• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Draft

The Baldur's Gate people are worse than Fallout fans at this point. At least Fallout fans had the decency to sequester themselves away at NMA. Baldur's Gate evangelists have been preaching at the masses since KOTOR came out and just bitch smacked their little DnD nerd romp into obsolescence.

I'd pity you if you weren't so contemptible.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Chairman Yang said:
It sort of does. The main story has some high points (especially near the end), but the sidequests just get worse and worse.

Sadly, the frequency of Codex entries becomes less and less as the game progresses. I enjoyed them too, but don't expect many new ones.

That's a shame. Just wrapped up the anticlimactic Helena Blake quest. I was wrong about her needed killing, but I was RIGHT about the recycled warehouse/base. I did discover a neat glitch though. Since I resolved this peacefully, the mercenaries in the base were non-killables. Unless, of course, they're standing next to too many explosive containers. I don't think I got any experience for the kill, but I did get some new equipment! :lol Not a total loss though, as at least I discovered three of these increasingly lame survey points.

I don't understand why some of these bullshit points can be surveyed from orbit with a quick button press, while others require that I land and drive the unwieldy tank known as the Mako through desolate, drab, and downright boring (square-shaped) planets filled with annoyingly spikey terrain and frame-rate destroying weather effects. *yawn*

Now. Feros, Noveria, or that Matriarch bitch's daughter. Does it matter what order I do them in? I'm leaning towards doing the daughter thing now, and saving the two planets for last.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Mejilan said:
Now. Feros, Noveria, or that Matriarch bitch's daughter. Does it matter what order I do them in? I'm leaning towards doing the daughter thing now, and saving the two planets for last.

Yeah, get the daughter first, because you'll be able to use her for Noveria and get some interesting interactions that way.

Kabouter

Mejilan said:
I'd do it in that order yeah.

Mejilan

Ah. I should have known that she'd be the last recruitable party member. Good to see that my instincts were correct!

Another glitch. Wrecked my Mako. I killed that thresher maw, but not before it hit me once and brought me to critical. So my poor vehicle was a-smokin' and a-sparkin'.

I somehow managed to leave the smoking and sparking behind. So even though I was critical, my vehicle looked to be in top form. When I circled around to see what happened, I noticed that a "smoke and spark map" in the same shape of the Mako was magically suspended above the ground where my vehicle was parked. :lol

Chairman Yang

My favourite glitch was when I was in the middle of a conversation in the Citadel and the person I was talking with magically floated 10 feet up. The best part was when Shepard's head automatically tracked the person, looked upward, and continued talking like nothing had happened.

arhra

I don't know what the hell you people are doing to get all these crazy glitches :lol.

I've racked up all the achievements, and the worst i've seen is accidentally throwing people through walls and one time where i broke the scripting on Noveria by doing things out of order, leaving me with an unresponsive NPC who popped up a completely blank conversation wheel when i tried to talk to him...

beerbelly

Banned
Chairman Yang said:
My favourite glitch was when I was in the middle of a conversation in the Citadel and the person I was talking with magically floated 10 feet up. The best part was when Shepard's head automatically tracked the person, looked upward, and continued talking like nothing had happened.

A lot of people experienced this, including me. The pics of it are somewhere in this thread :lol

Ventrue

Chairman Yang said:
It's a dull game elevated by hype, ignorance of better alternatives, and forgetfulness of Bioware's past glories.

I didn't enjoy a game, therefore everyone who likes it is an ignorant, unwashed savage. There is no such thing as personal taste.

I love BGII; I've played it four times in the past few months. But seriously, that game had major flaws as well.

Chairman Yang

Ventrue said:
I didn't enjoy a game, therefore everyone who likes it is an ignorant, unwashed savage. There is no such thing as personal taste.

I didn't mean to imply that. Sorry if it came across that way--my words do seem poorly chosen. I just have trouble figuring out what people see in the game, because as far as I can tell everything it does has been done better in older games.

Ventrue said:
I love BGII; I've played it four times in the past few months. But seriously, that game had major flaws as well.

