• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

BenzMoney

firehawk12 said:
...I just know that KoTOR1, 2 and Jade Empire were far superior when the loading screens were seconds long rather than minutes...

Whoa, wait a second! "Minutes"?! Seriously?! I've put 22 hours into this game so far, and I've yet to see a loading screen take any longer than maybe 20-30 seconds. If you're having several-minute-long loads then you might look into replacing your 360, because that's not normal.

One thing I was really amazed by is how much spoken dialog there is in the game. How do they fit this all on a DVD? They must have some pretty good audio compression. When you consider that all of Shephard's dialog is doubled for male/female, plus all the spoken Codex entries, radio news, ambient chatter, and just the sheer volume of optional dialog branching... I'd love to know how many spoken words/lines are in the game overall.

Much respect to Bioware's writers for making all this work. It's impressive how the dynamic dialogs almost always feel organic, although as noted previously it is possible to engineer some pretty wacky exchanges, and if you alternate wildly between paragon/renegade responses Shepard comes across as a complete psycho. All part of the fun!

Revengeance said:
I finally got the chance to buy the game, which I did in my parent's hometown in CT, on my way back to NYC. Open up the box... ... no disc. WTF?? Why Best Buy? Why?

So after a 3 hour detour to CT and back again, I finally got the game home, no trouble from the Best Buy.

So far I'm loving it. Any protips for a Soldier?

Gary Whitta said:
One thing I was really amazed by is how much spoken dialog there is in the game. How do they fit this all on a DVD? They must have some pretty good audio compression. When you consider that all of Shephard's dialog is doubled for male/female, plus all the spoken Codex entries, radio news, ambient chatter, and just the sheer volume of optional dialog branching... I'd love to know how many spoken words/lines are in the game overall.

It is amazing, although I think Shepard (male Shepard, at least), could use a little more emotion. Unless he's being an ass, he always sounds the same to me.

Gowans

As I write this the credits are rolling.
18 game hours (probably almost double that in real time)

What a game, I loved every minute of it (well except when I forgot to save rigorously).

Made some silly choices or some things got on top of me

Mainly both Wrex and the girl Solider died early doors on the first main planet I went to

I hardly every play games for that length or get so engrossed wandering exploring and reading up on the world (thats why I hated Assassins Creed) but loved every second, doing side quests, exploring, reading the codex and speaking to people even spent ages being sloppy to the girl for some sweet loving.

Been speaking to some friends & its crazy the little differences they have had.

Anyway gonna defo go back and replay this. its my game of the year (so far) and now off to watch the bonus disc, downloadable content then read this thread.

Fusebox

Banned
Ugh, one more small niggle, at least let my mission objectives body hit the ground before throwing up the big MISSION COMPLETE, the way they do it is kind of jarring in the middle of combat.

Gary Whitta said:

Much respect to Bioware's writers for making all this work. It's impressive how the dynamic dialogs almost always feel organic, although as noted previously it is possible to engineer some pretty wacky exchanges, and if you alternate wildly between paragon/renegade responses Shepard comes across as a complete psycho. All part of the fun!

a while back i ripped apart San andreas for the xbox, and saints row for the 360 to demonstrate how a DVD would be sufficient for GTA 4.

i am doing it again with mass effect, and just looking at the numbers, i am amazed. the game has 468mb of pad files.

the music is the biggest single chunk at 238mb, the size of the audio for other stuff:

ashley: 38mb
kadian: 35mb
codex: 30mb
liara: 25mb
garrius: 12mb
wrex: 11mb
saren: 5mb

there is no single file for the main charachters speech. its quite possible it is in with each of the other characters files with only the conversation options for that charachter

There are also some really neat technical decisions, for example, the video
you get from the beacon that becomes clearer throughout the game is actually 16 individual movies that get pieced together at different rates as it gets "clearer" to your character

all in all, all the audio(as far as i can tell) is only about 1.1 gigs.

Mrbob

Weapon, armor, and accessory drops scale with your character level.

Once you get a higher level and spectre weapons, you outfit your crew with what they need and sell off the rest.

Mad money. I just made over 2 million credits on my last sell off. Have a bit over 3 million now, don't know what to do with the moneys. Save it for a rainy day?

