• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

People are calling this game a dissapointment? If people are hating on ME because of the technical hiccups, they need to be shot out an airlock. Those are minor quibbles compared to the awesome spectacle that ME is as a whole. It's like complaining about getting a BJ from Jessica Biel because she wasn't completely naked during the act. Who the fuck cares? Jessica Biel is polishing your knob!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The game's got more dragging it down than just technical issues, but those complaints are more valid in this game than in prior Bioware efforts due to the action-based nature of the gameplay. That said, a good game CAN get past such issues, and while it was in doubt yesterday, I'm starting to think that Mass Effect will get past those problems. For me, at least.

I can understand why others might not agree though.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I feel like my renegade uber-bitch Sheppard was soiled by letting Kaidan hit...

Steveko

PedroLumpy said:
*Mild spoilers*

Man, So I'm trying to get the Asari ally achievment. I skipped all the citadel stuff I could and went straight to get Liara as fast as I could. I then went back and did all that crap with her in the team. I did every side quest I came across, and now I'm ready to go to Ilos and I STILL don't have the achievment. The only thing I've skipped is that I haven't bothered to go check all the collectathon points on the planets. I would head straight to the mission point and not bother with anything else on the planet.

Same issue here with the Assari ally achievement. Even did the collectathons, but no luck in the end. Was fairly sure I'd get it on Ilos, but no joy.

I also held off on the Citadel quest until she was in the party. Fairly sure I was well over 50 side and main quests combined for her at the end so not sure where I went wrong. Great game though!

RSTEIN said:
Everyone is complaining about this game over in the "Biggest Disappointments of '07" thread... I'm literally heading out now to the store to pick it up... Is it really that bad??

The game is somewhat dissapointing in certain respects. An inventory system from hell, features in previews that didn't make it into the final game (upgrading the Mako), a bevy of technical issues, braindead AI, poor sidequest design, and the huge world being quite limited in reality. I could definitely see how some people could list in that thread.

That said, I've come to look past Mass Effect's negative idiosyncrasies for the most part.

arhra said:
I've heard of people unlocking it midway through Ilos (and even in the closing scenes just before the credits), so it's still possible. You've missed some sidequests somewhere, though, as i unlocked it quite a bit before then.

Hmmm, maybe skipping those collectathons hurt more than I thought they would. Well, I hope it works out, because then I can finally start the character who's going to go through Hardcore/Insanity modes.

People in other thread said:
Mako driving sucks

Man I absolutely do not understand the driving hate. The thing is perfectly simple, aim camera, Mako controls are relative to that direction. The thing about the Mako is the whole aiming cursor moving below your plane of fire. That's annoying.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
RE: Ally achievements.

I unlocked both Kaidan and Ashley's before finishing Feros(Virmire and beyond still remains). I did do a bunch of sidequests from the Citadel and pretty much every Noveria one, but I did not complete the planet collection quests. Pretty much any sidequest that is logged I went for before doing the major planets, but they were all from Citadel, transmissions, or Noveria/Feros. I didn't think i would get any of this that early, but Kaidan/Ashley are easiest given how early you recruit them.

I also unlocked the Completist achievement as well at the same time, which is a bit weird given how much of the game seems left to do.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Alright, I'm back from the store :D

I traded in R6:V (CoD 4 has replaced it), Forza 2 (sorry Che), and Gears of War (bye Marcus, I'll always love you).

I'm about to begin my adventure. I can't wait!

Ventrue

PedroLumpy said:
*Mild spoilers*

Man, So I'm trying to get the Asari ally achievment. I skipped all the citadel stuff I could and went straight to get Liara as fast as I could. I then went back and did all that crap with her in the team. I did every side quest I came across, and now I'm ready to go to Ilos and I STILL don't have the achievment. The only thing I've skipped is that I haven't bothered to go check all the collectathon points on the planets. I would head straight to the mission point and not bother with anything else on the planet.

