• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

ckohler said:
I've completed Noveria and I'm just starting Ferros. Before I arrived at Noveria, I made sure and completed every single UNC, Citidel, Ally and random side quest I came across. I even returned to the Citidel numerous times to make sure I got them all. On away missions, I always drive the Maco around the entire map to find every mineral and downed probe.

As of last night, I think I'm at 32 hours... and I've not even finished Ferros yet!

I finished the game at around 37 hours. Slow pacing as well, and majority of side quests completed. Although about 10 hours of that might have been continuously going down elevators after every sidequest/side mission racing to Ashley to see if she would sex me or not :D .

Just completed this... so awesome. Only thing I didn't like is that I can only start a new game with my exact same char to get my stats. I will attempt hardcore with a new char (I want to play as a guy this time) but I get the feeling I'm going to get my ass handed to me.

Big-E

Psychotext said:
Just completed this... so awesome. Only thing I didn't like is that I can only start a new game with my exact same char to get my stats. I will attempt hardcore with a new char (I want to play as a guy this time) but I get the feeling I'm going to get my ass handed to me.

I just beat hardcore with a new male soldier. The beginning is the hardest part of the game really on that difficulty. Once you get a decent weapon, everything is a breeze.

Big-E said:
I just beat hardcore with a new male soldier. The beginning is the hardest part of the game really on that difficulty. Once you get a decent weapon, everything is a breeze.
Funny, that's exactly the char I have now. :D

The Lamonster said:
So any word on a patch for this game yet?
I don't know, what problems that are there seem to be considerable if your suggesting fixes for slowdown and texture popup, as they were in the 'polishing' stage for nearly year and over that time numerous viewers of the game commented on these issues. Obviously they attempted to fix them as best the could...but failed for whatever reason.

I think we'll likely see DLC and no patch.

ckohler said:
I've completed Noveria and I'm just starting Ferros. Before I arrived at Noveria, I made sure and completed every single UNC, Citidel, Ally and random side quest I came across. I even returned to the Citidel numerous times to make sure I got them all. On away missions, I always drive the Maco around the entire map to find every mineral and downed probe.

As of last night, I think I'm at 32 hours... and I've not even finished Ferros yet!
Same exact thing here except I finished Ferros and have yet to start Noveria, and I'm only 25 hours in at level 33 or 36 I believe.

So excluding side missions, the game consists of Ferros, Noveria, Vamire, and that's the end of the game?

Walshicus

Dark FaZe said:
I don't know, what problems that are there seem to be considerable if your suggesting fixes for slowdown and texture popup, as they were in the 'polishing' stage for nearly year and over that time numerous viewers of the game commented on these issues. Obviously they attempted to fix them as best the could...but failed for whatever reason.

There's one or two quests that are slightly broken with regards renegade points, and sometimes characters can get stuck on geometry. Not much really buggy with the game though. Improving certain UI elements would be nice, as would offering some way to see your overall completion ratio.

Hoping for a couple of "city" planets and some new prefab structures for sidequests in DLC at least...

Walshicus

Dark Octave said:
So excluding side missions, the game consists of Ferros, Noveria, Vamire, and that's the end of the game?

Eden Prime, Citadel, Therum, Feros, Noveria, Virmire, Citadel,
Ilos
(though to be honest I'm not really sure why we spoiler the planet's name when that gives nothing about the experience away),
Citadel

I just started Insane with a new female Biotic Sniper. Oh. My. God.

Every battle against like 2 damn guys is a war of attrition.

Are there human geth armors? I found a Berserker X for Krogans, but no other geth stuff but an assault rifle

Tieno

Finally got the game (and AC too). Only created a character (female) and talked to one dude before checking out AC. So far lyp syncing is better than I thought judging from the videos.

72u9et4.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
God's Beard said:
I just started Insane with a new female Biotic Sniper. Oh. My. God.

Every battle against like 2 damn guys is a war of attrition.

Are there human geth armors? I found a Berserker X for Krogans, but no other geth stuff but an assault rifle

Unfortunately, no.
And have fun with the organics you fight... those will be "fun".

FFChris

The ending is probably the best ending to a videogame I've ever played. Fantastic. Makes up for the terrible slowdown and pop-up...when the ending credits are slowing down, you know something is wrong.

Oh, and why does no one seem to like Tali? One of the best characters in my opinion, the backstory of her people is excellent. Her and Wrex were in my party.

bengraven

The maw was easy. Just wasn't patient enough. Took the advice to go off and repair and he was down within a couple minutes.

Thanks again guys. Now a few more hours in and while the cheap deaths are irritating, especially having to save often, I'm still digging the game.