Which ones?

Pellham

Banned
I tried to nitpick Chairman Yang's review, but it's well written enough that i'll just chalk it up to "whatever you say, dude".

I still loved Mass Effect just like I loved Bioware's previous games (Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, etc.) and most of the graphical, gameplay, and story flaws did not bother me enough to shake that love.

Mejilan

Didn't the now defunct Black Isle Studios develop the BG games using Bioware's Infinity Engine? I thought Bioware only did the Icewind Dale games...

arhra said:
I don't know what the hell you people are doing to get all these crazy glitches :lol.

I'm not even trying! They're just... materializing! Funny stuff. I'd love to see the NPC fly away in a conversation though. That's gotta be amazing.

arhra

Mejilan said:
Didn't the now defunct Black Isle Studios develop the BG games using Bioware's Infinity Engine? I thought Bioware only did the Icewind Dale games...
Wrong way round. Bioware did BG/BG2, Black Isle did Icewind Dale and Planescape.

Just reading this thread is depressing. My 360 got the RROD right after my first playthrough. I want to go back and play it again so bad. Hurry up and fix my box MS.

Ventrue

Chairman Yang said:
I didn't mean to imply that. Sorry if it came across that way. I just have trouble figuring out what people see in the game, because as far as I can tell everything it does has been done better in older games.

Fair enough, sorry for jumping on you. EDIT: I see in it:
-Good (for Bioware) combat
-A cool/intriguing setting
-Interesting party members (most of them)
-A fairly interesting villain (I'd say second to Jon Irenicus in 'not being a reasonless loon' terms. And even he had lines like "All I want is REVENGE! AND...I...WILL...HAVE...IT!" and wanted to become a god...)
-Good graphics
-Cool looking worlds
-Great dialog system.
-Awesome cutscenes/cinematic qualities
-Great music
-Decent plot

Which ones?

Well, this is kind of off the top of my head here but:

-Bioware has never had good combat. I've loved their games but even as far as BGII it wasn't great. It boiled down to 'click on enemy' or 'click on spell and then click on enemy.' The combat also had a lot of luck-based stuff. Many enemies had powers that were never explained or magically worked way better for them than for you. Some enemies had unexplained powers that could essentially make you lose the game instantly. See: Kangaxx the Demi-Lich (well, Imprisonment was explained, but the slayer immunity to it was never mentioned). Unless you knew far more than the game ever bothered to tell you, it became "Let's see if he uses his game-breaking ability this time. Oh, he did. Better reload." Kangaxx is pretty easy once you know what to do (as in, consult the internet or spend hours and hours of frustration), but the game was filled with these lame "You die instantly for no reason" encounters.

-MIND FLAYERS.

-"Save the Baby" vs "I'm a raving axe murderer." Bioware may have a bar for this now, but their choices were very much set up like this even in BGII. Sure, there were some cool middle-ground options, just like in their modern games. But, often, the choices were unquestionable good or sociopathic evil. It's hard for me to give specific examples here, because how the options are written is very important in this. Anyway, you often had the choice of saving someone or something or killing that same thing for money. But the rewards for doing evil things weren't as nice as the good path anyway, so you really got screwed there.

-As much as I like the characters of BGII, a lot of them didn't have much to say. It could get fairly lonely doing sidequests in chapter 6, as most of the 'popup' dialogs with your characters was over. Same problem in other Bioware games (except now they stand around in the ship with nothing to say).

-Frustrating romances. You could say something that was mysteriously the 'wrong' option; but this was not always made immediately clear by their reactions. Sometimes they'd get upset no matter what you said. Sometimes they'd not get upset no matter what you said. The way in which the romances were portioned out into 'popup' dialogs meant that it was easy to find yourself in a situation where you realise they haven't talked to you in three hours and you've long since screwed up your romance with no chance of reloading.

