• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Sylar said:
Oh you dodge attacks? I just assumed it was like WOW and they autohit :(.

Yes, attacks are dodgable in ME. Obviously this is pretty much impossible against assault fire and the like, but its possible to dodge slow projectile fire like rockets, slow biotic attacks, shotgun carnage blast, etc. I suggest you go into your menu options and change auto-aim level to NORMAL. Minimizes auto-aim and the game plays a little more like a straight shooter where you just have to take recoil into consideration for your cross-hairs.

MAKO combat for me was generally just zoom click fire rockets and turret, use jump jets to dodge enemy missile fire, etc. Very simple. Typically people don't know about holding left trigger+right click. If you don't use this, every other option tends to be pretty inaccurate and I could see how people are losing battles.

Sylar said:
I knew about LT+RB, but how do you jump?

Hold A button to jump

LT+RB is a decent zoom mode that shoots rockets. But LT + RIGHT ANALOG CLICK is an even better zoom than that, and has two levels to it for long range fire. Not sure if you knew about this or not, but that's probably what your referring to.

Sylar

Banned
OHHHH LT + RA I did not know that, or about the A button. Perhaps I was dieing because I kept running into the shields hoping to run them over?

Meh. I wish you could just walk there ala Kotor :/.

Please tell me theres only like one more car part in this game :/.

harSon

Banned
How exactly does healing work? I'm roughly 4-5 hours in and still don't completely understand it :lol
I'm currently destroying those roots connected to the mind controlling plant and could REALLY use a heal. The option to do so hasn't been lit for quite a while...

SuperBonk

Hey, I was just wondering, is it possible to unlock the throw achievement with other characters or does it have to be with Shepard?

SuperBonk

harSon said:
How exactly does healing work? I'm roughly 4-5 hours in and still don't completely understand it :lol
I'm currently destroying those roots connected to the mind controlling plant and could REALLY use a heal. The option to do so hasn't been lit for quite a while...
I was at that exact same part, without any medi-gel, and was wondering the same thing. That's when I found out that health regenerates on its own (at least it did for me, maybe I had some armor upgrade, but I'm pretty sure it regenerates no matter what). Also, you get medi-gel for killing some enemies, but I don't think
the zombies created by the plant give you any

JeStaH

harSon said:

Keep going, there is a medical station on the 3rd or 4th level I think. You have to try and survive until then :)

Also as someone else mentioned, if you have any armor upgrades like First Aid Interface or Medical interface use that as it will slowly regenerate your health until you can get to the medical station.

Uncle

JeStaH said:
Keep going, there is a medical station on the 3rd or 4th level I think. You have to try and survive until then :)

Also as someone else mentioned, if you have any armor upgrades like First Aid Interface or Medical interface use that as it will slowly regenerate your health until you can get to the medical station.

Plus some skill will regenerate your health (only for soldier, I think) as well as some achivement bonus (Krogan ally, probably).

harSon

Banned
I'm on the 3rd level
The zombies are easy enough, my only problem is the Asari Clone but I should be able to disable her

JeStaH

Sylar said:
OHHHH LT + RA I did not know that, or about the A button. Perhaps I was dieing because I kept running into the shields hoping to run them over?

Meh. I wish you could just walk there ala Kotor :/.

Please tell me theres only like one more car part in this game :/.

:lol :lol :lol

Better give up now and play Kotor 2 instead. There are a lot more vehicle parts, especially if you are going to do the side quest planets.

Hey, I was just wondering, is it possible to unlock the throw achievement with other characters or does it have to be with Shepard?

All the "use throw, singularity, damping etc" achievements have to be done by sheppard. So you do have to have mutliple characters of different skill types in order to get all of them.

Gigglepoo

harSon said:
I'm on the 3rd level
The zombies are easy enough, my only problem is the Asari Clone but I should be able to disable her

I was stuck at the first place my first time through. Just go slow and save after ever encounter. And level up your First Aid with at least one character.

Coverly

BenjaminBirdie said:
Beaten. It's unfuckingbelievable.

You are IN a fucking kick ass spectacular Space Epic.

Probably a page late on this quote but it's the truth. The last couple of hours, especially at the last two sections were truly omfg moments. I wonder if the people that put bioshock over mass effect in their top 10's this year even got to the end. I thought Illos was amazing(does anyone have any wallpaper of that planet?), but the section after that just had me floored the whole time.

