• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Havok said:
It takes more than one playthrough to get from 50-60 (the XP gap from 59-60 alone is nearly 200k.). You might be able to get by with a story-only Normal playthrough along with your nearly-complete Insanity run, but I'm not sure.
Dam. It would be great if beating the game at least twice unlocked the ability to change your ability points with a character so that i didnt have to playthrough 2 other characters to experience and get everything.

Wow, Insanity sounds like too much of a chore. I might try hardcore as a soldier though, but since I am changing my class I start from level 1. Hmmm...I will have to ponder this some more.

Does anyone know if the 'Use XX power 75 times" achievement is cumulative over multiple playthroughs with the same character?

That is, if I use lift 50 times in my first play-through, and then use it 25 more times in my second new game+ run-through, will I get the achievement?

Zzoram

MaizeRage25 said:
Does anyone know if the 'Use XX power 75 times" achievement is cumulative over multiple playthroughs with the same character?

That is, if I use lift 50 times in my first play-through, and then use it 25 more times in my second new game+ run-through, will I get the achievement?

I'm not sure, but the kill count seem to carry over to any character under your gamertag, so I bet it does carry over.

MaizeRage25 said:

yes, I got the first aid achievement that way, unless I somehow managed to use that many medi packs on eden prime on my second playthrough

Quagm1r3 said:
Just out of curiosity, what happens if you fill up the paragon/renegade meters?

Achievements.

I actually don't know, but I have just recently maxed out my Paragon track (with the search monkey bug). I don't think it affects your response options, as that is more determined by charm/intimidate, but I'm not really sure either way.

AniHawk

Man I just spent about 3 hours exploring the galaxy and I'm having a blast. I progressed the story a bit too, and I think Virmire is my favorite planet as far as the choices you have to make go. I was surprised. I'm still about 5-6 hours from endgame without doing anymore sidequests, but I enjoy the exploration so it'll prolly take a little longer. Then I'll probably do a quick run as a female Renegade before finally starting on SMG.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
MaizeRage25 said:
Achievements.

I actually don't know, but I have just recently maxed out my Paragon track (with the search monkey bug). I don't think it affects your response options, as that is more determined by charm/intimidate, but I'm not really sure either way.

Filling up the Paragon/Renegade bar also opens up the locked charm/intimidate squares.

zombi

Gamer @ Heart said:
Anyone dissapointed in the amount of total content in the game?
Ya, I was. Honestly the first time you look at the galaxy map, its a amazing, until you realize you can only visit a few planets, and unless theyre main plot related theres nothing to do on them. It would be cool, and absolutely perfect for it, if bioware added the ability to land and explore some of those planets through dlc.

zombi said:
Ya, I was. Honestly the first time you look at the galaxy map, its a amazing, until you realize you can only visit a few planets, and unless theyre main plot related theres nothing to do on them. It would be cool, and absolutely perfect for it, if bioware added the ability to land and explore some of those planets through dlc.
Yep. The only difference between any side quests out side of main story planets are what repeated set of rooms your in, and the dialouge at the end. KOTOR felt bigger.

Ironballs

Gamer @ Heart said:
Yep. The only difference between any side quests out side of main story planets are what repeated set of rooms your in, and the dialouge at the end. KOTOR felt bigger.

I'm pretty sure it was. Both of my KOTOR playthroughs were around 50 hours. ME was closer to 30, with just about every sidequest finished.

Its still my favorite 360 game so far.

We'll call this my open letter to Bioware, as to what they should do for the sequel:

better side planets- I appreciate the large number of backwater planets to explore, and I think they should remain in some form. But I'd give two dozen of them for one place with some sort of town/culture/LIFE to it. People to talk to. Things to do. If it means that the game has some non-voiced dialog in it, I can put up with that. On the same note, please don't sacrifice scope in order to fit the game on one DVD, because thats what I think you did in the first place. Sure, you've got plenty of real estate in the game, but there is a very narrow track upon which to find any person-to-person interaction, and I think its because you could only fit so much dialog on the disk. The most prominent feature of your game is interestingly the one that has limited it the most.

tighten up the combat- hire some people from the outside with experience in tactical shooters. Yes, I know its an RPG, but there is no reason why you cant make it as tight and fun as say, R6:Vegas, and keep all of the RPG elements that are already there.

fix the inventory system- needs no explanation

give us back the features you took away- the ability to pause the game and position your squad, like in those early vids, is something we all want. I'm sure you probably begrudgingly cut it to meet a deadline or budget, so now is the time.

space skirmishes- head asplode

btw, love the game :D

Can someone explain this "pick a bonus skill" thing to me?

I beat the game earlier, and have started another one, and I haven't ran across anything like that.

Do I have to use weapons I'm not trained in to get this?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Liara T'Soni said:
Can someone explain this "pick a bonus skill" thing to me?

I beat the game earlier, and have started another one, and I haven't ran across anything like that.

Do I have to use weapons I'm not trained in to get this?