U K Narayan said:
Noveria and the other planet where you pick Liara up are the shittiest story crucial places in the game.

Really? Personally I thought that Noveria is probably one of the thicker plot elements in the game.

Dark FaZe said:
Really? Personally I thought that Noveria is probably one of the thicker plot elements in the game.
Well, when you consider what goes down in Noveria - I suppose you're right.

Those two were the worst looking ones, though. Graphically, anyway. I did not find them appealing. Feros and
Ilos
, though? Those were grand.

Big-E

Mrbob said:
Mad money. I just made over 2 million credits on my last sell off. Have a bit over 3 million now, don't know what to do with the moneys. Save it for a rainy day?

Try to see what the max amount of money you can get in the game is.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
several hours in, just got command of the normandy and loving it so far, but...

the loading is HORRID. between the elevators and the scan getting onto the normandy, any backtracking to and from other areas is a terrible pain in the ass. also, the side quests are stupid dumb so far.

Gowans007 said:
As I write this the credits are rolling.
18 game hours (probably almost double that in real time)

What a game, I loved every minute of it (well except when I forgot to save rigorously).

Made some silly choices or some things got on top of me

Mainly both Wrex and the girl Solider died early doors on the first main planet I went to

I hardly every play games for that length or get so engrossed wandering exploring and reading up on the world (thats why I hated Assassins Creed) but loved every second, doing side quests, exploring, reading the codex and speaking to people even spent ages being sloppy to the girl for some sweet loving.

Been speaking to some friends & its crazy the little differences they have had.

Anyway gonna defo go back and replay this. its my game of the year (so far) and now off to watch the bonus disc, downloadable content then read this thread.

credits also rolling for me right now and my was it an awesome game only thing i would change would be the auto save because like you said it seemed like I was saving every couple of minutes lol

Gowans

Cap7ain Blood said:
credits also rolling for me right now and my was it an awesome game only thing i would change would be the auto save because like you said it seemed like I was saving every couple of minutes lol

yep so good but man the saves make you learn your lesson quick, I think I ended lvl 40 with around 80 saves.

the game should autosave after every single cut scene no matter its size, so annoying some times.

done with the bonus disc, now watching the DLC then off to skim through this thread from the start. (been avoiding for spoilers)

op_ivy said:
several hours in, just got command of the normandy and loving it so far, but...

the loading is HORRID. between the elevators and the scan getting onto the normandy, any backtracking to and from other areas is a terrible pain in the ass. also, the side quests are stupid dumb so far.

I actually thought the loading was OK. Not great, but acceptable. Well at least in comparison to playing Jade Empire through XBOX BC. My goodness...

mrmyth

I'm loving Bioware for one simple fact - ME is supposed to be an 70s/80s sci-fi game and they managed to put the BigTrak in it -

bigtrak%20n%20box.jpg

I knew something about the Mako kept itching my brain. I loved this toy as a kid.

Oh, and being a Renegade is so much fun.

Can someone tell me how you get the colossus armor for Tali. My brother is currently racking
his brain over how to get it. I swear hes traveling over the entire Milky way just find this thing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
BenzMoney said:
Whoa, wait a second! "Minutes"?! Seriously?! I've put 22 hours into this game so far, and I've yet to see a loading screen take any longer than maybe 20-30 seconds. If you're having several-minute-long loads then you might look into replacing your 360, because that's not normal.

Maybe it's just psychological, but those citadel elevators really feel like they take more than a minute... using the "trams" seem better, but not by much.

SIP YEK NOD said:
a while back i ripped apart San andreas for the xbox, and saints row for the 360 to demonstrate how a DVD would be sufficient for GTA 4.

i am doing it again with mass effect, and just looking at the numbers, i am amazed. the game has 468mb of pad files.

the music is the biggest single chunk at 238mb, the size of the audio for other stuff:

ashley: 38mb
kadian: 35mb
codex: 30mb
liara: 25mb
garrius: 12mb
wrex: 11mb
saren: 5mb

there is no single file for the main charachters speech. its quite possible it is in with each of the other characters files with only the conversation options for that charachter

There are also some really neat technical decisions, for example, the video
you get from the beacon that becomes clearer throughout the game is actually 16 individual movies that get pieced together at different rates as it gets "clearer" to your character

all in all, all the audio(as far as i can tell) is only about 1.1 gigs.

