• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Game just came in the mail...I've heard some characters are much more difficult to use than others. What's the best character to start with for a relatively smooth playthrough?

Big-E

I just finished my insanity playthrough. I did absolutely nothing but story missions and any sidequests that meant I did not have to backtrack or do anything specific and was nearly able to get to level 59. Once I hit 60 I said I would try to get the other ally achievements but I really don't feel like doing that because I will probably get frustrated.

WHOAguitarninja said:
Game just came in the mail...I've heard some characters are much more difficult to use than others. What's the best character to start with for a relatively smooth playthrough?

I would recommend infiltrator. They can hold their own in combat and have some good abilities.

WHOAguitarninja said:

I honestly don't think it matters that much. Some people are saying that "you can't be the game unless you're soldier class"....which I think is just ridiculous. I've been playing with an infiltrator.....fantastic. I fail to see how any class could really be that bad.

DustinC

I finished Feros last night, which was a blast to play thru as a Renegade. Lots of points there! :lol

Are there more sidequests that open up at Noveria after you've finished the story related stuff there? I haven't hit my ally achievements yet (using Wrex and Tali), but I've been doing all the sidequests that I can find, so I'm curious if I should run back thru Noveria or not.

Walshicus

JayDubya said:
If you have to play through the game six times to get the "Ally" achievements, that's just >_>. In theory, it should have popped sometime after doing the 3 Listening Post quests, but here I am, crankily on Virmire, hoping it'll pop up sometime soon.

Just three times; you can get two ally achievements in the same playthrough. I got my Turian and Soldier ally achievements about half an hour appart from each other, along with my completionist.

Oh, before I go to Virmire does anyone know how to trigger that Starship Troopers like base defence mission with the
Rachni
? I've not got it yet...

Sir Fragula said:
Just three times; you can get two ally achievements in the same playthrough. I got my Turian and Soldier ally achievements about half an hour appart from each other, along with my completionist.

Oh, before I go to Virmire does anyone know how to trigger that Starship Troopers like base defence mission with the
Rachni
? I've not got it yet...

I think you just go to Styx Theta and it triggers a distress call.

Mrbob

NJ x Falkor said:
You will still get your side missions.

This game is awesome, I'm about to start my 3rd playthrough with my same character because I CANNOT FIND THE COLOSSUS X ARMOR!!! Arrgghhh!!

I just got a colossus x armor drop on my 2nd play through at Virmire. Just thought I would share this with you! ;)

knitoe

NJ x Falkor said:
You will still get your side missions.

This game is awesome, I'm about to start my 3rd playthrough with my same character because I CANNOT FIND THE COLOSSUS X ARMOR!!! Arrgghhh!!

Use the save and reload on before Normandy vendor. If his inventory does not change, try completing another step in the main quest and repeat. It's much faster to get the armor this way than from drops / treasure crates. I have gotten all the Colossus X armor for every character except Human Heavy X version.

FFChris

Az987 said:
HEY! , is there anyway to control other characthers like in Kotor? or are u stuck with shepard.

Stuck with Shepard. You can control their actions, such as make them move to locations and use biotics on enemies, but you can't control them directly.

Mindlog

Pfft, Colossus

Predator M X ftw. I'm actually just working through (partly to hit 60) the game to get a pred X and col X for everybody :lol Just like Diablo. I've run into a lot of the stuff, but I haven't spotted Geth armor for Wrex yet :(

Basically, this is not enough Mass Effects. I need more ASAP.

Mrbob

Mindlog said:
Pfft, Colossus

Predator M X ftw. I'm actually just working through (partly to hit 60) the game to get a pred X and col X for everybody :lol Just like Diablo. I've run into a lot of the stuff, but I haven't spotted Geth armor for Wrex yet :(

Basically, this is not enough Mass Effects. I need more ASAP.

Can you find human Predator M X armor? I have it, but its only turian. :( I have Predator M IX armor for my Shepard, but I just switched it out for Colossus X.

JayDubya

Banned
Cool beans. Got "Asari Ally" on the Citadel, immediately past Virmire, either when talking to the drug addict Alliance diplomat or the Terra Firma party politician.

That would pretty much HAVE to be the absolute earliest you can get that achievement, too. I did everything.

Mrbob said:
Can you find human Predator M X armor? I have it, but its only turian. :( I have Predator M IX armor for my Shepard, but I just switched it out for Colossus X.
I found MX human and HX krog sitting in the dude's inventory one time out of the blue.

Mrbob

Cool. I'll have to keep my eye out for it.

