• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Aurora

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Thats why they call them achievements.
It's as if you didn't even read my post. What part of being forced to restart the game because of a major design flaw is an achievement? What part of being forced to completely ignore the Squad system is an achievement?

The only achievement here is that for worst designed points in a game.

raYne said:
Yeah.. you still play too much. Plus I saw already. Stalkitute to the max!

..... :*(

Hey, man. Whenever you want to drag me away from ME to play CoD4, just send an invite. Snake just wants to play Rock Band all the time.

Aurora said:
It's as if you didn't even read my post. What part of being forced to restart the game because of a major design flaw is an achievement? What part of being forced to completely ignore the Squad system is an achievement?

I get what you are saying, but i don't mind that its abnormaly difficult to get all the achievments in this game. They SHOULD be hard to get, so that...ya know, you feel like you really accomplished something? I agree they are borderline absurd. However, I don't think its a "design flaw" at all. If you don't explore all the dialog choices, thats on you....

SuperEnemyCrab said:
i don't mind that its abnormaly difficult to get all the achievments in this game. They SHOULD be hard to get, so that...ya know, you feel like you really accomplished something? .

That's the thing, though, most aren't difficult, just time-consuming (and boring). I don't feel like I've accomplished much with most of them.

In contrast, completing the last mission on CoD4 on Veteran was an achievement that was extremely satisfying. It took tons of skill and time.

raYne

Vyse The Legend said:
Hey, man. Whenever you want to drag me away from ME to play CoD4, just send an invite. Snake just wants to play Rock Band all the time.
I know! Jesus Christ. I've seen nothing but Rock Band since he got it. :lol

I was actually gonna send an invite your way yesterday, but figured you were all wrapped up in your insanity. And I'm not talking about the diff level. :x

Vyse The Legend said:
That's the thing, though, most aren't difficult, just time-consuming (and boring). I don't feel like I've accomplished much with most of them.
Exactly. You can keep that Insanity stuff to your self. Some Veteran battles take too long for my liking,

Vyse The Legend said:

In contrast, completing the last mission on CoD4 on Veteran was an achievement that was extremely satisfying. It took tons of skill and time.

I agree about CoD4, but I also don't mind putting in the time in Mass Effect either. I guess it just depends on how you look at it. I can totally understand where you guys are coming from, but for me, its just not a big deal.

beerbelly

Banned
This game is super buggy :( When I was in Feros, after fighting that giant plant, sometimes I couldn't melee the infected people unconscious; they would continue shooting me and I'd have to load the game again to play that part. When surveying planets, sometimes I don't see an EXP window show up to indicate that I gained some. Also, when talking with a woman in Citadel she suddenly grew 10 feet tall :lol , pics below show Sheppard looking up and the woman looking down.

8axx9va.jpg

8dxnmmt.jpg

Johnkers

beerbelly said:
This game is super buggy :( When I was in Feros, after fighting that giant plant, sometimes I couldn't melee the infected people unconscious; they would continue shooting me and I'd have to load the game again to play that part. When surveying planets, sometimes I don't see an EXP window show up to indicate that I gained some. Also, when talking with a woman in Citadel she suddenly grew 10 feet tall :lol , pics below show Sheppard looking up and the woman looking down.

Haha I was talking to someone about that, exact same thing happened to him now.

It was awesome, I love the fact that they were still keeping eye contact!

I just after getting the sixth party member I was
going up an elevator during a mine collapse
and the game got locked in at one frame per second, rendering it literally unplayable because a battle kicked in right afterwards. I am not exaggerating about the framerate, I actually counted seconds aloud and for each second I got a new frame. Very frustrating.

Quazar

Johnkers said:
Haha I was talking to someone about that, exact same thing happened to him now.

It was awesome, I love the fact that they were still keeping eye contact!

:lol :lol

That's funny as hell.

Mr Jared

I finished it off tonight (Finally! I was busy all week.), fixed-up dinner and started again. I can't even remember the last time I've wanted to that.

I really wish they let you reallocate your stats for New Game+ though. I'm a soldier and it feels like a waste to still have points in pistols and shotguns. As it turns out, I only ever used assault rifles and sniper rifles. Still, thanks to my maxed out charm I'm seeing a lot of options I've never seen before. It looks as though it's going to remain interesting.

I also plan on starting a Renegade game and focus on the tech powers. The Achievement whore in me wants to see how many I can get. It doesn't hurt that the game is so damned fascinating either.

So, is anyone else dying for a Mass Effect MMO? Blowing up everything they've got and taking some inspiration from Eve Online would make for the ultimate Si-Fi MMO, IMO.

JayDubya

Banned
I can't wait to play through this game again as a different class. Engineer is really calling my name.

