• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Walshicus

Captain Glanton said:
Super Secret
Amnesia
Spoilers Below! Beware!

I was kidding. He was worried about our tagging spoilers, so I made one up.
I hope you're happy with the confusion you've wrought and the damage you've done. Bastard. :)

Heh... "wrought". I like that word.

h_a_t

Damn-it, I just finished the game...kick-ass for the most part, but I was mad I couldn't accomplish the
romantic path with both Liara and Ashley. I thought I was on the path with both but ended up with only Liara...wtf?!
Can you end up with both?

h_a_t said:
Damn-it, I just finished the game...kick-ass for the most part, but I was mad I couldn't accomplish the
romantic path with both Liara and Ashley. I thought I was on the path with both but ended up with only Liara...wtf?!
No, just one ;)

arhra

h_a_t said:
No. The closest you can get is
if you keep stringing them both along long enough, they come and confront you in the comm room after one of the story planets, and force you to choose between them. There's a "what about a threesome?" option, but Ashley is a prude and won't even contemplate the idea (the fact that Liara isn't human probably doesn't help, either :lol), meaning you automatically end up with Liara if you try it (infact, Ash is incredibly easy to piss off throughout that conversation, she has serious jealousy issues).

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Office (and indeed, most of NYC) is utterly dead today. Got bored and left early.
Guess what I'll be playing! [/singsong]

Speaking of space monkeys, that's the quest where you can glitch shit up and get unlimited Paragon points! :lol

arhra said:
No. The closest you can get is
if you keep stringing them both along long enough, they come and confront you in the comm room after one of the story planets, and force you to choose between them. There's a "what about a threesome?" option, but Ashley is a prude and won't even contemplate the idea (the fact that Liara isn't human probably doesn't help, either :lol), meaning you automatically end up with Liara if you try it (infact, Ash is incredibly easy to piss off throughout that conversation, she has serious jealousy issues).

My favorite part of romancing Ashley is that
right afterward, there's a scene on the bridge in which she bitches out Liara about some plot point or something. The timing really made it look like she was cashing in on her new relationship with the Captain and lording it over the alien girl. I loved it.

haircut

BenjaminBirdie said:
MONKEYS.

I was wondering why I didn't get the Scholar Achievement.

There are MONKEYS.
The monkeys aren't part of that achievement.

You can get the achievement long before that mission unlocks. Before first leaving the Citadel, actually.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
OMG guys. I don't really like RPG's, but holy shit. I got this game for christmas and haven't stopped yet. To me this revolutionized RPG's and sets a new gold standard. The voice acting and story is hands down the best I've seen. I'm in love.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
uhg Double post lag.

I guess I can add that I'm sure the phrase "Massively Erect" has been thrown about at least a dozen times by now, but as far as gaming goes, its dead on.

Edit 2: Unless the ending blows amirite?

bluemax

Banned
Mejilan said:
To confirm, I too got the Scholar achievement before I ever even left the Citadel to begin with.

That's when you're supposed to get it.

One thing I'm disappointed is that on new game+ I can't change my character class. So now on a replay I'll have to be on the harder difficulty without all my fun levels and gear. And if I want the super high level achievements I have to play a new game with my old save. I think this means I have to play like 3 more times to get all the achievements, but maybe I'm wrong.

arhra

I think this means I have to play like 3 more times to get all the achievements, but maybe I'm wrong.
You need a bare minimum of 3 playthroughs (plus some partial games) to get all achievements, and that's if you had a plan to do so before you ever started playing the game (three different ally combos, normal/hardcore/insanity, minimum of two games to hit 60, and you need to spend at least some time on all three pure classes to get all the mastery/expert achievements).