I do think there is something borked about the ally achievement. I've used Kaiden and Tali for my entire run this time. I received the Sentinal Ally achievement a long time ago with Kaiden on my 2nd playthrough, but I still haven't with Tali. Are the Ally achievements stackable like the weapon achievements? I remember using Kaiden for a couple missions on my first playthrough, so maybe this is why I got the achievement so early on my second playthrough? I'm on Virmire right now, and Ilos is coming up after. I pretty much have almost every side quest done as well and I still have not had the Quarian ally achievement pop up. Although I read earlier in this thread from someone who said they got both ally acheivements on one playthrough.

I do hope the ally achievement is stackable, as I used Wrex most of my time the first time through and didn't get the Krogan achievement.

Mrbob

While you can't use the other two characters directly, you can use direct their powers on enemies. Although I just give my AI free reign and don't command them too often. I love watching Kaiden lift enemies around and tossing them around.

Ephemeris

JayDubya said:
Okay, so I got Tali's "Quarian Ally" partway through Noveria (I believe it was when I got the administrator removed from power). The only thing I did more with Tali over Liara is "Liara's Dig Site," obviously.

And so now I'd better be getting "Asari Ally" soon or I'm gonna have to choke a bitch.

I don't like these side quests THAT much that I'd want to do every single one again, which is what you essentially have to do in order to GET Asari Ally since she misses all the quests on Eden Prime, Citadel, and her own planet.

If you have to play through the game six times to get the "Ally" achievements, that's just >_>. In theory, it should have popped sometime after doing the 3 Listening Post quests, but here I am, crankily on Virmire, hoping it'll pop up sometime soon.

I got Ash when I came back from getting the data off the guy's PC in Noveria, and got Tali near the end of the stage. I imagine Liara's the hardest to get for reasons stated above. I'm going to test something out on my girlfriend's char; ie, skipping the optional sidequests on the citadel, getting the Asari, and returning to the Citadel to complete those missions if possible.

As for the 6 play-through thing, it's not gonna take so long. You can pretty much get two per playthough. Here's how I'm going to do it:

My first play-through (Paragon): Ash + Tali (complete)
2nd (Renegade) : Wrex and the Turian (in progress; i love their banter :lol )
3rd (My way; Aka 90% Paragon :lol) : Kaiden (f*ck you, kaiden) and Liara.

Mrbob said:
I just got a colossus x armor drop on my 2nd play through at Virmire. Just thought I would share this with you! ;)

Got my first C-X in my first playthrough. Granted, it was for the krogan and I was religiously Ash+Tali. Ironically, as soon as i reached my first shop in the Citadel (2nd play) I found Tali's version. -____-

At this point I think everyone except kaiden and Garrus has one. Well, in the Turian's case, he has the Green Camo armor, and the one Nihlus was wearing (been dying to equip that one ever since my 1st playthrough)

Mrbob said:
Although I just give my AI free reign and don't command them too often.

I keep the setting on defensive in my case. My girlfriend does it your way. Me - being a solider - need to be able to use their powers when and how I want to. She's an adept (with a borrowed sniper-talent) so, meh.

I think I screwed up somehow. Liara used to get all flustered by my very presence, then she told me she want to take things slow, and I'm like, "sure baby doll, I'll be here you're ready for some steamy lesbian inter-species lovin' (set phasers to---tickle fight!)." But now all she wants to talk about is her mother issues and Asari culture. I've completed several assignments, a main story mission, and even taken her along on a side quest to try to get that bitch to open up again, but no dice.

pooteeweet said:
I think I screwed up somehow. Liara used to get all flustered by my very presence, then she told me she want to take things slow, and I'm like, "sure baby doll, I'll be here you're ready for some steamy lesbian inter-species lovin' (set phasers to---tickle fight!)." But now all she wants to talk about is her mother issues and Asari culture. I've completed several assignments, a main story mission, and even taken her along on a side quest to try to get that bitch to open up again, but no dice.

Nah, after you tell her you'll wait until she's ready, you are set. Right before you go to the last planet, you'll have the sexorz.

ckohler

I think you get your chance later and only after completing another main story planet. I'm at the same place as you with her but I'm pretty confident she'll be ready to get hot and bothered after a couple more story planets.

Kaiden already tried to sweet talk my female Shepard but I put a stop to that. The last thing I want to see in this game is that young punk nailing my lovely captain.

Vyse The Legend said:
Nah, after you tell her you'll wait until she's ready, you are set. Right before you go to the last planet, you'll have the sexorz.

