• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Synless said:
I need about 179,000 I'm thinking of pawning off everything. Do you get everything for 1,000,000?? or just a few pieces?

I didn't bother getting the sniper, since none of my teammates can use it but I believe you can get everything for under 1 mil.

Synless said:
I need about 179,000 I'm thinking of pawning off everything. Do you get everything for 1,000,000?? or just a few pieces?

It unlocks access to the Spectre stuff, but you still need to level to around 50 or so before the level X stuff appears.

Got a question: I just completed the sidequest with the Asari women's sister, and she said I have access to Asari weapon mods. Anyone know what those are?

MaizeRage25 said:
Got a question: I just completed the sidequest with the Asari women's sister, and she said I have access to Asari weapon mods. Anyone know what those are?

I've never seen anything of worth come from that quest.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Just finished the game:

Level 49 Male Vanguard with Paragon maxed out.

Pretty much all the sidequests done.

39 hours but probably closer to 30-32 hours due to me leaving the game on pause for periods at a time.

Good:

+ Excellent art direction
+ Involving story
+ Good voice work
+ On open terrain combat is fast and fun
+ Game makes you feel you truly have a massive impact on the fate of the universe through your actions
+ Most of the characters were likable
+ Beautiful music (although the song playing through the credits feels like a Nightingale rip-off)
+ Great range of powers
+ Levelling up and getting good loot is addictive

Bad:

- Despite the story being enjoyable it is very derivative, mainly copying The Night's Dawn Trilogy of books by Peter F Hamilton
- Needed a few more memorable characters
- Bugs, glitches and slow elevators really take you out of the experience
- Inventory management is a complex and turgid affair
- Too little enemy variety
- Not enough story-line planets
- Side quests, whilst enjoyable on the whole, would all too often boil down to visiting boring, barren planets that were all the same with few surprises in regards to what happened to the characters involved
- The game as a whole felt rushed so as to cash in on the Holiday season

A good game that could've been great had it been given an extra 3-6 months to fix up the aforementioned complaints.

Still, I'm eagerly anticipating the next game and whatever DLC is in store.

orio7

Banned
I'm sad it's over. :(

I wanted to continue playing after you finish it but I guess that would be weird given the ending.

Hopefully you'll be able to use your character in the sequels. Anything else would be awful.

Is there only that one lesbian encounter, by the way? I need a reason to start over. ;)

These are the relationships you can have in the game :

Female Shepard : Consort; Liara, Kaiden

Male Shepard : Consort, Liara, Ashley

So, I suppose this counts as two "Lesbian encounters".

MaizeRage25 said:

If you go to a merchant they'll show you their "rare stock". I don't even remember what that consisted of.

I choose an adept for my 2nd playthrough which means i have to make another charcater a tech guy to finish up the rest of the achievements. hopefully hardcore wont be to bad with a new character....

Oh, and i was planning on using my level 50 solder on my insanity level playthrough. Will i be able to make it to 60 in that playthrough?

For anyone who has finished the game multiple times...

Is it possible to talk Sarin out of the final battle? At the end you can intimidate/charm but my skill was too low? What happens if you pick one of these options?

Big-E

IronicallyTwisted said:
For anyone who has finished the game multiple times...

Is it possible to talk Sarin out of the final battle? At the end you can intimidate/charm but my skill was too low? What happens if you pick one of these options?

If you have paragon he shoots himself in the head beacuse a part of him is still left in control and doesn't want to be sovereign's slave. You do have to fight the reanimated mechanical version though.

Ventrue

Liara T'Soni said:
These are the relationships you can have in the game :

Female Shepard : Consort; Liara, Kaiden

Male Shepard : Consort, Liara, Ashley

So, I suppose this counts as two "Lesbian encounters".

Um, what? Doesn't the Consort just give you advice and touch your face a bit? She doesn't seem to really be a prostitute.

Phthisis

Big-E said:
If you have paragon he shoots himself in the head beacuse a part of him is still left in control and doesn't want to be sovereign's slave. You do have to fight the reanimated mechanical version though.

Which was extremely weak as far as plot exposition goes. I really wish I hadn't done that my first time through.

Um, what? Doesn't the Consort just give you advice and touch your face a bit? She doesn't seem to really be a prostitute.

Give her renegade answers after completing her quest to get laid.

Big-E

Phthisis said:
Which was extremely weak as far as plot exposition goes. I really wish I hadn't done that my first time through.

Agreed. I felt most of the Renegade and Paragon dialog was pretty retarded throughout the entire game.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Big-E said:

The same thing occurs with the intimidate option.

Ventrue said:

She gives you that trinket and that little bit of advice at first. But if you use the renegade option, Shepard says something like "Thats it? Well...umm...thanks I guess", she notices that you're displeased, tells you to close your eyes...and well, encounter number 1.

mandiller

My game gets a disc unreadable error every time I access the galaxy map now *cries*

There's a tiny tiny scratch on the disc, not that big though. Damn 360 eating my discs. Who do I see to complain about it?

Ok, finished my second run on Hardcore. It was damned easy. My soldier Shephard is indestructible. Even when my shields fail, I just stand there in the open eating every bullet that comes my way. Thank you, Colossus X armor.