So can I still get the achievment halfway through Ilos or not? Am I fucked? After I kill Saren do I have a good shot at the achievment?

The most annoying thing is that I've been going for the Quarian ally achievment as well. The only thing that seperates Tali and Liara quest wise was the mission to get Liara from the ruins. Now I got the Quarian Ally achievment BEFORE Virmire, and after completeing Virmire I STILL did not have the Asari ally achievment. Thus meaning that the Prothean Dig mission somehow counts for more than all of Virmire. Which is fucking retarded.

You have missed something. It is possible to get before Virmire. Look around at every system to see if you missed one. A lot open up mid game and don't give you a quest until you actually go there. If not, you may have missed a sidequest on one of the main worlds or the Citadel.

It is POSSIBLE to get the achievement on Ilos, but there is a low margin for error.

You could post/PM your quest log.

*APOLOGIES FOR BIG POST*

Ventrue said:
You have missed something. It is possible to get before Virmire. Look around at every system to see if you missed one. A lot open up mid game and don't give you a quest until you actually go there. If not, you may have missed a sidequest on one of the main worlds or the Citadel.

It is POSSIBLE to get the achievement on Ilos, but there is a low margin for error.

You could post/PM your quest log.

I just did Ilos and I STILL didn't get it. That makes Liaras planet worth more than Virmire and Ilos COMBINED.

I did start looking through random systems for quests right before my original post, and I did find one new one, but I only went to maybe 10 systems before I posted here about it and did Ilos etc etc...

Anyway, I'll get back to that I guess ..... I'll edit in my quest log in a bit, if you guys can save me time all the better.

*Journal, Assignments tab only*

All collection quests still incomplete

Completed
UNC: Lost Freighter
Citadel: Negotiator's Request
Virmire: Kirrahe's Team rescued (I would have thought that would be in the mission tab)
Virmire: Wrex is convinced (Ditto)
UNC: Beseiged Base
UNC: Dead Scientists
Noveria: Espionage
Noveria: Smuggling
Tali's Pilgrimage
UNC: Colony of the Dead
UNC: Geth Incursions
UNC: Exogeni Facility
Feros: Data Recovery
Feros: Water Restoration
Feros: Power Cells
Feros: Varren Meat
Feros: Geth in the Tunnels
UNC: Espionage Probe
Wrex: Family Armor
Garrus: Dr. Saleon is Dead
UNC: Hades' Dogs
UNC: Cerebus
Citadel: Planting a Bug
Citadel: Schells' Scanner Given Away
Ctiadel: (<-- That's how it's spelt in the Journal, no joke) Jahleed and Chorban
Citadel: Signal Tracking
Citadel: Rita's Sister is Safe
Citadel: The Fan (Never finished it, just can't go back to the Citadel)
Citadel: Xeltan Convinced
Citadel: Presidium Prophet
Citadel: Family Matter
Citadel: Asari Consort
UNC: Major Kyle
UNC: Hostile Takeover
UNC: Hostage
UNC: Privateers
UNC: Missing Marines
Citadel: Scan the Keepers
Citadel: The Fourth Estate
Citadel: I Remember Me
UNC: Missing Survey Team
Asari Diplomacy
UNC: Rogue VI
Citadel: Homecoming
Citadel: Reporter's Request
UNC: Distress Call

RSTEIN

OK... question. I'm probably just being stupid. I'm on Edin Prime. The chick has joined my squad and we've dispatched the Geth at the dig site. I've gone up a hill and there are two concrete, pre-fab looking rooms on the hill. One door opens easily. The other is decrypted (easy). It says my sqaudmate, Caiden, has the ability to decrypt.

How do I get him to open the door?

RSTEIN said:
OK... question. I'm probably just being stupid. I'm on Edin Prime. The chick has joined my squad and we've dispatched the Geth at the dig site. I've gone up a hill and there are two concrete, pre-fab looking rooms on the hill. One door opens easily. The other is decrypted (easy). It says my sqaudmate, Kaiden, has the ability to decrypt.

