• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Walshicus

Mejilan said:
Just some random nothings that Kaiden says (without prompting) when you get to Liara's level in the Promethian Ruins where you rescue her from.
Ahhh, explains it. I've never had Kaiden in my party since Eden Prime...

Ventrue

Shinjitsu said:
Dragon Age my friend, Dragon Age.:D

I wish, but do you really think that Bioware will suddenly be able to create a huge, expansive world after they've been making 20ish hour games for the past 5 years?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
He looks to those blue-tiled recesses (just like the one Liara is sealed in) and says, "The tiles in those rooms look like they belong in a bathroom." Or something very similar to that. Made me laugh just because it came out of nowhere.

Ventrue

Mejilan said:
He looks to those blue-tiled recesses (just like the one Liara is sealed in) and says, "The tiles in those rooms look like they belong in a bathroom." Or something very similar to that. Made me laugh just because it came out of nowhere.

Also, on Noveria, he says "My mom was right, I should've brought a sweater."

:lol

Mejilan

That's great. Pity I replaced him and am going with an all femme crew. Firinel + Liara + Tali (I've got a thing for Israeli names) ftw!

arhra

The best line of incidental party-member dialogue in the game has to be Liara on Virmire -
"I don't know what's more annoying, the Geth, or the sand in my- uh, nevermind."

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Some of the quotes in this game are funny as hell.

Turian Council Member (after Noveria): "Do all of you humans share an enthusiasm for genocide?"

Sheppard: "Depends on the species... turian"

demifiend

Ventrue said:
I wish, but do you really think that Bioware will suddenly be able to create a huge, expansive world after they've been making 20ish hour games for the past 5 years?

I'm kinda worried about this myself.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Ventrue said:

Sure, but the additional forty hours will all take place on mountainous planetoids or inside mass produced science bases.

I finally beat the game and I thought the last couple of hours and ending were fantastic. Overall there were some issues with it, but it was a great game. Where's the sequel?

I will say that the ally achievements are weird. I had Tali and Wrex in my crew the entire game, aside from Noveria where Lira sat in for Wrex. I completed almost every side quest that I could find (I received the Completionist achievement and the only ones that weren't completed were the collecting/mining ones) and I didn't get the Quarian ally achievement till the end of the game, and didn't get the Krogan one at all. LAME.

VIRMIRE!!!!

Wow. This game just kicked it into high fucking gear.

WOW.

Also, I was right in 2005 when I called it. Seven Soldiers In Space. Best Villains Ever.

:D :D :D :D

Solo

BenjaminBirdie said:
VIRMIRE!!!!

Wow. This game just kicked it into high fucking gear.

WOW.

I told you so! Several pages back I said Virmire would rock your socks. For me, its easily the best part of the game.

Solo said:
I told you so! Several pages back I said Virmire would rock your socks. For me, its easily the best part of the game.

When I had my little pow wow with
Soveirgn
I was like...whoa. This game is really really REALLY good.

Solo

Yes sir! Ive been reading the past 2 pages of this thread in which there has been a large amount of ME bashing, and although many of the criticism are valid, it still hurts my heart, because I felt that ME was so awesome that it made me forget all the little issues. The whole is more than the sum of the parts, for me.

Solo said:
Yes sir! Ive been reading the past 2 pages of this thread in which there has been a large amount of ME bashing, and although many of the criticism are valid, it still hurts my heart, because I felt that ME was so awesome that it made me forget all the little issues. The whole is more than the sum of the parts, for me.

AbsoLUTEly. If you're not completely given over the moment
Saren jumps down, grabs you by throat and then you FUCKING PUNCH HIM IN THE FACE
you are fucking allergic to awesome games. Full stop.

Solo

And that the truth! That scene in particular is made of so much win. Especially when he turns his head to look behind him, and gets rewarded with a Shepard sucker punch.