I finished it today at around 3am, 50+ hours in(Give one or two hrs for idleness). I'm going through it on hardcore now, and what I like is that your money and items carry over, but I wish I could reset the talent points so I could distribute them better. I also like how the items that you find even in eden prime are of the lvl 8 and up variety, so that you don't have to go through several chapters of useless low level junk.

For those of you who prefer the sniper path, what bonus combinations did you have? I have two +6 damage/+24% stability and one +30% weapons force, just wondering if there is a better combo to have.

JeStaH

harSon said:
I'm on the 3rd level

They are a pain especially on Insane! What I ended up doing is ordering my guys to stay behind, then I make the
zombies and asari clones chase me back to my guys, usually through a choke point like a door or something where I can pick them off. Then I concentrate all my special talents on the asari, throw, lift, neural shock etc..

Plus some skill will regenerate your health (only for soldier, I think) as well as some achivement bonus (Krogan ally, probably).

Ya forgot about those. Soldiers are nice to have in the party.

Coverly said:
For those of you who prefer the sniper path, what bonus combinations did you have? I have two +6 damage/+24% stability and one +30% weapons force, just wondering if there is a better combo to have.

Try Frictionless materials X2 and High Explosive rounds.. Take a second or so to cool down but fun to see the bodies fly.

Uncle

harSon said:
I'm on the 3rd level

A pretty easy strategy is to advance just so far as to get the creeps to attack you and then retreat to a better defensive position and let them come at you. Damping the clone makes her pretty much a non factor.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
[What class is the most fun?

I want to play a pure class.

Should I go:

Assault
Engineer or
Biotics

I'm interested in mainly which can I kick more ass with Engineer or Biotics really. And why you think so.

golem

Coverly said:
Probably a page late on this quote but it's the truth. The last couple of hours, especially at the last two sections were truly omfg moments.
completely agree... i was starting to lose faith in game endings lately but Mass Effect's was just epic and completely fulfilling. i demand moar.

Tokubetsu

Just beat the game. Wow, while not my GOTY and definitely not RPG fo year, it was still great. A bit closer to an 8/10 in my book. The last 2 or so hours of the game really made it for me. I think I creamed myself more than a handful of times.
Especially some of the cinematic shots near the end. Like Sovereign on the council, the naval battles, saren popping himself and then being resurrected as spider/husk saren. All had a cinematic flair about it that I love. The the final shot at the end of your Shephard infront of earth
SOMEONE FIND ME A WALLPAPER OF THAT PRONTO!

Aside from inventory fixes etc, My only hope for the sequel is that they somehow make it tailored so that depending on certain choices you made, the game plays out following them. Like what love interest you picked (I'd LOVE to see them take the romantic elements further and you form an actual close relationship with the girl you picked in the 1st game) and the other big decision
whether to put Udina or Anderson on the council. I chose Anderson of course, Udina can lick my balls

vumpler

vumpler said:

Should I go:

Assault
Engineer or
Biotics

I'm interested in mainly which can I kick more ass with Engineer or Biotics really. And why you think so.
Good question. I'm in for the answer as well :D

I have a recommendation for anyone wanting to play their own custom soundtrack. Check out http://www.ambient-nights.org. Most of his stuff is free to download and there is a lot of albums. He even has a series called Sol System with an album based off each planet in our solar system, so you can imagine it would fit very well with Mass Effect. Some really good ambient techno imo.

Phthisis

vumpler said:

Should I go:

Assault
Engineer or
Biotics

Soldier can be played like a run n' gun shooter. You're super hard to kill, but there will be some moments when you will need to use your teammates biotic and tech abilities.

Engineer will let you absurdly dominate any and all robot enemies (and they even have a move that affects organics, too, that does serious damage).

Biotics will probably be the most useful in any situation since you can throw, lift, stasis, and singularity. The only downside is that you can only train in pistols, so bring Ashley, Wrex, or Garrus along with you.

bluemax

Banned
arhra said:
You need a bare minimum of 3 playthroughs (plus some partial games) to get all achievements, and that's if you had a plan to do so before you ever started playing the game (three different ally combos, normal/hardcore/insanity, minimum of two games to hit 60, and you need to spend at least some time on all three pure classes to get all the mastery/expert achievements).