-You (I think it was, anyway) said something on this page about how paragon vs renegade means you have no choice but to complete the mission, which does not give you real options. There was no option to just say 'screw it' to the main quest in BGII either. Sure, you can argue personal motivation (which could be said in ME too) but what about rescuing Imoen? What if I just don't like her? Why is my character forced to do it? It is reasonable to assume that the main character is motivated to proceed with the main plot.

-The interface could be very unwieldy, particularly in spell casting (now, where is that one spell that my level 40 cleric/mage has?).

-The 'stronghold' system was half-baked and should've been left out. They had no effect on the outside world and had little benefit for you. While some were worthwhile on their own for the quests involved (D'Arnise Keep, Playhouse), others were a colossal waste of time. The thieves guild one had two very very very short quests and a repetitive dialog minigame.

-Which bring me to my next point, money was worthless. Bioware loves doing this for some reason.

-Also, there were several annoying oversights. One that always bugged me is that it is pretty much impossible to hold on to the thieves guild. You had to pay a quota every 5 days (after 10, you lose it). However, the ship to Brynnlaw alone takes like 7 days! And then you have to go through Brynnlaw, Spellhold and the Underdark to go pay your quota.

-Although not a problem for me, the character creation and advancement could be intimidating for some people. Many abilities or spells were poorly explained and it was not very clear what some of the other choices did either. It was very easy to create a really crappy character if you were a casual gamer.

-Hendak (pet peeve)

-Crom Faeyer. Stupid.

-Not a lot of the game was voice acted. Not a big thing and fair enough for the time, but it's there. Also, the voice sets for the main character were awful.

-Also, a lot of spells were absolutely worthless.

This is just 'steam of consciousness,' so this isn't a comprehensive list. Anyway, I am a huge fan of this game and it is hard for me to criticise, but honestly it isn't the be-all and end-all of gaming. I honestly don't think that Bioware has changed much over the years; merely the industry has changed around them and the rising technical complexity means they can't churn out quite as much content. I think that both ME and BGII have their flaws and their strengths, but for both I look past the flaws because I am so very impressed by the strengths.

Anyway, back to playing KOTOR.

Chairman Yang

Hmm...these are pretty valid criticisms as a whole, although I wouldn't say most of them are really that major. There are a few I want to take issue with, though:

Ventrue said:
Well, this is kind of off the top of my head here but:

-Bioware has never had good combat. I've loved their games but even as far as BGII it wasn't great. It boiled down to 'click on enemy' or 'click on spell and then click on enemy.' The combat also had a lot of luck-based stuff. Many enemies had powers that were never explained or magically worked way better for them than for you. Some enemies had unexplained powers that could essentially make you lose the game instantly. See: Kangaxx the Demi-Lich (well, Imprisonment was explained, but the slayer immunity to it was never mentioned). Unless you knew far more than the game ever bothered to tell you, it became "Let's see if he uses his game-breaking ability this time. Oh, he did. Better reload." Kangaxx is pretty easy once you know what to do (as in, consult the internet or spend hours and hours of frustration), but the game was filled with these lame "You die instantly for no reason" encounters.

I was definitely a D&D nerd when I played the game, but I really didn't see these problems. Everything had a reason and virtually every enemy tactic had an appropriate counter. The real problem is that BG2 isn't all that accessible to non-D&D players, and that's definitely an issue.

Ventrue said:
-As much as I like the characters of BGII, a lot of them didn't have much to say. It could get fairly lonely doing sidequests in chapter 6, as most of the 'popup' dialogs with your characters was over. Same problem in other Bioware games (except now they stand around in the ship with nothing to say).

To be fair, BG2 also had an assload more content than Mass Effect. Characters are naturally going to run out of stuff to say when you play for 100 hours instead of 20-30. In absolute terms, I think there was more character dialogue in the game than in any of Bioware's other efforts.

Ventrue said:
-Frustrating romances. You could say something that was mysteriously the 'wrong' option; but this was not always made immediately clear by their reactions. Sometimes they'd get upset no matter what you said. Sometimes they'd not get upset no matter what you said. The way in which the romances were portioned out into 'popup' dialogs meant that it was easy to find yourself in a situation where you realise they haven't talked to you in three hours and you've long since screwed up your romance with no chance of reloading.

