• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Blackace said:
Ah I thought it was a 2nd party type of deal.. sucks for MS.. :lol

which should explain part of the moaning and bitching that happened with that news, i am still upset about it. Well if worst comes to worst ill have ME to play.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Lostconfused said:
which should explain part of the moaning and bitching that happened with that news, i am still upset about it. Well if worst comes to worst ill have ME to play.
I pretty much media blacked out all ME news for the last couple of months. I am really glad I did

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Zen said:
Well Microsoft has a decent amount of money, so chances are that they will keep Mass Effect Exclusive.

EA isn't exactly in need of money... But I hope so. If they can turn around and repackage one for PS3 then there is little hope that MS can keep it. If ME1 is stuck as a 360 title it makes sense to finish it out as one...

Blackace said:
EA isn't exactly in need of money... But I hope so. If they can turn around and repackage one for PS3 then there is little hope that MS can keep it. If ME1 is stuck as a 360 title it makes sense to finish it out as one...

I have the feeling that if it sells to MS expectations (they have stated 1 million through the holidays) that they will come to a similar agreement as they have with 2K for Bioshock.

As you said the fanbase for the first game will all be on the 360, and given how the PS3 has been performing and the technical trouble with moving projects from 360 -> PS3 will likely make EA receptive to some money hatting.

But if its just a solid but not spectacular seller, well who knows.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Mr. Bunnies said:
ME2 needs to require a Hard drive.

If this would eliminate the texture fill problems, I 100% support this statement, any idiot who bought a 360 without a hard drive is most likely NOT playing this game.

AniHawk

So I found Liara, but I wasn't really looking for her. Thought I'd triggered an awesome sidequest or something.

Now with the Matriarch gone and Liara found, how far am I from the end of the game? Game clock says 11 hours.

Overall I'm enjoying this one a lot. Doesn't quite have the charm KOTOR had (I think some of the voices come across a bit flat), but it's certainly leaps and bounds a better game than Jade Empire.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
AniHawk said:
So I found Liara, but I wasn't really looking for her. Thought I'd triggered an awesome sidequest or something.

Now with the Matriarch gone and Liara found, how far am I from the end of the game? Game clock says 11 hours.

Overall I'm enjoying this one a lot. Doesn't quite have the charm KOTOR had (I think some of the voices come across a bit flat), but it's certainly leaps and bounds a better game than Jade Empire.

Hard to say how far you have to go without knowing how many of the first 3 'missions' you've done, but if you're not rushing straight through the story I'd say you've got at least another 9-10 hours.

I agree on the lack of charm, I think like you say what it really lacks are the characters...hard to believe theres no HK-47 equivalent character in the game, or any comic relief at all. Would have been hilarious to perform some massive renegade action then have HK chime in with "Statement: Fine shot Shepard, For a brief moment I could see through the hole you created in his skull".

elithrar

Blackace said:

EA hasn't been doing that well at all lately - a lot of their games have bombed. Expected really, with the huge number of inane sequels they push out.

Hunahan

Banned
Bioware's Xbox games seem to have this nasty reoccurring trend of constantly feeling like they were designed to be run on some mythological hardware that is far more powerful than the machine you're currently playing them on.

Back in the Xbox1 days, I usually just attributed this to the fact that they were coming from a PC background, but now I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that their programmers just aren't very good. May sound harsh, but it only seems to have gotten worse this time around. They've had plenty of time and plenty of resources, there's really not anything left to blame.

Sorry.

As for the game itself, I'm still very early, but it's pretty difficult not to see it as disappointing overall. It's certainly not a terrible game, it's just not a terribly big leap forward from their previous efforts, and at the end of the day, gives the impression of constantly chasing after KOTOR's previous glory while never quite catching up, and that just isn't the optimal place for them to be at this stage.

The combat's pretty lame, the conversation just feels retread, and the story's just not quite as captivating as it should be.

I'm really hoping it picks up at some point, but I'm not going to be holding my breath....

Sorry to be so negative.

AniHawk

Ghost said:
I agree on the lack of charm, I think like you say what it really lacks are the characters...hard to believe theres no HK-47 equivalent character in the game, or any comic relief at all. Would have been hilarious to perform some massive renegade action then have HK chime in with "Statement: Fine shot Shepard, For a brief moment I could see through the hole you created in his skull".

Well I do like Joker. Wrex is good too (good VA and lines). But even in KOTOR the crappy male guy (Carth) had something you could find to hate. I can't really find something about Kaidan that bugs me just because he's so uninteresting.

In KOTOR, you're given plenty of opportunities to speak with your crew. So far I've really only been able to get to know them on the Normandy. Shepard just sounds so neutral all the time, too. I think I would've preferred another silent character. But I'm the sorta guy who likes that Gordon Freeman is silent too.

Still, it's loads better than Jade Empire, like I said. At this point in Jade Empire, I'd finished the game.