You've made me a very happy man, thanks. I could actually do the last planet now, but I've got some odds and ends to finish up around the galaxy first---or can I do those after?

Raven1907

Just completed it.

Best story, and presentation in a video game ever.

If they sort out the niggles like combat, inventory/squad management and technical issues and maintain this phenomenally well told story oh and exclusive to 360 then the sequel may well be the best game ever. In the meantime i want an episode in the summer to prologue the sequel, perhaps a SPOILER

developing relationship(in my case with ashley) and a political mission to clear the humans of any involvement in a plot to wipeout the krogans, because of what happened with wrex (for me anyway), after a krogan attack on an alliance ship. Giving motive, and another reason for the turian council member to question you. Just a small 3 hour mission is all i ask and i'll give you £8

END SPOILER

Mrbob

I hope the level cap is raised and new abilities are offered with DLC on top of the extra missions.

pooteeweet said:
You've made me a very happy man, thanks. I could actually do the last planet now, but I've got some odds and ends to finish up around the galaxy first---or can I do those after?

Nope. Get 'em done before you hit Ilos.

Tieno

Really liking it so far. The presentation feels so grown up and mature, with the story, the dialog, the graphics, the grain filter...it all ads up. Was watching out of the window to this huge city scape in the lower market district in the citadel.
Jumping between this and AC is great, one time you're in the middle ages the next you're in this classic sci-fi world.

Meier

Just beat it.. level 49 (just short of 50 by like 6000 XP) and I didn't even get 'Complete the Majority of the Game' or ANY of the majority sub-achievements even though I had Ashley and Garrus with me on almost every mission. Some serious, serious bullshit there. The only quests I didn't do where finish the surveying (had 4 extra gas, 2 extra heavy metal, but 1 too few rare earth and light metal), 1 turian insignia and 1 prothean data disc left. Also didn't do the Lorik Quinn quest because I already had received the pass to get out of the city before talking to him by screwing over the smuggler. Lorik would never go past the introduction due to this.

So I did all but like 4 quests in the game and I didn't complete the majority of it? Insane. Fucking stupid as hell. But whatever, I loved the game and am pretty impressed with this song playing over the credits right now. Not bad at all.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There are probably quests you missed that just didn't activate.
Some of them only appear if you explore the system yourself...

Meier

firehawk12 said:
There are probably quests you missed that just didn't activate.
Some of them only appear if you explore the system yourself...

I finished 47 Assignments and 18 missions. I explored every planet too.. I dunno, I guess I'll just have to try and be more thorough (not sure how I could be, you dont get to lvl 50 basically on your first play through and not be thorough).

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
just beat it, in game clock said roughly 20 hours i think. absolutely loved it, but right when it started getting super good it felt like it was mostly over (i think cause i ran out of side quests at some point and had to focus on the story). what i want in a sequel? more. make the game longer. ditch lame sidequests. instead, maybe have 2 or 3 pretty long side quests that weave throughout the main plot and game. loved it. possible goty

Meier said:
I finished 47 Assignments and 18 missions. I explored every planet too.. I dunno, I guess I'll just have to try and be more thorough (not sure how I could be, you dont get to lvl 50 basically on your first play through and not be thorough).
True... I did EVERY planet (yes, I even made a list) including a bunch that don't seem to be on the FAQ sites yet and I only just hit level 50 near the end of the game.

That said, I got my 75% complete achievement a LONG way before the end of the game.

Edwood

OK, I'm away for a week, and then I fire up my 360 to do the fall update.

WTF!!!! MOTHERFUCKING MASS EFFECT DOES NOT LAUNCH ANYMORE!!!!!!!

It just sits there. Black screen. I can pull up the dash. But that's it.

FUcking shit, Microsoft. Can you do anything right?

Edwood said:
OK, I'm away for a week, and then I fire up my 360 to do the fall update.

WTF!!!! MOTHERFUCKING MASS EFFECT DOES NOT LAUNCH ANYMORE!!!!!!!

It just sits there. Black screen. I can pull up the dash. But that's it.

FUcking shit, Microsoft. Can you do anything right?

400 dollar Xbox...65 dollar game

They got what they needed from you

/"(

Edwood

I figured it out. Apparently no one at Microsoft thought to have a USB keyboard plugged into the HD-DVD drive's USB port when the fall update was being installed. I had to yank the HD-DVD drive and power supply, wait, plug in only the power, boot up. Shut down, plug in only the HD-DVD drive and vision camera.

Now it works.