Took me 4 completions (first one was a soldier, who got the story-based achievements, completionist, power gamer, a few of the weapon expert ones and various other easy ones like Scholar; second and third were a vanguard, and got me 4/6 ally achievements, paragon, extreme power gamer, Hardcore, and more weapon expert/biotic mastery achievements; fourth was a quick blast through on Insanity with my level 60 vanguard ignoring most of the sidequests), plus another mostly-complete game (with an infiltrator, for the final two ally achievements, renegade, snipers and some tech power achievements; i'm finishing this game off now to actually see the full renegade ending), plus a couple of partials (for the expert/mastery achievements i needed that you can only get with an adept/engineer).

I checked the achievement guide on Gamefaqs before I started and had planned only 3 play throughs. On my first play through I got all the story based achievements, the paragon achievement, all of the combat achievements except pistol (figured I'd get this when playing as another class easily), 2 ally achievements, the level 50 achievement and the Paramour one.

On a second play through I figure if I play as an Engineer and go renegade I can knock off all the achievements for Engineer, renegade and two more ally ones, also an achievement for Hardcore difficulty. Then I'd need another play through as a Biotic or whatever for those achievements and two more ally, plus insane difficulty. That should only leave me needing to get the high level achievements. Unless you get more EXP on higher difficulty levels since I hit 50 with no problem on Veteran or whatever it was.

arhra

Tokubetsu said:
and the other big decision
whether to put Udina or Anderson on the council. I chose Anderson of course, Udina can lick my balls
Er, that's not really the BIG decision...
that one just changes a bit of dialogue, the big one is whether you save the council or not... and of course what your overall morality leaning was

On a related note, i just finally finished my full-on-asshole renegade run (well, i went a bit soft towards the end after i maxed out my renegade bar and it was getting a bit boring being a jerk constantly, but i was full renegade, and less than 25% paragon...), and holy shit the ending is so different from the others i've seen. I think i might have seen them all now, actually, or at least the major variations.
My first game was mostly-renegade (just barely, i was probably around one conversation's difference away from being mostly-paragon) but saved the council (and amusingly, i've just realised now that i pegged that one as the least likely to be seen in a regular playthrough in my writeup of the different endings a few pages back...), second game was paragon/council dies, then paragon/save the council, and now renegade/council dies; all choosing Anderson because as i mentioned a page or two back, Udina needs to go eat a bag of dicks. Especially after he went totally space-nazi on me. Renegade/council dies is way darker than all the others, almost has a sort of Palpatine/Vader tone to it (largely thanks to the aforementioned Udina space-nazi thing)

I'll be incredibly impressed if they pull off what they've promised and carry your decisions through to the sequel without any cheeseball moves to force a reset and wipe their effects out...

That should only leave me needing to get the high level achievements. Unless you get more EXP on higher difficulty levels since I hit 50 with no problem on Veteran or whatever it was.
You don't. Even with all the exp bonuses (including Extreme Power Gamer), and doing all the sidequests, you max out at about 54-55 or so on your first playthrough, so you still need one more to hit 60.

Tokubetsu

arhra said:
Er, that's not really the BIG decision...
that one just changes a bit of dialogue, the big one is whether you save the council or not... and of course what your overall morality leaning was

On a related note, i just finally finished my full-on-asshole renegade run (well, i went a bit soft towards the end after i maxed out my renegade bar and it was getting a bit boring being a jerk constantly, but i was full renegade, and less than 25% paragon...), and holy shit the ending is so different from the others i've seen. I think i might have seen them all now, actually, or at least the major variations.
My first game was mostly-renegade (just barely, i was probably around one conversation's difference away from being mostly-paragon) but saved the council (and amusingly, i've just realised now that i pegged that one as the least likely to be seen in a regular playthrough in my writeup of the different endings a few pages back...), second game was paragon/council dies, then paragon/save the council, and now renegade/council dies; all choosing Anderson because as i mentioned a page or two back, Udina needs to go eat a bag of dicks. Especially after he went totally space-nazi on me. Renegade/council dies is way darker than all the others, almost has a sort of Palpatine/Vader tone to it (largely thanks to the aforementioned Udina space-nazi thing)

I'll be incredibly impressed if they pull off what they've promised and carry your decisions through to the sequel without any cheeseball moves to force a reset and wipe their effects out...

Well, not really a big decision but im hoping it turns out to be in the sequel.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Ok, seriously. This is my GOTY and I can say without hesitation one of THE best games I have ever played. I just completed Feros - my first mission after the Citadel. As a breather, I visted Luna (aka our moon) and Terpin to rescue a survey team.