I don't think it's surprising. I imagine the dialog system is similar to the one that they've been using in Aurora engine with some sort of .tlk file calling all these compressed .wav files?
I also noticed that the videos were a bit low res at times, so I imagine those were a bit compressed as well.

traveler

Not Wario
A note on the visuals-

For Mass Effect 2 and 3, I hope Bioware focuses all their effort on crafting more unique structures and rooms and doesn't worry about improving the graphics themselves at all. If they could eliminate the repititiveness and fix the technical issues (texture pop-ins, loading times all over the place, and frame drops) I'd be perfectly happy, even without any jump in visuals whatsoever.

traveler said:
A note on the visuals-

For Mass Effect 2 and 3, I hope Bioware focuses all their effort on crafting more unique structures and rooms and doesn't worry about improving the graphics themselves at all. If they could eliminate the repititiveness and fix the technical issues (texture pop-ins, loading times all over the place, and frame drops) I'd be perfectly happy, even without any jump in visuals whatsoever.
Agreed.

Altough I had no major problem with ME's technical issues, I knew exactly what to expect in that term being a veteran bioware fan and all. :D

Thyrus

Credits rolling for me right now, damn what an simply awesome game! I truly enjoyed almost every single moment of this game, despite the technical naggels.

I just love this universe and the fact that humanity isn't some downtrodden struggeling flea in the galaxy, they're actually out there as a force to be reckoned with. The grin on my face during the fleet engagement at the end of the game was ear to ear! Just have to love that humanity kicks serious ass in a sci-fi universe.

Well off to replay it as a renegade!

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
mrmyth said:
I'm loving Bioware for one simple fact - ME is supposed to be an 70s/80s sci-fi game and they managed to put the BigTrak in it -

bigtrak%20n%20box.jpg

I knew something about the Mako kept itching my brain. I loved this toy as a kid.

OH SNAP!!! You are right!!! Awesome!! I loved that toy also...

firehawk12 said:
I don't think it's surprising. I imagine the dialog system is similar to the one that they've been using in Aurora engine with some sort of .tlk file calling all these compressed .wav files?
I also noticed that the videos were a bit low res at times, so I imagine those were a bit compressed as well.

the few videos there are are 720p bnk video 7200 kilobit per second

FrankT

Sir Fragula said:
I don't think Bioware could make content fast enough to sate my thirst for more of this game.

/Agree

About 15 hours in and Bioware has hit another home run. I know I will go 40 hours+ on my first run.

Naeblish

Don't know if this already came by, but i found a bug, and perhaps a usefull one. I completed the game a few days ago, and was starting a new character today. When you go to a shop and to the buyback menu, it still had all the items listed i sold as my high lvl char. I don't know if it worked because i didn't have the money to buy the stuff back, but could be handy to boost your low lvl char on hardcore/insane.

mrmyth said:

bigtrak%20n%20box.jpg

I have said toy, with matching trailer in the loft, sadly it has been broken since i was 8 (im now 24) it just sits up there gathering dust in the hope that one day I shall return it to its former glory. :-(

Its funny that it was the first thing I thought of when I saw the mako. If it truely is a refrence, it may explain why the mako is such a god awful thing to drive haha :D

Back to the game itself, its been a HELL of a long time since I have basically played straight through a game without playng anything else inbetween. Clocked in at 30hours for first completion at level 48 as an infiltrator. Im replaying it now being an assclown instead of the paragon I was first time through. It really is a superb game, yes it has a few "technical" issues here and there, but nothing bad enough to detract from the awesomeness.

Belgorim

I just finished my first run... took me about 51-52 hours or so (according to the save). Not sure on the exact time since credits are still rolling.

I think I did pretty much every quest there was, might have missed a few though, not sure, especially since I went all out Paragon and there might be some you can't do then, I don't know. I did also finish all collection quests.

Stats: I ended up with a level 49 Soldier
Or whatever the defensive sub-class was called. I was pretty much invulnerable at the end, don't think I died once in the second half of the game. I used Liara and Tali pretty much all the way through to get the skills I was lacking, and I also got the Quarian ally achievement (Pretty sure I couldnt get any achievement for Liara since I for some reason did Novaria before I picked her up). Had 9.999.999 (max) gold pretty much all through the end.I also got the Tactician achievement (complete playthrough with shield damage greater than health damage).