Wowowow. So I finished ME two nights ago as an adept, restarted with an unlocked ability on a new character, a soldier, and now I'm 14 hours in a second time. I am in love.

And what's awesome? Despite having beaten the game once, I just now discovered the Sol galaxy. Here it is I think I've seen most of what ME has to offer and then, "BAM!" There's the moon, Earth, and the Milky Way. Not sure how I overlooked it before but I did! :lol

Even more awesome? Class specialization. Like with Sol, I had no idea about that until two hours ago when my soldier became a commando. I'm glad I put myself in a ME media blackout until buying the game. Stumbling onto stuff like this is really fun. :D

Few random thoughts:

-Jennifer Hale>Whoever voices the male Shepard. He sounds so generic.

-That asari secretary for the Consort on the Citadel is hot and bubbles personality. What's her name, Neyla? In the few lines she had she caught my attention. Why the hell couldn't she be on my crew instead of the comparitively boring, dull, and annoying Liara? In fact, every other asari in the game exudes way more personality than her.

-Wrex is badass. Yes. His armor helmets also look pretty darn cool.

-I don't think I've enjoyed combat this much in any other RPG. I absolutely love the gunfights in this game and wish there were more. More more more.

AniHawk said:
Female Shepard is Jennifer Hale? No wonder it sounded so familiar.

Yes, when I heard that I immediately regretted not making a female Shepard. I'm a big fan of Jennifer Hale (especially in KOTOR and Tales of Symphonia), and male Shepard's voice actor is just boring.

Got a question for those who have created 2 characters. I started out with a male character and just last night created a new female character. At first glance my saved files for my male charcter are gone when I checked Load game and resume. Did I just screw myself?

BrokenSymmetry said:
Yes, when I heard that I immediately regretted not making a female Shepard. I'm a big fan of Jennifer Hale (especially in KOTOR and Tales of Symphonia), and male Shepard's voice actor is just boring.

Extremely boring. There is a stark contrast between how Hale voices Shepard and the male actor they picked. The vast majority of NPCs even sound more convincing in their roles.

elithrar

Save games are character-specific - if you look to the top left of the screen when in the Save/Load screens, you'll see it has your character name.

Toonami 99 said:
Got a question for those who have created 2 characters. I started out with a male character and just last night created a new female character. At first glance my saved files for my male charcter are gone when I checked Load game and resume. Did I just screw myself?

Nah, you're cool. Look for the option to switch careers. I believe it's "Y".

elithrar

Hunahan said:
Back in the Xbox1 days, I usually just attributed this to the fact that they were coming from a PC background, but now I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that their programmers just aren't very good. May sound harsh, but it only seems to have gotten worse this time around. They've had plenty of time and plenty of resources, there's really not anything left to blame.

Nearly all of the technical issues - as in, the texture pop-up and frame-rate issues - are UE3-related. Which is frustrating, because there really isn't a whole lot BioWare could do. Disk caching was sorely needed but unlikely to happen with the dev-time & with a first-party publisher.

So DLC: has anything been said specifically about what they want to do? are we to see a few planets here and there along the lines of whats already there or epsisodes and the like to lead on to the next game? is an expansion pack out of the question?

elithrar

Ezenzer said:
-Jennifer Hale>Whoever voices the male Shepard. He sounds so generic.

Very true. She has this rough edge to her too, as she should, which makes the voice acting & dialogue all the more engaging.

-I don't think I've enjoyed combat this much in any other RPG. I absolutely love the gunfights in this game and wish there were more. More more more.

The combat definitely becomes a better experience as you progress through the game - I'm replaying it on New Game+ (under Hardcore) with my 47th level Vanguard. Pushing faster through the story this time as I've already experienced most of it on this character, but it's still fun and the combat is definitely challenging, even with a full suit of Spectre gear.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Let's not start singing ME MP, let's see what MS did about that. It's not like MS didn't knew the EA thing was going to happen, so i have a hard time believing that MS would go to great lenghts to create a franchise only to have the sequels appear on the Ps3.

Gattsu25

Banned
Dammit.. My male character is on the path to make asari love children.

That means I'll be having blue skinned kids for my first two playthroughs. If I knew lesbians couldn't be of the same species, I would have planned my first playthrough better

Lostconfused said:
They really need to change the way Liara behaves the next game or at least your asari party member. Because lets be honest it gets annoying when she spends the whole game yelling "no we are not the the whores of space!" or something similar like that.

Ashley already has the title of space whore. Liara is going to have work a little harder than that is she wants to out slut her.

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Ashley already has the title of space whore. Liara is going to have work a little harder than that is she wants to out slut her.

And don't you just hate the preachy ones? The fucking Lyla Garrity of the 2160's

Gattsu25

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
And don't you just hate the preachy ones? The fucking Lyla Garrity of the 2160's
I'm actually more surprised at the hate she receives, here, because of her beliefs.