Right now, I'm level 59. However, level 60 is still about 180k XP away. Ouch. :lol

Also, I want to say one thing about the ending.

The smile Shephard has on when he emerges from the wreckage is the most badass thing ever. It's so simple but expresses so very much. So satisfying.

P.S. The ally achievements are seriously borked.

NJ Shlice

What is the best Armor? Where do you get it?

I just finished first playthrough and I have a high Predator armor that's awesome.

I came across the armor from the Box Cover and it sucked. Is there a better version of it out there?

Are there better weapons than the Spectre Weapons? Is the best armor a Spectre Suit ??

NJ x Falkor said:
What is the best Armor? Where do you get it?

I just finished first playthrough and I have a high Predator armor that's awesome.

I came across the armor from the Box Cover and it sucked. Is there a better version of it out there?

Are there better weapons than the Spectre Weapons? Is the best armor a Spectre Suit ??

The best armor is the Colossus X Heavy. I don't have it, but the medium variant, which I have, provides 74 DMG protection 350ish shield and 30 or so biotic protection. I can only imagine what the Heavy one offers. It's an extremely rare drop. Also, if you buy a Kassa license, it sometimes (I've never seen one personally) appears at the shop in your ship.

NJ Shlice

Vyse The Legend said:
The best armor is the Colossus X Heavy. I don't have it, but the medium variant, which I have, provides 74 DMG protection 350ish shield and 30 or so biotic protection. I can only imagine what the Heavy one offers. It's an extremely rare drop. Also, if you buy a Kassa license, it sometimes (I've never seen one personally) appears at the shop in your ship.

Damn, I usually throw out Medium Armors without even looking. I hope I didn't accidentally throw out the Colossus Medium.

Feint331

my adept has the colossus x llight. i can pretty much always keep barrier up constantly . haven't played a soldier yet but my adept can take a full blast from a rocket and walk away with half health. can only imagine a soldier with immunity on. only thing that can one hit me is geth colossus.

NJ Shlice

I played Normal on my first playthrough but it was super easy. I think I died once or twice on the last 2 levels. Including Bosses. I'm level 46 Soldier.

What difficulty should I play on my next playthrough. I'm keeping my same soldier and going for achievements and more side quests??

orio7

Banned
Is there any way to lock on targets? The framerate makes it very hard to aim. During the last boss fight I hardly got a hit and my squad did most of the work.

NJ Shlice

orio7 said:
Is there any way to lock on targets? The framerate makes it very hard to aim. During the last boss fight I hardly got a hit and my squad did most of the work.

Not that I know of.

I'm not saying that you're complaining, but there are so many people bitching about the framerate it pisses me off.

Yes the framerate is bad sometimes and it gets very choppy at some points, but the game is so amazing I feel that I'd be doing it a disservice to bitch about the framerate.

Man I wish I would not have been turning the weapons and armor I didn't want into omni-gel. Yesterday, I was complaining about not being even close to having a million credits but after saving up all the stuff I gathered for a while and selling it, I'm real close. I'm at level 25 and went from $75,000 to $750,000 in about 2 minutes after selling off all my crap. Hopefully I'll be able to get the spectre weapons tonight.

NJ Shlice

CriscoDisco said:
Man I wish I would not have been turning the weapons and armor I didn't want into omni-gel. Yesterday, I was complaining about not being even close to having a million credits but after saving up all the stuff I gathered for a while and selling it, I'm real close. I'm at level 25 and went from $75,000 to $750,000 in about 2 minutes after selling off all my crap. Hopefully I'll be able to get the spectre weapons tonight.

Money starts pouring in like crazy. The Survey $ amounts go up to like $28,800 just for surveying a pile of mineral on a planet.

I finished the main plot yesterday with $5,000,000.

ckohler

Any idea which vendor gives you the most money? I too have been gellin' all of my excess equipment but now I'm going to start selling it so I can get the 1 million credit achievement.

NJ, are you saying it's uncessisary to sell stuff? I'm level 22 (I think) but I've still only got like 200,000 credits.

boco77

Banned
I'm enjoying this game especially the compelling story and dialogue. Theres a few niggles I have with it though.

1. The combat is a bit wonky. Most of the time its pretty chaotic and you dont know whose getting you from what direction resulting in deaths. The AI for the team members is crap unless you do auto use skills in options. If you're a solider you wanna play it like Gears of Wars as you have no choice to use biotics and if you play like that you get your ass kicked.

2. Why are most planets you look at unexplorable? They were saying dozens upon dozens of planets in the preview but its come down to like one planet in each system that you can actually do anything on. Scanning doesn't count. Unless theres side quests for these empty planets later?

3. The slowdown in combat can definately detract from the gameplay as your aiming goes off from the 5fps it goes to. The engine doesnt look like the UT engine more like the KOTOR engine enhanced lol.

4. The user interface when you press start is a bit shit. I just wanna look at my items and compare their stats etc but I gotta equip or dequip one each time. Why cant i just browse them?

