• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Giard

I think I just did something retarded.
I'm on Feros, and just got the gas grenades to put to sleep the civilians. However, I thought the civilians turned into those Thorian Zombie things, so I used all my grenades on the huge pack before going down the elevator. Now, I have no more grenades, and everybody's shooting me and I can't use the crane controls in battle...
Is there anyway I can get out of this situation without killing everyone?

Giard said:
I'm on Feros, and just got the gas grenades to put to sleep the civilians. However, I thought the civilians turned into those Thorian Zombie things, so I used all my grenades on the huge pack before going down the elevator. Now, I have no more grenades, and everybody's shooting me and I can't use the crane controls in battle...

yes...
i think you can melee attack them to knock them out instead of using the grenades

firehawk12 said:
Yeah, there are actually two ways to do that mission... the "stealth" way or that way.

Actually, You can blow the entire thing up and skip it, by talking to the guard and going back up the elevator and into the other previously locked door toward the hot lab. At least thast what i heard.

Gamer @ Heart said:
Actually, You can blow the entire thing up and skip it, by talking to the guard and going back up the elevator and into the other previously locked door toward the hot lab. At least thast what i heard.
I never tried it, but it gave the option... I turned around and came back to that part later.

medze

Wait, Colossus X is better than Predator H X? Can't remember the stats exactly, I just remember Predator has a shitload of shield, 500+. There's not much explanation of the stats though so it's kind of hard to judge what's best

Big-E

Playing through Insanity now with my male soldier. Everything has been a breeze so far except for the damn Krogan and Thorian Creepers. Krogan just take a hell of a long time to take out and same with the Creepers. Luckily the Creepers fall down so easy but they sure take a lot of bullets. They seem to take more than a damn Geth Ammature.

gcfan2k5

Big-E said:
Playing through Insanity now with my male soldier. Everything has been a breeze so far except for the damn Krogan and Thorian Creepers. Krogan just take a hell of a long time to take out and same with the Creepers. Luckily the Creepers fall down so easy but they sure take a lot of bullets. They seem to take more than a damn Geth Ammature.

Build yourself a big shotgun of death.... High Explosive Rounds and damage enhancers. Anything smaller than an armiture that isnt a boss will fall down from a close range shot and stay down for nearly the entire cooldown period for your gun, rinse , repeat.

Surfheart

I finished the game with around 42 hours on the save.

I enjoyed it because I love the genre and there is a dearth of titles in it so far this gen but ultimately I felt the game was a dissapointment.

I expected to travel to amazing places, see alien cities and so on. But what I got was cookie cutter procedurally generated "planets" with "bases" which are not only identical artwise but layout wise an well. Not to mention tiny. The sidequest setup brought the game down considerably in my eyes.

The main quest was excellent, but woefully short.

Combat was good, but unbalanced. It was impossibly hard (matriach) at first, then once I had a few levels and some decent gear it was ridiculously easy. I'm not sure what the solution is here because I wouldn't advocate an auto-leveling system such as Oblivions'.

I really enjoyed the story and the way you could influence the conversations somewhat. The character models were pretty amazing up close. Best digital actors ever.

Technical issues ahoy, didn't bother me too much but you have to wonder why someone didn't think "Oh, if we show the loading screen for another 5 to 10 seconds we can mask all the texture loading."

The rpg mechanics were pretty solid with some interesting classes and skills alot of which ultimately felt redundant due to long recharge times and the fact that from around hour 10 enemies died pretty fast.

All in all it was a good experience and as others have said, a good basis to work from for the hopeful sequels. (did the game sell all that well?)

Edit: Oh, and the music rocked!

Yeah there really needs to be more shit on the planets.

Hell even letting you run the mako through some cities bombed out by the Geth would have been cool.

It just sucks that they pretty much failed completely at making the worlds feel, oh I don't know, COLONIZED.

But yeah great game overall. Gonna be playing it hardcore for the next few week or so probably.

ElyrionX

karasu said:
Shitty inventory UI's are a Bioware trademark.

Yep. That and the framerate issues, retarded squadmates' pathfinding AI and an assload of bugs in the retail version.