It's all based on achievements. Get the assault rifle achievement and any future character can pick assault rifles as their bonus skill. Same holds true for all the weapon/biotic achievements.

chico

wow!!! finished the game last night and despite some flaws, which im sure they will fix in ME2 ,the game is a masterpiece of storytelling and atmosphere.... couldnt stop playing.

And it was much more fun, when i checked the "use offensive abilities" automatically for my crew in the options. was too much pausing in the fights before...

Sinatar said:
It's all based on achievements. Get the assault rifle achievement and any future character can pick assault rifles as their bonus skill. Same holds true for all the weapon/biotic achievements.

I see...so, if I just start using my assault rifle, and get the 150 kills, I would be able to use assault Rifle on my insane run?

Damn, thats gonna be tough as shit on HC....I can barely do anything with it. Maybe I'll pass on this, and just experience the different weapons and such when I start a new character.

Tiktaalik

I just got the game, played up to getting to the citadel. Wow the game REALLY seems to open up here. I've already spent a ton of time just wandering around talking with people. A lot of these conversations seem like they'll lead to future missions.

The conversations are so compelling. They're awesome. As usual with these sort of games I'm too nice and I never want to do the rebel option, but perhaps I can train myself to. I find that I do the positive one most of the time.

Complaints so far:

1) Can't change your appearance after the avatar create screen
This makes some sense, but the only problem is that it's hard to tell what you'll look like in the avatar create screen. For example, the lighting in the real game makes my avatar look a lot paler than he looked in the avatar create screen. Maybe in Mass Effect 2 they should make a sample conversation screen or something so you can see what you'll look like more accurately.

2) Inventory screen seems like crap
This screen seems pretty awesome for equiping items, but I really want just a basic list of all my items. I've got to look through the manual again because I'm hoping I've missed out on this feature. I've already found that I get items and then I have no idea where to find them. They're hidden away as an ammo upgrade or something random.

Feint331

just finished insanity and im still only lvl 58. i don't think i got the patience to grind to 60... think i'll go make a vanguard with sniper rifle or infiltrator with shotgun :D

FFChris

Vyse The Legend said:
I disagree. I turned it off immediately. It makes the game look a lot more unimpressive.

That's what I did when I started playing, but I turned it back on yesterday and the thing has really grown on me. As someone said earlier in the thread, it makes it look a lot less video-gamey.

xbhaskarx

Whoa, I just got to the
T-Rex skull on Maji (Vamshi System in the Armstrong Nebula), brought from another world. If Turok does well maybe ME2 will have dinos!
:lol

Edwood

pswii60 said:
The film grain makes the game look freakin' awesome IMO. Very filmic. In HD, at least.

Meh, the film grain is just there to cover up the horrendously late texture pop ups.

I turned it off, they're not foolin me.

arhra

sangreal said:
Weak... I played with Ashley and Garrus my entire playthrough and got completionist but no ally achievement
When did you get Completionist? If you just barely got it on one of your last quests, i can see you missing out, but i just got Soldier Ally after using Ashley full-time, and i'm only on the third story planet (i did dig site -> Feros -> Noveria, and got both Sentinel and Soldier Ally on Noveria, doing the quests just before
Matriarch Benezia
).

edit:
Meh, the film grain is just there to cover up the horrendously late texture pop ups.
What.

Seriously, it doesn't do anything to cover up the texture popping, but it does look fucking awesome (IMO, anyway).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I finished a second run on hardcore and I'm about 160k away from 60... which means doing the sidequests all over again probably. Ugh.
Also, maybe it's just me, but Saren is SO easy with a team of biotics. Just keep lifting him while you shoot the hell out of him.
One problem with the game is that in later stages, the ammo mods are all useless. They make your gun overheat or have such large accuracy penalties that it hardly seems worth it. Too bad I threw away all my lower level stuff... and that you can't buy that stuff any more. :(

I've kind of bitched about this before, but the game really needs a proper denoument. The ending as it is kind of stinks. I still don't get how Chrono Trigger can have something like 15 endings while BioWare games can't figure out how to do ONE ending properly.

Walshicus

xbhaskarx said:
Whoa, I just got to the
T-Rex skull on Maji (Vamshi System in the Armstrong Nebula), brought from another world. If Turok does well maybe ME2 will have dinos!
:lol

There's some blurb on another world that says how the
Batarians stole the remains of a Leviathan - a living giant spaceship - from it. Wonder if that's the same thing?

I just realized that what's his name is voiced by the same dude as Carth. Might explain why I 've always inexplicably considered him a pansy.

Quick question, not really spoileriffic, but I'll do it anyways:
I accidentally read in here that there are only 5 "plot" planets, is this pathetically low number counting the first 3 worlds you need to investigate after becoming a Spectre? If so, m to the eh.

Station42

Gamer @ Heart said:
Anyone dissapointed in the amount of total content in the game?