Just wish I could find that last keeper to scan.

FFChris said:
The ending is probably the best ending to a videogame I've ever played. Fantastic. Makes up for the terrible slowdown and pop-up...when the ending credits are slowing down, you know something is wrong.

lol ya i noticed that to...framerate drops during the credits for crying out loud! Thats ok, the ending is spectacular, and the ending song is awesome.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
lol ya i noticed that to...framerate drops during the credits for crying out loud! Thats ok, the ending is spectacular, and the ending song is awesome.

Would it be considered a spoiler for someone to post the
'epic smile of win' that Shepard shows at the end of the game
?

Dark FaZe said:
Would it be considered a spoiler for someone to post the
'epic smile of win' that Shepard shows at the end of the game
?

I've mentioned it a few times now, but yeah, it's one of the best moments ever. That single expression is so simple but says so much.

Mindlog

RubberJohnny said:
They are way out of the Galaxy, it could be thousands of light years from anywhere and since they can't use their Mass Relays, they'd have to travel at ship based FTL speeds which could take them decades (we don't know how much faster-than-light they can go)

It would be neat if the Reapers really started picking on humans (first using the Turians, then the Batarri(?), then the Geth etc etc) because they weren't too far away from making a breakthrough at Jump Zero. Perhaps MEII will feature a new drive that's independent of Mass Relays. Who knows

I found another great thing about my High Explosive Sniper rifle. It's AWESOME in close quarters combat :lol In the final 'boss' battle after
rescuing Liara
the cinematic ended so I whipped out the sniper rifle and got a shot off. In one shot I killed the boss and every one of his support units except one. Switched to pistol and charged the last one for an easy takedown.

FFChris

Vyse The Legend said:
I've mentioned it a few times now, but yeah, it's one of the best moments ever. That single expression is so simple but says so much.

Hah yea, I had to smile when I saw that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You need to buy the Kassa license from the C-Sec Req officer and then it's random.
It either drops or you can buy it. The trick people use is the "save before talking to shop owner" trick to make sure it appears.

NJ Shlice

firehawk12 said:
You need to buy the Kassa license from the C-Sec Req officer and then it's random.
It either drops or you can buy it. The trick people use is the "save before talking to shop owner" trick to make sure it appears.

K, Thanx

I think I have Kassa license so I'll just keep saving and visiting my boy on the Normandy

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The stuff on Normandy changes somewhat randomly. People think it's every time you finish a main quest, but no one is sure.

TheWolf

Banned
it changes everytime you travel to a major planet or the Citadel. so you can save before you talk to him and reload and it will change at random.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've read in the BioWare forums that it doesn't always change when you go to a plot planet... I managed to get all the armor without a problem, so I just don't know.

Flipside

I am quite early on in the game. I just finished that Liara mission (I did this before Noveria or Ferros) and I have a very mixed feeling about the game.

On one hand I love the setting and talking to different people/aliens etc.

But on the other hand I find the combat not really that fun and the upgrading of both your characters and items a bit confusing. I don't really feel for it so I just randomly spend my points and cash on 'what I guess is best'.

Is this something that will go away later on in the game? I really want to keep playing it because of the presentation but for that the gameplay really has to pick up soon :(

Items also don't look that apealing visually (this could be because I am early in the game). Will items become really bad-ass looking further on? Or will it be almost the same model, but this time with an extra spot of red on it?

Restore my faith please :)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, the weapons look mostly the same... I didn't really mind though, because I never got the whole customization thing in RPGs.
I hope you like red and black though, because that's the colour of the best armor in the game...

newsguy

Wait a sec, I'm on Noveria right now, and I've done all of the side missions up to this point, but it tells me I'm only 12 hours in (I'm assuming it tells you how long you've played on the save screen). I haven't done Liara (not sure if I did Ferros but I think I did)
Is Ferros where you defend against some Geth and where you fight that pack of dogs?
. I'm bummed if that's the case cause I've done every possible side mission so far.

ckohler

Try returning to the Citadel if you haven't gone back yet. You'll get new stuff even from some people you've talked to before. Also, make sure and talk to *everyone*.

knitoe

TheWolf said:
it changes everytime you travel to a major planet or the Citadel. so you can save before you talk to him and reload and it will change at random.

Not true. I have tried going to Citadel, Noveria, Feros and other galaxy / cluster countless times trying to get the last Colossus X armor (Human Heavy) I don't have. Even after, finishing a mini quest, but Normandy vendor doesn't always change. Same thing with trying all the vendors on Citadel, Noveria and Feros. Really, think it has to do with finishing part of the main quest.

bengraven said:
The maw was easy. Just wasn't patient enough. Took the advice to go off and repair and he was down within a couple minutes.

if you wear him down with the mako until he's almost dead, then get out and kill him with your weapons/biotics then you get a ton more XP for that.