Maybe Engineer with Assault Rifles or Shotguns or Sniper Rifles though... already unlocked the first two on my first Soldier char. I only used Shottys for Feros and one side planet, and that was enough to earn the Shotgun Expert achievement. No shotgun skill, but gosh, you really don't need shotgun skill to own up with the Spectre Shotgun and the appropriate upgrades (2x +29% damage / +20% heat, +40% damage vs. synthetic / organic).

:lol Wow, Feros is one hell of a target rich environment, huh?

So now I'm going for Sniper Rifle Expert.

I do like how Shotguns do bonus damage at close range. Can't wait to play as a Vanguard to maximize Shotgun damage.

But no, I think my guy's going to focus on Assault Rifle and Sniper.

L43, 5 points to burn, Assault Rifle 12, Combat Armor 12, Fitness 12, Assault Training 12, Soldier 6 / Shock Trooper 6, Spectre Training 12, Charm 12.

So by L50 I could max out Pistol, max out Sniper, max out First Aid, or be 4 Pistol, 8 Shotgun. Trying to decide. I'm not sure how big a help FA would be on the harder difficulties.

Now, if only some god damn Heavy Colossus armor for Humans would drop or be at the vendor. Or hell, Medium would work. Medium would be stronger than what I'm wearing now.

Tiktaalik

I was going to try to wait on this one, because I have so many games going on right now, but after listening to sooo much hype, including the 1up yours hype of the most recent episode, I think I'm going to go out and get it. It helps that it's snowy out and there is nothing to do.

I'm so weak.

Aurora said:

As you know, they did this to encourage players to play various classes. Why are you calling that poor game design?

Also, it's a fucking achievement dude....kinda meaningless.

TTG

Just got this the other day. This game is borderline unplayable. How the hell did they actually release the game in such horrible shape? I've only been in a few battles, but it was enough to see how much the AI actually sucks. I would run around the cover they're hiding behind and they would not recognize that they were vulnerable, just sat there waiting to die. Ofcourse there is the horrible slowdown and texture pop in. I don't think I've seen such horrible slowdown in ANY game EVER. I'm just hoping the story gets better, as of right now it's the usual powerful artifact from an extinct civilization save the universe bullshit.

Looks like I got burned just because I REALLY liked KOTOR and trusted these guys. I sort of feel bad for EA right now :lol

Draft

a Master Ninja said:
I just after getting the sixth party member I was
going up an elevator during a mine collapse
and the game got locked in at one frame per second, rendering it literally unplayable because a battle kicked in right afterwards. I am not exaggerating about the framerate, I actually counted seconds aloud and for each second I got a new frame. Very frustrating.
Same thing happened to me, same spot, same frame rate problem. Must be a bug.

mcgarrett

Is my 360 dying? I broke down and bought this game the other day. Was exploring my second planet, dodging some enemy fire in my Mako when all of a sudden my 360 starting making a lot less noise than it usually does and the screen froze. Plus I heard sort of a clicking sound like it was having trouble reading the disc. Is this the dreaded DRE, or do you get an actual error message when that happens?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
beerbelly said:

8axx9va.jpg

8dxnmmt.jpg

The same thing happened to me. She didn't grow tall, she just go bumped onto the ledge-thing behind her.

Quagm1r3

Loving this game, but I'm running into a major annoyance. I run into occasional sidequests that I just can't do. My most recent complaint is one I found in
Noveria.

The quest description says "You came across a missing person report on Noveria. A man named Garoth is concerned his brother and the ship he was on may have been attacked by privateers." Then it says "Go to the Strenuus System in the Horse Head Nebula cluster and search for signs of Garoth's brother and his ship."
The problem is is that I've search all the planets, surveyed a few, and can't land on any of them. So what's the deal here? It told me to go to a specific system to find something and it flat out isn't here.

Am I being stupid or is this really a non-existent quest?

Havok

Quagm1r3 said:
Loving this game, but I'm running into a major annoyance. I run into occasional sidequests that I just can't do. My most recent complaint is one I found in
Noveria.

The quest description says "You came across a missing person report on Noveria. A man named Garoth is concerned his brother and the ship he was on may have been attacked by privateers." Then it says "Go to the Strenuus System in the Horse Head Nebula cluster and search for signs of Garoth's brother and his ship."
The problem is is that I've search all the planets, surveyed a few, and can't land on any of them. So what's the deal here? It told me to go to a specific system to find something and it flat out isn't here.

Am I being stupid or is this really a non-existent quest?

Scan the flickering object just 'above' Xawin on the Galaxy Map

Quagm1r3

Aurora said:
What part of being forced to restart the game because of a major design flaw is an achievement? What part of being forced to completely ignore the Squad system is an achievement?

The hell? Who's forcing you to do what exactly? No one said you had to unlock these achievements. If you're so completely pissed that to get all the achievements you have to play through the game more than once, then just don't. Believe it or not, this game wasn't designed with achievements in mind, and I'm glad it isn't. If developers were to change their design ideas for the sake of meaningless points, I would be as mad as you are.