Just like real life am i rite? Seriously though, at least with the romance I pursued (Viconia) I found the dialogue options pretty logical.

Ventrue said:
-You (I think it was, anyway) said something on this page about how paragon vs renegade means you have no choice but to complete the mission, which does not give you real options. There was no option to just say 'screw it' to the main quest in BGII either. Sure, you can argue personal motivation (which could be said in ME too) but what about rescuing Imoen? What if I just don't like her? Why is my character forced to do it? It is reasonable to assume that the main character is motivated to proceed with the main plot.

The difference between ME and BG2 in this regard is that BG2 had tons of interesting content beyond the main path, whereas ME didn't. In BG2, you could spend like 75% of your time pursuing non-main quest related stuff that was just as high-quality. In ME, that number was more like 25%.

I also found BG2 let me finish the main quest in a more varied way than ME.

Ventrue said:
-The 'stronghold' system was half-baked and should've been left out. They had no effect on the outside world and had little benefit for you. While some were worthwhile on their own for the quests involved (D'Arnise Keep, Playhouse), others were a colossal waste of time. The thieves guild one had two very very very short quests and a repetitive dialog minigame.

I only did the Mage one, but I remember it being fun and giving me some cool spells. The stronghold system was more a flavour thing than a fundamental gameplay element--but there's nothing wrong with that. More flavour is always welcome.

Ventrue said:
-Although not a problem for me, the character creation and advancement could be intimidating for some people. Many abilities or spells were poorly explained and it was not very clear what some of the other choices did either. It was very easy to create a really crappy character if you were a casual gamer.

Yeah, I didn't notice this because I was a D&D player, but it's a definite problem.

Ventrue said:
-Not a lot of the game was voice acted. Not a big thing and fair enough for the time, but it's there. Also, the voice sets for the main character were awful.

I don't mind this, even in modern games. Give me a few key voice-acted lines and scenes, and my mind will fill in the rest. I can see how others would be irritated, though.

Ventrue said:
-Also, a lot of spells were absolutely worthless.

True, but having them there didn't really detract from the game. Again, this is an accessibility thing. For normal players, the flood of sub-par spells would add confusion and maybe cause their character to become gimped. For D&D players, the spells added variety and flavour.

Ventrue said:
This is just 'steam of consciousness,' so this isn't a comprehensive list. Anyway, I am a huge fan of this game and it is hard for me to criticise, but honestly it isn't the be-all and end-all of gaming. I honestly don't think that Bioware has changed much over the years; merely the industry has changed around them and the rising technical complexity means they can't churn out quite as much content.

Yeah, that's probably the big issue. Bioware admitted as much (I can't find a link, though). The thing is, no one's forcing them to pour their resources into, say, facial animation instead of quest design. Content creation costs are higher, but there are still plenty of games that manage to have tons of it. Look at The Witcher, for example.

Ventrue

Chairman Yang said:
Yeah, that's probably the big issue. Bioware admitted as much (I can't find a link, though). The thing is, no one's forcing them to pour their resources into, say, facial animation instead of quest design. Content creation costs are higher, but there are still plenty of games that manage to have tons of it. Look at The Witcher, for example.

Well, I only played about 10 minutes of the Witcher, but it seems fairly clear to me that the cut scenes, sound, graphics, dialog are all a lot better in Mass Effect. Bioware is just going down a more concentrated path rather than an expansive world. It means the game is shorter, but it's not really unreasonably short.

I'd like Dragon Age to be more expansive though, maybe they will manage it.

JeStaH

My guess is Bioware simply ran out of time and resources for the side quests. You can see it in the repetive use of assets on most of the planets.

If you think about how much they've actually done for this first game of a trilogy. All the voice actiing, animation and attention to detail in the graphics for the main quest. I'm not at all surprised if they just didn't have the manpower to put as much effort into the side quests.

Chairman Yang said:
Just like real life am i rite? Seriously though, at least with the romance I pursued (Viconia) I found the dialogue options pretty logical.