FrankT

Seems like I remember a couple of videos from summers ago that I don't recall seeing the content in the game. Chances are I missed one of the instances, but the other video I recall I thought was on the Citadel. I'm wondering how much was cut out. I need to find those videos.

Awesome, awesome game btw however. My GOTY at this point.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Started playing it yesterday. My thoughts so far (and a question).

- This is some baaad framerate, and you don't wanna fuck around with the pop-ups. Seriously, I'm the kind of gamer who usually doesn't care but it's so in your face all the time.

- A nice story and I like the design of most of the stuff.

- The firefights feels a bit iffy. And your squadmates are grade A retards.

I just got out of the Citadel for the first time and went to Feros (?). When there I find out that they've got a whole bunch of other problems with water, food and power. The tunnels are filled with Geth too. I went down for a while but killed near some transmitter. My question is; are you supposed to deal with this other stuff or should I just go for the skywalk and my main mission? Does it impact the story and such in any way?

Gattsu25

Banned
ItsInMyVeins said:
Started playing it yesterday. My thoughts so far (and a question).

- This is some baaad framerate, and you don't wanna fuck around with the pop-ups. Seriously, I'm the kind of gamer who usually doesn't care but it's so in your face all the time.

- A nice story and I like the design of most of the stuff.

- The firefights feels a bit iffy. And your squadmates are grade A retards.

I just got out of the Citadel for the first time and went to Feros (?). When there I find out that they've got a whole bunch of other problems with water, food and power. The tunnels are filled with Geth too. I went down for a while but killed near some transmitter. My question is; are you supposed to deal with this other stuff or should I just go for the skywalk and my main mission? Does it impact the story and such in any way?
You get Paragon (good) points (up to 24 paragon points) and extra experience if you continue to fight in the tunnels, as well as random loot. It's entirely optional

Tieno said:
Finally got the game (and AC too). Only created a character (female) and talked to one dude before checking out AC. So far lyp syncing is better than I thought judging from the videos.

IMO, the lip syncing is damn good, from what I understand, Biowares engine does it automatically somehow.

They need to work on the actual FACIAL EXPRESSIONS for the next game. Sometimes, they really are amazing. When you accept Ashley into your party, and tell her you're happy to have her, she gives this little smile....stuff like that is wonderful. But the high majority of the lines delivered in the game come with no expression at all really, I know that it's asking a lot, but maybe they could find some way to implement some expression system like their lip one.

Ventrue

Son of Godzilla said:
Oh yea, I forgot about this. On Liara's planet I
totally broke the progression or whatever. I was too annoyed by the Rachni or w/e to want to rush off to the Hot Labs, so I did the side quests in the base and eventually found myself doubling back into the base with all the gaurds now hostile towards me or something. Then I doubled back and found Benezia chillaxing in the middle of nowhere. I'm assuming I missed some major development or something where the dudes turn out to be evil bastards hiding her, but it's really cool how that doesn't matter at all.

Apparantly I suck and the above applies to Novaria because I totally confused Liara with Benezia because all blue aliens look alike.

You went into a restricted area of the base. Although I admit that's probably the way to complete the Rift Labs that makes the least sense.

Big-E

Your squad mates are retarded but I recommend you use Garrus. Give him a good sniper rifle and you wont have to tell him anything.

Mrbob

I never had a major issue with any of the squad mates. There were times where I had them stand their ground with a hold position, but otherwise I let them roam free. It helps if you have your unity maxxed out or your squad mates have shield boost. If they died I could bring them back to life right away nearly maxxed out.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ventrue said:
You went into a restricted area of the base. Although I admit that's probably the way to complete the Rift Labs that makes the least sense.

Yeah, there are actually two ways to do that mission... the "stealth" way or that way.

Feint331

the squad ai is extremely irritating at times. like when you try to take cover they will inadvertently run next to you to try to take the same position which means you get blocked by your own team. basically the whole back wall cover system is offset by the stupid ai. i don't know how many times i've send my team straight into combat just to get the satisfaction of watching them die. they stand in your line of sight, shoot you from behind, block your cover position...sigh... i could go on. i wish they kept the original command system where you could assign individual positions instead of what we got now.

Surfheart

Dark FaZe said:

Hard to believe they were polishing for a year and left the inventory UI in the state it's in.

Top Bottom