• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

I kinda wish it was like KOTOR, where the "bad" options were always that little bit more tempting. Perhaps doing things the evil way should be a little more rewarding? Or perhaps ME2 can have a "fear/respect" thing whereby the very way people respond to your presence in an area depends on how good/evil you are.

Just finished my first play through. Clocked in at a little over 14 hours. I thought I was doing quite a few side quests but I guess not. Plan on going back through later on hardcore to see how that is.

IoCaster

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I always play female characters and I'm always a complete ass. It's opposite land whenever I play videogames. =/

I don't mind playing a female character like Lara Croft or something, but whenever I have a choice, I'll always opt for a male. I guess I'm just more comfortable role playing as a male. For some reason, I think that I'd have a difficult time role playing an evil female character. I suppose that I'm just not wired that way. It's hard to say really, but I've never tried.

arhra

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Has anyone posted a good summary for getting the codex entries achievement?
You mean Scholar? I got that one on my first game, before i even left the Citadel. Just talk to everyone and everything, at every opportunity, and follow all the investigate branches. One of the conversations that triggers one of the entries can't be done later, though, so beware (i think it's a conversation with Anderson, but i'm not sure).

Dechaios said:
Last two Saren fights were a little drawn out for me and my squad died immediately.. but still pretty epic. Can't wait for the next game.
On my first play-through (soldier, level 50 at that point with Spectre X weapons and some good mods), the fight vs normal Saren lasted ~6s. I just popped out from cover and gunned the bastard down in a single burst from my AR :lol. Felt rather anti-climactic after all that talking, to tell the truth.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Kittonwy said:
Having played the game six times you probably wouldn't notice the framerate at this point, if you've just recently come off a game with a better framerate the choppy framerate is more apparent, especially when it comes to controlling your character and the level of responsiveness, that said it isn't unplayable, just sluggish for those of us who just come off playing other games with better a framerate.

I'm more annoyed by things like the load times and the elevator rides but I'm willing to play it further, not a huge fan of the combat though, but that's only because I've been playing games with a much better shooter component.

Oh hey, look it's Kittonwy in the Mass Effect thread downplaying the game by implying it's not as smooth and responsive as Uncharted. :lol

Don't even fucking deny that you're basically saying this RPGdoesn't play as well as Uncharted, a game you've been playing with a "much better shooter component." Double-standard is a bitch ain't it.

I wouldn't even mention it except for the fact that I got a bunch of ridiculous backlash for even mildly bitching about Uncharted's weak platforming vs. Ass Creed, another game I was playing at the time.

Mass Effect has plenty faults, and nobody here is in denial of them. To quote one of your buddies, altogether andrews: "Fucking pathetic."

By the way, what's your gamertag?

DarkKyo

arhra said:
You mean Scholar? I got that one on my first game, before i even left the Citadel. Just talk to everyone and everything, at every opportunity, and follow all the investigate branches. One of the conversations that triggers one of the entries can't be done later, though, so beware (i think it's a conversation with Anderson, but i'm not sure).

On my first play-through (soldier, level 50 at that point with Spectre X weapons and some good mods), the fight vs normal Saren lasted ~6s. I just popped out from cover and gunned the bastard down in a single burst from my AR :lol. Felt rather anti-climactic after all that talking, to tell the truth.
I really didn't do ANY sidequests, so I was both under-leveled and under-geared.
Each fight lasted like 20 minutes for me, with Saren being in the last 20% of health for half the battle each time

pringles

Finished my first playthrough today.
I was a male/Infiltrator/paragon, and it took me about 42 hours. Ended up a level 49.

The whole game was incredible, but the last two hours or so were among the most epic in videogame history. Take note, other developers, that is how you end a game. No sign of the anti-climactic crap seen in most other games.