They're all trademarks of a Bioware title.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, Jade Empire fixed it by largely getting rid of the inventory. I kind of wish they went back to that and just let you deal with mods.

Az987

all good things
So i go to play mass effect for the first time, get to where I choose my specialty in the create a characther menu, and the game freezes.

I load it back up, this time it doesnt even make it past the title screen before freezing and all these red boxes are on my screen.

I figure ill give it one last go, make it as far as the first time, then the red boxes appear and it freezes.

Then I go to turn my xbox back on and uh oh RED RING ! GOSH DAMMIT !

So did Mass Effect break my system? I had just played through Cain and Linch without a hitch, so I dont think it was the system.

Should I send my game back as well as my console in, I dont really feel like getting a new system and having it happen again.

Anyone know how long it takes to get a replacment 360 ??

ElyrionX said:
Yep. That and the framerate issues, retarded squadmates' pathfinding AI and an assload of bugs in the retail version.

They're all trademarks of a Bioware title.
Pretty much, which is why everyone complaining about it is kinda baffling. What were yall expecting? This runs much better than Kotor did.

Zzoram

Son of Godzilla said:
Pretty much, which is why everyone complaining about it is kinda baffling. What were yall expecting? This runs much better than Kotor did.

Ya, and KOTOR narrowly missed GOTY at many publications, and I'm pretty sure did get a few GOTY wins.

Dark FaZe said:
I'd say Adept is probably one of the harder classes in terms of getting started. Low biotics, pistol skills, etc turn out to be near useless when your taking so much damage. But once you start leveling you'll find yourself just plowing through people.

Yeah I had some problems at first as an adept. Mainly because I didn't find any good armor for a while and barrier only goes so far. But now I am just plowing through bitches. Singularity is awesome.

ElyrionX

Son of Godzilla said:

I'm a huge Bioware fan and I'm complaining because I believe they get too many free passes from the media and from the fans for flaws that have always showed up in their games.

Obviously, there would be a lot less incentive for Bioware to improve unless some of us actually complain about it. Why should they be allowed to get away with releasing unpolished game after unpolished game when everyone else gets penalized for it?

It wouldn't be so bad if the flaws in their games vary from game to game but it has always been the same few goddamn issues.

BudokaiMR2 said:
Yeah there really needs to be more shit on the planets.

Hell even letting you run the mako through some cities bombed out by the Geth would have been cool.

It just sucks that they pretty much failed completely at making the worlds feel, oh I don't know, COLONIZED.

But yeah great game overall. Gonna be playing it hardcore for the next few week or so probably.

Actually, if anything, Bioware did too good a job making the worlds feel colonized. When we do get to the point where we can travel to different planets it will mostly be corporations or military exploiting the world for resources or strategic reasons. Most likely there will be a limited set of universal platforms that will be used for setting up shop, getting the job done then leaving.

I was more upset that they made is so close to how it would be in real life. I sorta wanted the whole game to be larger than life sorta like the Citadel.

alexh

ddk said:
Actually, if anything, Bioware did too good a job making the worlds feel colonized. When we do get to the point where we can travel to different planets it will mostly be corporations or military exploiting the world for resources or strategic reasons. Most likely there will be a limited set of universal platforms that will be used for setting up shop, getting the job done then leaving.

I was more upset that they made is so close to how it would be in real life. I sorta wanted the whole game to be larger than life sorta like the Citadel.
yeah I hear ya man..
if humans had a colony light years away and it was being attacked by a humungous living capital ship
, this is exactly what it would be like if it actually happened.

ddk said:

Except you know, all of those corporate employees will need places to live, eat, shop, etc. Feros is the closest we get but that is because it is a main quest planet. Plus we aren't just talking about Humanity. The other races have been colonizing for a long time before Humanity even showed up.

I don't know. Colonized to me doesn't mean just one underground research station on a planet.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
just got through Virmire. :O

really digging the story as its coming into its own now. the encounter with sovereign was just incredible

I don't really mind the framerate issues or pop-in too much. The game is still enjoyable with them, and I think the UT3 engine is more at fault (as these things tend to be a trademark of that engine). I wish they'd have gone with a game engine that had more crisp graphics (less bloom, etc), sort of like KOTOR, but I'm still very happy with it.