5. Exploring planets can get boring in the Mako. Is there a way to show EVERYTHING on the map without you having to explore barren desolate wastelands with nothing on them except minerals? because that gets boring fast. I just wanna seek, search or destroy. My idea of fun is not going through empty barren places that have nothing on there.

Apart from that its a great game.

NJ Shlice

ckohler said:
Any idea which vendor gives you the most money? I too have been gellin' all of my excess equipment but now I'm going to start selling it so I can get the 1 million credit achievement.

NJ, are you saying it's uncessisary to sell stuff? I'm level 22 (I think) but I've still only got like 200,000 credits.

I found that most of them gave me the same amount. Do Not Worry about money. 90% of the best stuff is found by just exploring other planets and doing side Assignments. The only things I BOUGHT were Spectre Weapons. (Which really aren't that much better than other weapons I've found on other planets.)

arhra

Witchfinder General said:
If you've read the books you'd agree.
I've read the entire trilogy, multiple times (he's one of my favourite recent sf authors), and i agree with the "umm, what?" comment. In fact, i can barely see any similarities at all (beyond basic SF staples like the existence of humans and aliens, and FTL travel...). Unless there's a secret sidequest that reveals a subplot involving the reincarnation of human souls from purgatory who then attempt to take over the galaxy, anyway.

I'd be far more inclined to point to similarities with David Brin's Uplift saga (humanity as a newcomer to an established multi-species galactic civilization; it's even mentioned briefly that the Krogan were 'uplifted' by the Salarians, which i thought was a nice nod to an obvious influence), along with Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space series (ancient machine race periodically wiping out advanced civilizations; although the concept was hardly original when he wrote about it).

Overall i'd say they've done an excellent job of creating their own, reasonably unique SF universe, though. Most of the elements have been done before in SF literature (the same could be said for most SF stories, though; truly original ideas are few and far between), but it's a fantastically well-executed combination.

NJ Shlice

ckohler said:

Well you are going to have to get rid of your stuff so A.) you can be organized. B.) You have 150 item limit.

So go to a shop, sell all of the stuff that you don't need that gives you a good amount of money and then omni-gel the rest.

I would sell everything that would sell for over $15,000 at first, then $30,000 later in the game. I would omni-gel anything that I couldn't sell for at least those amounts.

However, when you get up to around 300 or so Omni-Gel, then you really don't need much more so you can sell EVERYTHING after that point.

NJ Shlice

boco77 said:
I'm enjoying this game especially the compelling story and dialogue. Theres a few niggles I have with it though.

4. The user interface when you press start is a bit shit. I just wanna look at my items and compare their stats etc but I gotta equip or dequip one each time. Why cant i just browse them?

You can just browse them. Use your Right Stick.

I didn't get bored of driving around the planets in the Mako, I did get bored with the same exact base on each planet though.

Uncle

What does the green health indicator mean? Poisoning?

boco77 said:
If you're a solider you wanna play it like Gears of Wars as you have no choice to use biotics and if you play like that you get your ass kicked.

I'm using my allies biotics/tech skills all the time and I'm soldier. Am I doing it wrong?

Uncle said:
What does the green health indicator mean? Poisoning?

I'm using my allies biotics/tech skills all the time and I'm soldier. Am I doing it wrong?
Nope. This is what I did, and everything worked fine.

Hell. It wasn't bad without them, either.

pringles

Liara T'Soni said:
She gives you that trinket and that little bit of advice at first. But if you use the renegade option, Shepard says something like "Thats it? Well...umm...thanks I guess", she notices that you're displeased, tells you to close your eyes...and well, encounter number 1.
I didn't get any "trinket" from her :( What did I do wrong?

Uncle

CriscoDisco said:
My health bar has been green since I finished Feros a few hours ago. No clue what that means either but it won't change back to red.

Yeah, the creeps keep doing it to me too, but it goes away after my health regenerates.

Quick question..

I chose Noveria first and I am at the Matriarch at level 14

It is obviously very tough. Should I keep trying or should I leave and go somewhere else?
Is there a good order to do things?

DeadGzuz

Banned
I'm a few hours in and have a few observations.

V-sync is on, right? Rather than tearing it seems we have jumping frame rate. Sometimes I'm pointing one way and then my guy does a mini-teleport and is pointing a new direction. I went from playing R&C at 60fps to ME and the difference is jarring. I'm not sure I like the GRAW like combat, I was hoping for something a little more strategic like KOTOR. Is everyone dumbing down their games these days, it started with Bioshock.

Overall I like the story, even if it feels like they took KOTOR and stripped out the Star Wars IP. The voice acting is good, and the graphics are good most of the time, but inconsistent and choppy.

Gattsu25

Banned
Beat the game last night

Anderson is now on the council, the existing council was saved from utter destruction, I talked Saren into suicide, I now have blue children, Kaiden died a hero, Wrex understood that limited krogan numbers are better than mass enslaved krogans, Ambassador Udin got knocked the fuck out and demoted...but still lives (dammit), and Ashley is craving the cock but won't make any moves since it's still got blue slime on it

Great game, will be playing it again on my current character...going even more paragon but with a constant party of
Wrex and Taili
(spelling?)

Top Bottom