I've already started on a female character. Gonna be a rogue and go for some of the biotic power achievments. I'm guessing it might be hard to bed Liara as a rogue though :/

jet1911

Second playthrough on hardcore is quite hard for my Adept. I'm not packing that much firepower. :(

chespace said:

Kittonwy.png

sangreal

arhra said:
When did you get Completionist? If you just barely got it on one of your last quests, i can see you missing out, but i just got Soldier Ally after using Ashley full-time, and i'm only on the third story planet (i did dig site -> Feros -> Noveria, and got both Sentinel and Soldier Ally on Noveria, doing the quests just before
Matriarch Benezia
)

Hmm, I got the achievement during the ending cinematic. I didn't realize you could get completionist or ally achievemenets before the end. I guess I will go back and do a few more quests if thats the case, thanks

IoCaster

Damn, I got Liara out with a minimum of fuss and bother. That battlemaster dude went down fast with ~6 or so shots. I'm playing an Infitrator[level 23] with pistols maxed and I assassinated him quickly.

I'm about ready to add this game to my "best of list" right now. I hope that Bioware has a sequel primed to go for 2008 Holiday season. I'll be there day one.

Kittonwy

Banned
chespace said:
Oh hey, look it's Kittonwy in the Mass Effect thread downplaying the game by implying it's not as smooth and responsive as Uncharted. :lol

The shooting isn't as smooth and responsive as in Uncharted, and the AI isn't as good as Uncharted, and that's the truth, it isn't a knock on the game as a whole, if shooting is all there is to ME I would simply stop playing and trade it back in but it isn't, even though it is an important aspect of the game.

Don't even fucking deny that you're basically saying this RPGdoesn't play as well as Uncharted, a game you've been playing with a "much better shooter component." Double-standard is a bitch ain't it.

Shooter-wise it doesn't, there's nothing to deny. God forbid I just happened to have finished the single player campaigns of three of the best shooters on the market (HALO 3, COD4, Uncharted).

I wouldn't even mention it except for the fact that I got a bunch of ridiculous backlash for even mildly bitching about Uncharted's weak platforming vs. Ass Creed, another game I was playing at the time.

You got backlash for your posts in the Uncharted thread? Good, I'm glad to hear it, I hope you don't expect me to feel sorry for you anytime soon.

Mass Effect has plenty faults, and nobody here is in denial of them. To quote one of your buddies, altogether andrews: "Fucking pathetic."

Frame rate is a problem for some, it was being disputed, I came off Uncharted and COD4, and the frame rate clearly is a problem for me in ME, it doesn't break the game but it's noticible and all I did was explain why it's reasonable for some to notice the choppy frame rate.

Why do you ask? And no I did not buy Forza 2.

Son of a bitch. I got nearly to the end of Ilos on my second playthrough, and my save glitched and spawns my Mako under the level with one of it's wheels stuck in the floor. And the only fucking autosave is all the way back at the very start. Piece of shit save system! FUCK YOU BIOWARE YOU COULD HAVE AT LEAST AUTOSAVED AT THE HOLOGRAM

And where's my fucking Krogan companion achievement? I've had him through the whole fucking game, did every single quest, got the Quarian companion achievement, and still nothing for Wrex.

Kittonwy

Banned
Sir Fragula said:
Me too. I'm surprised anyone bothers to keep Kaiden around. He's the red-headed stepchild of my Astro Posse.
Except he's not even a red-head. He and Joker remind me of the odd couple.
Indifferent2.gif

Just got the game and I'm going to dive in tonight. Anyone seen any links to good basic game info that will help me get started? The manual is basically non-existent, and I'm not much of an RPG guy.

Also, any tips from you guys who have already been through the game about which class will provide a more fun experience for someone who's into playing the game casually [I'm not necessarily interested in putting in 100 hours]. Thanks!

Fusebox

Banned
Hey who do you want to
save, the hot chick or the whiney depressive chump?

Easiest choice I had to make all game. :D

Zen

Banned
Well it was
Hot Chick who's close minded and racist, but otherwise has an appealling personality and sense of integrity (ironic considering her bigeotry) versus an Open minded guy who has no real strikes against him aside from being annoying at times

I
chose to save kaiden simply because Ashley killed Wrex, and I wasn't convinced he was going to shott me when I lowered my weapon

Reave

Dechaios said:
Just beat it. Good stuff.
Last two Saren fights were a little drawn out for me and my squad died immediately.. but still pretty epic. Can't wait for the next game.