I still can't find Colossus X. I'm at level 46, have the license, and nothing is working, not even the reload trick (I switch to a major planet like Noveria, then a minor colony, then somewhere like Feros, walk up to the ship quartermaster, save, open the inventory, and keep reloading, but he has the same things every time).

BudokaiMR2 said:
Except you know, all of those corporate employees will need places to live, eat, shop, etc. Feros is the closest we get but that is because it is a main quest planet. Plus we aren't just talking about Humanity. The other races have been colonizing for a long time before Humanity even showed up.

I don't know. Colonized to me doesn't mean just one underground research station on a planet.
Pretty certain the region you are allowed to explore in ME is alliance space only. Also the planets aren't colonized for the most part, they are largely uncharted. Which is why every system has planets you can make discoveries on, why there are systems that aren't even mapped until you find out about em.

I was under the impression that humanity's only been at the whole interstellar space business for like 40 years or so anyways.

Giard said:

I ran into the same problem. I didnt equip the gas and wasted all but one grenade before I got on the elevator. I had to shoot my way through and killed all but 3. I wasnt happy about it, but there wasnt much I could do because of the auto save.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Actually, there is a container with 5 grenades right when you exit the tunnel into the main compound. You'll have to rush to it and use Barrier or something to make sure you don't die, but you can get it.
But if you're past that part, I guess it doesn't matter. I wonder what "ending" it gives if you don't save everyone though... I've never tried it like that.

Son of Godzilla said:
Pretty certain the region you are allowed to explore in ME is alliance space only. Also the planets aren't colonized for the most part, they are largely uncharted. Which is why every system has planets you can make discoveries on, why there are systems that aren't even mapped until you find out about em.

I was under the impression that humanity's only been at the whole interstellar space business for like 40 years or so anyways.

Those still just sound like cheap excuses to me. Has it really only been 40 years? I just get the feeling that there should be colonies. I mean you constantly hear about dangers to the colonies but then you don't really see one.

Research/mining facility does not equal colony.

Plus I mean you are allowed to pick spacer/space-born as an option. Where the hell was she raised? In a mine? Maybe not on every planet, but they really could have dropped a couple of cities into the mix on a few planets.

Toonami 99 said:
I ran into the same problem. I didnt equip the gas and wasted all but one grenade before I got on the elevator. I had to shoot my way through and killed all but 3. I wasnt happy about it, but there wasnt much I could do because of the auto save.
Could have read the quest description, which clearly states you can whack the fuckers over the head to subdue em.

BudokaiMR2 said:
Those still just sound like cheap excuses to me. Has it really only been 40 years? I just get the feeling that there should be colonies. I mean you constantly hear about dangers to the colonies but then you don't really see one.

Research/mining facility does not equal colony.

Plus I mean you are allowed to pick spacer/space-born as an option. Where the hell was she raised? In a mine? Maybe not on every planet, but they really could have dropped a couple of cities into the mix on a few planets.

If it means anything, the quest for colonist mentions that the colony that got wiped out by pirates was humanity's most developed.

Oh and the Normandy is supposed to be the first alliance ship of it's kind, is it not? That allows unrestricted non-relay system hopping?

firehawk12 said:
Well, the First Contact War takes place 30 years or so after humans find the Mass Relay near Pluto, from what I remember.

I'm pretty certain you got that mixed up and that the game takes place 30 years after the first contact war.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You're right. Actually, from the Codex in the LCE, it looks like the First Contact War happens one year after they find the Mass Relay.
Which is weird, because how the hell did humanity make any kind of fleet in that short of a time?

Shinjitsu

Banned
firehawk12 said:
You're right. Actually, from the Codex in the LCE, it looks like the First Contact War happens one year after they find the Mass Relay.
Which is weird, because how the hell did humanity make any kind of fleet in that short of a time?

You should read the prequel book.:D

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, true. Although, they could be vague and just refer to his/her pre-Spectre Alliance history. Or just focus on the NPC party members.

But, I suppose I'll end up picking the book up eventually anyway... Captain Anderson was never that interesting to me though.