How do I get him to open the door?
He doesn't open the door. You have to. I know it doesn't make sense.

Phthisis

The Lamonster said:
He doesn't open the door. You have to. I know it doesn't make sense.

No, it makes sense. Kaiden is the only one at that stage in the game who has decryption in his abilities.

The rule goes like this: someone in your party (doesn't matter who) has to have decryption or electronics trained in order for you to be able to open up doors or chests and salvage.

Phthisis said:
No, it makes sense. Kaiden is the only one at that stage in the game who has decryption in his abilities.

The rule goes like this: someone in your party (doesn't matter who) has to have decryption or electronics trained in order for you to be able to open up doors or chests and salvage.
No it doesn't make sense! Kaiden has the skills so why doesn't he open the door? I love the game but I'd rather Kaiden walk his ass up to the door and open it himself.

What's the in-universe explanation for this? Do party members with the skills just verbally walk you through the process of decryption? I don't get it.

RSTEIN said:
Ah, ok guys, thanks. But I still have to play the decryption mini game, right?
correcto. If you fail, better hope you have some magical omni-gel.

beerbelly

Banned
Opening decryption doors or boxes is useful for exp and money (when you eventually sell those items). Having said that, nothing is important behind that door you're referring to.

^ yes can play the mini game or use omni gel to skip the mini game. You can turn your inventory items into omni gels if you're abundant with items.

Phthisis

The Lamonster said:
No it doesn't make sense! Kaiden has the skills so why doesn't he open the door? I love the game but I'd rather Kaiden walk his ass up to the door and open it himself.

What's the in-universe explanation for this? Do party members with the skills just verbally walk you through the process of decryption? I don't get it.

Oh, well yeah that makes sense story-wise. I thought you meant it didn't make sense as far as being a tutorial for how to play the game (and why you need someone with decryption in order to open stuff).

Ventrue

PedroLumpy said:
*APOLOGIES FOR BIG POST*

You've missed a few on the Citadel. Do you have a save on the Citadel still?

Give me a minute to list the ones you've missed on UNCs.

Go to Erebus system in the Styx Theta Cluster. There is a quest called Listening Post Alpha. This also leads to another one called Deposit Sigma 23.

Also, there is a freighter in the Caspian system of the Maroon sea cluster. This is for Derelict Freighter (not the Lost Freighter that you've done).

Go to the Attican Beta Cluster and then Hercules. You should get a transmission for a quest called Lost Module.

On the Citadel, you missed "Our Own Worst Enemy" which is had from talking to a guy in the upper wards staging a protest after completing all four middle planets.

You also missed "Dr. Michel is Safe." If you go talk to her after the bit with Garrus, she'll thank you. After changing areas (or if you never did that encounter), you walk into the medbay and she will give you a quest.

So there are four UNCs you can do and two sidequests you missed on the Citadel. The four UNCs should be enough if the collection quests don't count (I don't think they do, but I'm not sure).

Also, about Liara's planet being worth more than Virmire and Ilos; getting Liara is a quest, going to the Council, becoming a Spectre (with Tali) is also a quest; I'm not sure Ilos even counts as a quest at all. But yeah, Asari Ally is way harder to get than anything else.

RSTEIN

Man... I suck at the decryption mini game! :lol I've come across three of them and I've failed at them all... :(

Edit: I should also add that I am FUCKIN LOVIN this game!

I'm a soldier by the way...

Ventrue said:
You've missed a few on the Citadel. Do you have a save on the Citadel still?

Give me a minute to list the ones you've missed on UNCs.

Go to Erebus system in the Styx Theta Cluster. There is a quest called Listening Post Alpha. This also leads to another one called Deposit Sigma 23.

Also, there is a freighter in the Caspian system of the Maroon sea cluster. This is for Derelict Freighter (not the Lost Freighter that you've done).