Scan the flickering object just 'above' Xawin on the Galaxy Map

Wow, I never would've seen that if you hadn't pointed it out. It's barely even visible.

Ok, I started over as a soldier and played for about 3 hours now, died only once, and it's a MUCH smoother ride, I must say.

Also, you notice the technical problems a lot less when you don't die as often. :D :D

Now I'm back to the game.

::salutes::

Rorschach

beerbelly said:
Did you guys notice that every female character has the exact same body and so does every Human male? Even that old mob boss chick had the exact same body as Ashley and the Asari. There's also very few hair styles. :| The only one that's different is the Council Asari. I wanted to make a barrel chested middle aged man! I think that's why the Captain's face looked so awkward. It doesn't look like it belongs on that body.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, that seems to be how the BioWare does its characters.
Conveniently, all the aliens are of one gender, so they save some assets on that end too.

Zzoram

firehawk12 said:
Yeah, that seems to be how the BioWare does its characters.
Conveniently, all the aliens are of one gender, so they save some assets on that end too.

I really don't mind. I'd rather all the women have nice bodies than look at varying degrees of obesity :lol

Just finished the game, fucking awesome. Since my fiancee stole the TV to watch Blood, I have some New Game+ questions:

1. I played as a Vanguard and got all the Lift/Throw/Barrier achievements. If I start a new game as an engineer character I get all of the Engineer skill trees and the vanguard ones I got an achievement in, correct?

2. How does this work for leveling up since I am already a level 50? Does the game still give me just as many skill points to spend in a normal game or do I only get 10 more points for the whole game?

Zzoram

UnholySpectacle said:
Just finished the game, fucking awesome. Since my fiancee stole the TV to watch Blood, I have some New Game+ questions:

1. I played as a Vanguard and got all the Lift/Throw/Barrier achievements. If I start a new game as an engineer character I get all of the Engineer skill trees and the vanguard ones I got an achievement in, correct?

2. How does this work for leveling up since I am already a level 50? Does the game still give me just as many skill points to spend in a normal game or do I only get 10 more points for the whole game?

Whatever skill achievements you got (eg. use Lift 75 times, kill 150 with shotgun) unlocks that skill. When creating a new character, you can pick ONE bonus skill (so you can't have a character with every ability).

If you carry over a character, you keep the face/money/level/items but you can't change your class or respec. The level cap raises to 60 in Hardcore and Insanity.

I beat Veteran as a male Adept renegade, and now I'm playing as a female paragon Soldier on Hardcore. I picked Singularity as my unlocked bonus skill.

Havok

UnholySpectacle said:

You pick one of the trees to add to your new character's class.

zombi

Edag Plata said:
Ok, I started over as a soldier and played for about 3 hours now, died only once, and it's a MUCH smoother ride, I must say.

Also, you notice the technical problems a lot less when you don't die as often. :D :D

Now I'm back to the game.

::salutes::
Haha, great to hear.

I started as a an infiltrater only to learn i didnt have access to all the tech abilities, which meant i got to watch all the unskipbable cutscenes that fill the begining of the game again as i restarted as an engineer. Now im playing my 3rd time on hardcore.

Hopefully someone will answer this the thrid time i ask :p : Will i be able to get my lvl 50 solder to 60 on an insanity playthrough? Is it possible or should i do a quick run on a lower difficulty with the character first?

Quagm1r3

Zzoram said:
I beat Veteran as a male Adept renegade, and now I'm playing as a female paragon Soldier on Hardcore. I picked Singularity as my unlocked bonus skill.

So you have to get the achievement to get the bonus skill? If so, thanks for sharing that. I'll make sure to get all the bio achievements now that I know I can carry them over.

Although now I regret playing first as an infiltrator. If I had gone in as a soldier for my first playthrough, I would have had the ability to tack on assault rifle to my adept playthrough. I guess I'm playing through this game more than 3 times then. O_O

Havok

Gamer @ Heart said:
I started as a an infiltrater only to learn i didnt have access to all the tech abilities, which meant i got to watch all the unskipbable cutscenes that fill the begining of the game again as i restarted as an engineer. Now im playing my 3rd time on hardcore.

Hopefully someone will answer this the thrid time i ask :p : Will i be able to get my lvl 50 solder to 60 on an insanity playthrough? Is it possible to should i do a quick run on a lower difficulty with the character first?

It takes more than one playthrough to get from 50-60 (the XP gap from 59-60 alone is nearly 200k.). You might be able to get by with a story-only Normal playthrough along with your nearly-complete Insanity run, but I'm not sure.

I just completed my insanity run today and I hate krogans soooo much. Half a minute of fire from the Spectre X assault rifle before he goes down the first time, then his health recharges and he gets back up, and calls 2 of his buddies to come over and headbutt me. Ugh.

Top Bottom