The framerate isn't as bad as I was expecting but the texture pop in is WAY worse than I was expecting. Nothing is game breaking (so far I'm managing inventory well, but I can see how it could be a problem down the road) like some suggest on here. Far, far from it.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT BIOWARE! WOWOWOWOW!!!!!!

Tokubetsu

RSTEIN said:
Ok, seriously. This is my GOTY and I can say without hesitation one of THE best games I have ever played. I just completed Feros - my first mission after the Citadel. As a breather, I visted Luna (aka our moon) and Terpin to rescue a survey team.

The framerate isn't as bad as I was expecting but the texture pop in is WAY worse than I was expecting. Nothing is game breaking (so far I'm managing inventory well, but I can see how it could be a problem down the road) like some suggest on here. Far, far from it.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT BIOWARE! WOWOWOWOW!!!!!!

If you don't want the inventory to become a problem. STAY ON TOP OF IT FROM NOW. Seriously. Also, if you see shit piling up and it's gonna be awhile till the next shop, don't be afraid to turn it into omni gel. Especially if you have a party member that is good at decrypting etc, you are guaranteed to run into a shit ton more loot.

Bought the game for £20 in Gamestation on boxing day, waited until I got hold a new Falcon 360 before I started playing it.

According to my last save I'm 2hr06min into the game and...ruddy hell. This game is ruddy huge. The scope and depth of the universe Bioware have created is second to none, and I'm only 2 hours in! God knows what else is awaiting me in the solar system, I can see myself getting quite consumed by Mass Effect over the next week or so.

Foil

This is the type of game you just don't want to end. As for the framerate, I've seen some hitches and the odd rough patch or two, but it's been surprisingly smooth for me for the most part. Just gotta let all the textures load in before carrying on which doesn't take long. Though I'm playing on an SDTV, so I don't know if that would make the game run smoother? Could be better overall, but nowhere near what I was reading from some people.

Only other complaints are that I wish there was more. Lots more (and deeper) sidequests, more varitey to them, and change up the underground bases on those smaller explorer planets. Change the layouts, size, design, the colours, the item placement, the lighting, etc. That and bring back the ability to control each squadmate, and the pause combat feature from the E3 demo. I wish all the planets had sidequests as good and deep as the ones found on the main planets. Speaking of main planets, for the next game double the amount. I need/want more, the game is that good.

It's also a shame that there are tons and tons of planets on the map that can't be explored, hopefully they either add some via downloadable content or just really beef up ME2. My biggest complaint with the game is that I just want more of it, and that's not saying there isn't already lots here. GOTY easily imo. In terms of your squad I'd like to see atleast three or four additional squadmates in the sequel, plus the six you get in the first game. Maybe one Salarian, and then three others from new races.

RSTEIN said:
Ok, seriously. This is my GOTY and I can say without hesitation one of THE best games I have ever played.

QFT.

Just now starting my female career. Man, I really LOVED my male Shepard and I thought being a female would take me out of the experience. Now I'm wondering who my 'cannon' Shepard will be for ME2 XD. Probably my male, but still the female Shepard has some wonderful VA, and its like a completely new experience playing as her. I like her so much I wish I could replace her with Ashley or something in my Male career so I could sex myself :lol .

arhra

That and bring back the ability to control each squadmate, and the pause combat feature from the E3 demo.
I'm not sure i'd want that, personally. Looks cool in one video, but having to manually move your squad members around every single fight would get old, fast. What i would like is just individual move/attack commands on the command wheel (ie, rather than hitting the dpad to tell them both to move/attack, you bring up the command wheel, and use a command on each one seperately), which would give you 90% of the usefulness, but 10% of the annoyance.

vumpler

Can anyone who's beat the game once, or at least tried out each class to at least level 4, message me on any messenger. I just have about 5 questions that posting on the forum just isn't quick enough response time...

removed

rs7k

Mass Effect was an amazing experience. Bioware is truly the best RPG house on the market.

With that said, KOTOR is still a much better experience IMO. The story and characters seemed much deeper, there were more NPCs, and the worlds were more interesting. Maybe it's the Star Wars geek in me talking.

For ME2, I want to see some of the races' homelands. Go on the Turian homeworld, see what Asari cities are like, etc. That's what I felt was really missing from ME, not enough detail surrounding the other races.