Dumb fucks.

op_ivy said:
just beat it, in game clock said roughly 20 hours i think. absolutely loved it, but right when it started getting super good it felt like it was mostly over (i think cause i ran out of side quests at some point and had to focus on the story). what i want in a sequel? more. make the game longer. ditch lame sidequests. instead, maybe have 2 or 3 pretty long side quests that weave throughout the main plot and game. loved it. possible goty
The Cerebus sidequest is huge, I don't think I've even finished it yet.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Meier said:

Some systems only unlock after you trigger the quest or beat a main story planet. So you may need to travel back to see if you've actually seen everything.
That's the only thing I think that's missing from the map - there's no way to check if you've been to a place before or not.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Son of Godzilla said:

What's strange is that nearly every side quest is tied into them in some way. It's almost like a second main story, except without any of the fancy cutscenes or voice acting.

Meier

Son of Godzilla said:

I even finished that one and didn't get it. Oh well. I went back to a save I did before I went on to Vermire since I knew there was no going back. Gonna try and find any missing quests.. no reason to use Ashley and Garrus the whole time again if I don't have to.

I'm five hours into my first playthrough, and although I hate to say it because I love Bioware, I'm pretty disappointed so far. I have to ask two things:

1) Does the framerate ever settle down? Because it's been at least two hours since I saw smooth animations. I usually don't bitch about such things, but two hours of play [tonight, that's how I know how long it's been] is a long time to go without smooth play.

2) Does the combat ever balance properly? Because I'm putting all my exp. points into combat, and I'm a Vanguard, and I'm still having to replay a Boss fight 15-20 times, and I'm getting one-hit-killed pretty often.

Thanks. I guess I'll go back to getting killed by Counselor Troi's minions.

Captain Glanton said:
2) Does the combat ever balance properly? Because I'm putting all my exp. points into combat, and I'm a Vanguard, and I'm still having to replay a Boss fight 15-20 times, and I'm getting one-hit-killed pretty often.

It took me a little while to get used to the combat as a Vanguard as well. Only after about the first story planet (Feros) + Liara's Dig Site that I finally got it figured out. Good Biotic powers to use are throw and lift, so you'll want to put some points into those along with shotgun. Once you get some better equipment, things will get a lot better.

If you went to Noveria first, the boss-fight is notoriously tough.

MaizeRage25 said:
It took me a little while to get used to the combat as a Vanguard as well. Only after about the first story planet (Feros) + Liara's Dig Site that I finally got it figured out. Good Biotic powers to use are throw and lift, so you'll want to put some points into those along with shotgun. Once you get some better equipment, things will get a lot better.

If you went to Noveria first, the boss-fight is notoriously tough.

Well, that explains a lot. Thanks. I had her down for good, but one of her goons sprinted through my allies and ran straight up to me, firing, and ...

What's the verdict on the Pistol as a Vanguard? I've been putting lots of points into it, and it's paid off so far [so much combat is done at a distance, and I just pick folks off], but some reviews said you can get screwed if you put points into the wrong talents early on.

Captain Glanton said:
Well, that explains a lot. Thanks. I had her down for good, but one of her goons sprinted through my allies and ran straight up to me, firing, and ...

What's the verdict on the Pistol as a Vanguard? I've been putting lots of points into it, and it's paid off so far [so much combat is done at a distance, and I just pick folks off], but some reviews said you can get screwed if you put points into the wrong talents early on.

I started putting points into the pistol, but then switched at some point and just poured points into the shotgun instead. In the end, I believe I had 12 in shotgun and maybe 7 or 8 in pistol. This worked out pretty well as I used the shotgun as my main weapon, and then would switch to pistol for more long-range combat.

Okay, I've been fighting this boss for two hours. This has gotten ridiculous. It isn't helped by the fact that every time I come out of the cutscene, the game turns me around the wrong way, so she's shooting me in the side.

Edit: FINALLY! I never want to see those fucking cutscenes again.

I maxed pistols pretty fast. There's not much reason to have more than one rank of shotgun, or enough for Carnage if you really want. Vangaurds strength lies in Adrenaline Boost and spamming Shield/Barrier/Marksman, with low throws and lifts to keep stuff controlled. Just make sure one of your allies has a good First Aid rank and you are golden.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Captain Glanton said:
Okay, I've been fighting this boss for two hours. This has gotten ridiculous. It isn't helped by the fact that every time I come out of the cutscene, the game turns me around the wrong way, so she's shooting me in the side.

Edit: FINALLY! I never want to see those fucking cutscenes again.

Just pause the game with the RB and then aim whereever you want.

Top Bottom