Solo said:
And that the truth! That scene in particular is made of so much win. Especially when he turns his head to look behind him, and gets rewarded with a Shepard sucker punch.

Playing as a supremely bad ass female Shepard makes it all the better.

And the Virmire Choice? (At the end, not the beginning...hahah Shooting rocks on the beach...anyway...) I seriously sat there for like two minutes. Little Sisters my ass. That was the hardest gaming moral decision I've had to make all year.

Solo

Who did you choose? On BOTH my Paragon and Renegade playthroughs, I
choose Ashley. Bugger off and die, Kaiden!

Solo said:
Who did you choose? On BOTH my Paragon and Renegade playthroughs, I
choose Ashley. Bugger off and die, Kaiden!

I chose Kaiden. I just realized, where does Saren dangle you off of if you pick Ashley? Do you still end up on the roof?

Solo

No. If memory serves, he picks you up right beside
the bomb
. I think. Im strangely blank at the moment on this particular scene.

Draft

http://aycu04.webshots.com/image/38243/2006325268141344016_rs.jpg
http://aycu33.webshots.com/image/36712/2006355898377119860_rs.jpg
http://aycu03.webshots.com/image/36842/2006359207006020976_rs.jpg
http://aycu03.webshots.com/image/36842/2006360727482164236_rs.jpg

I hope they do a DS Mass Effect with this art style :lol

2006359207006020976_rs.jpg

Azih

Yup the game is awesome and Saren is a really really great villian to chase around the galaxy
In Virmire, the way you find out what's happening to him is *awesome* as his dialogue is just so weird that it slowly dawns on you that something is very wrong with him

Azih said:
Yup the game is awesome and Saren is a really really great villian to chase around the galaxy
In Virmire, the way you find out what's happening to him is *awesome* as his dialogue is just so weird that it slowly dawns on you that something is very wrong with him

Yeah, the whole underlevel to the threat is really well done.

hoos30

More wisdom from Kaiden:

While in "Choro's Den" on the Citadel - "That looks like something you see on one of those extranet fetish sites. What?"

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Everyone is complaining about this game over in the "Biggest Disappointments of '07" thread... I'm literally heading out now to the store to pick it up... Is it really that bad??

RSTEIN said:
Everyone is complaining about this game over in the "Biggest Disappointments of '07" thread... I'm literally heading out now to the store to pick it up... Is it really that bad??

It. Is fucking. Awesome.

Like I said. Seven Soldiers in space. You'll appreciate that reset.

SuperBonk

RSTEIN said:
If you're not bothered by frame rate and loved KotOR you should definitely pick it up. Personally, I think the combat is the best I've ever seen in an RPG and this is easily my game of the year.

FFChris

RSTEIN said:

No, it's a fantastic game. Just has a bucketload of problems.

Walshicus

RSTEIN said:
If you like fun and good things, then you'll love Mass Effect.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
BenjaminBirdie said:
It. Is fucking. Awesome.

Like I said. Seven Soldiers in space. You'll appreciate that reset.

Alright, Benjamin. You've never steered me wrong when it comes to comics (except for that one time you tried to convince me that Layla is hotter than Emma Frost... seriously, that's just wrong).

I'll trust you on this one.

RSTEIN said:
Alright, Benjamin. You've never steered me wrong when it comes to comics (except for that one time you tried to convince me that Layla is hotter than Emma Frost... seriously, that's just wrong).

I'll trust you on this one.

You'll never understand what we have.

But seriously, yes, it has technical problems. Yes it has pacing problems at the beginning, but good lord it is such an absolute blast once you get into it.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Playing as a supremely bad ass female Shepard makes it all the better.

And the Virmire Choice? (At the end, not the beginning...hahah Shooting rocks on the beach...anyway...) I seriously sat there for like two minutes. Little Sisters my ass. That was the hardest gaming moral decision I've had to make all year.