Heck, I wouldn't mind not seeing Mass Effect on current-gen hardware, the premise of the world is so big that a launch title for the next round of hardware would kick all sorts of major ass.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Virmire done. I definitely must have finished the huge majority of the sidequests before Noveria, because I can rapidly see the end approaching, with nary a bump to slow me down. Virmire was actually a bit disappointing. Lame "boss" fight, and each of the combat scenarios felt empty and lacking. Way too much walking, not enough fighting. I thought the other main story planets struck a better balance and were, as a consequence, more exciting. I guess one more trip to the Citadel to see if any more grenade/medi-gel expansions, licenses, or sidequests open up, and then off to Ilos and presumably, the end-game.

Considering how much I've done (level 49, 53 hours on the clock), should I have gotten one of the ally achievements by now? I'm a bit concerned. Starting to think that I borked myself by doing too many of the optional sidequests before I had my final party decided.

Ventrue

rs7k said:
With that said, KOTOR is still a much better experience IMO. The story and characters seemed much deeper, there were more NPCs, and the worlds were more interesting. Maybe it's the Star Wars geek in me talking.

Voice acting.

I just can't play KOTOR any more after Mass Effect because of this.

Johnkers

Considering how much I've done (level 49, 53 hours on the clock), should I have gotten one of the ally achievements by now? I'm a bit concerned. Starting to think that I borked myself by doing too many of the optional sidequests before I had my final party decided.

There's two requirements, one for side missions and one for regular missions. Hopefully you just need to do more of the regular missions to get em

Mass Effect is kind of like the opposite of Oblivion in a lot of ways. In Mass Effect the main quest is awesome, but the side missions are repetitive and boring. In Oblivion the main quest sucks because it's so repetitive but the side missions are really fun and make the game.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
No Means Nomad said:
Mass Effect is kind of like the opposite of Oblivion in a lot of ways. In Mass Effect the main quest is awesome, but the side missions are repetitive and boring. In Oblivion the main quest sucks because it's so repetitive but the side missions are really fun and make the game.

Pretty apt. Oblivion also has a more convincing illusion of an expansive world. Mass Effect, on the other hand, has maybe 10 carefully sculpted locations, and that's about it.

vilmer_

I don't normally swear, but this fucking game is absolutely fucking AMAZING. A friend and I were sitting there wondering how in the fuck people think Bioshock is a better game. This game shits all over it, it's not even fucking funny.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
If I'm doing something like the optional Rogue VI mission on Luna can I go off and do other stuff before I clear out the third station or would that start the whole thing over the next time I go back? I figured I'd try it but my characters aren't powerful enough yet for the rocket assault drones.

I don't know how anyone said this game is 15 hours. I did about every side mission in the citadel that was possible before going on any of the main missions.

Kittonwy

Banned
Mejilan said:
Virmire done. I definitely must have finished the huge majority of the sidequests before Noveria, because I can rapidly see the end approaching, with nary a bump to slow me down. Virmire was actually a bit disappointing. Lame "boss" fight, and each of the combat scenarios felt empty and lacking. Way too much walking, not enough fighting. I thought the other main story planets struck a better balance and were, as a consequence, more exciting. I guess one more trip to the Citadel to see if any more grenade/medi-gel expansions, licenses, or sidequests open up, and then off to Ilos and presumably, the end-game.

I got my soldier ally achievement pretty late in the game as well, I wouldn't worry yet.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
vilmer_ said:
I don't normally swear, but this fucking game is absolutely fucking AMAZING. A friend and I were sitting there wondering how in the fuck people think Bioshock is a better game. This game shits all over it, it's not even fucking funny.

Yup, I've been fortunate to play all the big titles this year - Bioshock, Halo 3, Uncharted, Orange Box, Assassin's Creed, CoD4, RC Future. I agree 100% - Mass Effect is head and shoulders above the rest of the field - which says a whole lot considering the amazing games we've had this year.

beerbelly

Banned
Mejilan said:
Pretty apt. Oblivion also has a more convincing illusion of an expansive world. Mass Effect, on the other hand, has maybe 10 carefully sculpted locations, and that's about it.

Even then, most of the environments were too N64-ish (in simplicity). The game kept reminding me of barren straight forward environments in Winback 64 or even Hybrid Heaven 64. But in the end it was still an amazing experience.

Top Bottom