Took me 4 completions (first one was a soldier, who got the story-based achievements, completionist, power gamer, a few of the weapon expert ones and various other easy ones like Scholar; second and third were a vanguard, and got me 4/6 ally achievements, paragon, extreme power gamer, Hardcore, and more weapon expert/biotic mastery achievements; fourth was a quick blast through on Insanity with my level 60 vanguard ignoring most of the sidequests), plus another mostly-complete game (with an infiltrator, for the final two ally achievements, renegade, snipers and some tech power achievements; i'm finishing this game off now to actually see the full renegade ending), plus a couple of partials (for the expert/mastery achievements i needed that you can only get with an adept/engineer).

Mejilan

Noveria down.

NOT ONE NEW SIDEQUEST OPENED UP. Awesome. After a quick trip to the Citadel to pick up new gear and what I imagine will be my final grenade and medi-gel upgrades (capacy of 10 for each), I'm headed straight to Virmire.

Phthisis

Mejilan said:
Noveria down.

NOT ONE NEW SIDEQUEST OPENED UP. Awesome. After a quick trip to the Citadel to pick up new gear and what I imagine will be my final grenade and medi-gel upgrades (capacy of 10 for each), I'm headed straight to Virmire.

They should've. Should be a new cluster near the interior of the galaxy that has one or two sidequests. Additionally, have you done the quest on Earth's moon?

Mejilan

Yeah, long ago. Actually, that entire system was a pretty big letdown. If you're talking about Paragon-related quests, I probably did them long ago, since I used a glitch to gain something like 2000 Paragon points fairly early on into the game. :D

I also did the Tali (Geth data files), Garrus (evil doctor), and Wrex (ancient armor) subquests, also quite some time ago.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
BenjaminBirdie said:
Beaten. It's unfuckingbelievable.

You are IN a fucking kick ass spectacular Space Epic.

Yea the last 3 hours are that epic. This is the real meat of the game.

Foil

Started playing this game yesterday and it's really awesome. I love the entire world they've created here. Shit, I've played for a good 9 hours and have barely touched the story... yes I'm slow. Combat can be tough at times, and I can't figure out how to switch character control or pause combat like the E3 demo (or did that all get removed from the game?). Either way, this is my GOTY by far.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
How much harder is hardcore and insanity. Easy enough to create a new character or should I keep my level 50 and just plow through them?

Foil said:
Started playing this game yesterday and it's really awesome. I love the entire world they've created here. Shit, I've played for a good 9 hours and have barely touched the story... yes I'm slow. Combat can be tough at times, and I can't figure out how to switch character control or pause combat like the E3 demo (or did that all get removed from the game?). Either way, this is my GOTY by far.

The direct ally control and micromanagement was removed unfortunately.

Johnkers

Kadey said:
How much harder is hardcore and insanity. Easy enough to create a new character or should I keep my level 50 and just plow through them?

Since the enemies scale I actually found it easier to start a new character on hardcore. The first enemies in the game took down my high level 40 Vanguard right away :lol

Walshicus

ElectricBlue187 said:
I can't bring myself to finish the bit from lvl 59 to 60. Feels like I'm grinding xp now :(

Put the game on the shelf until the first episode is up. That *was* my plan. Was until I got the Mass Effect shakes and started a third play through.

OK after seeing quite the bitching in this thread I wasn't going to buy it. Well Santa got me it. Holy Shit this game is awesome. Played last night and the next thing I knew it was 4am.
I'm a little over ten hours in and doing as many side quests as possible.
So much complaining about texture pop in. Where is it? I have hardly noticed any. I assume it's coming.?? The game does has it's issues but they are to be expected in a game of this scope.
My question is can I continue to play run and gun. I have really only controlled my teamates on where to go on the map. I have dabbled in hitting the bumpers and controlling them but I'd like them to just do their own thing. Am I going to have issues with this down the line?