Try Jaheira. Boning that woman was harder than any lay I had in real life, I swear.

I really don't think the sidequests were intentional, the project seemed to have a troubled development, one of the early trailer (the Citadel one) features an environment in its second half that isn't in the finished game

Mejilan

Speaking of ME bugs...

I'm getting to the end of Therum (which has been quite cool so far, certainly WAY better than the other design-ran-through-the-random-generator planets so far) and I got to a part where the music picked up and two massive rock formations suggest that I should get out of the Mako and continue on foot.

I'm assuming, at least, that I wasn't SUPPOSED to figure out a way to squeeze the Mako through there, right? :lol

Edit - Whoa. Definitely a bug. The bossy-boss showed up, and unleashed a bunch of Geth soldiers... but now they're all glitched up and won't fight. Won't move. Just stand and die.

Edit 2 - Or, I guess, not a boss. Where did he go? :(

Azih

Honestly I'd blame a lot of the issues that ME has on Epic. UE3 has been.. challenging for everyone who has used it. I think Bioware spent most of the time just getting enough core features up and running to build a good game and convey the main plot.

And so I don't think we should compare ME to BGII, the more accurate comparison is ME to BGI. Brand new technology, brand new combat system, creating a brand new game universe from scratch etc.

Now that this is done Bioware should do with MEII what they did with BGII. Take an extremely solid foundation, fix up the technical issues (loading times, texture pop in, team AI path finding), clear up the gameplay and interface problems (inventory needs major overhaul, The Mako SUCKS), and spend ALL the rest of their time just gowning to town on side quests, team quests, class specific quests, a larger citadel, other cities, more Renegade/Paragon quests.

Taking more cues from tactical shooters for the combat would be great too.

Azih

Mejilan said:
Speaking of ME bugs...

I'm getting to the end of Therum (which has been quite cool so far, certainly WAY better than the other design-ran-through-the-random-generator planets so far) and I got to a part where the music picked up and two massive rock formations suggest that I should get out of the Mako and continue on foot.

I'm assuming, at least, that I wasn't SUPPOSED to figure out a way to squeeze the Mako through there, right? :lol

Edit - Whoa. Definitely a bug. The bossy-boss showed up, and unleashed a bunch of Geth soldiers... but now they're all glitched up and won't fight. Won't move. Just stand and die.

Edit 2 - Or, I guess, not a boss. Where did he go? :(

You just fight the soldiers, geth drop ships don't really stay around

JeStaH said:
My guess is Bioware simply ran out of time and resources for the side quests. You can see it in the repetive use of assets on most of the planets.

If you think about how much they've actually done for this first game of a trilogy. All the voice actiing, animation and attention to detail in the graphics for the main quest. I'm not at all surprised if they just didn't have the manpower to put as much effort into the side quests.

A writer said as much on the forums. He said he and the others would love to write their hands off for more content, but at the end of the day only so much can be programmed into the game. Lip syncing dialog, creating new environments, etc all take quite a bit of time. They said that there was quite a dilemma in terms of side quests/galaxy maps being in the game or simply having larger story planets. I think if you react on impulse, you'd probably have wanted more story planets. However, for what they needed to do to setup a trilogy and have things in place, the galaxy map system was what was needed.

There are tons of worlds that aren't possible to land on. Now that the team has been able to lay down a foundation it will be a lot easier to add in more story content and gameplay elements in general. For downloadable content its as simple as creating deeper worlds with more content and then making them capable of being landed on. I expect a LOT more from ME2. In fact, I'm that much more excited because its the first direct sequel to their games since BG2.

I can't wait for the new novel this summer. Some of the hints that were dropped included humanities further searches into biotics. It'll be incredibly easy to add in further classes, skills, etc as a result.