I had the same feeling...after the initial excitement, the game felt smaller and smaller the more i played and on the other side i didn't felt more conscious of the world i was exploring.

somehow, as Gamer @ Heart already sad, i felt like kotor was bigger.

it still remain a great game, i really like the story, even if i did hope dialogues were more complex and less repetitive, and combat system it's fun...also, graphics is very good, if we put a side those horrible, horrible problems of pop up and tearing.

it's strange because this game, on my opinion, has a lot of problems, and not only little ones, problems that would totally make me trow it out of the window, but good things are so good that i just can't stop playing.

Belgorim

arhra said:
When did you get Completionist? If you just barely got it on one of your last quests, i can see you missing out, but i just got Soldier Ally after using Ashley full-time, and i'm only on the third story planet (i did dig site -> Feros -> Noveria, and got both Sentinel and Soldier Ally on Noveria, doing the quests just before
Matriarch Benezia
)
Well, I got completionist and Quarian Ally at the same exact time when I completed the game (just at the end cut-scenes)... and you can bet I did lots of side-quests before even picking her up.

Solo

Alrighty, so I picked things up from the Citadel last night. Beat most if not all of the side quests there, then finally boarded the Normandy. I decided to go to Noveria first, so thats where I have just landed. Im absolutely in love with the game so far. Im especially intrigued by the world and the races inhabiting it, and the incredibly graphics that bring it all to life. I recently got Wrex in my party, and wow, just wow at his character model. Insane detail on his face alone. Technical issues aside, this may be the best looking game Ive ever played. But speaking of those issues, oh boy. While 99% of the game is pretty much flawless so far, it really could have used another 3-4 months of polish time. The texture pop-in is really annoying, and the framerate is bipolar. Its silky smooth at times, and then at other times (Im looking at you, Citadel main hub!), its a slideshow.

chase

The more I play the game the more certain things stick out, things that I didn't notice in the initial rush I got from the game. I'm not done with the game, so these complaints may disappear as the game goes on...but they've been going on for near 20 hours now, so they're not insignificant, even if they do change.

Things like your relationships with your squadmates...which don't really seem to exist. And how quickly you meet them all and add them to your crew. And they hardly have anything to say on sidequests. Many, not all!, of the sidequests don't seem to have improved since last-gen...they're really banal. There are just a lot of little (the side quests are banal, but they're not bad) things like this that stick out and add up to rather significant detractions from the game that, as I said, I didn't notice as I was being overwhelmed by the experience in the beginning. The issues I'm noticing now are particularly problematic regard the immersion and, most importantly, role-playing elements.

I hope hope hope that these are all results of deadlines and not things that they felt weren't necessary and that they'll be improved for the sequel. There is so much potential here that, with more time and money able to be spent on the story aspects rather than technical ones, hopefully they'll be able to live up to it.

Finally, I'm glad the hate for the inventory system is basically unanimous.

Solo

Yeah, I did find it weird that Ive assembled all my crew (minus one empty slot; although he or she could be on this planet too for all I know) on the first planet. Rather rushed. KotOR handled this better, when you picked up a squadmate on every few planets, rather than 5/6 on the very first one, and most of them were tied into the story too, whereas most of MEs havent really been.

Belgorim

The inventory system outside of being on the normandy when you cannot access your squadmates works fine for me. Takes less than a minute to sell all the crap you want to sell, since I just go by the number pretty mch, I sell everything less than X :)

Though since maxing out the gold I just omnigel everything. thats pretty easy aswell, just go to the item on any character, scroll down the list and start the Y/A treatment until your up to the items you want to keep.

I never realy let the system bother me, not sure what you are trying to do with it that makes it so anoying.

JayDubya

Banned
Inventory problems?

Well, the inventory limit is not unreasonable. Only once have I ever come close, after completing 4 side quest planets with many dungeon areas - it's generally a good idea to pop back to the Citadel and check the vendors anyway at that point.

The way the gear is only organized on the "Sell" menu in terms of increasing cost and the slow, slow scrolling is the real problem in my eyes. It would be nice if they had a "skip down" button or the scrolling would accelerate.

Frame rate problems? Never had any, but then I've never been a big frame rate whore so I might not be the best one to notice that sort of thing. I mean, I've run into a "Loading" mid combat once, but that was a brief pause and then we were back in business.

Texture pop? Yeah, it's pretty bad, but you get used to it.

Film grain and motion blur? I like 'em, but hey, easily removable if you don't.

Done every side quest available again, and I was right, completing new story planets not only moves the romance tracks forward, they unlock like 4-5 new star systems and ~3 new quests. So yeah, nothing left to do on my map right now besides Vermire and Noveria. Noveria first, definately.

I'm fairly happy with this game. The story planets so far have had a lot of content and much of it quite good. The side quest planets have highly repetitive terrain with mildly changing scenarios and encounters, so they can get kind of tiresome, yeah. This is nothing new for Bioware, though - as I said, the planet exploration maps remind of individual screens for exploration back in Baldur's Gate. Perhaps in ME2, as in BG2, they will eschew this method and move to larger, more interesting side areas and side quests.

Solo

JayDubya said:
Frame rate problems? Never had any, but then I've never been a big frame rate whore so I might not be the best one to notice that sort of thing.

Walk around the Citadel and see if you can honestly say that with a straight face.

Top Bottom