CitizenCope said:
OK after seeing quite the bitching in this thread I wasn't going to buy it. Well Santa got me it. Holy Shit this game is awesome. Played last night and the next thing I knew it was 4am.
I'm a little over ten hours in and doing as many side quests as possible.
So much complaining about texture pop in. Where is it? I have hardly noticed any. I assume it's coming.?? The game does has it's issues but they are to be expected in a game of this scope.
My question is can I continue to play run and gun. I have really only controlled my teamates on where to go on the map. I have dabbled in hitting the bumpers and controlling them but I'd like them to just do their own thing. Am I going to have issues with this down the line?

Yes and no. There will be a few tough fights where you'll want to control everyone and pause the action to get your bearings, but once you level everyone up nicely, you'll find them kicking just the right amount of ass for you.

CitizenCope said:

This is why you should ignore GAF's opinion on everything, unless it's my opinion

So much complaining about texture pop in. Where is it? I have hardly noticed any. I assume it's coming.??

It's very noticeable in the citadel council towers when the characters are speaking and the camera looks at them. Also when the Normandy flies into the citadel it's very noticeable

But i'm not so much of a graphics whore for it to bother me substantially

dankir

Mejilan said:
To confirm, I too got the Scholar achievement before I ever even left the Citadel to begin with.

I somehow missed the Prothean Codex entry... I'm screwed until my 2nd playthrough.

Walshicus

Oh, I just found the perfect custom soundtrack for this game! I had Battlestar Galactica's Mini-Series OST track "The Storm and the Dead" playing as the cutscene to the first approach of the Citadel ran. Good stuff.

Sylar

Banned
I got it for Christmas. About 7 hours in
I picked Nitrous or w/e after the Citadel. Just got Assyria arrested.
. It's not possible to skip the vehicle sections is there?
I'm at my first one where the greck ambush you when you try to get to Plush 15 or w/e and I CANNOT beat it for the live of me. It's pissing me off.

Sylar said:
I'm at my first one where the greck ambush you when you try to get to Plush 15 or w/e and I CANNOT beat it for the live of me. It's pissing me off.
Spelling fix:

Novaria
Assari
Geth
Peak 15

Sylar

Banned
The Lamonster said:
Spelling fix:

Novaria
Assari
Geth
Peak 15

Dude I just played this game for like 5 hours straight, the last thing I care about is spelling
of characters that die

jedimike

It's so hard not to read everyone's posts... but I want to avoid any spoilers.

This is the first game this entire year that has "grabbed" me. I stopped playing Halo 3... never finished Bioshock and got bored with Orange Box. All of those games are really good, but I just didn't get sucked into them. This game has me and I can't wait to go back into to the universe created by Bioware.

Good stuff!

Sir Fragula said:
Oh, I just found the perfect custom soundtrack for this game! I had Battlestar Galactica's Mini-Series OST track "The Storm and the Dead" playing as the cutscene to the first approach of the Citadel ran. Good stuff.

danny.jpg

But...the music!!

BenjaminBirdie said:
[IMG.]http://benjaminbirdie.typepad.com/photos/lost/danny.jpg[/IMG]

But...the music!!
Danny Mothers! I love film.

And yes. Don't be silly. Experience the actual music, it's like .33 of the fun of the game.

Sylar said:

Are you using left trigger + right analog click to zoom in and fire. With this method the turret fire from the MAKO seems to be a lot more accurate, and rocket fire is a lot more accurate as well. Using this method and dodging attacks made vehicle play a lot easier for me.

Walshicus

The Lamonster said:
And yes. Don't be silly. Experience the actual music, it's like .33 of the fun of the game.
I'm on my third playthrough. I have the OST. I can't tell you how many times I've heared the soundtrack.

Sir Fragula said:
I'm on my third playthrough. I have the OST. I can't tell you how many times I've heared the soundtrack.

Heh, you know I can kind of see the appeal of using Custom Soundtracks on a fourth or fifth playthough.

Azih

BenjaminBirdie said:
Heh, you know I can kind of see the appeal of using Custom Soundtracks on a fourth or fifth playthough.
The only good tune in the soundtrack is the title theme really.

Top Bottom