Go to the Attican Beta Cluster and then Hercules. You should get a transmission for a quest called Lost Module.

On the Citadel, you missed "Our Own Worst Enemy" which is had from talking to a guy in the upper wards staging a protest after completing all four middle planets.

You also missed "Dr. Michel is Safe." If you go talk to her after the bit with Garrus, she'll thank you. After changing areas (or if you never did that encounter), you walk into the medbay and she will give you a quest.

So there are four UNCs you can do and two sidequests you missed on the Citadel. The four UNCs should be enough if the collection quests don't count (I don't think they do, but I'm not sure).

Also, about Liara's planet being worth more than Virmire and Ilos; getting Liara is a quest, going to the Council, becoming a Spectre (with Tali) is also a quest; I'm not sure Ilos even counts as a quest at all. But yeah, Asari Ally is way harder to get than anything else.

I can't go back for the Citadel stuff unfortunately, I had nagging feeling that I might regret saving over that file. I did the other three UNC stuff, still not enough. I'll see if it's enough with Ilos, failing that, I guess I gotta do the collecting stuff. Anyway thanks for the help.

Draft

I went into ME expecting Wrex to be my favorite NPC, but Garrus quickly took over that spot, and his VO is a big reason why. Very, very funny stuff.

g23

European pre-madonna
Man just finished the game! What a ride!

For me the favorite part was when you were on the ruins of Ilos, then you take that ride through the frozen cyro chambers the Protheans locked themselves in. The music is just majestic! And then the trap came from the Prothean AI, i was like oh shit!, then I went up and found out the twist of the whole plot! Awesome stuff bioware!

JeStaH

Ventrue said:
Wrex + Garrus is easily the best squad.

I have to respectfully disagree.

Liara, Ashley and my female sheppard. I just don't get tired of staring at their asses during elevator rides. :D

The only three characters in the game that are actually fun and memorable are Wrex, Garrus and Ashley. The rest are rather forgettable. Especially Tali and Kaidan. Liara is more memorable (sex with a blue alien isn't something you can easily unsee)

A few interesting things about voice acting.

Brandon Keener, Garrus's voice actor, played minor roles in many movies and videogames.. He'll apparently also be in Saint's Row 2.

Jennifer Hale who voiced the female Shepard (so much better than the male) has also done voice acting as Naomi Hunter (whoever that is) in all Metal Gear Solid games, and is currently working in MGS4 for the same character.

Ventrue

hooijdonk17 said:
The only three characters in the game that are actually fun and memorable are Wrex, Garrus and Ashley. The rest are rather forgettable. Especially Tali and Kaidan. Liara is more memorable (sex with a blue alien isn't something you can easily unsee)

I'd disagree. I think Kaiden is actually okay, but Liara is insanely boring because she has absolutely zero personality and speaks in an expressionless monotone.

I never saw why people hated Carth (Kaiden original) in KOTOR either.

I also don't like Tali because she never says anything funny/cool and her voice annoys me. So I like four out of the six.

Ventrue said:
I never saw why people hated Carth (Kaiden original) in KOTOR either.

The problem, I think, is that the models just don't fit with the backgrounds. Both are angsty characters who've done something bad in the past and are dying to find ways to bait you to inquire about it, for no good reason.

At least if they looked like they are actually half the part their stories suggest, it could've worked. But Carth looks and sounds like a whiny pussy and Kaiden looks and sounds just as interesting as a doorknob.

qirex99

Banned
i just finished this as well...got the paragon, but got the medium ending cuz i let the alliance....

Anyhow, this game is really amazing. I was kinda worried re: the talk of the graphic bugs etc, but honestly, the ONLY thing I saw bad was texture pop-in. But we all know thats an UE3 thing (gears has it too).

I was kinda dissapointed w/ the sidefetches, but the main quest was so incredible, its like bvitching about a freebie.