JeStaH

Dark FaZe said:
A writer said as much on the forums. He said he and the others would love to write their hands off for more content, but at the end of the day only so much can be programmed into the game. Lip syncing dialog, creating new environments, etc all take quite a bit of time. They said that were was quite a dilemma in terms of side quests/galaxy maps being in the game or simply having larger story planets. I think if you react on impulse, you'd probably have wanted more story planets. However, for what they needed to do to setup a trilogy and have things in place, the galaxy map system was what was needed.

There are tons of worlds that aren't possible to land on. Now that the team has been able to lay down a foundation it will be a lot easier to add in more story content and gameplay elements in general. For downloadable content its as simple as creating deeper worlds with more content and then making them capable of being landed on. I expect a LOT more from ME2. In fact, I'm that much more excited because its the first direct sequel to their games since BG2.

I can't wait for the new novel this summer. Some of the hints that were dropped included humanities further searches into biotics. It'll be incredibly easy to add in further classes, skills, etc as a result.

I'm glad they have the framework in place now. I can't wait for ME2! This game is like crack to me right now. I can't put it down. I don't even want play games I haven't tried yet like Assasin's creed until I get all the achievements. I'm close but yet so far away...

RumFore

Banned
I finally finished and its my personal game of the year and in my top 5 all time favorite games. I loved nearly everything about it to the point I want Mass Effect underwear. Just amazing from the beginning to the end and I actually enjoyed the gun play in this over Gears of War. Now I'm going to replay it as a renege and read up on my codex.

Also I don't think I can play another game without my custom character. I got so damn attached to her its border line obsession.

My black Jane Shepard. I made her to see how deep the customization system went and wasn't going to keep her but I'm glad I did. She meshes in like the creators made her them self. The voice even matched her perfectly.
822lbgn.jpg

Mejilan

Meh. My Firinel Shepard is much better than that. The black hair and striking blue eyes... compelling.

Azih said:
You just fight the soldiers, geth drop ships don't really stay around

I think the "boss" I saw in that intro vid was the walker. It just looks so much smaller when you're on the Mako. Haha.

I wasn't talking about the drop ship, which only showed up once or twice much earlier in the stage. I'm talking about right at the very end, before entering the actual ruins. I managed to get there on the Mako, when the game was trying to force you to do that last leg on foot. Getting there on the Mako breaks the AI in that last encounter. Woops.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
I should be getting this as a gift on Tuesday. What is the best class to play as for people who do not play a lot of RPGs?

2DMention

Banned
Haven't read any reviews or impressions. The social aspects of the game sound interesting, but is it a TPS/FPS with RPG flava? If so, I'll pass.

Mooreberg said:
I should be getting this as a gift on Tuesday. What is the best class to play as for people who do not play a lot of RPGs?

Vanguard. Level up your combat skills, and you'll be a pistol-sniping, shotgun-blasting beast about halfway through the game.

I would also suggest Vanguard. The shotgun is a beast at close range, and later in the game becomes more of a slow firing rifle than a shotgun. Its between that and the Soldier class for obtaining a comfortable weapon balance. The skills aren't to hard to grasp either. Defensive abilities, and a few offensive abilities that are easy to get the hang of and their effects are immediately apparent. It was my first class and I found combat really enjoyable. I'm on my second playthrough now as an Infiltrator, and for me it just doesn't compare.

One thing I'm hoping ME2 brings is more of a reliance on class skills than weapon abilities. I'd still like weapon specialization to an extent purely for diversity, but I wish that all classes had light weapon skills for all weapons regardless of class. For example a Vanguard is capable of maxing out shotgun points and gaining more shotgun abilities as a result, and perhaps high level weapon mods can only go to a certain leveled weapon, but that Vanguard can also level any other weapons to a maximum of six points or something like that, just for more options.

Give class skills more worth. For example the Krogans dashing blow seen a few times in the game could be a Vanguard special ability. Or perhaps something like an enhanced Carnage with extreme stopping power at the expense of shield energy or health points. Maybe an Engineer is capable of dropping Geth like portable shields, and customizing weapon modifications. Just things to make classes a little more interesting in terms of strategy on the battlefield.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I'm sitting here, listening to the end credits right now.

