in the Nomad feels like i'm attempting to play a Playstation 7 game on my Pro. So much pop in, framerate hits and multiple just outright pauses in the game where I thought the game was broken.
- the completely absurd decision to add mandatory animations when scanning planets in every system. Just why?! no one wants to watch/wait through this after the 3rd time they see it.
-loading screens in general. the planet scanning is the worst i've seen so far, but getting on the tram in the Nexus a hundred or so times is old as well. I just finished Horizon where I can run from one end of the map to the other without a loading screen so it's exponentially worse.

positives:
- facial animation is bad, but not gamebreaking. turn on the subtitles and you won't be as distracted by the lackluster animation. While funny, the issue is overblown and nothing new to us that know Mass Effect.
-writing isn't nearly as bad as some have made it out to be. So far in my game it seems like typical "mass effect" stuff. Which I wish it were a major improvement, but i'm entertained enough. hopefully i'll be getting through the "so, why did you come to Andromeda" question to every person soon.
- combat seems decent so far.
- i'm still early in, but interested to see where the story goes.

Like I said, I'm enjoying this. But man, this is one of the most nakedly "we need this out this fiscal year" games i've ever seen which makes it more frustrating because this has been in development 5ish years and they still
apparently needed way more time. The Mass Effect Trilogy is among my favorite things in gaming, so it's a bummer it's out in the state it's in. With all that said, excited for work to be over tomorrow so i can play this some more.

How do you complete Eos on your first arrival?

It seems that there are lots of 'walls' surrounding the area that I couldn't get pass due to the high level hazards.

I thought I should proceed with the story for now and come back later.

Disagree completely about the cauldron comparison. Cauldrons look much better to me because the art direction is much better, not so gaudy and draped in cheap-70s-SF tones.

Cauldrons look more stylish indeed, but I don't know I feel like they're quite underwhelming.

Especially after reading the impressions, I had a pretty high expectations for them.

Arriving on Aya for the first time certainly highlights the weaknesses in this game's writing.
First contact with an alien race
and the game just rushes past it. There is no sense of spectacle or strong storytelling. Nor is there compelling depth. The writing is reminiscent of Mankind Divided. Competent and workmanlike, but very dry and somewhat bland.

Grisby

All these marines must feel the need to get their squats in during work time I guess. Station's full of them.
any chance the first major patch hits this week?...Bioware has had some extra time with the EA Early Access to address and hopefully fix some of the major issues
I dunno, I remember there was a weird bug in Inquisition when you tried to custom create a certain character at one point and the game would then switch your genders, messing a lot of things up.

Feel like it took a month or so to fix it. Maybe more?
Some early spoilers :
http://i.imgur.com/CITR4ky.png

I think I'm gonna like Drack lol. Never been disappointed in Krogan squadmates so far.
Drack's great. He's Wrex if Wrex was an old geezer.

That email gave me a legit laugh.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I am not sure I'm feeling this just yet. First of all I'm using remote play. I'm having issues aiming and even shooting. I was hoping for a more optimized version on my Vita.

I'm like skipping all these beginning conversations. The film 2001 did this whole thing at the beginning. It feels generic. I had AI literally just stand there in place while I tried firing off a shot.

I'm curious into how this unfolds. It's very light. I remember Shepard and the council very well. I'm sure there's more to the story, but the characters haven't set in. I'm playing as Scott and I'm mostly entertained by the surroundings versus what's actually going on.

I'm probably wrong here. I see some good posts about it. I'm just hoping I get there instead of learning the ropes with small linear paths. I also get it, games do this way before they get to what they're good at.

Sigh

I miss the Citadel.

Zesh

How do you complete Eos on your first arrival?

It seems that there are lots of 'walls' surrounding the area that I couldn't get pass due to the high level hazards.

I thought I should proceed with the story for now and come back later.

It's not really feasible to do so. You can do it after advancing the story a bit.

Staf

Fuuuuuuck. 3 minutes into the game and i can't stop staring at the weird mouth movement and positioning. Is the male model better? Might play as the dude if it's better because this is really taking me out of it...

Trickster

Can't tell if a bug is preventing me from accessing a squadmates loyalty questline.

Sid, Vectra sister. Whenever I approach her in the operations area on the nexus, there's a highlight that pops up in the top right corner where you normally have the quest objective. It's saying to talk to Sid. When I do, she greets me enthusiastically, and then Ryder just says that she'll let her get on with her work. Vectra is pretty much the only member I haven't gotten any kind of mission with yet.

Whales

Banned
The MP is great.... when it works.

My last 2 games were plagued by insane lag and rubberbanding, it was crazy. i actually saved the clip on my PS4 and im going to upload it just to show you guys how crazy the lag gets. I've never had an issue in ME3 like this before, it's being a LOT more common in andromeda..

i just hope it's because the servers are overloaded right now because of launch... because if not Bioware needs to do something about this

Can't tell if a bug is preventing me from accessing a squadmates loyalty questline.

Sid, Vectra sister. Whenever I approach her in the operations area on the nexus, there's a highlight that pops up in the top right corner where you normally have the quest objective. It's saying to talk to Sid. When I do, she greets me enthusiastically, and then Ryder just says that she'll let her get on with her work. Vectra is pretty much the only member I haven't gotten any kind of mission with yet.

I've had a couple of bugs so far with sidequests making them impossible to complete until they get patched. Luckily they're not remotely important.

Ascenion

I'm about 15 hours in, totally love Male Ryder more than any Shepard and probably more than the Sister. Nathan Drake in Space is the best thing ever. If only he had combat quips.

Staf

Hahaha, guess my Ryder is adopted. My Ryder is pretty fair skin tone but daddy Ryder looks exactly like Billy Dee.

RS4-

The journal/quest tracking shit is pretty lousy. Not a fan of the janky platforming stuff. Don't like the waypoint stuff either, would've been nice if there was a distance marker on the top of the screen instead of just waiting for it to pop up on the HUD when it's 50m away and you're looking right at it.

Still on Eos, haven't had much time to play.

Top Bottom