The mako took some time, but here's my advice - try orienting the turret straight. See how the controls are much more consistent? I think that the mako was designed to play using the turret a lot. Once i got the hang of it, i was riding around zoomed in w/ the turret blastin stuff.

I was really surprised how much FUN the combat is. Normally RPG combat is BORING!

The last boss battle was a real treat. I wasnt prepared for such real-time quickeness and attacking. Very visceral. In fact ALL the combat especially fighting geth w/ rail ext/kinet stab/tungest VII shottys was incredible. Not too difficult - just SPECTRELISCIOUS!

the ONLY time I got frustrated was when I met benezia the FIRSt 30 times...aargh!

Anyhow, thanks for a great ride Bioware!

Ventrue

hooijdonk17 said:
Jennifer Hale who voiced the female Shepard (so much better than the male) has also done voice acting as Naomi Hunter (whoever that is) in all Metal Gear Solid games, and is currently working in MGS4 for the same character.

She was also Bastila in KOTOR, though I think this is fairly well known.

EDIT: Hey, she's Samus in Metroid Prime.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Every single time I tried to speak to Kaiden he was too busy sweating outside the bedroom and couldn't even muster the energy to feign interest in my character. Fuck you, Kaiden!

Ventrue

TheDuce22 said:
Is it even possible to start a new character on hardcore without carrying over stats? Ive been getting dominated on every planet.

Yeah, I've done Insanity with a new character. It is really frustrating towards the beginning, but it gets a lot better as you level up.

urk said:
Every single time I tried to speak to Kaiden he was too busy sweating outside the bedroom and couldn't even muster the energy to feign interest in my character. Fuck you, Kaiden!

It took me a while to realise that Kaiden's sweating/turning and Liara's looking/standing are loading screens.

Hellraizer said:
Probably one of my favourite lines from Wrex (while saving Liara)

Shepard: "Joker, get the Normandy ready!"
Wrex: "If I die in here, I'll kill him"

:lol

My favorite is from the
Rachni Queen Possession
:

"This should be an interesting conversation."

Steveko

PedroLumpy said:
I can't go back for the Citadel stuff unfortunately, I had nagging feeling that I might regret saving over that file. I did the other three UNC stuff, still not enough. I'll see if it's enough with Ilos, failing that, I guess I gotta do the collecting stuff. Anyway thanks for the help.

I missed 2 Citadel and 2 UNC quests, and didn't get Assari ally. I had a save before Ilos, so i went back and did the 2 UNC quests. I couldn't go back for the 2 on the Citadel. Then redid Ilos and got the achievement right after Saren throws the grenade.

With any luck you should get the achievemnet at the end of Ilos.

RSTEIN

MAN! I'm loving this. I just became a scepter! This game is incredible... and I haven't even explored the galaxy yet!

I didn't get Garrus tho... got kind of sidetracked... will I run into him again? I'm assuming so.

Walshicus

17005.jpg

CushVA

BenjaminBirdie said:
My favorite is from the
Rachni Queen Possession
:

"This should be an interesting conversation."

or:
"Great, the bugs are going to write songs about you"

Also, the Volus at
Rift Station
has a great line something about
how one of his coworkers head was sliced open like a melon

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Haha, Spectre, not scepter. And don't worry about exploring the galaxy. You don't get to do that anyway. Hmm, missed Garrus? What about Wrex? You should have both before embarking on your main three quests. I did, anyway. I had everyone save for one character, actually.

More funny dialog.

"And so he dies anyway. What was the point of that?" (again, it's all in the delivery...)

IoCaster

Damn, that geth colossus can take a bunch of sniper rounds before it goes down. I musta died like 10 times trying to kill that fucker. :(

Also, I think I got gipped out of some xp on 2 thresher maw kills. I wore them down with the mako and finished them off on foot, but never got the xp popup thingie in the lower right hud. This game has some good replay incentive, but I'll lose interest if I don't get credit for the hard kills.

Top Bottom