Son of Godzilla said:
Pretty certain the region you are allowed to explore in ME is alliance space only.

Wait, that doesn't make any sense...I mean the citadel definitely wouldn't be in alliance space would it?

Phthisis

BudokaiMR2 said:
Wait, that doesn't make any sense...I mean the citadel definitely wouldn't be in alliance space would it?

I think he meant Citadel space. With the exception of the Citadel and Sol System, every cluster and planet you visit lies in the Attican Traverse or the Terminus systems: fringe territories that humanity is trying to colonize because the rest of the allied species in the galaxy has presumably colonized the left and upper parts of habitable planets on the galaxy map.

Mindlog

So I thought I had started a new game on Insanity or Hardcore I forget which. Game starts out hard enough, rocket wielding geth @ Eden Prime etc etc. Still pretty easy to defeat with my decked up Infiltrator.

Then sometime along the line I check my difficulty and it looks like it's saying normal :| I could have sworn I selected the highest allowed before I launched the game :( How long can I play one difficulty before I lose the power to gain the difficulty achievement?

arhra

Then sometime along the line I check my difficulty and it looks like it's saying normal :| I could have sworn I selected the highest allowed before I launched the game :( How long can I play one difficulty before I lose the power to gain the difficulty achievement?
You have until the end of Eden Prime (ie, the Beacon scene) to change it.

I did the same, only i managed to get as far as Fist in the Citadel before realising :| (luckily i was rushing through the Citadel to get Liara asap, so i hadn't done too much that i'd have to repeat...)

AniHawk

Going through as a female renegade... There's just so much here. It's awesome to see the different sidequests that you can do with depending on your background.

Whoa I think I was doing too much Sidequests. I just completed Feros (meanwhile did all possible Sidequests you can get so far) and half way on Noveria I get the Completionist Achievement. I hope that doesnt mean I wont get any sidequest later in the game :D

BTW: So far, this is the best Xbox 360 Game I have played yet (and I played a lot this year), Mass Effect ist simply a amazing experience, not even Bioshock, Halo or Gears had such an Impact on me like this one.

NJ Shlice

Hellraizer said:
Whoa I think I was doing too much Sidequests. I just completed Feros (meanwhile did all possible Sidequests you can get so far) and half way on Noveria I get the Completionist Achievement. I hope that doesnt mean I wont get any sidequest later in the game :D

You will still get your side missions.

This game is awesome, I'm about to start my 3rd playthrough with my same character because I CANNOT FIND THE COLOSSUS X ARMOR!!! Arrgghhh!!

JayDubya

Banned
Okay, so I got Tali's "Quarian Ally" partway through Noveria (I believe it was when I got the administrator removed from power). The only thing I did more with Tali over Liara is "Liara's Dig Site," obviously.

And so now I'd better be getting "Asari Ally" soon or I'm gonna have to choke a bitch.

I don't like these side quests THAT much that I'd want to do every single one again, which is what you essentially have to do in order to GET Asari Ally since she misses all the quests on Eden Prime, Citadel, and her own planet.

If you have to play through the game six times to get the "Ally" achievements, that's just >_>. In theory, it should have popped sometime after doing the 3 Listening Post quests, but here I am, crankily on Virmire, hoping it'll pop up sometime soon.

JayDubya said:
Okay, so I got Tali's "Quarian Ally" partway through Noveria (I believe it was when I got the administrator removed from power). The only thing I did more with Tali over Liara is "Liara's Dig Site," obviously.

And so now I'd better be getting "Asari Ally" soon or I'm gonna have to choke a bitch.

I don't like these side quests THAT much that I'd want to do every single one again, which is what you essentially have to do in order to GET Asari Ally since she misses all the quests on Eden Prime, Citadel, and her own planet.

If you have to play through the game six times to get the "Ally" achievements, that's just >_>. In theory, it should have popped sometime after doing the 3 Listening Post quests, but here I am, crankily on Virmire, hoping it'll pop up sometime soon.

On my 2nd play through I went straight for liara as early as you can, took her and tali on EVERY mission, got the completionist and quarian ally achievements, but no Asari ally. Good luck.

Top Bottom