Probably been asked a hundred times in here but what is the song during the credits? Me likey

Faunts - M4 Part II

beerbelly

Banned
Zen said:
Well it was
Hot Chick who's close minded and racist, but otherwise has an appealling personality and sense of integrity (ironic considering her bigeotry) versus an Open minded guy who has no real strikes against him aside from being annoying at times

I
chose to save kaiden simply because Ashley killed Wrex, and I wasn't convinced he was going to shott me when I lowered my weapon

You could have saved Wrex if your Charm level was high enough.

GilloD

Banned
Fusebox said:
Hey who do you want to
save, the hot chick or the whiney depressive chump?

Easiest choice I had to make all game. :D

I loved having to make the choice.
I saved hot chick and later WE DID IT BECAUSE WE WERE SO HAPPY IT WAS AWESOME
Regardless, I never actually used either of them.

About the ending:

I have to confess.. when I had to decide to save the council at the end, I decided to let them die, then I felt bad and reloaded an old saved game and replayed through, this time saving them. :)

Fusebox

Banned
Zen said:
Well it was

I

Yeah,
Ashley can be a cow sometimes lol, but she never killed Wrex for me, I charmed him. He's going down in my Renegade playthrough though lol

started a new game re-using my old character. here are some questions/observations so far:

i started at level 43, which immediately makes my squadmates level 43 too. that means i get to level them up maxing out the important thing now that i know what those are.

money is beyond useless now that i got all the good weapons and equipment from the first playthrough. no matter, i now have over 3 million credits. yikes.

any reason to bother checking crates and weapon lockers and stuff? i already have all the best weapons in the game.

i have so much omni gel now i never need to do the stupid hacking mini game ever again (i assume?)

i want to get to level 50 this playthrough. do i still need to do all the side quests? i'm at level 44 just after eden prime.

i finished the game as a paragon, now I get to do it as a renegade :D

i'm playing on hardcore difficulty but as level 44 the enemies still don't seem to be a match for me and my squad. between all my bonuses and my maxed out talents and super equipment, i wonder if anything will be a challenge even on hardcore.

i noticed that not only did i keep my
spectre weapons
from the previous playthrough, but i got an extra copy of them.. so i gave them to my squad (who can use them too?) seems a little odd.

it's nice to start over with such a badass character. nothing seems intimidating anymore. i've maxed out my throw and lift abilities to where they are almost instant kills. :D

anyway, i love bioware games :) i haven't enjoyed an RPG this much since baldur's gate 2.

burgerdog

Finally beat it, what an incredible game. Final save was at around 40 hours at lv49. By the way, I never came across the monkey thing you guys keep talking about, where are they located?

Fusebox

Banned
Really looking forward to restarting as a female, but how are you people finding it replaying it with the same character? Isn't it boring and aren't you just over-powered to the max?

Fusebox said:
Really looking forward to restarting as a female, but how are you people finding it replaying it with the same character? Isn't it boring and aren't you just over-powered to the max?

enemies scale to your level.

I also would like to know where one might find these monkeys, I assume Virmire?

Steveko

MisterAnderson said:
So how come hardcore isn't unlocked for me after I beat the game? Did I have to beat it on Veteran to unlock it?

I was confused by that as well after beating it on Normal. Even though the text says Hardcore must be unlocked, it actually is unlocked and can be selected. Once you gain control of the character after the initial cutscene, just choose hardcore and save the selection in options.

arhra

kirbybreezy said:
I also would like to know where one might find these monkeys, I assume Virmire?
Eletania, Hercules system, Attican Beta cluster. You should get a quest at some point about a lost module from a crashed probe, and it ends up having been stolen by the monkeys.

arhra said:
Eletania, Hercules system, Attican Beta cluster. You should get a quest at some point about a lost module from a crashed probe, and it ends up having been stolen by the monkeys.

is there a summary of all the quests and how to get them anywhere? it's too hard to keep track of them all

Zen

Banned
beerbelly said:
You could have saved Wrex if your Charm level was high enough.