So, the verdict:

+ The main story -- it's awesome. Love all the background stuff.
+ The huge world
+ The battle system, not as dull as your typical RPG
+ The graphics
+ THE FUCKING MUSIC!

- The sidequest gets dull after a while and few stand out.
- The huge world is kind of repetitive.
- The battlesystem is really stiff and feels like a very retarded GoW.
- Enemy AI sucks. They just rush forward or shoot from a million miles away.
- Slowdowns, pop-ups, you name it and Mass Effects got it. Not to mention how much time you spend in elevators and watching loading screens.

All in all it's still a great game, mostly thanks to the main story and some battles at the end of the game. I think it does a better impression when you do only a bunch of the sidequest, because then you won't get into the whole repetitive stage which starts to show after a while.

Mejilan

If I "hook up" with one of my crew members, does that close off potential love plot lines later in the game? Meaning, should I hook up with my first opportunity, or wait?

Phthisis

Mejilan said:
If I "hook up" with one of my crew members, does that close off potential love plot lines later in the game? Meaning, should I hook up with my first opportunity, or wait?

There's a set period where you get it on, if that's what you're asking. Who you get it on with is entirely up to how you interact with the mate options on the Normandy. But it always happens at a certain point in the story.

Mejilan

Hmm, well, it seems like I have one option right now (after getting Liara, before either Feros or Novendia), but that's it. Just the one.

Does this have any real affect on anything?

arhra

The romances build up via conversations between each story planet, finally climaxing (... pun totally not intended, i swear...) at a certain fixed point late in the story. You can't just jump into bed instantly with whoever you choose ;) Just follow the "getting to know you"-type conversations with your potential partners (Liara, and either Kaiden or Ashley depending on your character's sex), and don't be dicks to them, and it'll all work itself out. Oh, and at times they'll confront you about rumours of you hooking up with the other option, at which point you can make a choice that will end that romance thread, but if you string them along long enough, at least as a male character, they'll eventually both confront you together and force you to make a choice (
and Ashley will refuse to even entertain the idea of a threesome, at least not with an alien, so don't bother trying, unless you really just want Liara anyway
).

Mejilan

Well, since I just got Liara, it isn't an option, but Kaiden seems VERY interested in my Shepard. I haven't tried it yet, but it really seemed like they were both ready to just jump into bed right then and there. Lemme check.

Phthisis

Mejilan said:
Well, since I just got Liara, it isn't an option, but Kaiden seems VERY interested in my Shepard. I haven't tried it yet, but it really seemed like they were both ready to just jump into bed right then and there. Lemme check.

Are you sure you want to soil your Shepard with the likes of Mr. Kaiden "Those tiles remind of a bathroom wall!" Alenko?

Chittagong

Gold Member
completed the game, 14h game time, around 20 actual I think.

Wondering if any other game matches the immersion or story of this - Oblivion maybe? Because I'm not really interested in replaying the game or doing the side quests (did few, not too good ones).

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I played ME for like 27hours.

Anyhow, Oblivions main story sucks so bad you don't even wanna know, and once you're through the first one or two Oblivion gates in the game you know you don't wanna visit any more of those utterly boring levels. The sidequests are usually kind of boring and I mainly found the t.hief and assassin guild quests entertaining. Put in a good 40 hours into it though, so I guess it did some stuff right.

Mejilan

Phthisis said:
Are you sure you want to soil your Shepard with the likes of Mr. Kaiden "Those tiles remind of a bathroom wall!" Alenko?

I misinterpreted a possible conversation response. The riding of the Kaiden is not to be. Yet. :lol

And I just finished the quest with the bathroom tile comment. Kinda had me shaking my head, just came out of nowhere. :D

Mejilan

Just some random nothings that Kaiden says (without prompting) when you get to Liara's level in the Promethian Ruins where you rescue her from.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Draft said:
Oh boy, another one of the Baldur's Gate faithful. You guys should just form a suicide cult, already. The world has moved on. Your time is past. There's nothing left for you here.

Dragon Age my friend, Dragon Age.:D

Top Bottom