Regardless, Liara needs to stop calling her god a 'goddess'. If their species has no race, why would they call their deity a female?

Hunahan

Banned
elithrar said:
Nearly all of the technical issues - as in, the texture pop-up and frame-rate issues - are UE3-related. Which is frustrating, because there really isn't a whole lot BioWare could do. Disk caching was sorely needed but unlikely to happen with the dev-time & with a first-party publisher.

Sorry, I'm not willing to let them off the hook so easily. I've gotten my character stuck on inanimate objects three separate times now that have frozen the game to the point where I've needed to cold-load. Even without the hiccups, this game is buggy and flawed.

I'm also not willing to just write them a blank check on the framerate/tearing issues, because I've seen too many UE3 games that don't have nearly this level of problem to purely blame the engine.

The pop-in is obviously a caching issue, but it could have been solved with a little bit more pre-loading. They're throwing the scenes up too fast for the game to handle, and it's a strange decision to say the least, considering the amount and frequency of occurrence.

I'm fine with someone saying that they aren't that bothered by these things, but I'm really not willing to extend the fact that Bioware's technical quality control is up to par after three straight games of these problems....that's just me, though.

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
I kinda like that Ashley is a God Warrior AND a complete penis addict. It reminds me of all the confused girls I was with in parochial school.

It's a nice touch of the topical, along with that sad/creepy Euthanasia side-quest.

Gattsu25 said:
Regardless, Liara needs to stop calling her god a 'goddess'. If their species has no race, why would they call their deity a female?
Asari aren't asexual. They're kinda monosexual. Liara mentions something to that effect when the ask Ash about women in the military and sexual discrimination in dual sexed societies. Also, note the breasts and womb.

GilloD

Banned
Speaking of game women: BONING THE CONSORT was boring. And then afterwards she was all, "Oh, hey, I'm really busy, don't come back because I'll be busy okay".

Is it possible to nail Tali? It'd be great if that visor popped up AND IT WAS A DUDE. Anyway, fun game. I'm playing too much of it, but I can't help myself. I love this vision of space as a cold, vast place where danger lurks around every corner.

Where does Ashley hang out on the ship? I try to do the romance subplots, but I can't find her.

Anyway, after playing
Ferros
this game has just blown my mind graphically, and artisticly. The atmosphere and sense of scale on that planet is just amazing. Driving across the skyway is just amazing.

WOW

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ashley is in the engineering deck near the lockers.

I don't blame BioWare completely for the technical issues. After playing Uncharted, I think it's clear the big limiting factor here is the 360. The fact that they can't install anything to the hard drive kind of forces them to load everything on the fly and into memory. Thank god it has 512 megs of RAM or the game would be even worse with the load screens.

Gattsu25

Banned
_dementia said:
Asari aren't asexual. They're kinda monosexual. Liara mentions something to that effect when the ask Ash about women in the military and sexual discrimination in dual sexed societies. Also, note the breasts and womb.
makes sense (and I do remember that conversation), but doesn't that go against what was stated in the book?

I had a horrible typo in that quote :(
firehawk12 said:
End your post at this point.

newsguy

firehawk12 said:

I don't blame BioWare completely for the technical issues. After playing Uncharted, I think it's clear the big limiting factor here is the 360.

Really, so there was no screen tear or texture pop in for Uncharted? We must have played a different version of Uncharted, you and I. Also, I would say ME is just a tad more ambitious wouldn't you?

elithrar

Gattsu25 said:
I'm actually more surprised at the hate she receives, here, because of her beliefs.

Agreed! I actually thought that, despite being almost 200 years ahead with alien technology at humanity's side, that Ashley still believing in God was an endearing fact about her personality. It was different, which is why despite her xenophobia and promiscuity I liked the character.

Mrbob

I got my spectre weaponry now. :bow

I saved some salarians before, and they were in my ship temporarily. One was a shopkeeper that had some SWEET, SWEET heavy armor for sale which destroyed anything I had. I went on the citadel to to see if i could find something better and could not. When I came back the salarian group was gone! :( Anyone know where they went? This was right after the mission on Vilmore.

They mention that they will get off the next time you dock somewhere, odd I never found the Salarians to have anything good, I think a medi-gel upgrade was the only thing I bought off him.

I wish there was Spectre armour, I had Collosus IX (medium, as I was and am an Infiltrator, so medium is my limit (2nd play through as I hit 50)) armour at the end, which had good stats, yet I really didn't like how it looked. I think I can get Spectre X weapons when I get to the Citadel this time, which will be interesting as the Spectre VII ones destroyed everything else I found.

Money pretty much becomes useless after you get the "Rich" Achievement and buy all the Spectre weapons, it would have been nice to have more things to purchase. Maybe if the Mako was still upgradeable as rumoured before release.

21 hours in and I've only done Noveria, Feros and the other one where you rescue the scientist.

Spectre weapons are making the side missions a lot of fun.

Top Bottom