Oh believe me
my charm was maxed up by the went of the game. I simply felt the middle answer of "we can work this out" was more appropreate for my character on the spur of the moment. Also a part of me wanted to see what would happen, calling his bluff or whatver. Boy was I suprised when Ashely shot him in the back... suprised and angry. :anger:

beerbelly

Banned
Kittonwy said:
I'm more annoyed by things like the load times and the elevator rides but I'm willing to play it further, not a huge fan of the combat though, but that's only because I've been playing games with a much better shooter component.

Whoa, whoa there. Are you playing as the soldier class?

Try the Adept, Sentinel, etc classes. Video samples below:

Sentinel: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/131819.html
Adept: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/139111.html

Zen: I guess you played through many parts without saving :lol I would have re-loaded the game if
Ashley killed Wrex

lockload

I beat the game today total playtime was about 33 hours according to live eye, i didnt get the 75% complete achievement though so still lots to do on my next playthrough..

Is anyone else having major problems with the game crashing a lot? I've about 15 hours in, and am a lvl 27 soldier. I'd say the game has given me the "dirty or damaged" disc error about 10 times now. I'm saving all the time, but it just keeps happening.

I haven't had the red ring of death, but this seems insane. I haven't had problems with any of my other 360 games...

Shinjitsu

Banned
Superblatt said:
Is anyone else having major problems with the game crashing a lot? I've about 15 hours in, and am a lvl 27 soldier. I'd say the game has given me the "dirty or damaged" disc error about 10 times now. I'm saving all the time, but it just keeps happening.

I haven't had the red ring of death, but this seems insane. I haven't had problems with any of my other 360 games...

Your xbox is starting to die.

Superblatt said:

I'm 20 hours in and have not had one crash/freeze.

Zen

Banned
beerbelly said:
Whoa, whoa there. Are you playing as the soldier class?

Try the Adept, Sentinel, etc classes. Video samples below:

Sentinel: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/131819.html
Adept: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/139111.html

Zen: I guess you played through many parts without saving :lol I would have re-loaded the game if
Ashley killed Wrex

Haha, yeah, I basicaly just used 1 save file for most of the game, though I do still have 1 or 2, I wish I'd grabbed a few more cool moments in the game. The issue is that I really have enjoyed Mass Effect, and I found the more I played it the more immersed and movie like I felt it was. So I adopted a mentality of 'whatever happens is what happened' because I found, and even after beating it, that going back to other points in the game to see what I could have done differently just cheapens the authenticity of my first experience by making it feel like more of a 'game'.

Maybe I'm weird or something, I don't normally care about maintaining narrative purity in most games, but it became a big thing for me in Mass Effect with my character. To the point where I don't even really want to replay the game with a new character. Well... I do... but you understand what I mean, I think, even if my slant on playing Mass Effect is probably out there compared to everyone else.

Though I'm forcing one of my friends to come over and play through the game with a new character as a loophole. :lol

THis is sort of why I'm desperate for Bioware to release some DLC content, or open up an endgame feature, to go around the galaxy and complete the stuff I you never got around to doing. :lol:

Xevren

Mine crashed quite a bit, DRE's mainly. Just beat the game, easily my game of the year. Gonna go ahead and start up a new game as a paragon/adept this time. Filled up the entire renegade meter and boy that was fun, that was probably the funniest dialogue I have ever seen.

Superblatt said:
Is this what they do before they totally die?

Unreal Engine games read quite a bit off of the DVD drive, or so I've heard. Sounds like yours is starting to go.

My 360 gave me a ton of DRE's in Assassin's Creed, but I didn't get a single one during Mass Effect. I thought my 360 was dying too, but I dunno.

Top Bottom