To me, the Virmire wasn't even the planet of the "choice." It was the place where
Wrex dies
. Oh man, I was crushed. But I didn't reload and try to get out of it, BECAUSE I was so crushed. If that makes sense.

Later on, I saved
Ashley
. I'm so glad that I did.
She and I were meant for each other.

SuperBonk

Ok, one thing I don't understand about that Virmire sequence.

Is there any possible way to save Wrex? I chose the top dialog option (the one that usually makes things nice, right???) pretty much every time and I wasn't the one that shot him, Ashley was. So, how can you save him?

Needless to say, I kind of wanted Ashley to die after that

Quazar

RSTEIN said:

People on GAF are fucking cry babies. Pick it up.

Mrbob

RSTEIN said:

Skip it if you want to miss out on the best game this year.

SuperBonk said:

Is there any possible way to save Wrex? I chose the top dialog option (the one that usually makes things nice, right???) pretty much every time and I wasn't the one that shot him, Ashley was. So, how can you save him?

Maxed out Charm. I resolved that situation with my first line of dialogue. But then, my Shepard has really lovely eyes.

Uncle

SuperBonk said:

Maxed out charm or intimidate. Like a nuke from orbit.

golem

SuperBonk said:

you need high intimidate or charm..

Mejilan

RSTEIN said:

If you liked Bioware's past offerings, you'll probably find something to enjoy here. People are making a bigger deal out of the technical issues (when compared to earlier games, WHICH ALSO HAD technical issues) because of the action-based gameplay. In their more turn-based games, technical issues have much less of an impact.

Also, as someone who almost succumbed to the horrible pacing in the first 10 or so hours, I'll agree with others and say that it starts to pick up. It's kind of shocking how horrifyingly bad the side-quests are in this game. If you don't have obsessive-compulsive tendencies that require you to clear as many side-quests as possible before continuing with the story, you probably won't be nearly as turned off by them.

SuperBonk

Goddamnit, I only have Charm and Intimidate half way to max. Oh well, I guess I won't mind playing the game a 2nd time. Considering it's amazing and all.

golem

RSTEIN said:
sure you can nitpick the game, and the first few hours are a bit slow.. but the final few acts of the game are the most action packed badassery found in a videogame this year. reading the thread... just about everyone who finished me1 demands me2 immediately and heads will roll if i dont get some kind of DLC fix in the meantime

*Mild spoilers*

Man, So I'm trying to get the Asari ally achievment. I skipped all the citadel stuff I could and went straight to get Liara as fast as I could. I then went back and did all that crap with her in the team. I did every side quest I came across, and now I'm ready to go to Ilos and I STILL don't have the achievment. The only thing I've skipped is that I haven't bothered to go check all the collectathon points on the planets. I would head straight to the mission point and not bother with anything else on the planet.

So can I still get the achievment halfway through Ilos or not? Am I fucked? After I kill Saren do I have a good shot at the achievment?

The most annoying thing is that I've been going for the Quarian ally achievment as well. The only thing that seperates Tali and Liara quest wise was the mission to get Liara from the ruins. Now I got the Quarian Ally achievment BEFORE Virmire, and after completeing Virmire I STILL did not have the Asari ally achievment. Thus meaning that the Prothean Dig mission somehow counts for more than all of Virmire. Which is fucking retarded.

Mrbob

Not quite sure yet, as I still need to get the Asari Ally achievement. My guess is that you are going to need some of those missions on Ilos to finish it out since you missed a whole planet with her.

I would just make a manual save point before you go to Ilos, and if this doesn't net you the achievement you can go back and look for some other ones.

arhra

golem said:
you need high intimidate or charm..
It's easier if you've done
Wrex's quest to retrieve his family armour
, too.

So can I still get the achievment halfway through Ilos or not?
I've heard of people unlocking it midway through Ilos (and even in the closing scenes just before the credits), so it's still possible. You've missed some sidequests somewhere, though, as i unlocked it quite a bit before then.

Top Bottom