Impressions: I wasnt bothered by any technical issues until the very end, when there where more cut-scenes with a lot of things happening at once. Pretty bad pop-in at some points in those which bothered me at least a few times. Nothing game-breaking though. A+ for effort to the development team, very impressed with the game overall.
The main story was obviously shorter than kotor and I would have loved for it to be longer, at least I expect a sequel to be longer. The main story planets and quests are so much more fun and involving than pretty much all the sidequests combined. Some more interesting team mates wouldnt hurt either.

There is potential for something realy fucking epic in this universe bioware has created. I would rate the game an overall somewhere between 9-9.5 (out of 10), depending on how much weight you want to put on technincal issues and how your review scale is calibrated :)

The bar has been raised for any sequel.

Phthisis

Being a renegade to the council after story missions is fucking hilarious. After disconnecting the first time:

Council: Is this some game to you Shepard? Did you file a Council report just so you could disconnect the transmission again?
Shepard: You got it *disconnects*
Joker: That never gets old, does it?

:lol

I'm dying here.

orio7

Banned
WREX NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I've never been so thorn with a game as I am with Mass Effect. On one hand it's a complete mess (techwise) and I think it should never been released in the state it's in.. but on the other hand everything else is so mindblowingly incredible and amazing (well except the driving stuff) that I dunno what to think.

I hope the/a sequel will be saved for Xbox 720 or that Bioware gets a more tech savey team that can make it run like butter on 360 (and patch the first one if they do :p).

Also,
I was just about to kiss Liara but got interupted :( How close am I to lesbian action?

Synless

What do I do at this part????
So I'm at this part where I have to either destroy this race called the Rachni, what happens if I destroy it??? Or should I let it live? Do you get anything for doing either or?

yoopoo

Banned
Synless said:
What do I do at this part????
So I'm at this part where I have to either destroy this race called the Rachni, what happens if I destroy it??? Or should I let it live? Do you get anything for doing either or?
I let it live, got lotsa xp points.

Phthisis

Synless said:
What happens if you kill it? I haven't saved it in a long time so I want the best possible outcome.

One decision affects paragon points, and one affects renegade. It also might have a bearing on a side-quest you can get after that mission, but I'm not sure.

Synless

Phthisis said:
One decision affects paragon points, and one affects renegade. It also might have a bearing on a side-quest you can get after that mission, but I'm not sure.
lol, shit I'm just gonna let it live.
If there is a side quest I don't want it to fail because I wanted to be an ass and kill off a race.

Havok

Phthisis said:

No, it doesn't effect the
Listening Post Alpha/Theta rachni infestation missions
that unlock in the Maroon Sea right after Noveria, which I thought was a shame.

Just passed a million credits and bought the set of Spectre weapons.

Can't wait to try them out. Just finished up all my sidequests, now I can move onto Noveria.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Man I'm unhappy.

I've got only a few side quests left and the last mission. Was thinking of doing a 3-4 hour marathon tonight to finish the game. Get home early so this can happen.

I boot up the console and get the damned red rings. Holy crap. I hear the turnaround time can be weeks. Man, the timing could not have been worse. By the time I get the damn system back I will have lost interest in the game.

EDIT: Son of a bitch, just realized I passed the million credit mark last night too. Damn.

Haklong

Well, I just finished it. 40 Hours, A large number of the sidequest done and like 200 exp till level 50. The ending credits song was just amazing. I did not expect that, it came out of nowhere.

Synless

MaizeRage25 said:
Just passed a million credits and bought the set of Spectre weapons.

Can't wait to try them out. Just finished up all my sidequests, now I can move onto Noveria.
Where do you get the Spectre weapons from?

Synless said:
Where do you get the Spectre weapons from?

What jet1911 said. You have to get the 'Rich' achievement before they are unlocked.

It's really easy to get if you do a lot of sidequests early, just sell all the crap you don't need instead of turning it into omni-gel.

Synless

MaizeRage25 said:
What jet1911 said. You have to get the 'Rich' achievement before they are unlocked.
I need about 179,000 I'm thinking of pawning off everything. Do you get everything for 1,000,000?? or just a few pieces?

Top Bottom